Dallas Weather

houstonfella

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2000 was interesting, though. I vividly remember that Labor Day weekend as the most oppressive, breathtakingly hot week in my 30 years in Houston. Not only was Houston's record temp of 109 set, but there were several other days in a row of 107 and 108. It was literally hard to breath in that heat. Most surprising of all was that the daytime humidity on those days was always around 20%! In that sense, we got a taste of Dallas weather...very hot and very dry. In fact, that is how I know how miserable Texas 100 degree heat is. It is that weekend that I use for comparison when I say that I prefer Houston's hot and humid weather versus Dallas' very hot, not so humid weather....and the 8 years that I lived in Dallas and Fort Worth.

I realize this is a matter of preference, and that one acclimates to his surroundings. But, based on my own experience, plus the comments of my friends and family who have visited from Dallas this summer, I prefer Houston summers over Dallas'....so shoot me. :P

Thanks for your personal view/analysis of that. I like to gather people's individual tastes just to try to have datapoints and you drew a pretty complete picture of everything.

One small correction. Those temps and dry air didn't get blown in from up here. Those were blown in from the southwest, which is the same place Dallas gets the vast majority of its dry, hot days. North Texas or even the south central plains just don't have the heat capacity and other factors for that. Once that heat was setup in southeast Texas though, the variable winds did nothing to disperse that dry, hot air that had actually made it into the swamps of Louisiana by that time. I agree it was definitely an unusual pattern in Texas.

Jason

Is there ever a time that Dallas isn't better than Houston? I'm constantly amazed at Dallas posters who never relinquish there pro Dallas stance, regardless of the facts presented. The fact is that Dallas is almost always hotter than Houston, browner than Houston and in the winter colder than Houston.

I know Houston is a crap hole in comparison, <_< but can't you let us have one thing were better at?

There are many times Gary. You tend to see things in such a biased manner that you don't notice when they're pointed out though. There are many ways in which Houston weather is better than Dallas. Is it better overall for you and your needs? It clearly is for Redscare's. I have a friend from Houston that breaks out into hives of some sort every time the temperature gets below 50, it is better for his. He really should move to SoCal or Florida though but he is a petro engineer so the skin takes a back seat to what surely must be the best job market in the US for his field.

As for me, I prefer Houston 7 months out of the year and Dallas 5. Houston in November through March and June and July, although that 2 month period of summer can float around depending on the year. And yes Gary, there is not getting around that Dallas is hotter in air temperature from June 15th to August 29th than Houston, that is just fact. This time period may get longer since Houston may have less heat island growth due to the wind patters that prevail in all of east Texas and the proximity to the water.

Jason

P.S. My palm trees also (wth the possible exception of the brahea armata, med. fan, and filifera) all prefer Houston's climate over Dallas. I'd love to be able to grow Phoenix Canariensis in Dallas like Houston can. I hope Houston can avoid another 1983/89 for at least 50 more years so we can have towering monsters all over Houston like SoCal has.

P.S. My palm trees also (wth the possible exception of the brahea armata, med. fan, and filifera) all prefer Houston's climate over Dallas. I'd love to be able to grow Phoenix Canariensis in Dallas like Houston can. I hope Houston can avoid another 1983/89 for at least 50 more years so we can have towering monsters all over Houston like SoCal has.

Yes! The coolest tree in the history of the world!

phoenix-canariensis.gif

I am saving my pennies and nickels (and Benjamins) to someday plant one of these in front of my bungalow.

:)

phoenix-canariensis.gif

I am saving my pennies and nickels (and Benjamins) to someday plant one of these in front of my bungalow.

Those really look sharp when the head is pruned up a little. Be aware that Monk Parakeets are spreading here in Houston and they love those trees in particular. Neat birds but I'm not sure if I'd want a colony near a bedroom....kinda noisy.

There are many times Gary. You tend to see things in such a biased manner that you don't notice when they're pointed out though. There are many ways in which Houston weather is better than Dallas. Is it better overall for you and your needs? It clearly is for Redscare's. I have a friend from Houston that breaks out into hives of some sort every time the temperature gets below 50, it is better for his. He really should move to SoCal or Florida though but he is a petro engineer so the skin takes a back seat to what surely must be the best job market in the US for his field.

As for me, I prefer Houston 7 months out of the year and Dallas 5. Houston in November through March and June and July, although that 2 month period of summer can float around depending on the year. And yes Gary, there is not getting around that Dallas is hotter in air temperature from June 15th to August 29th than Houston, that is just fact. This time period may get longer since Houston may have less heat island growth due to the wind patters that prevail in all of east Texas and the proximity to the water.

Jason

If that's not the pot calling the kettle black.

Jason you sound like an intelligent guy so let's drop this now before this ends up where it always does.

I lived in DFW for a number of years through 1995 and then moved to Houston for school/ work. I agree that one is generally able to acclimate to the local climate over time. So, it's a good bet that I've acclimated to Houston's weather.

That being said, it's my opinion that Houston has better overall weather than DFW. Yes, it's humid and hot in Houston (and the majority of the South) in the summer. But, at least it intermittently rains and cools things off. For example, the heat index was in the 70s the other day during mid-afternoon after a storm and the temps actually felt refreshing (I know, somewhat of an oxymoron in the summer months in Houston). You don't really get that in DFW. Summer in DFW is generally hot and dry with not much (dare I say "any") rain. Thus, the foliage in DFW is dry and takes on a "baked" look (especially near the freeways and other public areas). I was in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and it was unbearably hot, dry, and brown. Nice (tongue firmly in cheek).

The flowers bloom year 'round in Houston; and the cooler months are actually more akin to California weather than most places in Texas. I don't really notice the humidity in the cooler months. The cooler weather in DFW tends more to the opposite extreme. It can get pretty chilly there and, again, the grass is generally brown at that time of year as well.

I'll take Houston weather over DFW weather any day! I think that people from DFW (and Austin, etc.) just like to pick on Houston for some reason. It's probably due to an inferiority complex.

no such thing as better or worse weather. Some people actually love really cold, and lots of snow. Some love heat. I think the main thing you hear people talk about with Houston is humidity, not heat. I've never personally heard someone complain about Houston heat vs Dallas. Only the humidity and mosquitos.

no such thing as better or worse weather. Some people actually love really cold, and lots of snow. Some love heat. I think the main thing you hear people talk about with Houston is humidity, not heat. I've never personally heard someone complain about Houston heat vs Dallas. Only the humidity and mosquitos.

And of course Dallas would never have mosquitoes! :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, though, Dallas gets real nice weather beginning in Sept. Houston usually missing those fronts because they simply stall somewhere around Huntsville and we don't get 'em. Of course, in January, we are really delighted about not getting those "northers". Anyhow, all said and done, Texas is hot; Texas is humid; Texas is the best state in the US of A. :wub:

But why Dallas/FW didn't build a retractable roof stadium still baffles me. But why should I care? I'm an astronomical Astros fan. Houston invented comfortable sports. Kudos to our otherwise hot and humid and mosquito-infested swampland. But I love my town. Yes I do. Ernesto, take a hike. B)

Overall, I prefer the weather in Houston because the winters are usually more mild and the extra rain makes things more lush. To me, difference between Metroplex and Houston weather is not that big a whoop.

Yeah, you are right Tam. Weather there and here are so much alike except when those wimps in Dallas get off for "snow" days and the "snow" is .000009 inches. :lol:

Well. I know I am in the minority. But I LOVE cold weather. Good reason why I like Chicago too. I love four distinct seasons. Dallas is the closest big city, of course, we can get to that. Most of my best clothes are for the wintertime lol. I also prefer dry weather over humid weather. I lived in Miami and grew up here in central Texas and I am more comfortable in dry heat than humid heat. I do wish it rained more in central and North Texas.

I'll take Houston weather over DFW weather any day! I think that people from DFW (and Austin, etc.) just like to pick on Houston for some reason. It's probably due to an inferiority complex.

It goes both ways. Houston is no doubt, my favorite city in Texas. But it has it shares of picking on themselves. In the end, who cares, it's all Texas cities anyway and they are all basically the same and they get picked on by the rest of the nation.

Redscare, I remember that Labor day in 2000. It was 113 where I was. I've been in Texas since 1987 and I never experienced anything that hot. As soon as you walked outside, I baked in the sun. Luckily, the windows was cracked. But that didn't make a bit of difference.

Well. I know I am in the minority. But I LOVE cold weather. Good reason why I like Chicago too. I love four distinct seasons. Dallas is the closest big city, of course, we can get to that. Most of my best clothes are for the wintertime lol. I also prefer dry weather over humid weather. I lived in Miami and grew up here in central Texas and I am more comfortable in dry heat than humid heat. I do wish it rained more in central and North Texas.

It goes both ways. Houston is no doubt, my favorite city in Texas. But it has it shares of picking on themselves. In the end, who cares, it's all Texas cities anyway and they are all basically the same and they get picked on by the rest of the nation.

Redscare, I remember that Labor day in 2000. It was 113 where I was. I've been in Texas since 1987 and I never experienced anything that hot. As soon as you walked outside, I baked in the sun. Luckily, the windows was cracked. But that didn't make a bit of difference.

Spades, growing up in Shreveport area of Louisiana (same latitude or longitude or sumpin like Dallas) and i in the winter had to feed the cows. That howling wind, gray sky and temps in the 20s .... I decided I'd find a warmer clime after that. So, old college boy headed for Houston as soon as he could and I couldn't be happier. My mom, like you, LOVES cold weather. I don't know about you guys and that cold weather, but that's what makes the world go round and round. And, yes, dry heat is a little more comfortable. But balmy evenings can be very romantic. Holding hands. Wearing shorts and T-shirts and well, I won't go into the romantic part. ;)

Hey JasonDFW, you've basically said it all for me :) .

It really is all about preference. I will take the summers I spent in Central Texas over the summers here in Houston anyday.

My opinion that I think Houston is more uncomfortable than Dallas is just that..... my opinion. That opinion is NOT based soley upon the past 5 years. Living in Texas for the past 19 years have made me draw my own conclusions. Standing in the shade in Dallas feels different than standing in the shade in Houston to me and no amount of information presented is going to change how the two feel on my own personal skin.

Hey Gary, it's called having a life. Maybe you should give it a try instead of sitting around waiting for me to respond to a opinion thread about weather. :rolleyes:

By the way, I'm a Proud Houstonian. :P

Hey JasonDFW, you've basically said it all for me :) .

It really is all about preference. I will take the summers I spent in Central Texas over the summers here in Houston anyday.

My opinion that I think Houston is more uncomfortable than Dallas is just that..... my opinion. That opinion is NOT based soley upon the past 5 years. Living in Texas for the past 19 years have made me draw my own conclusions. Standing in the shade in Dallas feels different than standing in the shade in Houston to me and no amount of information presented is going to change how the two feel on my own personal skin.

Hey Gary, it's called having a life. Maybe you should give it a try instead of sitting around waiting for me to respond to a opinion thread about weather. :rolleyes:

By the way, I'm a Proud Houstonian. :P

Hey, we can all move to Dallas and fry. Whatever.... I'll just take my chances ont the bays and beaches of Southeast Tx. I love the sound of the waves beating the shoreline. Got that in Dallas? No way, Jose.

The same place I just retrieved this data DALLAS MORNING NEWS:

Ok, that explains it. The DMN must have used the unofficial temperature, but they it is a reasonable source for readings, as opposed to a poorly run/equipped facility like Addison. What confused me was your reading was 1 hour and 33 minutes old. Even the slowest sources had been updated by then, so in the future I'd recommend going to the source for the data or at least a better secondary source. I never did figure out where the Houston readings were from, because they didn't match any of the locations I normally monitor, although they were close.

Here's the latest data by the way from that same 2nd tier Dallas source:

Dallas - 78

I'll take Houston becuase we get rain.

Dallas and the rest of Texas are in or near drought.

My friend from Ft. Worth was here last week and could not belive how green everything is.

He said "Everything in Ft. Worth is burnt".

Yeah, I just come back from Fort Hood/ Killeen. Everything was a crispy brown. Then it was made worse when firing on the ranges, we would have to stop firing every few minutes to put out a range fire. We burnt a good chunk of West Ft Hood :rolleyes:

As soon as we got into the Conroe area we got some much appreciated rain. Houston was a very pleasant green

:wub:

phoenix-canariensis.gif

I really love those too. Especially in front of an old brick bungalow with a red terracotta roof. There are a few in my signature that I like. Some of the photos are private, but I sometimes purposely go around the city photographing these trees in front of cool structures or homes or tree lined streets. The esplanades or medians in Western Third Ward have plenty of them also.

IMO, without them in this pic, it would be a boring picture.

109642417_1b9a5b56b4_o.jpg

Your filifera is Houston averse due to its preference for better soil drainage than Houston necessarily affords. That variety is really going to do better in San Antonio and points west and southwest, although there are a few very nice specimens in San Angelo. Same with your Blue Hester. Fan palms do quite well in Houston. My neighbor accross the street has a very nice 18 foot specimen curbside.

Also, the very tall trees in Southern California tend to be dactylifera rather tha canariensis, although a good number of the latter variety do exist.

BTW, if anyone knows or hears of one of these for sale at a decent price, let me know. They go for $100 a foot, or more, so obviously we are talking about the young ones...possibly up to $1000.

Red;

Be sure that you get the arborist to warrant that the specimen you purchase is "male". The "female" flowering trees cause awful messes this time of year.

Your filifera is Houston averse due to its preference for better soil drainage than Houston necessarily affords. That variety is really going to do better in San Antonio and points west and southwest, although there are a few very nice specimens in San Angelo. Same with your Blue Hester. Fan palms do quite well in Houston. My neighbor accross the street has a very nice 18 foot specimen curbside.

Also, the very tall trees in Southern California tend to be dactylifera rather tha canariensis, although a good number of the latter variety do exist.

Well when I said "towering monsters" I meant to put more emphasis on the monstrous part, specifically the proportions of the canariensis over most everything else. Of course the real "towering" palm of SoCal would be the robustas, but without the giant crown and thick trunk. I do see a lot of dactylifera in SoCal though, I guess they do or used to do a lot of production in the deserts east of there.

I know the robustas and filibustas seem to do very well in the Houston area. The thing I meant about the weather was the high wetness that seems to take the extreme colors out of the blue hespers and seems to chip away at the filifera trunks a bit with age. It seems as though blue hespers there even grown in sand don't have the blinding colors of drier climates.

You seem to know a lot about palms in the area. Do you happen to know much about the big 83/89 freezes and their effects on the different species in Houston or perhaps the coastal area? Something like, "most of the bismarkias were killed, but most of the blue hespers survived." Just making that up as an example. I wasn't around then and am always trying to get info on that.

Jason

Your filifera is Houston averse due to its preference for better soil drainage than Houston necessarily affords.

Speaking of soil, I had to replace my Queen palm at the beginning of the year because of the rock hard clay in my area (Katy). It simply would not take root on the North side of the tree, and that was staking and restaking for almost two years. I fertilized properly and the tree grew about 5 feet in that time but as I said would not take root on the North side.

I replaced the Queen with a Pindo palm and it has taken to the soil very well. It's growth rate has been a lot slower however which is somewhat bothersome.

It's my understanding that the Pindo is hardy to 15 degrees, is this true? Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way, it's hotter than a cow pissing on a flat rock right now.

Archived