Ernesto - Evacuation registration

editor

DATE: 8/25/2006

211 registry for special needs populations

To: Houston Regional Media Outlets

211 Registry for Evacuation of Those with Special Needs

Tropical Storm Ernesto continues to track westward off the coast of Venezuela. The National Weather Service forecasts that Ernesto will enter the Gulf of Mexico as a Category 1 Hurricane late Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2006 or early Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2006.

Anyone with special needs (which includes those without transportation), should call 211 immediately to register. This will ensure their space on evacuation buses and in shelters if evacuation becomes necessary. At this time there are no evacuation plans anywhere along the Gulf Coast.

This is a precaution only: There are no current evacuation orders or recommendations for evacuation.

Hurricane or tropical storm, Ernesto is at least going to make for exciting weather-watching week. It would appear by the historic charts below that we are at less risk of a local landfall if a storm enters the Gulf from the north of Cuba, as did both Katrina and Rita. Ernesto is coming from the south. :unsure:

The charts below are tracks of all previous Cat 3-5 hurricanes that have made landfall in Texas and Louisiana.

25oup1k.jpg

25oupmd.jpg

I've got my plywood ready. And I just bought some Cat 5 cable for my house last week...hope that's not a bad omen.

Archived