New Yankees Stadium

DJ V Lawrence

yankee901.jpgLooking at the renderings, I don't see why it would cost a billion dollars. I'm wondering if it will end up looking better than Minute Maid Park, even though MMP was opened in 2000. I would imagine that if anyone were to build a billion dollar stadium, at least make it retractable, right?

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/...eeStadiumII.htm

yank500.JPG

yankee903.jpg

yank501.JPG

yank900.jpg

yankee901.jpg

yankee904.jpg

yankee905.jpg

I'm not sure why it would cost so much either unless they're counting buying out property. I was there just last month and like all of NYC, it's very dense around the ballpark. They've got to be condemning a lot of property to get enough space to build a new park. Plus, it doesn't sound like they plan on replacing what is condemned.

I still think we got a raw deal with the public financing of Minute Maid park but we sure did get a lot of stadium for the money. When you compare how little (relatively) it cost to build to comparable and less comparable stadiums we didn't do too bad. This really shows to be true seeing NYC is spending 1 billion. What did Minute Maid cost? 300-400 Mil?

^ i agree about the funding

Tradition and the look of old Yankee Stadium prior to its renovation in the 1970's will be incorporated into the new stadium.

Most of the shell of Yankees Stadium along with the field will be preserved, and the city and state will help build a hotel, convention center, a high school for sports medicine and sports management, a museum and other offices in and around the current stadium.

um, so it's essentially not Yankee Stadium II - just Yankee stadium with a power-washing and a few less seats?

according to the site, the new facility will seat about 51,800

the current seats 56,937

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/al/YankeeStadium.htm

^ i agree about the funding

Tradition and the look of old Yankee Stadium prior to its renovation in the 1970's will be incorporated into the new stadium.

Most of the shell of Yankees Stadium along with the field will be preserved, and the city and state will help build a hotel, convention center, a high school for sports medicine and sports management, a museum and other offices in and around the current stadium.

um, so it's essentially not Yankee Stadium II - just Yankee stadium with a power-washing and a few less seats?

according to the site, the new facility will seat about 51,800

the current seats 56,937

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/al/YankeeStadium.htm

I think the billion dollars is for the new Yankee Stadium itself, not including the old stadium. I think the city/state, however, are putting the majority of the funding of old Yankee Stadium, but the Yankees themselves will put in $800 million of the billion dollars into the new Yankees Stadium.

I'm thinking the property price had to be included in the cost. For the most expensive baseball stadium in the world, even Houston's MMP rendering looked far more advanced. I think we have one of the top 5 best baseball parks in the world.

Looks like the rendering suggests a design that doesn't veer to far from the current setup. I'll have to see more images, including a model, to develop a better idea of how I feel about the overall design.

The Mets want their new yard to have a retractable roof. I imagine that the Yankees assume that their old school fans would just as soon not have anything to "new age" in the park's design.

On a separate but somewhat related note, it seems some of the retro trend in stadiums is starting to die down. Here's some pics/ design of the Arizona Cardinals new stadium. The exterior is definitely different from the norm, love it or hate it, I think its good to see some with a little more bold design. Reliant is a great place to see a game, but the exterior is rather drab.

Design

Photos

Especially neat is the rolling tray system for their grass:

"The team will play on an all-grass field that stays on a platform outside the stadium 340 days a year. Outdoors, the grass gets plenty of sun and water but none of the trapped humidity and heat generally found inside covered stadiums. A few hours prior to game time, the 18.9 million-pound tray of turf will slide 740 feet into the stadium, taking just over an hour to make the trip."

Alright, as a New Yorker, its time for me to set the record straight.

1. New Yankee Stadium is being built in Macombs Dam Park next to the old ballyard and will not require any condemning of any private property or buildings.....just Macombs Dam Park. The will replace the condemned parkland used for the new ball park by makin the former Yankee Stadium site into a Hall of Fame/Little League facility and parkland.

This pic kinda illustrates it but Im sure there will be changes as that Hall of Fame looks way too small to house the Yankees collection.

yank501.JPG

2. New Yankee Stadium is built to mimic the original Yankee Stadium built in 1923 and lasting up until the 1972 renovation. The current Yankee Stadium is old Yankee Stadium turned 70's cookie cutter... a la The Vet in Philly. The new Yankee Stadium will hav the same outfield fences and essentially the same setup as the current stadium except for the outfield bleachers being pulled in closer to the outfield fence. See Left center field. Also there will be a restaurant in center serving as the batter's eye and Monument park will be moved into position infront of the restaurant along the center field wall sandwiched inbetween the bullpen's

3. The difference in price for both NY parks compared to Minute Miad Park can be attributed to a few things. For one, materials like steel and even copper wiring cost much more now then the did in 1997-2000 when MMP was built. Furthermore, equate in the higher costs of living in New York, which means higher wages to offset, thus any labor contract for construction of a ballpark in New York will always cost more then it does in Houston.

This is why Houston will have the better ballpark then new Yankee Stadium. Because all of the lower costs on the labor end of things gave Drayton and the 'Stros more money to spend on the design and amenities of Minute Maid Park, like its retractable roof. Both the Yankees and Mets had to drop their dreams of retractable-roofed stadiums because it simply costed too much money to build. The Jets and Giants have also had to do the same.

4. Speaking of the Mets, as I mentioned earlier, no retractable roof for the Mets......this is there new ballpark, which I feel will be the better of the two NY ballparks. It will open in 2009, just in time to coincide with the opeining of new Yankee Stadium.

mets700.jpg

mets703.jpg

On a separate but somewhat related note, it seems some of the retro trend in stadiums is starting to die down. Here's some pics/ design of the Arizona Cardinals new stadium. The exterior is definitely different from the norm, love it or hate it, I think its good to see some with a little more bold design. Reliant is a great place to see a game, but the exterior is rather drab.

Design

Photos

Especially neat is the rolling tray system for their grass:

"The team will play on an all-grass field that stays on a platform outside the stadium 340 days a year. Outdoors, the grass gets plenty of sun and water but none of the trapped humidity and heat generally found inside covered stadiums. A few hours prior to game time, the 18.9 million-pound tray of turf will slide 740 feet into the stadium, taking just over an hour to make the trip."

Well, football and baseball are different. Baseball parks have more "tradition" in them as oppose to football parks. Infact, football teams played in baseball parks back in the day.

Football stadiums do not hold that "aura" I guess, like baseball parks do. Infact, I don't think any fotball stadiums other than Lambeau has some kind of mystique. College Campus stadiums on the other hand, that's a different story.

Ford Field is by far the best football stadium out there. As for Cardinal Stadium, they decided to build it on cheap land out in the middle of nowhere so basically, the could build anything they wanted. What's great about MMP is that it had to look like part of downtown. I don't like the new Yankee stadium because it'll give Chicago and Boston an excuse to get rid of their old stadiums. Which would be a crime. The house that Ruth build is no more. Sad.

Ford Field is by far the best football stadium out there. As for Cardinal Stadium, they decided to build it on cheap land out in the middle of nowhere so basically, the could build anything they wanted. What's great about MMP is that it had to look like part of downtown. I don't like the new Yankee stadium because it'll give Chicago and Boston an excuse to get rid of their old stadiums. Which would be a crime. The house that Ruth build is no more. Sad.

Boston's Fenway Park is supposed to be replaced soon, but I don't know when. In the renderings, it shows that there will still be a Green Monster. Chicago's Wrigley Field is probably the most dangerous baseball stadium in America. Occasionally, you'll hear on the news that another piece of concrete fell off the stadium and would land on the bleachers below.

Ford Field is a nice stadium, and I like the originality of the design. I still think Houston and Philidelphia have better looking stadiums, though I think the most comfortable in the north would be Detroit. Minnesota's supposed to get new stadiums for both the Twins and Vikings, but nothing is set when it comes to dates.

Well it's meant to look like a coiled snake...but perhaps they should have used that exterior design for the Diamondbacks.

I thought the Arizona stadium was meant to evoke a cactus or some other desert plant. I give them points for trying something different, not just another retro-theme.

Last I heard the redevelopment ideas for Fenway were on hold. The lucky residents of Hennepin County Minnesota just yesterday were rewarded with a sales tax increase to pay for a new stadium for the Twins.

you know that the Knights of Columbus own the land which Yankee stadium sits and they gave the deed over to Rice University. Essentially George has to lease the land from no other than Houston's own Ivy League, Rice.

I forget if they changed this or not. Rice may have sold the property back to the Yankees or to the City of New York. But Rice did for a long while own the land on which the stadium sits.

makes you think that if a few cow-folk can wrangle up enough cash to buy such a prime piece of property, than anyone can be a Donald Trump or in Houston's case a Weingarten

you know that the Knights of Columbus own the land which Yankee stadium sits and they gave the deed over to Rice University. Essentially George has to lease the land from no other than Houston's own Ivy League, Rice.

http://www.ricefootball.net/yankee.htm

The Institute had acquired the venue from 1927 alumnus John Cox, who had acquired all of the capital stock of the stadium holding company in 1955. In 1962, Cox donated it to his alma mater, claiming it was theirs to have and hold, "lock, stock and barrel." Actually, Rice was in an unlikely partnership with the Knights of Columbus in that regard, because, while the Institute owned the stadium itself, the Knights owned the real estate underneath it.

http://www.rice.edu/sallyport/2006/winter/...t_Fiction2.html

Rice made several million dollars off the gift, leasing the House that Ruth Built to the Yankees for almost a decade. In winter 1966, the stadium was painted blue and white. Coincidence? We think not. The city of New York eventually forced Rice to sell Yankee Stadium in 1971 for the meager price of $2.5 million.

http://www.ricefootball.net/yankee.htm

The Institute had acquired the venue from 1927 alumnus John Cox, who had acquired all of the capital stock of the stadium holding company in 1955. In 1962, Cox donated it to his alma mater, claiming it was theirs to have and hold, "lock, stock and barrel." Actually, Rice was in an unlikely partnership with the Knights of Columbus in that regard, because, while the Institute owned the stadium itself, the Knights owned the real estate underneath it.

http://www.rice.edu/sallyport/2006/winter/...t_Fiction2.html

Rice made several million dollars off the gift, leasing the House that Ruth Built to the Yankees for almost a decade. In winter 1966, the stadium was painted blue and white. Coincidence? We think not. The city of New York eventually forced Rice to sell Yankee Stadium in 1971 for the meager price of $2.5 million.

Rice should have kept the land and evicted the team :P

• 3 months later...

Building a new Yankee Stadium will turn out to be one of the biggest mistakes in the history of the franchise. Mark my words. If they move out of "The House That Ruth Built" they will never win another championship again.

On the flip side, kudos to the Mets for getting rid of Shea Stadium. Too bad it still looks like it's out in the middle of nowhere.

Archived