METRORail North Line

Trae

The only thing that I have done is thrown a wrench into your self serving diatribe of hogwash. As long as everyone plays by your rules, on your forum the world is fine - which essentially means that they agree with you . .

Once again, Editor owns the forum.

How has Red been self serving?

How has Red been talking of hogwash?

If you're going to make accusations, I'd ask that you back them up with facts and analysis. That kind of stuff might not be evident to us lowly beings on account of our such weak intellects. <_<

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still dont get it. There are tons of people that will not ride a bus but will ride a train, i am one of them. Have an LRT route to and from IAH and it will get ridership more than the current busses.

I get it. But IMO elitism isn't a reason to build light rail to IAH. Traffic relief is.

I don't know about you guys, but I would rather take a cab the airport then LRT.

How long has it been since the Red Line opened? 2 years? The blue seats already have bodily fluid look alike stains on them. It makes me sick. Not to mention some of the people that ride the train who... listen to loud music that scream out cuss words infront of little children. I can't really get mad at the crack heads who stare and make weird noises. (I can vouch for the crack heads, I've seen them light up before walking on the train, but thats only after hours... so what can one expect?).

I would feel much more comfortable & safer taking a cab with my suitcase & say, one piece of luggage, to the airport (not to mention how much time I would save). Imagine having to stop at every red light, and then passing threw fabulous Greenspoint & the awesome views of the billboarded crack motel 45.

I don't know about you guys, but I would rather take a cab the airport then LRT.

How long has it been since the Red Line opened? 2 years? The blue seats already have bodily fluid look alike stains on them. It makes me sick. Not to mention some of the people that ride the train who... listen to loud music that scream out cuss words infront of little children. I can't really get mad at the crack heads who stare and make weird noises. (I can vouch for the crack heads, I've seen them light up before walking on the train, but thats only after hours... so what can one expect?).

I would feel much more comfortable & safer taking a cab with my suitcase & say, one piece of luggage, to the airport (not to mention how much time I would save). Imagine having to stop at every red light, and then passing threw fabulous Greenspoint & the awesome views of the billboarded crack motel 45.

I had to take a cab from IAH to my home near the Med. Center a couple years ago. It was over $40. LRT would've been welcome. I think that Metro should provide armed law enforcement officers in trains, though...especially where there are airport connections.

I get it. But IMO elitism isn't a reason to build light rail to IAH. Traffic relief is.

So true. And, speaking of elitism, how many airport riders would even take the LRT to Northline and Greenspoint, on the way to IAH?

The new Intermodal is proposed to have an airport shuttle. There is even talk of having a baggage check-in. I would think that kind of convenience, with a Park&Ride coach, would get better and more efficient use than the LRT. Long range, a commuter line, with a stop at IAH, on the way to Kingwood, would work as well.

I thought cab charge a flat rate regarding for airport trips.

It would rock to pay $2 for a direct trip to the airport, that is cheaper than parking.

They did...or claimed to. But then, I'm not familiar with the rate schedule (and I'll bet most people aren't), so I could've gotten ripped off. But even then $40 for not quite that many miles is pretty standard, I'd think.

So true. And, speaking of elitism, how many airport riders would even take the LRT to Northline and Greenspoint, on the way to IAH?

The new Intermodal is proposed to have an airport shuttle. There is even talk of having a baggage check-in. I would think that kind of convenience, with a Park&Ride coach, would get better and more efficient use than the LRT. Long range, a commuter line, with a stop at IAH, on the way to Kingwood, would work as well.

Truthfully, Red, I like your idea rather than an airport LRT. In any case, we need something to that effect.

Say, Red...I was wondering what you thought of my "Iron Tripod" idea.

Metro should be like WMATA(DC transit authority)

You do stuff your not supposed to on the train, your ass is theirs. Some girl got handcuffed for eating french fries... Its sort of harsh, but hell, its the cleanest and safest subway anywhere.

You gotta be ____ed up if you think Cabs aren't dirty. They smell like more ass than LRT trains. You have my word on that.

They smell like more ass than LRT trains. You hsve my word on that.

It is likely because the driver is Indian or Paki, and they eat alot of Kuri in thier diet. That is was causes them to stink as bad as they do. :lol:

While a line to IAH would be nice, most of the riders will probably be the same people who are on the 102 Bush IAH Express bus now -- airport employees, and people who live in the Greenspoint area. The simple fact remains that the majority of business travelers who are going to/from IAH are either going to rent a car, or take a hotel shuttle or cab. Cabs to IAH aren't cheap, but when you're traveling on a corporate expense account, they're usually not considered an outrageous expense. And traveling with luggage on public transit can be a pain. I've done it many times, but it's not always easy.

I think light rail lines to both IAH and HOU should both be in Metro's long-range plans, and should eventually be built. But I think they should be a much lower priority than getting a very good system that connects the city's central core up and running. That's where the real ridership and growth potential is. Metro needs to focus on areas where many people will use the system on a regular basis, not where they'll use it a few times a year when they're heading out of town.

i've taken the current bus from downtown to IAH. I personally thought it worked well since the entire trip was freeway til the beltway/greenspoint area.

Personally, I think someone's idea mentioned earlier (on this thread or another), that it it should be a stop on a commuter rail line. say going to either the woodlands or Kingwood.

better yet, why not make it a LRT line that simply goes from Humble along 1960, dip down to IAH, and then to continue on west down 1960? I think something like that (in several years) would do quite well, it would provide a stop to those living in humble to move to more points along that northern region.

But of course, this probably wouldn't happen until way after I'm pushing up daisies. out of the ground.

I had to take a cab from IAH to my home near the Med. Center a couple years ago. It was over $40. LRT would've been welcome. I think that Metro should provide armed law enforcement officers in trains, though...especially where there are airport connections.

Just having a system where the ticket would actually be checked would sure elminate many problems. People (homeless) know they can ride it free and do.

Just having a system where the ticket would actually be checked would sure elminate many problems. People (homeless) know they can ride it free and do.

I agree with your rationale, but it's not practical to check every ticket on every trip on light rail. Too many passengers; it would slow the system down too much.

I just got back from a couple days in Vancouver last week. My wife and I had a chance to take their SkyTrain, Sea Bus, and some of the local busses.

Tickets were checked on the bus, but not on the SkyTrain or Sea Bus. Reason being that there are only a handful of passengers getting on the bus, compared to tens or hundreds of people getting on at each stop on the SkyTrain and Sea Bus.

The very thought of METRO running BRT-convert-to-LRT line with traffic at Crosstimbers is just asinine when they plan to elevate it away from the lil kids and nowhere else. It's a shame that they have to cut corners that way. **SMH** Hell, just build a continuous bridge from the school on up to Northline Mall ABOVE Crosstimbers. At least it won't tackle the RR crossing on Fulton that way. But whatever, goes to show that Houston doesn't knwo the meaning of: "U gotta spend money to make money."

The very thought of METRO running BRT-convert-to-LRT line with traffic at Crosstimbers is just asinine when they plan to elevate it away from the lil kids and nowhere else. It's a shame that they have to cut corners that way. **SMH** Hell, just build a continuous bridge from the school on up to Northline Mall ABOVE Crosstimbers. At least it won't tackle the RR crossing on Fulton that way. But whatever, goes to show that Houston doesn't knwo the meaning of: "U gotta spend money to make money."

Or better yet, a subway :D. But seriously, they need a bridge over Crosstimbers, unless they want accidents and more traffic pile-ups daily.

METRO could step up its enforcement through officers checking tickets. I've never once seen a METRO officer checking for tickets on the train.

I have -- many times. They're not always on the trains, but sometimes check people as they get on/off at station stops.

Other than the subway portions of the green line in Boston and Muni Metro in San Francisco, I don't know of any light rail systems in the US where tickets are checked as passengers board the trains. It's simply very difficult to do with open boarding platforms, and to have Metro employees stand at the doors and check tickets would not only slow things down considerably, but cost a fortune -- probably far more than Metro loses on free riders who don't get caught.

And despite what some people like to claim about rampant free riders on the trains, Metro's own research has shown a very low rate of riders getting on board without a valid fare item. This is in line with what other cities with similar systems have reported as well.

I have -- many times. They're not always on the trains, but sometimes check people as they get on/off at station stops.

And despite what some people like to claim about rampant free riders on the trains, Metro's own research has shown a very low rate of riders getting on board without a valid fare item. This is in line with what other cities with similar systems have reported as well.

I"ve been riding it fairly regularly over the last 6 months and i've been checked 3 times.

In June we took train to Memorial Hermann from Downtown. At the Rice station 5 METRO officers boarded to check tickets. There were only about 20 people in the train but when the police were seen coming on about 7 scurried off. I can tell you for a fact that the church on MacGregor and Fannin provides free breakfast for the homeless and many take the train to the church before 8am because that's when it is served.

I"ve been riding it fairly regularly over the last 6 months and i've been checked 3 times.

In June we took train to Memorial Hermann from Downtown. At the Rice station 5 METRO officers boarded to check tickets. There were only about 20 people in the train but when the police were seen coming on about 7 scurried off. I can tell you for a fact that the church on MacGregor and Fannin provides free breakfast for the homeless and many take the train to the church before 8am because that's when it is served.

I don't ride it as often or as much as I used to, but I've been checked several times.

I too have seen a group of cops get on gestapo style (which I found funny) to check everyone on the train and I too have seen people scurry off the train. Some metro cops usually focus on them though and wind up getting tickets.

I think overall complience is quite high.

Still dont get it. There are tons of people that will not ride a bus but will ride a train, i am one of them. Have an LRT route to and from IAH and it will get ridership more than the current busses.

yes I too am one of these people

maybe it's a class thing, but you get no respect riding a bus

in fact in some circles I've heard the term "slaves" appilied to people who ride buses

shame

They did...or claimed to. But then, I'm not familiar with the rate schedule (and I'll bet most people aren't), so I could've gotten ripped off. But even then $40 for not quite that many miles is pretty standard, I'd think.

Try $49.98 from IAH to Spring (Kuykendahl @ Louetta). The cab has no A/C, and he doesn't tell you he doesn't accept credit cards until we left the airport.

Try $49.98 from IAH to Spring (Kuykendahl @ Louetta). The cab has no A/C, and he doesn't tell you he doesn't accept credit cards until we left the airport.

Holy crap you got ripped off, sorry man :unsure: . I usually take a cab from IAH to north Houston. I looked it up and your destination is slightly closer than mine. I pay $26.00. I usually check before I jump in the cab

Holy crap you got ripped off, sorry man :unsure: . I usually take a cab from IAH to north Houston. I looked it up and your destination is slightly closer than mine. I pay $26.00. I usually check before I jump in the cab

Try IAH to Cypress (behind Fairfield) $87 ($100 after tip)

• 4 months later...

Reading the new Metro Solutions proposal, I had found a nice surprise in the second chapter what must be a considerably sized garage at the Northline Metro Station. This is a feature I would like to see at more of the metro stations. Even a modest garage would be nice. As an added benifit, maybe residences could park 1 vehicle provided they have a sticker and pay a nominal fee.

While I was only skimming the report, the thing I don't understand about this update is that I thought they had already decided which alignment they were going to follow.

However, a couple of other surprises is for storage and staging of the BRT's For some reason, I suspected they were going to build a new facilty where they could house them nearby and later convert it to a rail yard.

I haven't really been able to read through the entire document yet, but it proves to be an interesting read (to me).

I'm seeing maps of a 'line', whether it be BRT or LRT. Niche mentioned it was BRT but I thought it was LRT. Which is it?

And I saw somewhere on metrosolutions that construction for all rails is supposed to start late this summer. I know some may be tempted to reply with a, "yeah right, that's not gonna happen," or something to that affect. Please, don't. Unless it's fact, I'd like to know if the late summer groundbreaking is the actual target date or not.

I also know that LRT will not be implemented on the southeast side until they see ridership demands it, I'm just asking about the north line.

Thanks

Archived