• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Double post but for a good reason!

NcZQtKR.jpg

Ost5BsQ.jpg

Hp5hFSI.jpg

2eeJcbT.jpg

Edit: This is along Main St. at Paschall (before Quitman).

Second edit: And sorry if my images are colossal! I can resize them if you guys think they are too large.

Triton, how fast was it moving along? Nice catch btw.

Sometimes around 1 mph. Other times it was blazing at 5 mph. hah

It usually dropped down to 1mph when it had to go past a sign and those white "things" around the railcar almost touched. They literally had to hold back one of the signs in the center between the rails to let the railcar go on through. Not sure if that means they're going to have to move that sign or what but they did mark it.

Since I have today off and I live right by the north line, I'm about to go back to see how much progress they made.

PS: Surprisingly, the fastest they went (again, around 5 mph) was when they sped through this station.. I have no clue why

CcN5zQP.jpg

Metro sent over some pictures today.

post-1-0-21879600-1369956094_thumb.png

post-1-0-51887400-1369956096_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-89546200-1369956099_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-80188000-1369956102_thumb.jpg

METRORail turned many heads this week on the new North Line.  A caboose-looking shuttlewagon towed a light-rail car along the entire new stretch of track.  Since electric power is not yet traveling through the overhead lines, the light-rail train was tugged up and down the five-mile line by a bright red railcar mover. This safety exercise is in advance of a series of tests to be conducted this summer with electric-powered trains running the new lines.

METRORail and contractor HRT crews are monitoring progress to check that functions like track, poles, underground and overhead wiring, are in order before the electrical test phase begins. The North Line extension is ahead of schedule and more than 80 percent complete at this time.

My guess is that some trains will stop there and not go all the way to the end of the extension.  Some trains will turn around so that the main part of the Red Line has a higher frequency. 

Once this line opens, will trains run continuously from Fannin South Station to Northline Transit Center Station and back? Or will we have to transfer at UH-Downtown Station to another train? The reason I ask is because they call this the North Line, making it sound like its a completely different line from the existing line. Although sometimes they do call it the Red Line extension.

It is being referred to as the "Red Line extension" already. It will be just Red Line. http://www.ridemetro.org/News/Releases/2013/05232013-2.aspx

My guess is that some trains will stop there and not go all the way to the end of the extension.  Some trains will turn around so that the main part of the Red Line has a higher frequency. 

this is probably true of both directions.

I was just thinking, this would be a great place to stage cars for special events as they are needed.   Just pile them up there and they won't interfere with normal operations until they're needed.

At least, I hope that is part of what they're thinking of using it as.

• 1 month later...

Cool pic. Doesn't even look like Houston.

I've heard those are called pocket tracks before. Maybe I'm wrong.

The Broadway stop on the Denver Light Rail is laid out in a similar fashion. Their network is more complicated than the one in Houston though, and that stop was the temporary terminus of the first phase of the system back in the mid-1990s too.

Gee, that seems like it could be a pretty confusing right turn onto Boundary from Main.  What's going to stop people from just driving on the tracks? 

Anyway, that area now somewhat reminds me of LA, with the new concrete street and nice sidewalks lol.

I didn't see what was worrying you, ricco about that Cross Timbers intersection.  Could you expand on your thoughts?  I just got back from Milan and boy are there some crazy light rail/street intersections over there.  Never saw a wreck or any complaints about it.  People will get used to it.  Adapt and survive.  That north line looks great!

• 3 weeks later...

Loved the video, Ricco. Thanks. I watched it twice. Boy, there sure isn't much along that line as far as places to go, bars, restaurants, etc...I did a little research, and there is one restaurant, Radical Eats, on Fulton near the Moody Park station that looks interesting, but I didn't see anything else that might make for a fun destination just to try the line out when it opens in December. You would think there would be at least one decent Mexican restaurant within easy walking distance of one of the stations. Oh well, maybe that will be coming. In addition, of course, to new housing for people who work Downtown or in the Medical Center and want to take the train to work.  And other possible development.      

Loved the video, Ricco. Thanks. I watched it twice. Boy, there sure isn't much along that line as far as places to go, bars, restaurants, etc...I did a little research, and there is one restaurant, Radical Eats, on Fulton near the Moody Park station that looks interesting, but I didn't see anything else that might make for a fun destination just to try the line out when it opens in December. You would think there would be at least one decent Mexican restaurant within easy walking distance of one of the stations. Oh well, maybe that will be coming. In addition, of course, to new housing for people who work Downtown or in the Medical Center and want to take the train to work. And other possible development.

There's one burger place but yea mostly chains

ugh i wish Metro would of built the University line second. it goes through a much more developed area and would have higher ridership IMO than the 3 new routes being built right now. oh well, these new lines will most likely spur some great TODs along their routes and rejuvenate these parts of town.

ugh i wish Metro would of built the University line second. it goes through a much more developed area and would have higher ridership IMO than the 3 new routes being built right now. oh well, these new lines will most likely spur some great TODs along their routes and rejuvenate these parts of town.

Values have gone up in the east end and north side village already

Archived