Sign in to follow this  
Alpha

Westbury High School

I knew some Wuthering Heights folks but they moved in during that time and still remain...a neighborhood that has remained nice is off of Hiram Clarke and Allum and Player Streets...

when did the Aristocrat Apartments come to reality off of Airport? That's the worst eyesore in the area...who approved that?

Sterling and Madison basically opened the same time and had the same fates..both changed demographics in the 80s as the original residents moved further out...oddly enough, Madison's enrollment has grown due to the influx of hispanics and new homes off of Orem while Sterling's has dropped due to Pearland's growth

Madison's neighborhood demographics began changing shortly after it opened. By the time my wife graduated from there in 74 it was predominately black and you could forget about getting an education there. She graduated without hardly attending any classes her senior year. Her two younger brothers ended up just dropping out and getting GED’s. Felt bad for them because Westbury didn't start going downhill until the 80's when those apartments went up close by. They lived much closer to Westbury High than Madison but got screwed with the zoning.

Sterling and Madison basically opened the same time and had the same fates..both changed demographics in the 80s as the original residents moved further out...oddly enough, Madison's enrollment has grown due to the influx of hispanics and new homes off of Orem while Sterling's has dropped due to Pearland's growth

I know Sterling HS's zone is getting new homes too, as is Worthing HS's zone.

I've been told Madison went down in the 80s as opposed to the 70s...it was a great place for whites who could hoop though as Greg Kite and someone else I can't remember played under Paul Benton and eventually went to the NBA

Willowridge became the new hot spot for blacks and whites but the blacks coming in then were first generation college grads as opposed to other neighborhoods....I can personally attest to it as I sat in elementary classrooms with some kids whose parents have risen to the top of some big-time corporations

Once my area began to change, alot of folks took off to Sugar Land but my parents remained...

now, even good ol' Quail Valley has shifted and its dead on Cartwright Road

as for Westbury.....was Fondren Middle a feeder?

I lived on arboles street, and spent 7th grade at johnston, then was transfered to fondren the year it opened. I think landsdown was the boundary that year. The students I knew at fondren either went to sharpstown or westbury. This would have been in the late 60s. Everyone I knew from hillcroft east went to westbury and from fondren road west went to sharpstown. In between seemed mixed.

I lived on arboles street, and spent 7th grade at johnston, then was transfered to fondren the year it opened. I think landsdown was the boundary that year. The students I knew at fondren either went to sharpstown or westbury. This would have been in the late 60s. Everyone I knew from hillcroft east went to westbury and from fondren road west went to sharpstown. In between seemed mixed.

Yeah, there must have been some crazy scheme as to who went where. I lived west of Hillcroft, went to Fondren, then Westbury.

Fondren Middle School feeds into Bellaire, Sharpstown, and Westbury.

Well, this thread's been dead a while but here goes. Went to Westbury 66-69. It was a good place with a good spirit. Anyone remember the day dozens of guys got sent home for hair being too long? It even made the local newscast on one of the TV stations. I remember all the guys sitting in rows on the gym floor and the coaches walking up and down the rows picking out the ones to be sent home. I was sweating it, but didn't get sent. Kinda disappointed, though.

Check this, Westbury69: I was the guy who called the newspaper and the TV stations, the night before, and told them we'd be marching the next morning. I was in 10th grade. We had made up a bunch of little signs..my hair, like, touched my ears; that was the rule that I had broken. If it touched your ears, or your collar in the back, you were out. Not dozens, over a hundred kids.

When we got there the next morning, both the TV and the Newspaper people were there, much to our surprise. People were waving out the classroom windows at us, cheering us on. After a few minutes, a cop was on hand to tell us we couldn't march, because didn't have a permit, so off we went, downtown, to try to get a permit. They were already waiting for us when we got there, and with a smirk, one lady said "We can't give you a permit, son, because you're not an ORGANIZATION. Wink. Smirk.

I said "Uh, sure we are.. we're... um..." couldn't think fast enough so I unconsciously pulled out a name i had heard vaguely on the radio or TV somewhere..

"We're..uh, students for.. a Democratic Society.."

Well, shizit, that was the SDS, and they had done violent stuff in the colleges and so on (unknown to my foolish self at the time), and now they were going to infiltrate WESTBURY? No permit, sorry, and before I got out of the parking lot, as I was getting back into my car, a couple of grown men in suits flashed badges, and asked if I would take a ride with them. They drove me around the block a time or two, and asked me if I knew this person or that one. Within 5 minutes, they had figured out that I didn't know ANYTHING, or anybody, and that I was no threat to anyone, just a skinny 16 year old who wanted to grow his hair out, and who had pulled the name "SDS" out of his backside.. They took me back to my car, and told me to drive careful on my way back to school.

I got suspended for three days over the whole thing, the only time I was ever suspended.. I still remember Fred Pepper, grinning, talking to us in the office as we tried to convince him not to suspend us. "You're just like a cat.." he said, in that powerful Southern accent he had, "..You've made you a stink, and now you want to cover it up.." I did manage to get back in without cutting my hair again. I slicked it back more, and no one noticed. It wasn't long to begin with.

The chronicle archives should have it. On the front page of the Chronicle, there was a picture of Mike Tindall with what today would be SHORT hair, and a caption: "Is THIS really too long?"

Needless to say, I learned a lot in 10th grade.

But thinking back, I'm still convinced I saw the very best time of Westbury[the neighborhood] , from right when it was built. We'd walk from Atwell and Belrose over that big open field (where the post office is now) to Chimney rock and across it, to the empty fields on the other side.. As kids, 1957-61, we OWNED that little area, played in those open fields and climbed trees where the apartments are now, across Chimney Rock from the school, and made tree forts where the high school and shopping center were later to stand. Played in the construction of the original high school as it was being built. What a great time.

It is amazing how much the inner streets off Atwell and Mullins and Landsdown remind me of those days, once I get off the main streets and into the neighborhood. The trees are taller, but other than that it is THE SAME, like setting one's watch back 40 years. I'm coming back to Houston this summer to work, and I know I'll be driving in there to reminisce . If only I could hit Westbury Square. But nooooo.

Can't help but still love Westbury, though...

Edited by stu

Great post Stu. I was a senior that year and remember the incident quite well. I got in trouble with my hair that year and was threatened with being kicked out of D.E. if I didn't cut it. Not wanting to loose my afternoon job with Foleys and have to go to school all day, I ended up cutting it.

Power to the people! B)

Great post Stu. I was a senior that year and remember the incident quite well. I got in trouble with my hair that year and was threatened with being kicked out of D.E. if I didn't cut it. Not wanting to loose my afternoon job with Foleys and have to go to school all day, I ended up cutting it.

Power to the people! B)

I was in DE at Madison back in the late 70's. Does Distributive Educations still exist? I have mentioned to some of my friends kids and look at me like I am insane

Just got an email today for the Westbury class of 1978 30th reunion. Any classmates out there?

I got my letter too for 30 year reunion! I can't believe it has been 30 years!

I've been told Madison went down in the 80s as opposed to the 70s...it was a great place for whites who could hoop though as Greg Kite and someone else I can't remember played under Paul Benton and eventually went to the NBA

Greg Kite went to Pershing Jr. High so he either would have been zoned to Belaire or Lamar but his parents moved so he could play at Madison for what ever reason.

Greg Kite went to Pershing Jr. High so he either would have been zoned to Belaire or Lamar but his parents moved so he could play at Madison for what ever reason.

I know that today that the part of the Shearn Elementary School boundary east of Stella Link is zoned to Pershing for MS and Madison for HS.

I know that today that the part of the Shearn Elementary School boundary east of Stella Link is zoned to Pershing for MS and Madison for HS.

during the mid to late 70's we lived in Willowbend, and we were all zoned to Madison, even tough Westbury was less than 3 miles away.

during the mid to late 70's we lived in Willowbend, and we were all zoned to Madison, even tough Westbury was less than 3 miles away.

I grew-up on O'meara just off W. Belfort and everybody on one side of W. Befort went to madison while the other side went to Bellaire. You drove almost by Westbury to get to Madison. Lucky for me I was able to go under the radar and go to Westbury.

When I went to Westbury in the early '80s, I remember they had spitoons with running water in the hallways. For the 1st year I thought that these were men's urinals and I couldn't figure out why they were out where everyone could see them... Eventually I learned they were for spitting tobacco juice!

I grew-up on O'meara just off W. Belfort and everybody on one side of W. Befort went to madison while the other side went to Bellaire. You drove almost by Westbury to get to Madison. Lucky for me I was able to go under the radar and go to Westbury.

Marlins RULE....class of '79,

er, if I hadn't dropped out to take that construction job

I was in DE at Madison back in the late 70's. Does Distributive Educations still exist? I have mentioned to some of my friends kids and look at me like I am insane

I truly feel compelled to make note on "Distributive Education Careers of America", did I get that right? or D.E.C.A. as it was known. I was in it for 2 years circa 1978-1979 we would go to an annual competition or banquet and sometimes compete with other high schools so Westbury must have been one of them?

Here is some real trivia, does anyone recall ever going to a DECA meet at the then brand new Westwood Mall? around 1978-79? Oh my God, I have many pics of our group 11th & 12th graders in blue blazers and the girls had blue plaid skirts. My mom actually made some of the guys blazers for us.

I also have the very large and wide photo of that annual banquet where all the schools DE classes attended in the Astrodome banquet hall??? I cant even remember but its engraved on the bottom right and I had some pals sign the back. We were all seated at the large table up front by the speakers.

Wow I should have created a topic just about DE - Distributive Education. Still have my buttons and pins that have DECA. I worked at Gulfgate Mall while going to 12th grade. This was a real flash back! :lol:

DECALogoHi.jpg

Vertigo. I was in Westbury DECA in my senior year (69). I loved only going to school half a day then going to work, which was downtown Foleys for me. Mrs. Rose was the teacher back then. Was she still there in 78? I think I heard she got married so she may have had a different last name. She was a great teacher, unfortunately I was a lousy student. :)

Vertigo. I was in Westbury DECA in my senior year (69). I loved only going to school half a day then going to work, which was downtown Foleys for me. Mrs. Rose was the teacher back then. Was she still there in 78? I think I heard she got married so she may have had a different last name. She was a great teacher, unfortunately I was a lousy student. :)

Well, I was at Stephen F Austin (on other side of town) inlate 70's. However, its possible we would see her at the city gatherings I mentioned above. My teacher was Ms Blaha, late 20's & she was a Debby Harry look-a-like, mini skirt and all. :D

DECA had an array of crazy students, most seemed straight as an arrow but would light up at any given moment. :ph34r: Kind of like Catholic school students would do. The w i d e photo I have had about 1,000 students/faculty but you can see faces quite clear. Wow I really need to scan and cut it out right! I miss those fun, carefree days.

As a final nice comment I can say that Westbury was always regarded as one of the finest and best schools in Houston. I am quite serious on that, today its another story I'm afraid.

i lived in post oak manor, less than a mile from westbury to the east and zoned to madison. which to me was not even in houston it was so far. growing up i considered anything on the other side of main, i-10, i-45 and gessner outside of houston proper. fortunately for me, i went to saint agnes and didn't have to go to madison.

it is sad that children were made to switch schools because of some arbritary line. that first year of zoning was a mess because people who had made sports teams, cheerleaders, student goverment leaders, etc. were forced to go to a different school than the school they attended the year before.

I went to Westbury 68-69 & 69-70 then got zoned to Madison my senior year 70-71. I thought it was the end of my world. Westbury was one of the greatest schools in HISD in every way and I had gone to Johnston Jr H with all the same kids. It was very tough on us "Transfers" but the Madison kids couldn't have been nicer to us & tried to include us in everything. It turned out to be a great life experience & the zoning did what it was designed to do. I went to school with black kids (Madison was about 1/2 black 1/2 white) for the first time. It was a heartbreaking start to an awsome year.

I truly feel compelled to make note on "Distributive Education Careers of America", did I get that right? or D.E.C.A. as it was known. I was in it for 2 years circa 1978-1979 we would go to an annual competition or banquet and sometimes compete with other high schools so Westbury must have been one of them?

Here is some real trivia, does anyone recall ever going to a DECA meet at the then brand new Westwood Mall? around 1978-79? Oh my God, I have many pics of our group 11th & 12th graders in blue blazers and the girls had blue plaid skirts. My mom actually made some of the guys blazers for us.

I also have the very large and wide photo of that annual banquet where all the schools DE classes attended in the Astrodome banquet hall??? I cant even remember but its engraved on the bottom right and I had some pals sign the back. We were all seated at the large table up front by the speakers.

Wow I should have created a topic just about DE - Distributive Education. Still have my buttons and pins that have DECA. I worked at Gulfgate Mall while going to 12th grade. This was a real flash back! :lol:

DECALogoHi.jpg

I was in DE at Madison in the late 70's too...it's a small world after all

I was that idiot who got kicked out of DE for quitting too many jobs....they were really nice folks as I recall...I probably should have taken them more seriously

Edited by Native Son

This image is like a window on a whole 'nother world.. you guys remember assistant principal Fred Pepper?

For those that remember Fred Pepper, I would like to hear what you have to say about him. Good and bad. He was my Grandfather. This July will be 20 years since he passed. I wish I had the chance to learn more from him and get to know him better.

I hate to do this, but I have to...

On the street of Old South Rice, known to you and I,

Stands an old abandoned OUTHOUSE,

Known as Bellaire High.

Sorry, but the devil made me do it.

:wub:

Thank you for this, from a Westbury 1978 grad! Man, the rivalry back then between Westbury & Bellaire, legendary!

Thank you for this, from a Westbury 1978 grad! Man, the rivalry back then between Westbury & Bellaire, legendary!

Quite accurate! We even used to hear about that rivalry all the way to our side (Stephen F Austin) :lol:

I also wish I could thank my DECA teacher Ms Blaha for her encouragement and professionalism while a student in DE. She was also quite a knock out, too bad I was just a teen. Rats!

For those that remember Fred Pepper, I would like to hear what you have to say about him. Good and bad. He was my Grandfather. This July will be 20 years since he passed. I wish I had the chance to learn more from him and get to know him better.

I met your grandfather in the late 60s when I was a young baseball player and he was a coach. He used to hold summer baseball clinics at Westbury HS. He was well respected as a coach that really knew his baseball. The kids would listen and do whatever he said. Through the eyes of a 13-14 year old, he came across as a little stern, but that was a coach's professional persona in those days. Even so, he seemed to be a nice man that cared about kids.

When I arrived at Westbury as a student (69-72), he was the assistant principal. His style of handling discipline was always direct and to the point without getting angry. Everybody appreciated the fact that he didn't need to yell or berate them to be an effective administrator. I remember he came on the speaker one day to address the whole school about dress code. Girls were starting to wear semi-revealing clothing such as peasant tops, mini-skirts, etc. He announced that the girls needed to "cover it up" because "Even a monkey likes to peel his own banana". We thought that was great.

I was a member of the Rebel Guard---10 guys who guarded our mascot, Johnny Reb. One night before our football game with Bellaire (our arch rival) we stole the Bellaire Cardinal mascot from one of their "Birdkeepers" homes. Probably not a good idea to break and enter, but a fantastic capture for the ages, nonetheless. Their principal was furious (but probably even more embarrassed), calling Coach Pepper and threatening to press charges. Coach called all of us into his office and asked where the Bird was. No one said anything. He said "Well, I guess I'll have to suspend all of you then" as he grabbed his pen and discipline referrals. What a great bluff! He couldn't really suspend any of us without evidence and he had nothing. But we knew Coach as a man that could do just about anything he said he would do. We caved in and confessed. He said if we gave the Bird back, he would keep us out of trouble. I think he really admired the fact that we were able to steal their prize possession, but he wasn't going to tell us. You could just see it in his eyes. It was the perfect way to handle the situation.

Edited by glzuma

That really makes me sad. Westbury was only two years old when I started in 1963.

1963? Remember a band back then at Westbury named the Backbeats?

Designs for Westbury HS fine arts wing take shape

https://blogs.houstonisd.org/news/2018/08/29/designs-for-westbury-hs-fine-arts-wing-take-shape/

As work on the initial scope of Westbury High School’s bond construction is wrapping up, Project Advisory Team members met recently for the first look at design plans for another new addition.

The new $6.2 million fine arts wing, which is funded through surplus 2012 Bond Program funds, will be built on the north side of the campus on the site of the school’s old gymnasium and dining hall, which are in the process of being demolished.

Construction of the fine arts wing is expected to start in the first quarter of 2019 and take about 10 months to complete.

Preliminary designs for the new wing feature band and orchestra halls with individual and small group practice rooms, a speech and debate room, a black box theater, and dance and art studios. The existing auditorium will also be updated with a new sound system, house lights, paint, carpet, and seating. Plans also call for the wood stage floor to be refinished and acoustical panels.

yKI7Lw5.jpg

2TWHOmc.jpg

oPhTVZp.jpg

pcek528.jpg