Sign in to follow this  
Alpha

Westbury High School

Nice pics. Almost the same perspective, which makes it easy to compare.

I never went to Westbury... don't know a thing about it. But it sure looks like there were A LOT of changes over the years.

For starters, it appears the school has more than doubled in size. I can see the original building and it appears as if they've added quite a bit in back of it. But it also looks like they took something off the front. If you look at the bottom center part of the school in the sat photo and in your 1966 pic, the front contour appears to be more recessed, as if they removed that 3 story part with what seems like a covered walkway.

What's that over by the baseball diamond in the satellite photo? Are those classrooms? They look almost like temporary buildings. If they are, I sure they give the students plenty of time between classes 'cause that's a hike going from one of those to the front of the school.

I notice that water tower is gone, although there is a circle on the ground where it once stood. But like you, what I don't notice is parking, save for that one tiny lot on the right hand side. Those temporary looking buildings have filled in the 1966 lot. Apparently if you want to drive, you have to park on the street along the left side and top of the picture.

For starters, it appears the school has more than doubled in size. I can see the original building and it appears as if they've added quite a bit in back of it. But it also looks like they took something off the front. If you look at the bottom center part of the school in the sat photo and in your 1966 pic, the front contour appears to be more recessed, as if they removed that 3 story part with what seems like a covered walkway.

The original three-story classroom building was condemned a few years ago and torn down. They were going to renovate it, but when they went in to inspect it, it was so bad that they immediately shut it down. I believe it had something to do with the foundation. I don't think they even let students come in and empty their lockers. The last part may be wrong, but it's what I heard.

Maybe someone else can verify it.

from the Chronicle, July 12, 2001:

As the structurally unsound building is headed toward destruction in the next two months, about 25 portable classrooms are being moved onto campus and situated in the student parking area, Lindsay said. The structures will house about 50 classrooms and provide restroom facilities.

so those temp buildings should be gone now...

Yep, the portables are gone. The old building has been replaced with a new one.

I know about the new one. It looks great. I wish that the google satellite pics were more up-to-date. I'd love to see an overhead view of the campus now.

I started to put this in the Westbury Square forum, but I decided to start this one for any Westbury alumni.

I graduated from Westbury in 1966. The left side of this picture is the google image from Westbury now (probably 4 or 5 years ago, considering the age of the google satellite pics.) The one on the right is the end sheet from my 1966 yearbook.

I don't see any large parking lots in the satellite pic. Where are they? I haven't seen Westbury in over 20 years. I should probably drive by and take a look at it.

westbury.jpg

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westbury_High_School_(Houston)

Middle-class families haven't abandoned Westbury itself, but they have abandoned Westbury High in droves. For several years now, it has drawn its population primarily from low-rent apartment complexes in the area. Sixty-four percent of the students qualify for free or reduced-price lunches, and the SAT average last year was a dismal 853. WHS also acquired some unwanted notoriety during the 2005-06 school year when fights broke out between Houston students and evacuees from New Orleans, and when a girl was raped in the restroom by a man who walked in off the street.

Nice new building, though.

That really makes me sad. Westbury was only two years old when I started in 1963. I think I got a fantastic education. In the faculty section of the yearbook, it shows that a great many of the teachers had master's degrees.

When I took the advanced placement English test at U of H, I was able to place out of the first semester freshman English. Later I found out that almost everyone from Westbury who took the test placed out of it. We joked that they probably made the test harder the next year.

I attended Westbury in the late '70's. I thought it was a great school at the time also. But, even though the new building is beautiful and expensive-looking, I believe that the recent TEA rating for Westbury was Academically Unacceptable. What a sad legacy...

Edited by pineda

Looks weird with no shopping center on the other side

of gasmer/chimney rock.. I went there 73-75. Back

then, there was a coffee shop across the street.

"Jims Coffee Shop" if I remember right...

Mobil station on the corner.

And then the various stores, and the grocery store

on the end next to the bayou. That was all there when

I moved here in late 69, so they must have built all that

pretty quick if that pix is 66. As far as the layout, buildings,

etc, the 66 pix is very close to what they had in the 70's.

The building by the water tower was the oceanography

building. By the time I went there, Burdine was there on the

east side of the school next to the volleyball/handball

courts, and also the apartments next door on gasmer

were fairly new at that time. Kind of weird seeing no

east side street in that pix... I do seem to see what I

think are the driveway/parking lots for the apartments

across the street on Chimney rock. Probably were fairly new..

When I went to westbury, those that drove cars either

parked on one of the side streets, or in the school

parking lot.. In that recent sat pix, I kinda wonder

where in the heck they are parking... The lots are

full of temp buildings.. The new westbury is a different

school from the one I went to. I didn't realize they

totally bulldozed the old place. I thought they just gutted

and rebuilt the old building to newer standards.. But I

never really looked that close. Remember when HISD

first got A/C in the classrooms... I do.. That was when I

was at Johnston...Bout 70-71.. They used those ceiling

hung units tied into a big chiller.. Worked ok I guess, but

if the chiller went down, naturally they all went down..

The kids today probably wouldn't know how to act with

no a/c.. But it was the norm when I first started school.

It was a big deal when they finally broke down and installed

air conditioning.

MK

Looks weird with no shopping center on the other side of gasmer/chimney rock.. I went there 73-75. Back

then, there was a coffee shop across the street. "Jims Coffee Shop" if I remember right... Mobil station on the corner. And then the various stores, and the grocery store on the end next to the bayou. That was all there when I moved here in late 69, so they must have built all that pretty quick if that pix is 66.

This is a great old picture; Yes, stores went up in that corner 67 or 68, because Jim's coffee shop was up by the time I went to 10th grade there in 69. We'd have coffee there before school sometimes. I still remember that clump of trees across Gasmer; earlier it had more surrounding brush too, if i remember correctly, and we'd pick dewberries, and sit up high in a tree fort we had made in that clump of trees.

Up from WB High on the same side of Gasmer, none of those apartments had yet been built.

This image is like a window on a whole 'nother world.. you guys remember assistant principal Fred Pepper?

stu

Yep, Pepper was there when I was. He might have been

principle at that time though. I remember Rivers Lodge,

and also a new Asst. Washington if I remember right..

I forgot who was the head principle out of that bunch..

It was either Lodge, or Pepper. I don't have a yearbook to

double check..

MK

double check..

MK

In the years I was there (63-66) Fred Pepper was a phys ed. teacher. Rivers Lodge was dean of women, Kenneth Gupton was asst. principal, and William Burns was principal. Mr. Burns died the summer after I graduated and Mr. Gupton became principal.

It looks like a lot of the original school remains when comparing the two photos. I attended Robert E. Lee High School and have heard that Westbury and Lee had the same layout. In the newer photo, I see the following areas of the existing school remain:

office

auditorium and possibly drama, chorus and band rooms

court yard space across from auditorium that extended to the library

library

cafeteria

snack bar area

girls locker room

gym

boys locker room

The removal of the long, monotonous three story classroom building is the major change. I cannot remember one interesting architectural feature or pleasant space at Lee. It was a terribly unpleasant, institutional facility. There must have been a lack of funds and/or imagination in HISD in the early 1960s. The elementary schools were still being thoughtfully designed but the junior and senior high schools were bare bones. I have seen Lamar High School, which is only about 15-20 years older, and the differences in quality are astounding.

I wonder if the air conditioners work any better today. When ours went out, which was often, it stayed down for several weeks. They always said they had to wait on a part. Trucks must have only operated once a month back in the late 1970s. The year before I got to Lee, the radical Lee students staged a protest strike and marched the streets around the school due to the lack of air conditioning. It was on all the local news stations and the school reputation was damaged for years.

Johnny_Reb_sm.jpg

Johnny Rebel- The Westbury Mascot

It is very much like the Lee mascot. The football games between Westbury and Lee must have been confusing with both sides waving the same flag.

Edited by SpaceAge

I have seen Lamar High School, which is only about 15-20 years older, and the differences in quality are astounding.

I wonder if the air conditioners work any better today. When ours went out, which was often, it stayed down for several weeks. They always said they had to wait on a part. Trucks must have only operated once a month back in the late 1970s. The year before I got to Lee, the radical Lee students staged a protest strike and marched the streets around the school due to the lack of air conditioning. It was on all the local news stations and the school reputation was damaged for years.

I'm not sure when Lamar was built, but my dad went there in the early 40s.

ETA - It was built in 1937.

We had no air conditioning when I was in school. I had to go to college for that. The school where I taught my first two years also had no air conditioning. That was really miserable. They finally got it the third year.

Edited by Alpha

I'm not sure when Lamar was built, but my dad went there in the early 40s.

ETA - It was built in 1937.

We had no air conditioning when I was in school. I had to go to college for that. The school where I taught my first two years also had no air conditioning. That was really miserable. They finally got it the third year.

And my sister went there from fall 2001 to spring 2005.

My sister never had major complaints about LHS. In fact my mom's a big fan of LHS' architecture.

Edited by VicMan

double check..

MK

Fred Pepper was my baseball coach at Lamar High School in the early 50's. He was very good. He went to Rice in the mid 40's and was, briefly, a pitcher in the Yankee's farm system before he came to Lamar. I had heard that he eventually became the principal at Westbury.

Now that I think about it, I think Gupton was the principal

when I was there. Pepper and Lodge were both assistants.

I think Washington came along when I was a junior and was

a third assistant/coach, or something along those lines.

Hard to believe thats already been 30 years ago..

I just was recording and editing some old 8mm stuff from

the late 60's, early 70s. Some is at surfside, and some

was in Westbury. IE: I've got video of the 1973 snow, and

it was shot on W. Bellfort near Mullins. I still remember that

snow.. I was in 10th grade. It's never even come close to

that snow here since then. I made a appx 4mb clip of that

snow video for online use. I'll try to post it sometime later.

Gotta see if I have that much room left. I may need to

delete some old junk.

MK

It looks like a lot of the original school remains when comparing the two photos. I attended Robert E. Lee High School and have heard that Westbury and Lee had the same layout.

I remember that Westbury and Lee look exactly the same. I'm curious, does Lee still have the original three-story classroom building? I would think that it had the same construction as the one at Westbury and probably the same structural problems.

I attended Westbury (1975-1978) and currently work near Lee High School. Also briefly attended Lee HS for some HCC classes about 16 years ago. They were almost identical floor plans and looked to be similar construction. Lee HS appears to have only minor if any modifications.

Thanks for the great pictures!

Looks weird with no shopping center on the other side

of gasmer/chimney rock.. I went there 73-75. Back

then, there was a coffee shop across the street.

"Jims Coffee Shop" if I remember right...

Mobil station on the corner.

And then the various stores, and the grocery store

on the end next to the bayou.

The grocery store was "Lewis and Coker"

At the other end of the shopping strip was a BBQ place named "The Pit Stop"

It had a race car theme.

Unfortunately, the addition of apartments on Gasmer was the beginning of the end.

Went there in 1983 for a while. It was a cool school! I heard it went down hill eventually. Don't know for sure.

Is Westbury High School in Class 4A or 5A? It sounds like one that's near Lamar High School.

Lee, Westbury and Worthing were identical schools, approved during the same bond election. Madison and Sterling were identical, same bond election. Scarborough and Lincoln were the same, and for that matter Bellaire and Waltrip were pretty close to being the same too. My dad told me that Reagan and Milby were identical, approved during the same bond election along with Lamar, but Lamar of course was built to look different because of it's superior location at the base of River Oals Blvd.

Is Westbury High School in Class 4A or 5A? It sounds like one that's near Lamar High School.
Westbury is in 5A now.
Scarborough and Lincoln were the same
What happened to Lincoln High School?

Westbury is in 5A now.What happened to Lincoln High School?

I don't know, Isn't it still over there off of Tate near West Dallas? Haven't been in those parts for awhile, so maybe it's gone.

Johnny_Reb_sm.jpg

Johnny Rebel- The Westbury Mascot

It is very much like the Lee mascot. The football games between Westbury and Lee must have been confusing with both sides waving the same flag.

that mascot looked good in the back of a Birdkeeper's pickup. Go Cards. :lol:

BHS class of 66. I probably knew you Alpha.

I don't know, Isn't it still over there off of Tate near West Dallas? Haven't been in those parts for awhile, so maybe it's gone.

Taft near West Dallas? The area is divided between Lamar High School and Reagan High School. Either way, Lincoln High School no longer exists.

What was its exact address?

Ahh, I remember those days. Westbury didn't have the advantage of having (Bellaire) police pick up their mascot the day before a game and lock it up in the basement of their police station, so they usually came out on the short end of the stick. :D

Isn't that the Gregory-Lincoln Education Center, the K-8 Fine Arts magnet? Was that ever a high school? It was built in 1966 and is getting a new building.

There was a Lincoln High School in Houston during the '70s. Nothing about it on the internet though. It seems to have vanished.

There's someone on HAIF named Vicman who would know about this.

Isn't that the Gregory-Lincoln Education Center, the K-8 Fine Arts magnet? Was that ever a high school? It was built in 1966 and is getting a new building.

There was a Lincoln High School in Houston during the '70s. Nothing about it on the internet though. It seems to have vanished.

There's someone on HAIF named Vicman who would know about this.

VicMan is the one who first raised the question... We're trying to figure out what happened to it.

VicMan is the one who first raised the question... We're trying to figure out what happened to it.

It was a black school (same as Yates, Wheatley, Carver) that I believe was converted to a junior high or some other use I believe, but stand to be corrected.

Other similar schools that are no longer around or have been converted to other uses include Williams in HISD and Elmore in North Forest.

I would have sworn that there had not been a Lincoln anything built south of the Mason Dixon Line since 1865. Lincoln HS, Houston is listed on Classmates.com and had graduates from the late 60s thru the early 80's. There is one reference on the message board from 2004 that alludes to it being torn down soon. There were only a couple of hundred alum listed on classmates so it must have been a fairly small school.

There's not much info out there, especially not from HISD, but it sure looks like Gregory Elementary School moved to the fortress-like campus of Lincoln High School (built 1966) in 1980. A new K-8 school, the Gregory-Lincoln Education Center, was thus created and the high-school age kids in the area were distributed to Lamar, Davis, and Reagan. Gregory-Lincoln became the district's fine arts magnet middle school a year or two later.

BHS class of 66. I probably knew you Alpha.

I hate to do this, but I have to...

On the street of Old South Rice, known to you and I,

Stands an old abandoned OUTHOUSE,

Known as Bellaire High.

Sorry, but the devil made me do it.

:wub:

I hate to do this, but I have to...

On the street of Old South Rice, known to you and I,

Stands an old abandoned OUTHOUSE,

Known as Bellaire High.

Sorry, but the devil made me do it.

:wub:

Back in the old days at Rice, we of the MOB would always throw a party for the UT band when Rice played UT (or they would reciprocate when we went to Austin) Funny, they would always sing a song for us very much like that about A&M. (to the tune, I believe, of "Far Above Cayuga's Waters")

Back in the old days at Rice, we of the MOB would always throw a party for the UT band when Rice played UT (or they would reciprocate when we went to Austin) Funny, they would always sing a song for us very much like that about A&M. (to the tune, I believe, of "Far Above Cayuga's Waters")

My mother was a student at UofH in the late 30's. She told me that when they got to play Rice on any occasion, one of the Cougar fight songs always ended with this chant, "What comes out of a chinaman's ass? Rice!, Rice!, Rice!.

Bless her soul, she passed away just this year. She was 90 years old.

I wonder how those UH grads feel when they think about the offensive song and see the student body of UH as of 2007....

I wonder how those UH grads feel when they think about the offensive song and see the student body of UH as of 2007....

"Man, that's a lot of rice!" :lol: They said it as late as the middle 80's, believe me! We thought it was funny.

Edited by marmer

Well, this thread's been dead a while but here goes. Went to Westbury 66-69. It was a good place with a good spirit. Anyone remember the day dozens of guys got sent home for hair being too long? It even made the local newscast on one of the TV stations. I remember all the guys sitting in rows on the gym floor and the coaches walking up and down the rows picking out the ones to be sent home. I was sweating it, but didn't get sent. Kinda disappointed, though.

Then there was the jukebox that was allowed in the cafeteria courtyard area. That was radical. I remember being absolutely blown away by Sunshine of Your Love that was played over and over. Never had heard guitar like that.

Coach Reagan (or O'Reagan?) came in one day and did the usual "It's team A against B" only he said this was going to be a competion in archery and the team with the most guys left standing would win - as in a contact sport. So try not to get shot. This was going to weed out the pansies (or some such term. Funny stuff. I also remember getting paddle swat from him. That was some serious hurt. The best was dodge ball in the gym. All-out war.

Sure was tough always losing to Bellaire in football.

Here is a population graph showing the changes to Westbury High School over the years: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...609/school.aspx

But in 2006-2007 the population dipped to 2,099 with African-American percentages going from 52% to 49% and Hispanic going from 38% to 42%: http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Westbury_HS.pdf

Also here is the school's boundary map http://dept.houstonisd.org/ab/schoolbounda.../WestburyHS.pdf

Well, this thread's been dead a while but here goes. Went to Westbury 66-69. It was a good place with a good spirit. Anyone remember the day dozens of guys got sent home for hair being too long? It even made the local newscast on one of the TV stations. I remember all the guys sitting in rows on the gym floor and the coaches walking up and down the rows picking out the ones to be sent home. I was sweating it, but didn't get sent. Kinda disappointed, though.

Then there was the jukebox that was allowed in the cafeteria courtyard area. That was radical. I remember being absolutely blown away by Sunshine of Your Love that was played over and over. Never had heard guitar like that.

Coach Reagan (or O'Reagan?) came in one day and did the usual "It's team A against B" only he said this was going to be a competion in archery and the team with the most guys left standing would win - as in a contact sport. So try not to get shot. This was going to weed out the pansies (or some such term. Funny stuff. I also remember getting paddle swat from him. That was some serious hurt. The best was dodge ball in the gym. All-out war.

Sure was tough always losing to Bellaire in football.

I graduated from Westbury in 69 also. I remember the hair fiasco.

It was a great place to go to school in the 60's. Felt sorry for some of my buddies that got zoned to Madison.

The grocery store was "Lewis and Coker"

At the other end of the shopping strip was a BBQ place named "The Pit Stop"

It had a race car theme.

Unfortunately, the addition of apartments on Gasmer was the beginning of the end.

Great to see all these postings! Makes me nostalgic. I attended Westbury from 1979-1982. I remember the places mentioned above (BBQ restaurant and Lewis and Coker grocery store). Westbury Square nearby. Also a TGIY discount store nearby, and Monterey House mex. restaurant more towards Main/90. Also Meyer Speedway, near the stadium.

I have the 1981 Citadel yearbook.

When did Madison High open?

It was a great place to go to school in the 60's. Felt sorry for some of my buddies that got zoned to Madison.

I remember it too, more than one persons high school experience was wrecked by it. I remember a similar situation at A.S. Johnston, where they were lined up and anyone with long hair, or the wrong clothes got kicked out. One girl was told she was a slut by the assistant principle for wearing a peasant blouse.

I tell my 18 year old daughter the list of proscribed clothing, fashion and hair situations, and she looks at me like I am from mars.

wasn't Madison primarily white when it opened liked Sterling? Then they migrated to Fort Bend and opened Willowridge and so on and so on...

wasn't Madison primarily white when it opened liked Sterling? Then they migrated to Fort Bend and opened Willowridge and so on and so on...

In 1965 Madison was located on the fringe of a rural area....the farms were old, and the subdivisions were brand new.

I guess it depends on who you mean by "they". My neighbors on Wuthering Hts seemed to all move to Kingwood or the Woodlands in the early to mid 70's...I don't think Ft. Bend was far enough away from whatever they thought they were running from

Edited by Native Son

I knew some Wuthering Heights folks but they moved in during that time and still remain...a neighborhood that has remained nice is off of Hiram Clarke and Allum and Player Streets...

when did the Aristocrat Apartments come to reality off of Airport? That's the worst eyesore in the area...who approved that?

Sterling and Madison basically opened the same time and had the same fates..both changed demographics in the 80s as the original residents moved further out...oddly enough, Madison's enrollment has grown due to the influx of hispanics and new homes off of Orem while Sterling's has dropped due to Pearland's growth