Sim Cities

Sim City  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Have you now or at any point in your life played a version of Sim City?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know/never heard of it

I used to play this series of games when I was a kid. Very cerebral. Optimization-oriented. Tedious.

Ultimately boring, but it didn't keep me from spending hours or even days on end playing that game.

Yeah. I played the hell out of the original version back in the 90s. I also have a bunch of other SIM titles...I've got SC 2k, Sim Life, Sim Farm, and Sim Earth.

I have been hooked on the game off and on since I was in college. I currently have Sim City 4, which I love, but don't have much time to play. I pull it back out a couple of times a year and for a few weeks get addicted to it again. Then I get busy with work and my cities lie dormant for a while.

I have Sim City 3000 and its limited edition, and Sim City 4...great games. However, I dont have the time to play as much as I used to. Supposedly they are going to make Sim City 5...but they are keeping all the info on it pretty hush hush.

Supposedly they are going to make Sim City 5...but they are keeping all the info on it pretty hush hush.

My understanding is that Maxis is reevaluating the pattern of making each successive version more complicated. They reason that although more complicated versions go over well with the existing core of Sim City players, but that the learning curve turns off potential new players.

So if you're a seasoned player, I'd be getting ready for a let-down.

i've spent hundreds of hours playing sim city in one version or another. i currently have sim city 4, but i don't enjoy as much as the earlier versions.

I agree with you, but I'm not entirely sure what it is about Sim City 4 that is less fun. Perhaps I just outgrew it or something, but it just gets to be boring and repetitious after a relatively short while these days.

When I was in college, I used to play the original on an old IBM PC Convertible.

Monochrome 640x200 screen. No backlight. No hard drive. 256k RAM, and a pair of 720k floppy drives. Built like a tank.

I picked up SimCity 3000 a few years ago. Ended up taking three days off of work. I put it away and never touched it again. Too dangerous to my career.

yes, i had one night with simcity 2000 where i lost complete track of time. before i knew it the sun was coming up. i played for more than ten hours that night. thank goodness it was the weekend. it did upset my sleep cycle though. very dangerous for one's career and social life. B)

Man, I was the master at that game, look check out my city:

This came from my thread at SSC. They have a whole section devoted to Sim City:

Where it all began.

Stafford-Jul.png

Government Island. This is where Stafford is based off of.

912052cc.png

2f9143c9.png

New Development

Stafford-Aug.png

de4304ab.png

Traffic (there are more pics of traffic coming soon)

302b1e80.png

Development

Stafford-Nov.png

Downtown(about halfway finished)

7ab7e59b.png

e6946180.png

a8bca302.png

5c48bc01.png

6dca4c00.png

d5b3ac54.png

Soon to get rid of...Industry

6e550a6f.png

Suburbs:

La Porte

4f63b13d.png

84e79bae.png

1cdbcd7f.png

bcefe655.png

^What can I do?

78aad938.png

0efe5368.png

7439391d.png

07963d56.png

Suburbs:

La Porte

4f63b13d.png

84e79bae.png

1cdbcd7f.png

bcefe655.png

^What can I do?

78aad938.png

0efe5368.png

7439391d.png

07963d56.png

Oxford:Population 20,000

Oxford-Apr.png

Oxford-May.png

Oxford-Feb.png

Oxford-Jan.png

Oxford-Jun.png

Some extras:

bbf47b9d.png

900efddd.png

5c48bc01.png

When I was in college, I used to play the original on an old IBM PC Convertible.

Monochrome 640x200 screen. No backlight. No hard drive. 256k RAM, and a pair of 720k floppy drives. Built like a tank.

I picked up SimCity 3000 a few years ago. Ended up taking three days off of work. I put it away and never touched it again. Too dangerous to my career.

yes, i had one night with simcity 2000 where i lost complete track of time. before i knew it the sun was coming up. i played for more than ten hours that night. thank goodness it was the weekend. it did upset my sleep cycle though. very dangerous for one's career and social life. B)
Man, I was the master at that game, look check out my city:

This came from my thread at SSC. They have a whole section devoted to Sim City:

Where it all began.

See??

See??

This is why I don't do any of the SIM games.

I don't even play my beloved Civilization.

The Empire of Texas is on total hold. :blink:

I started failing some of my classes (not really, but my grades strted to slip), I would skip homework for this game, and would just think "I'll do it later, I have the whole evening," but before I knew it, it was after midnight or later, so I decided to slip and just not care about homework. Also, it was close to finals! That's when I stopped. I started again around july, but haven't picked it up since the beginning of August. This game just sucks your life away, and Ricco, you did right by looking away :).

See??

See??

Wow. I do see.

And although I'm sure that the poll is not a representative sample of all HAIFers, it is VERY interesting to see just how many people played these games, as well as how many just got addicted to them. I'm kind of surprised that nobody else has ever brought this up in the forum before I did, considering how it seems to be a commonality among so many of us.

You know, its very interesting that this forum is able to draw from such a wide demographic, across so many racial, age, income, educational, and cultural backgrounds. It makes me wonder what goes into the making of a HAIFer. With a few exceptions, most of us do seem to share a few common personality traits, decency among them. Most of us are very much pro-growth rather than BANANAs. And even if we don't always take the same strategy toward encouraging that growth, most of us exhibit a deep and genuine interest and concern for making the best of this town. That statement doesn't apply to most people, though...I mean, most people would generally go along with that, but relatively few would spend the time that we do discussing these topics. Some would probably the most active HAIFers even a little bit "eccentric", if I may use a euphamism for a much stronger word.

So what makes us unique as a subculture? And what draws us together on this forum?

It's a chance for people to indulge our urban planning whims in an arena where we have near totalitarian control. There probably isn't one HAIFer out there who hasn't thought about how they would re-make Houston if they were in charge. And by "in charge" they mean dictator, not mayor.

I've often tried to re-create cities I've lived in through SimCity. I was never very good at it.

i've started a new region in sim city 4 since this conversation began. i may have to ask some of you pros how to get past a plateau (figuratively) that i tend to reach in sim city 4. i think i'm making the same mistake repeatedly and stunting growth.

do any of you guys use cheats? i've never gone looking for them. i felt it would take the fun out of the game.

Archived