Goofy House In Bellaire

liammclaren

like they say--money can't buy class, but it can certainly buy crass:

it's on rice in bellaire

Jeez. What on earth were they going for? What motivates someone to build a faux fortress? Craziness.

At least make it a modern fortress, complete with double-thick reinforced concrete walls, bulletproof mirrored glass, vault doors, concertina wire, trapdoor escape tunnels with access to a fifty-foot-deep fallout shelter, and of course gunports all around.

At least make it a modern fortress, complete with double-thick reinforced concrete walls, bulletproof mirrored glass, vault doors, concertina wire, trapdoor escape tunnels with access to a fifty-foot-deep fallout shelter, and of course gunports all around.

HAHAHAHA, now THAT might actually be cool

Jeez. What on earth were they going for? What motivates someone to build a faux fortress? Craziness.

This house was a direct responce to Astroworld closing... anyone wanna guess what their favorite ride was? Dungeon Drop!

It looks like something you'd find at a miniature golf course - but much, much larger.

Much.

Think maybe the proud owner may have designed it himself?

"Yep, and never took an architecture course in my life!"

Karpas had a listing on that place when I was still there. They referred to it as "the ribbon house." Apparently at one point it was some sort of show house to raise money for something, breast cancer maybe.

"Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair!"

I remember a castle-like house in Sagemont when I was a kid. It was between Hughes and 45 off of Old South Belt. I need to go back and see if it is still there.

The Lego Pic really cracked me up!

I think this house is at least original! Better than a lot of the new stuff we see around.

Jason

• 4 months later...

I remember a castle-like house in Sagemont when I was a kid. It was between Hughes and 45 off of Old South Belt. I need to go back and see if it is still there.

I think this house is at least original! Better than a lot of the new stuff we see around.

Jason

Talk about desperate living!

Appears as if Ed Wood filmed one of his classic cult films there. It would be a great backdrop for the Renaissance Festival. Places some wenches in the windows with beer mugs in hand calling out to prospective lovers! It also looks like a movie set from the old MGM studio lot. Maybe theres a fire-breathing dragon out back somewhere? Lets see a mote would be a great added amenity. Alligators could be guarding the place.

I still have my old lego's blocks I should create one just like it and mail to them! Now we might find a Lincoln-Logs type home soon.

• 1 month later...

Jason

This is definitely not original to Bellaire, none of the monster houses there are. I would say 98% of the original houses were one-story before they started tearing them all down in the late 80's.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I went to a Superbowl party at this house earlier this year. The inside was actually beautifully detailed and far less cartoonish than the facade - lots of marble, rich molding and incredible frescos. FAR better quality than the typical Bellaire lot-buster. The owner mentioned that the house was for sale for a couple of years, but there was little interest and it was taken off the market. Now if the members of DragonForce were looking for a place in Houston...

• The title was changed to Goofy House In Bellaire

Archived