Sign in to follow this  
Waltrip79

Houston Schools That No Longer Exist

Anyone remember or better yet was an allumni of St Christopher's Catholic school , located on the Gulf Freeway at Park Place . I went there from 56 to 58 . It was already an old building back then . It was demolished around 1960 or so . And yes the nuns were tough !

Well, while we're at it, if any one has any info on the old Addick's High School or Cedar Bayou High School, it would be appreciated.

I am fairly confident Addicks closed in the late 1940s when construction started on the reservoir. But what happened to the students and the district itself? I live on Westheimer and Gessner, and according to an old map, the northwest corner of that intersection was the southeasternmost part of the Addicks school district. Now it's part of HISD. Apparently, the district was split between Katy, Spring Branch and HISD, and perhaps Cy-Fair too. Anyone know about that or the history of the school?

As for Cedar Bayou, I know the school became a junior high in the Goose Creek ISD in 1953 when the Cedar Bayou district was absorbed by GCISD. Anyone know the history of that school?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm doing a history of my high school's football team and we played both of these schools in the 1940s.

Firebird, I grew up in Baytown (Goose Creek CISD) and attended Cedar Bayou Jr. High in '83-'86. I can tell you that the whole Cedar Bayou school system was located there (K-12) before consoldating. The campus was piecemilled together from the older seperate schools. The oldest building being used was built in 1928 and had about 8 classrooms. It said Cedar Bayou High School on it, but I know that one of the other buildings on the block was used as the high school at a later date (it appeared to be from the '30's). there was a brick building on this same block that was built in 1921, but had a bad foundation and did not last long at all. Before this school was held in the old masonic lodge about 1/4 mile down the street right on Cedar Bayou. There were additions in 1942, a cafeteria in 1947, more additions in the forties and a seperate gym in the 50's(?). The older gym was turned into the auditorium. Additions continued through the70's. The whole complex was razed about 6 years ago and a new campus with the same name was built. Even the football stadium went, it was old and apparently there were some very good class B football teams there. I do know that the Cedar Bayou people wanted their FB coach to be hired at Lee HS when consolidation took place and there was bitterness over the fact that he was not. He did have success elsewhere, but I can not think of his name right now. At this time Lee HS also had HS student from Channelview because they didn't have a high school until 1955(?) Sterling HS was opened in '66 and many of the cedar bayou families chose to attend there because of the bitterness that lingered toward LeeHS. I do know from old schedules that CB and Lee played the first game of the year many time despite the difference in size. One of my Dad's friends went to Aldine in the mid fifties and said he remebered the Cedar Bayou gym (it was the auditorium when I went to school there) had a low ceiling that made shooting the basketball difficult because it looked strange and the CB boys were used to it.

There is alot of random info that I remeber. If you have specific questions I can answer them of find out. The baytown historical museum has some info on the school as well. I hope that is helpful. It is not often that I find anyone interested in the history of local schools. Do you know of any publications on the history of HISD or surrounding school disrticts? I got a good book several years ago on Pasadena ISD.

Well, while we're at it, if any one has any info on the old Addick's High School or Cedar Bayou High School, it would be appreciated.

I am fairly confident Addicks closed in the late 1940s when construction started on the reservoir. But what happened to the students and the district itself? I live on Westheimer and Gessner, and according to an old map, the northwest corner of that intersection was the southeasternmost part of the Addicks school district. Now it's part of HISD. Apparently, the district was split between Katy, Spring Branch and HISD, and perhaps Cy-Fair too. Anyone know about that or the history of the school?

As for Cedar Bayou, I know the school became a junior high in the Goose Creek ISD in 1953 when the Cedar Bayou district was absorbed by GCISD. Anyone know the history of that school?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm doing a history of my high school's football team and we played both of these schools in the 1940s.

Do you know of any publications on the history of HISD or surrounding school disrticts? I got a good book several years ago on Pasadena ISD.

I don't know a thing about HISDs history, but there are probably several posters (including isuredid and vicman) who could help you on that. I know a lot about Aldine ISD, should you have any question on that district.

Thanks for your great info on Cedar Bayou. I liked that part about the basketball gym. That was funny. Call it a "home court advantage."

From my research on Aldine's FB team, I know that Cedar Bayou cancelled its 1943 season - ostensibly to conserve gasoline for the war effort. At least that's what they said. La Porte also cancelled their 1943 campaign, but they did so because a tornado from the surprise July hurricane of that year destroyed the school.

I only have Cedar Bayou's FB records for the years they played Aldine. I know they had a good team in several years, but during the time they were in Aldine's district, they didn't win any titles.

Game results

1942 Aldine 52 Cedar Bayou 0

1943 cancelled

1944 Aldine 21 Cedar Bayou 6

1945 Aldine 13 Cedar Bayou 6

1948 Aldine 27 Cedar Bayou 13

1949 Aldine 6 Cedar Bayou 6 (tie)

Aldine won series 4-0-1.

Cedar Bayou's record:

1942 0-9-0 (0-6-0 in 27-1A)

1943 cancelled

1944 5-2-1 (4-2-0 in 27-1A)

1945 7-2-0 (4-2-0 in 27-1A)

1948 4-5-1 (4-2-0 in 25-1A)

1949 6-2-2 (4-2-2 in 25-1A)

I used to go to a school called "Pearl". Actually there was a Pearl 1 (Kindergarten - 4th Grade) and Pearl 2 (5th - 8th Grade) and I went to Pearl 2. Both are gone now or at least "Pearl" is gone and I don't think either location is bein' used as a school any more.

Does anyone on here remember the locations of either or the Pearl schools?

RECinHouston.jpg

If you really want to go back in time, go to M.E.C.A. on 1900 Kane street in 6th Ward or right off Washington street. Its the multicultural center that once "was" a school a long time ago. Just walking up these steep wide stairs takes you back. Be sure to go to the auditorium and especially the basement. Most of all the exposed plumbing is still there & the tiny little stalls to change for gym. Its bizarre. Twilight Zone people.

http://www.meca-houston.org/history.html

PS, See East End section under Rufus Cage Elementary. Let's do the Time Warp

Edited by Vertigo58

My high school no longer exists. It was called Middle College For Technology Careers High School (whew! I hated telling people where I went to school because the name was so long and nobody had really heard of it, so we called it MCTC for short). I was there from 2001 to 2005. It was orginally located somewhere on the southwest side, then relocated on TSU's campus in the late 90's. It was VERY small, only 300 or so students at its peak. It was in the technology building, then beginning with the Fall 2001 school year, which is when I began, they'd moved into the old George Allen Building at Tierwester and Wheeler. It was less than a block away from Yates, and once there was an "attack" on some of our students from a gang of guys from Yates. Some "he said/she said" mess started that. The building was in serious need of repair, for a technology high school, we had some mighty old desks and computers. Ceiling tiles were missing. It was cold in winter and at times, the AC would stop working when it would get hot out. The basement would leak, and the walls had cracks in them. I graduated in May 2005 and was gladly looking forward to college. HISD finally realized early on in the Fall 2005 school year that the building was unsafe and moved it to share a building with a middle school in one of the hoods south of the South Loop East. After Spring 2006, the school merged with Wheatley High School. This meant a brand new building, state of the art technology, etc... But, it was now Wheatley, no more MCTC.

This site is amazing!

WestUNative, I'm a general contractor on the (new) Longfellow Elementary Replacement School. The pictures you've posted and the information you included is awesome. I'm going to forward your information to the Principal at Longfellow ES. I think he'd really fancy them.

I was at Longfellow for a short period of time in the mid 90's. Is Mr. Beringer still principal?

Edited by JLWM8609

I've enjoyed checking out the old school pictures and replies. My parents moved alot in the city and I had the opportunity to go to many inner loop schools you were talking about like River Oaks Elem (62-63) Memorial Elem (67-69) Lanier Jr. (71-72) Lamar High (72-73) and others! :rolleyes:

Here is an article from 1951 on the old Brookline School. I wonder how hard it would be to remove the stuco from the Brookline and Cage Schools and take them back down to red brick:

Old_Brookline_School_1951.jpg

I'm gonna steal this list from the Houston ISD entry of Wikipedia:

All of these schools closed!

* Southland Elementary School

Southland Elementary never closed down. It first opened in 1915 on Allegheny St. Another structure was built on Dixie Dr in 1949. It's address was changed from Dixie Dr. to Tampa St. in 1978 when a new wing was added, and it's name was changed to Ruby L. Thompson Elementary school in the 80's. It will be moving to a new facility at 6121 Tierwester for the Fall 2007 semester. There was a farewell ceremony today for the old facility, I attended it since I went to Thompson from 1992 to 1994.

Edited by JLWM8609

Anyone remember or better yet was an allumni of St Christopher's Catholic school , located on the Gulf Freeway at Park Place . I went there from 56 to 58 . It was already an old building back then . It was demolished around 1960 or so . And yes the nuns were tough !
I know this post is dormant, but I felt compelled to mention that I graduated from St. Christpher's (8th grade, that is) in 1983.

J W, if you happen to read this, you might like to know that "St. Chris" is still there. You might be mis-remembering the address; the church isn't right at the intersection of the freeway and Park Place, it's actually a couple of blocks NE on Park Place. Their website is here: http://www.stchristopherhouston.org/index.htm

Here is an article from 1951 on the old Brookline School. I wonder how hard it would be to remove the stuco from the Brookline and Cage Schools and take them back down to red brick:

Old_Brookline_School_1951.jpg

OK, this school needs to have a historical marker on it before they demolish one day. :o Unlike the topic, it does still exist. Built in 1914! What!

It deserves as much as attention as Rufus Cage down the street at Lawndale and Telephone Rd. (See Cage topic in East End section) :)

I know this post is dormant, but I felt compelled to mention that I graduated from St. Christpher's (8th grade, that is) in 1983.

J W, if you happen to read this, you might like to know that "St. Chris" is still there. You might be mis-remembering the address; the church isn't right at the intersection of the freeway and Park Place, it's actually a couple of blocks NE on Park Place. Their website is here: http://www.stchristopherhouston.org/index.htm

Maybe you can share school photos and experiences in similar East End (or Holy Places) topics? Most of us East Ender's would love to hear. Most kids we knew from area went there or Queen Of Peace Catholic schools.

To my knowledge Spring Branch has been razed, and Westchester is in the Houston Community College system. Soooo, both are in essence gone.

The SBHS school buildings themselves are still there. There was a tax office building on the property that was razed several years ago, but that was it. It's now a magnet school for the district.

Yes I know the school by the church ( went there from 58-61) , but talk to some real old-timers at the parish and they will tell you that the church once owned property at the southwest corner of Park Place and Gulf Freeway . In fact , that was the original site of the church . Up until about 1958 part of the parish school was also on that corner . I know , I went to Ist and 2nd grade there in 56-57.

Read the Church's history on their website. It explains that the construction of the Gulf Freeway forced the parish to move to the present site.

Edited by J W

There is an old school building on the corner of Lamar and Paige east of downtown that looks like it is being used as a residence of sometype.

Where was South Main High School located or rather where on South Main?

i may be getting this mixed up.... but i thought South Main was a JUNIOR high and it eventually became San Jacinto HIGH school in the 20's....at the current HCC bldg...1300 Holman

there was an HISD magnet school called the Contemporary Occupational Training Center (COTC) in the mid 70's. It was located at Travis and McGowan, in an old auto dealership... I went there one year before going to Madison HS. Does anyone remeber this place, or know anything about it?

found this a minute ago...

http://www.houstonisd.org/HISDConnectDS/v/...00052147fa6RCRD

Edited by Native Son

Acorrding to something I read once on the UIL website South Main played and lost a game in the football semifinals to make it to state. it may have become South Maqn Jr. Hig and the San Jac HS.

Just to add a bit to what MWKellner gave us about Cedar Bayou HS: Voters in Cedar Bayou ISD and Goose Creek ISD (Baytown) opted to consolidate in March of 1954 (this is why Goose Creek is a CISD). As a result, a new elementary school was built (James Bowie), CBHS was closed and students there moved to Baytown REL while the Cedar Bayou High building was kept and made a junior high campus only.

I played football in old Cedar Bayou Stadium as a boy in the Optimist Club Junior League, at Baytown Junior High and as a freshman at Baytown REL. It was ancient and had only one bank of stands. The coach who had success at Cedar Bayou High was the late Bob Barfield who later coached at Pasadena High for many years and took the Eagles to the 1958 4-A state title game.

Edited by Retama

I have a Key Map from the mid 90's that has locations for some of the closed and or torn down schools. Anyone have any pics of Fanin Elem must have close to were the Walgreeen's is on McGowan.

Don't forget the old middle school that was at the corner of Old Katy Rd and Kirkwood -- the name of which I can't remember any more, but it was an SBISD middle school -- where they filmed everyone's favorite Chuck Norris movie, Sidekicks. :rolleyes:

They filmed some of it at Lamar High, but they filmed most of the interiors at the middle school since it had been shut down and they didn't have to work around classes or a school schedule. They tore it down shortly after the movie was finished filming.

Anyone remember the school I'm talking about? It was on the site of where the Technip building currently stands.

Noticed the elementary @ Scott St. and Mykawa area (you can see it from the freeway/south side) looks like it's boarded up. Can anyone confirm this? Believe that area is South Park. Is similar to my elementary school, in design. Flat, long covered walkway wing extensions, very 1950's. Another elementary school similar to it sits on the north side of 610 loop, @ wayside/long dr. (It's still open, has been expanded, somewhat).

i may be getting this mixed up.... but i thought South Main was a JUNIOR high and it eventually became San Jacinto HIGH school in the 20's....at the current HCC bldg...1300 Holman

San Jacinto High School evolved from the South End Junior High building which opened in 1914. The picture below is the architect's original drawing of the South End Jr High School.

SouthEndJrHRe-1914.jpg

Edited by 57Tbird

I have a Key Map from the mid 90's that has locations for some of the closed and or torn down schools. Anyone have any pics of Fanin Elem must have close to were the Walgreeen's is on McGowan.

I attended Fannin in the early 40's (Wow! Am I that old?). Fannin was bounded by Louisiana, Smith, Tuam, and Anita. The attachments below show it... as it originally was; a view of the present building (sq. recess in the roof) in the middle of the Google picture; and an old class picture of mine taken in back of the school facing the corner of Smith and Tuam. I wonder if those trees behind us are the same ones that show up in the Google picture.

post-873-1213989040_thumb.jpg

post-873-1213989067_thumb.jpg

post-873-1213989092_thumb.jpg

A beautiful school.

I attended Fannin in the early 40's (Wow! Am I that old?). Fannin was bounded by Louisiana, Smith, Tuam, and Anita. The attachments below show it... as it originally was; a view of the present building (sq. recess in the roof) in the middle of the Google picture; and an old class picture of mine taken in back of the school facing the corner of Smith and Tuam. I wonder if those trees behind us are the same ones that show up in the Google picture.

post-873-1213989040_thumb.jpg

post-873-1213989067_thumb.jpg

post-873-1213989092_thumb.jpg

I went for a long walk yesterday from what I could tel Catholic Charities is located on the old Fanin school location.

A beautiful school.
Edited by robhan

Here is a link to all of the photos that I had posted on old Houston and Harris County Schools:

Schools_Sign.jpg

Old Houston and Harris County Schools

Here's another great link to old Houston school history, posted earlier, Thanks isuredid. Those pics of old school bldgs are great, some are long lost. One of my favorites was the Montrose "Patio" style. Too bad it's gone.

Anyone know why they closed down Pilgrim Elementary on Richmond Dr. , in the Galleria area ? Looks like it is getting ready for demo.

I heard the HISD sold the property.

Anyone know why they closed down Pilgrim Elementary on Richmond Dr. , in the Galleria area ? Looks like it is getting ready for demo.

Actually, those schools are open, but they're some sort of magnet or alternative schools. Same thing with Carver in the Aldine ISD.

I BELIEVE THE OLD SPRING BRANCH IS WHERE THE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES ARE. WESTCHESTER IS NOW SOME KIND OF COLLEGE CAMPUS, NOT SURE WHAT KIND THO

But it still exists...as HCC Central.

THE LAST CLASS TO GRADUATE FROM SAN JACINTO WAS 1969. IT SAT VACANT FOR SEVERAL YEARS UNTIL H.C.C. CAME ALONG. IT'S NOW THE MAIN CAMPUS

OLD SAM HOUSTON (CLAY ST DOWNTOWN) WAS MOVED TO IT'S CURRENT LOCATION ON BAUMAN---SAN JACINTO HIGH SCHOOL DOWNTOWN IS NOW THE MAIN CAMPUS FOR H.C.C.---CARVER HIGH SCHOOL BUT IM NOT SURE, THERE MAY HAVE BEEN TWO, ONE IN ALDINE AND ONE IN HOUSTON--WESTCHESTER AND SPRING BRANCH IN SBISD---FIDELITY MANOR HIGH SCHOOL, GALENA PARK ISD.

thanks for posting the pictures, idid.....it's the 1st time I've seen my old Montrose School in 25 years. I'm going to have to hunt down my class pictures from the 60's that were taken inside the classrooms and post them.

SOME REALLY GREAT PICTURES BUT SOME OF THESE SCHOOLS STILL EXIST AND ARE STILL BEING USED.

There are 2 old schools on Telephone Rd.. Not sure of their names but they are old schools! One of them is now used as a media center of some sort for HISD.

That media center is called Rudy Vara center for Technology my father said it was a grocery store of some sort. Across the street from this used to be a school I believe. I compared it with an old photograph and the structure looks fairly the same.

That media center is called Rudy Vara center for Technology my father said it was a grocery store of some sort. Across the street from this used to be a school I believe. I compared it with an old photograph and the structure looks fairly the same.

http://picasaweb.google.com/yousuredid/OldSchools#4984316616386609170

http://picasaweb.google.com/yousuredid/OldSchools#4984316596965015570

Welcome to HAIF - LiveEastEnd!

Nice to see the two Cage school pics side by side. You can really tell how old it is. Looks like it was out on a prairie, no built structures around it.

I heard the HISD sold the property.

FWIW, I live in Chateaux Dijon - my apartment overlooks Pilgrim's running track - and as of this morning, it was still For Sale.

Interestingly, the For Sale signs are specific to the land.

Wonder how hard it'd be to get into Pilgrim?