METRORail North Line

Trae

I happen to meet an engineer that was in town for Metro. Turns out a team of over 40 engineers were running sound/vibration tests on the material they used to sheath the rails with. Unfortunately, i don't know the results, but I'm sure someone might leak the info in the future.

also a team came to test the new car that just arrived, but I wasn't able to wiggle that much more information from them.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I happen to meet an engineer that was in town for Metro. Turns out a team of over 40 engineers were running sound/vibration tests on the material they used to sheath the rails with. Unfortunately, i don't know the results, but I'm sure someone might leak the info in the future.

also a team came to test the new car that just arrived, but I wasn't able to wiggle that much more information from them.

in previous tests on the Red Line and projections based on that for the other lines, the dBs measured about the "same" range as existing traffic noise, and within the legal limit, so METRO's argument is the trains do not increase the ambient dBs in a given location.

as far as I know, METRO has not commented on the effect of adding the "same" dBs to existing noise as opposed to increasing dBs. also left unsaid is the effect of that noise on a given location w/6 minute headways 21 hrs/day, since automobile traffic noise varies greatly in a 24 hr period, even on the fwys.

• 3 months later...

The Main Street bridge across Buffalo Bayou north of downtown will reopen midday Monday, Metro officials said, after a lengthy closure related to light rail expansion.

The bridge, a key link between downtown and the near Northside, closed in August 2011 so workers could extend the tracks north from University of Houston Downtown to Northline Commons, just outside Loop 610.

The North Line rail extension is scheduled to open next year.

The bridge reopening ends months of circuitous detours around the construction, which at one point included a diversion through a work zone parking lot.

Shops and restaurants along the route blamed the bridge’s closure for slumping sales, often complaining to the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County about the hit to their business. Metro offered businesses up to $25,000 for the loss of revenue, if they met certain criteria. But some said even that wasn’t enough.

Opening the bridge will resolve some of the issues, though some businesses have also complained the work along Main and Fulton makes it tougher to turn into their parking lots.

With work on the bridge and assorted traffic signals and lighting complete, Metro officials said the bridge is set to reopen following a Monday celebration and re-dedication. The event is scheduled for 10 a.m. at the southern end of the new bridge.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to making a new vid for this line.

Talked to someone saying that they might be testing the lines sometime during the summer.  He also said they were going to test the cars as well, but I don't know if he meant if they were going to be tested on the current line or not.

It was only a brief meeting, so that was all I got.

Additionally, when I go back to filming this summer, I'm going back to speeding up the vids, unless people like the real speed.

Once the line is completed, I'll do a complete run.

http://youtu.be/0q8w9mTIp-k

Cool video. But what's with the new lights? Don't they realize this is Texas, where lights face sideways? 

Traffic lights are only mounted sideways in Texas? I guess some small towns and parts of San Antonio and Austin didn't get the memo.

Traffic lights are only mounted sideways in Texas? I guess some small towns and parts of San Antonio and Austin didn't get the memo.

I don't think I've seen the sideways lights anywhere else (not in Louisiana or Tennessee), where it's extremely common in Texas (College Station-Bryan, almost all of Houston, Waco, etc.)

I don't think I've seen the sideways lights anywhere else (not in Louisiana or Tennessee), where it's extremely common in Texas (College Station-Bryan, almost all of Houston, Waco, etc.)

New Mexico is another state that commonly mounts their traffic lights horizontally. I've noticed that the vertically mounted traffic lights on the new light rail lines seem to be mounted mostly where the ROW  is only 1 or 2 lanes in each direction with a few exceptions. Wider sections and cross streets seem to get the horizontally mounted traffic lights.

• 3 weeks later...

Can somone give me answer as to why all the sidewalk so inconsistent? There are patches with the grass strip along the side and a small narrow sidewalk.

It varies because the right of way varies due to front setbacks of buildings. While METRO was forced to claim some properties through eminent domain, there are others where they did not to save some money so the sidewalks are narrow. I turned in a few to my councilmember who said "I didn't know there were any that narrow" METRO has trees and even bus signs coming up from the middle of the sidewalk which limits access for those in wheelchairs. It definitely is not would be considered a walkable environment.

• 1 month later...

Once this line opens, will trains run continuously from Fannin South Station to Northline Transit Center Station and back? Or will we have to transfer at UH-Downtown Station to another train? The reason I ask is because they call this the North Line, making it sound like its a completely different line from the existing line. Although sometimes they do call it the Red Line extension.

Once this line opens, will trains run continuously from Fannin South Station to Northline Transit Center Station and back? Or will we have to transfer at UH-Downtown Station to another train? The reason I ask is because they call this the North Line, making it sound like its a completely different line from the existing line. Although sometimes they do call it the Red Line extension.

Trains will run continuously... no transfers.

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas will come early - but just barely - for riders looking forward to Metro's North Line light rail extension.

Better-than-expected construction progress means the line between University of Houston Downtown and Northline Commons north of Loop 610, via Main Street and Fulton Street, is scheduled to open this year, Metropolitan Transit Authority officials said Thursday.

"They are making good progress and instead of early 2014, will be opening the North Line in December, sometime before Christmas," Metro spokesman Jerome Gray said.

Rail and concrete for platforms are in place, and most of the remaining construction involves electrical, landscaping and finishing the eight stations along the 5.3-mile extension.

In addition to finishing construction, Metro will test the line by running trains without passengers. That testing is planned for later in the summer, said David Couch, Metro's vice president of capital projects, during an April presentation.

Most of the $756 million project is being paid for with federal funds.

The North Line is one of three new light rail lines under construction. The East Line and Southeast Line are not expected to open until next year.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Metro-says-North-rail-line-to-open-early-4542806.php?plckFindCommentKey=CommentKey%3A8a41d678-5bde-4537-9eea-1d43d52a58ef

Excellent!

wow. 

To answer my own question before I even ask it, I doubt this will speed up completion of the other two rail lines.

I assume there are early completion bonuses? and I wonder how much of this early completion is thanks to the few days of rain we have had in the past years?

Well they were supposed to all be done by 2012 originally, so is it still considered early?

Once construction finally started after the acquisition fiasco they were saying 2015, so pretty cool it will be a year earlier for the other lines and two years earlier for the North line.

Next week? There's no way. I live right by the north line near North Main and Boundary St. There's still A LOT of the electrical lines that aren't connected from pole to pole. Unless they really plan to do all of that work this week! 

Next week? There's no way. I live right by the north line near North Main and Boundary St. There's still A LOT of the electrical lines that aren't connected from pole to pole. Unless they really plan to do all of that work this week! 

Apparently a rail car is going to be towed along the line:

http://www.gometrorail.org/clients/2491/537923.pdf

Wow, I stand corrected. So I drove up and down the north line today to see if I wasn't going crazy... apparently it's only the Boundary St section that has zero electrical lines for the rail cars. I guess they'll have to finish that up soon. The rest looks mostly connected and ready to go.

Archived