Sim Cities

Sim City  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Have you now or at any point in your life played a version of Sim City?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know/never heard of it

This thread has got me interested in Sim City again. As soon as I return from my vacation in Europe in a couple of weeks, I have some time at home off from work. I think it's time to start a new city.

Put the CD back down, dude. You're walking a dark path.

It's already too late for bachanon.

Although I have to admit, I've been tempted.

• 4 weeks later...

It depends on your computer memory. I have a very large computer memory, so my computer doesn't shut down, unless I am in the middle of my Downtown zoomed in all the way and zoom out with my mouse scroll. There is just so much to load in that city (population at 1.5 million), that my computer sometimes can't keep up. My suburbs are always fine, though.

It depends on your computer memory. I have a very large computer memory, so my computer doesn't shut down, unless I am in the middle of my Downtown zoomed in all the way and zoom out with my mouse scroll. There is just so much to load in that city (population at 1.5 million), that my computer sometimes can't keep up. My suburbs are always fine, though.

if don't mind me asking, how much ram and hard drive memory do you have? what is your processor speed?

I have all 4. been playing it since i was 8.

Good to hear that everyone else has been addicted to simcity like a drug like I did. I mean, its not good, but I mean I know im not alone :D

do any of you guys use cheats? i've never gone looking for them. i felt it would take the fun out of the game.

man, I cheat a ton. this is to make the game function more realistically or let me play a certain way though...sometimes though I just want to build so i plop a magic simoleon tree that drops me several billion in cash a month(can't leave it there for too long, if you have too much money the game will end)

I like to screw around and change values for how long it takes sims to commute etc, and I make custom lots with a tool and these lots have jobs and can be plopped down. Instead of playing city planner you can play developer...

I also like to change the textures on my trains and el rails and buses to a paint job for my city's transit agency...

I wish I could make custom buildings. I have the program you use and have worked on several buildings but never finish them, probably because i get frustrated when trying to do things like make the lights that come on at night...

:D

It just takes a Khols to really liven up a city! :D

They have Best Buy and WalMart too?

Your Kohls is missing one thing -- the enormous 1500 car parking lot!

I still haven't gotten back into Sim City, but I do need to dig out that CD. I've found that pulling out the computer and building my city while on a flight makes the time go by very quickly.

• 3 months later...

You know, it's funny that someone voted on this again just today. I'd pulled out Sim City 4 last night for the first time in many months and took a crack at it. I kind of wish that industrial buildings looked more boxy, warehouse-like, and with larger footprints than the tall brown jumble of twisted pipes on 2x2 squares of land that so many have been programed as. I just want some more realism.

You know, it's funny that someone voted on this again just today. I'd pulled out Sim City 4 last night for the first time in many months and took a crack at it. I kind of wish that industrial buildings looked more boxy, warehouse-like, and with larger footprints than the tall brown jumble of twisted pipes on 2x2 squares of land that so many have been programed as. I just want some more realism.

You can download a bunch of custom blds/etc, you know. Check out www.simtropolis.com. You have tobe registered.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

FWIW, do NOT get into the newest version; Sim City Societies. It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the original concept, and is NOT a worthy successor to SC4.

So what's the best newest version? I played when I was a kid on the computer but don't remember what version it was. But I remember I got a couple cities to point where I could build all those condo looking things I wanted.

I just went to the website. The one and only version I played was SimCity 2000.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to resurrect this thread. I LOVE SimCity. I started off with SimCity 2000 and jumped to SimCity 4. I've seen what Sim City 5 is supposed to look like, and I think "4" is as far as I'm going to go. I have a region modeled a little bit after Houston, with loop and spoke system freeways, suburbs on the edge encroaching on farmland (ala Katy). I'll have to post screenshots when I get some time.

Feel free to share your Sim Cities with everyone else. You can attach files to messages and other people can then download them.

I haven't seen anything about Sim City 5. Do you have a link to a good summary?

Feel free to share your Sim Cities with everyone else. You can attach files to messages and other people can then download them.

I haven't seen anything about Sim City 5. Do you have a link to a good summary?

It isn't exactly "Sim City 5" but this upcoming 2009 game called Cities XL is definitely what I would call Sim City 5. Just look at these pics:

CITIESXL_03.jpg

CITIESXL_04.jpg

CITIESXL_05.jpg

CITIESXL_06.jpg

CITIESXL_07.jpg

CITIESXL_08.jpg

Btw, who else is here from Simtropolis?

This is "Micah" from Simtropolis. I'm a moderator in the Current Events, AU&P, and Cities XL forum.

I have not popped in that SC4 disc in a while (almost a year ago). I'll probably do it this weekend or something. And I am a member at Simtropolis, but have like six posts in three or so years. I just download those BAT files from there.

I usually play SC4 when I am traveling and have nothing better to do, or sometimes The Sims... but you have to be careful and not become a computer potato (these are so addicting).

One thing I wish they would bring back is the seasons! I loved it when you could see snow and the trees would change.

Maybe we should hold a contest for the most Houston-like Sim City.

The tricky part with Houston-like cities was that suburbs never quite looked right. It was hard to make neighborhood street patterns look like overlapping worms.

Another problem was that many of our waterways are so narrow and insufficiently deep that they just kind of peter out much further upstream than downtown or the TMC.

And yet another problem, a lack of superhighways. Six lanes wide just isn't enough.

The tricky part with Houston-like cities was that suburbs never quite looked right. It was hard to make neighborhood street patterns look like overlapping worms.

Another problem was that many of our waterways are so narrow and insufficiently deep that they just kind of peter out much further upstream than downtown or the TMC.

And yet another problem, a lack of superhighways. Six lanes wide just isn't enough.

Sounds like a good idea, then. There's no point in having a contest if it's going to be too easy.

Sounds like a good idea, then. There's no point in having a contest if it's going to be too easy.

What about starting from a neutral point and then voting on the best adaption of a fictional inner-loop Houston, let's say.. 100 years from the starting point.

We just need someone to create a model to serve as a control.

Archived