Super Cool Mid-Century Modern Appliance Exhibition Opening In Houston

mdadm

Many of you may already have this on your calendars since it has been covered in Houston House and Home and the Chronicle.

If not, plan on attending this show. I can't wait. It is curated by Don Emmite. He colaborated on the Mid-Century Modern Revisited exhibition at Brazos Projects a couple years ago. Anything Don is involved with is top notch and will not dissapoint. He is a veteran collector and has a dead eye for good design.

I don't know much more than what I have read, but everyday appliances from 1930 to 1960 will be featured and celebrated. Some are truly small masterpieces of design. If you are a modster and have an insatiable appetite for all good modern design, this exhibition will be a rare chance to see up close these remarkable vintage objects displayed together in one show.

If you can't make it Thursday for the opening, I believe the show will be up through sometime in October.

This will be very cool! Don Emmite shows how appliances (the well designed ones at least) should be thought of as art! I have seen some of his collection, and it is amazing.

Thanks for the reminder.

Jason

Many of you may already have this on your calendars since it has been covered in Houston House and Home and the Chronicle.

If not, plan on attending this show. I can't wait. It is curated by Don Emmite. He colaborated on the Mid-Century Modern Revisited exhibition at Brazos Projects a couple years ago. Anything Don is involved with is top notch and will not dissapoint. He is a veteran collector and has a dead eye for good design.

I don't know much more than what I have read, but everyday appliances from 1930 to 1960 will be featured and celebrated. Some are truly small masterpieces of design. If you are a modster and have an insatiable appetite for all good modern design, this exhibition will be a rare chance to see up close these remarkable vintage objects displayed together in one show.

If you can't make it Thursday for the opening, I believe the show will be up through sometime in October.

Sounds interesting. Any examples of what will be included?

From what I know of Don Emmite's collection and what I have seen in the press...the exhibit will include appliances used around the house that made mid-century life easier AND were designed in a modern design aesthetic.

For example, everyhing from the big chrome "Toastalator" with a porthole window...a unit that the toast inches through one side and out the other...to a can opener with tiny spindly legs that was inspired by the American space program's luner module.

There will be some design by many of the heavy hitter's of mid century industrial design from the period...Norman Bel Geddes, Walter Dorwin Teague, Henry Dreyfuss, Raymond Loewy etc.

I also expect some fun things and maybe some surprises! I am hoping a matching pink washer and dryer with beautiful chrome dials and knobs that light up like a fifties automobile dashboard will be on display!!! Oh and the "Partiocart" will be there...which is a self contained party on wheels for a swanky backyard bar-b-que!

I went and checked this out, and it really is excellent. In addition to the pieces listed, there's a great flying saucer inspired frying pan, and an original "Predicta" television. The thing that hits home when you see it is how much more colorful things were back then, especially with the classic turquoise. Across the atrium there is an overflow room with a great collection of MCM furniture, including a womb chair, Eames lounge, Noguchi table, and Nelson ball clock.

He mentioned they were going to look for other potential exhibition sites, but nothing so far. MFAH turned it down; apparently they consider household applicances a bit infra dig.

• The title was changed to Super Cool Mid-Century Modern Appliance Exhibition Opening In Houston

Archived