Historic Houston Schools

Waltrip79

That media center is called Rudy Vara center for Technology my father said it was a grocery store of some sort. Across the street from this used to be a school I believe. I compared it with an old photograph and the structure looks fairly the same.

The media center that LiveEastEnd is talking about is the old Weingarten's Grocery on Telephone. 

And the old Cage is down the street a bit, nearer the intersection with Lawndale.

• 1 year later...

Thank you, mollusk. I understand the distinction. As kids we didn't really pay attention to the address of our school!

Strange how Westchester Jr wasn't even open for 20 years, I don't think, though I know why it was closed. Sister & I used to walk from our home on the other side of the freeway. I can't imagine my child walking under a major interstate to school these days. Maybe I'm just overprotective.

Thank you, mollusk. I understand the distinction. As kids we didn't really pay attention to the address of our school!

Strange how Westchester Jr wasn't even open for 20 years, I don't think, though I know why it was closed. Sister & I used to walk from our home on the other side of the freeway. I can't imagine my child walking under a major interstate to school these days. Maybe I'm just overprotective.

Ive walked under the Gulf Freeway on my way home from school... you're not being overprotective, it was a nightmare. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What about the staff such as teachers, principles, librarian, etc...

Especially from Ben Milam elementary on Roy st. I attended from around 1982-85 and my son was there 1999-2002. I remember Mr. Walker, Mrs. Rodgers (when my son attended), Faz, Valencia to name a few. Where they continued their career. Any school pictures/information of them like in yearbooks, website?

• 2 years later...

http://www.houstonisd.org/Page/32479

...an update to the link for finding some of the defunct HISD schools and other school histories.

... wondering --- Why isn't previous Fullerton Elementary (Harrisburg Blvd.) on the list... or have I just missed it?

This link says it was donated to the mission... http://www.opendoorhouston.org/about/our-history/

If my childhood memory is correct, there was a huge old Victorian structure with a double porch that sat to the left of Fullerton Elementary.

In the late 60's, it was a type of halfway house, remember the men all around as we passed by... had a chain link fence, with a gate, long sidewalk entry, and a bus stop waiting area just outside it...it always intrigued me. I have always wondered about it's history. Was a worn wooden structure, 2 story, with porch that ran the length of the front facade. It may have had corinthian columns, not sure. Anyone remember it?

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I attended Southland Elementary school Off Tiewester st. K-6th grade. 1959-1967. I repeated 4th grade and was in a wonderful teacher’s class that set me on the right pathway. Mrs. W.......?  It was a German Jewish sounding name.  Ring any bells? I’ve tried to find any records but can’t. Any help is appreciated. I became a teacher and retired recently due to failing health. I live in New Braunfels so I’m limited to internet searches. Thanks

Anthony (Tony) Pearson

aamp54@yahoo.com

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, driveinfan said:

I am still trying to find out what the name of the school that was at the corner of Little York and Homestead Road. It has been torn down. On the property now is the Northeast College North Forest Campus.

Northwood Middle School is the closest possibility I can find. History of North Forest schools is a little sketchy in places. Northwood was closed due to declining enrollment, and was being used for storage in 2003.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Historic Houston Schools
  • 8 months later...

I came across some information about the original Brock Elementary School in the First Ward. It is said that the school originally sat where Brock Park sits at now in between Bingham St. and Colorado St.

It was Originally named Booker T. Washington Elementary before being moved to the site of the old Hawthorne Elementary school on the corner of Houston Avenue and Bingham (1418 Houston Ave.).

Does anyone have any more information or pictures of the old Brock/Booker T. Washington Elementary School? Many thanks in advance.

original location brock.png

Original site of Brock ele.png

209474904_230376965568822_9092678531616351531_n (1).jpg

340494120_200967359335772_2956393493582532968_n.jpg

On 4/26/2022 at 8:46 AM, driveinfan said:

I am still trying to find out what the name of the school that was at the corner of Little York and Homestead Road. It has been torn down. On the property now is the Northeast College North Forest Campus.

What year was this in? I know that property was owned by Northshore ISD.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Original Brookline Elementary burns yesterday

https://abc13.com/vacant-building-fire-near-telephone-and-griggs-road-in-southeast-houston/14608340/

On 6/20/2007 at 12:33 PM, isuredid said:

Here is an article from 1951 on the old Brookline School. I wonder how hard it would be to remove the stuco from the Brookline and Cage Schools and take them back down to red brick:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m41/dahornburg/Old_Brookline_School_1951.jpg

Edited by gnu
duplicate entry
  • Like 1