Houston Premium Outlets Developments

citykid09

Latest thing I heard from another Fairfield resident who attended recent community association meeting:

They will be constructing a temporary cement plant on the commercial land in front of Fairfield between Cypresswood and the 290 feeder (To facilitate the building of the outlets and Fairfield Towne Center). There is much concern about the environmental impact of air pollutants to Fairfield residents while it is in operation. Also the sign that was posted was placed so that it could not be seen and so that no one would oppose the plant. Someone "accidently" found the sign, but I don't know if the 180 days had already passed for filing opposition.

Regarding an exit off of 290 after Mason Rd., the word at that meeting apparently was that there will be an exit constructed (first a temporary exit for the cement plant, and later a permanent exit).

I did not attended that meeting myself, so this is all second hand info. Anyone able to confirm or clarify these issues?

Regarding the need for thoroughfares in Fairfield: I for one don't want them. Yes, we need more appropriate enty and exit points from the neighborhood, but I don't want Mason going all the way to 2920. Used to be that the only people driving through Fairfield were residents or visitors. With major roads connecting 290 to 2920 via Fairfield comes a lot more transient traffic. I don't want to see Fairfield become a route to elsewhere instead of a community -- In my opinion, that would truly be our doom.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if there's no North-South corridor from FF, what happens? Ultimately, it's going to happen....

I passed by the new park and ride construction at Skinner and 290 last week....isn't it supposed to be more than a Park & Ride though? It only looked like a parking garage...

if there's no North-South corridor from FF, what happens? Ultimately, it's going to happen....

I passed by the new park and ride construction at Skinner and 290 last week....isn't it supposed to be more than a Park & Ride though? It only looked like a parking garage...

There's going to be a 75,000 sqft commercial development and 300-unit apartment complex associated with the P&R also.

http://www.metrosolutions.org/go/doc/1068/116856/

thought so.....I remember when it was the woods out there...simply amazing....that area has exploded...I used to go down Skinner to the graphic artisit I dealt with and it was a pleasant drive...not anymore..

Not sure where they're going to be able to put a 300-unit apt on that property unless its going to be some sort of midrise.

The plan on the Metro website makes it look like that P&R/commercial/apartment development will extend onto the adjacent land with the old HP campus. Am I seeing that correctly? Are they planning to demolish all of that? There is a drainage pond on the sketch that looks just like the one they just redid on the east side of that campus next to the bayou.

I drive by that new Park and Ride all the time. It looks to me that it is all going to be west of the HP facility. I am glad to see that place being used for something, even if it isn't permanent. Something I don't see either on location or on the plans is an elevated connection to 290. To really get serious about this P&R there should be some plan to extend the HOV.

• 2 months later...

From the Simon Property Group Quarterly Results:

- Houston Premium Outlets - a 433,000 square foot upscale manufacturers'

outlet center in Houston, Texas. The center is scheduled to open in May

of 2008.

I'd provide the link, but there is no additional info....

How much farther northwest is Houston sprawling because of this thing? Are there more communities going up further down from Fairfield?

You can bet there will be.

I read that the nation's largest two residential development groups have bought large parcels out there.

And I don't think that is Cy-Fair I.S.D. either, but Waller and Katy I.S.D. Amazing. This outlet center is reminding me of Katy Mills, which is on the last little strip of Houston development, though communities (like mind, Firethorne), are being built further west of Katy Mills.

15 years from now, when you're an old fart like me, you'll be amazed at how much things have changed. When I was in HS, where I live now (Longwood) was just forest on the edge of what I knew as the suburbs around Lakewood Forest. Now you can drive 15-20 minutes from here, still be in Cypress to where all the new growth is now. Imagine what it'll be like in another decade or so.

15 years from now, when you're an old fart like me, you'll be amazed at how much things have changed. When I was in HS, where I live now (Longwood) was just forest on the edge of what I knew as the suburbs around Lakewood Forest. Now you can drive 15-20 minutes from here, still be in Cypress to where all the new growth is now. Imagine what it'll be like in another decade or so.

I remember when Hwy 6 was just 2 lanes from 290 till I-10, aslo 529 was two lanes and it was more like a Farm to Market road. FM 529 and Fry Rd was really country but you will not tell now and wait till they build Grand Parkway. That East area of 529 will be all development probably strip centers.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am excited about the Houston Premium Outlets. I go to the Round Rock Premium Outlets about once or twice every month. It's a great alternative to San Marcos, which seems to have been taken over by Mexican Buses. Being 22 years old it has been weird watching the U.S. 290 Corridor be constructed, and grown the way it has. I remember when Fairfield was out there all alone, now it is practically the gateway to Houston. I am sure Premium will do great with all of the new communities planned for the area like the Bridgelands, and I see they are adding an exit past Mason so traffic will not have to sit through the Mason U.S. 290 light.

Archived