Historic Houston Schools

Waltrip79

Where was South Main High School located or rather where on South Main?

i may be getting this mixed up.... but i thought South Main was a JUNIOR high and it eventually became San Jacinto HIGH school in the 20's....at the current HCC bldg...1300 Holman

• Like 1

there was an HISD magnet school called the Contemporary Occupational Training Center (COTC) in the mid 70's. It was located at Travis and McGowan, in an old auto dealership... I went there one year before going to Madison HS. Does anyone remeber this place, or know anything about it?

found this a minute ago...

http://www.houstonisd.org/HISDConnectDS/v/...00052147fa6RCRD

Edited by Native Son

Acorrding to something I read once on the UIL website South Main played and lost a game in the football semifinals to make it to state. it may have become South Maqn Jr. Hig and the San Jac HS.

• Like 1

Just to add a bit to what MWKellner gave us about Cedar Bayou HS: Voters in Cedar Bayou ISD and Goose Creek ISD (Baytown) opted to consolidate in March of 1954 (this is why Goose Creek is a CISD). As a result, a new elementary school was built (James Bowie), CBHS was closed and students there moved to Baytown REL while the Cedar Bayou High building was kept and made a junior high campus only.

I played football in old Cedar Bayou Stadium as a boy in the Optimist Club Junior League, at Baytown Junior High and as a freshman at Baytown REL. It was ancient and had only one bank of stands. The coach who had success at Cedar Bayou High was the late Bob Barfield who later coached at Pasadena High for many years and took the Eagles to the 1958 4-A state title game.

Edited by Retama

Don't forget the old middle school that was at the corner of Old Katy Rd and Kirkwood -- the name of which I can't remember any more, but it was an SBISD middle school -- where they filmed everyone's favorite Chuck Norris movie, Sidekicks. :rolleyes:

They filmed some of it at Lamar High, but they filmed most of the interiors at the middle school since it had been shut down and they didn't have to work around classes or a school schedule. They tore it down shortly after the movie was finished filming.

Anyone remember the school I'm talking about? It was on the site of where the Technip building currently stands.

Noticed the elementary @ Scott St. and Mykawa area (you can see it from the freeway/south side) looks like it's boarded up. Can anyone confirm this? Believe that area is South Park. Is similar to my elementary school, in design. Flat, long covered walkway wing extensions, very 1950's. Another elementary school similar to it sits on the north side of 610 loop, @ wayside/long dr. (It's still open, has been expanded, somewhat).

i may be getting this mixed up.... but i thought South Main was a JUNIOR high and it eventually became San Jacinto HIGH school in the 20's....at the current HCC bldg...1300 Holman

San Jacinto High School evolved from the South End Junior High building which opened in 1914. The picture below is the architect's original drawing of the South End Jr High School.

SouthEndJrHRe-1914.jpg

Edited by 57Tbird
  • Like 1

I have a Key Map from the mid 90's that has locations for some of the closed and or torn down schools. Anyone have any pics of Fanin Elem must have close to were the Walgreeen's is on McGowan.

I attended Fannin in the early 40's (Wow! Am I that old?). Fannin was bounded by Louisiana, Smith, Tuam, and Anita. The attachments below show it... as it originally was; a view of the present building (sq. recess in the roof) in the middle of the Google picture; and an old class picture of mine taken in back of the school facing the corner of Smith and Tuam. I wonder if those trees behind us are the same ones that show up in the Google picture.

post-873-1213989040_thumb.jpg

post-873-1213989067_thumb.jpg

post-873-1213989092_thumb.jpg

A beautiful school.

I attended Fannin in the early 40's (Wow! Am I that old?). Fannin was bounded by Louisiana, Smith, Tuam, and Anita. The attachments below show it... as it originally was; a view of the present building (sq. recess in the roof) in the middle of the Google picture; and an old class picture of mine taken in back of the school facing the corner of Smith and Tuam. I wonder if those trees behind us are the same ones that show up in the Google picture.

post-873-1213989040_thumb.jpg

post-873-1213989067_thumb.jpg

post-873-1213989092_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
Here is a link to all of the photos that I had posted on old Houston and Harris County Schools:

Schools_Sign.jpg

Old Houston and Harris County Schools

Here's another great link to old Houston school history, posted earlier, Thanks isuredid. Those pics of old school bldgs are great, some are long lost. One of my favorites was the Montrose "Patio" style. Too bad it's gone.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OLD SAM HOUSTON (CLAY ST DOWNTOWN) WAS MOVED TO IT'S CURRENT LOCATION ON BAUMAN---SAN JACINTO HIGH SCHOOL DOWNTOWN IS NOW THE MAIN CAMPUS FOR H.C.C.---CARVER HIGH SCHOOL BUT IM NOT SURE, THERE MAY HAVE BEEN TWO, ONE IN ALDINE AND ONE IN HOUSTON--WESTCHESTER AND SPRING BRANCH IN SBISD---FIDELITY MANOR HIGH SCHOOL, GALENA PARK ISD.

thanks for posting the pictures, idid.....it's the 1st time I've seen my old Montrose School in 25 years. I'm going to have to hunt down my class pictures from the 60's that were taken inside the classrooms and post them.

SOME REALLY GREAT PICTURES BUT SOME OF THESE SCHOOLS STILL EXIST AND ARE STILL BEING USED.

• 2 months later...

There are 2 old schools on Telephone Rd.. Not sure of their names but they are old schools! One of them is now used as a media center of some sort for HISD.

That media center is called Rudy Vara center for Technology my father said it was a grocery store of some sort. Across the street from this used to be a school I believe. I compared it with an old photograph and the structure looks fairly the same.

That media center is called Rudy Vara center for Technology my father said it was a grocery store of some sort. Across the street from this used to be a school I believe. I compared it with an old photograph and the structure looks fairly the same.

http://picasaweb.google.com/yousuredid/OldSchools#4984316616386609170

http://picasaweb.google.com/yousuredid/OldSchools#4984316596965015570

• 4 years later...