Your Electricity Bill

flipper

Green Mountain is such a scam. It really bugs me that they use the "saving the environment" crap to sell their overpriced product.

The electricity you are using is the same as the guy who is using nuclear, coal and lng.

Green Mountain isn't very forthcoming with the fact that they only produce enough "Green" energy to service < 10,000 homes and that is only if you are in the SW near one of their facilities. They sell it in to the grid and most of it goes to AZ and SoCal. Everyone else that is paying a premium for "green" energy isn't getting what they are paying for.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i fully understand that my electricity isn't wired in from some extra special ecofriendly line.

i do *hope* that they are using the extra $ to indeed fund more wind and solar facilities like they are supposed to

1) 2500 sf

2) built in 1945, with additions in the 1970's, 1980's and 2000's.

3) $354 for 2302 kWh ($.1541/kWh)

4) Reliant

5) We keep the upstairs at 80 and downstairs at 74 while we're home...however, we spent the last month living upstairs while we had some remodeling done at the house, so we kept the upstairs at 74 for the last month, and the contractors don't know how to keep the doors shut during the day, so they wasted a lot of AC as well. Next month should go back to normal.

2750 sq ft

15 years old

450.00 With 2 ac units. I keep my ac on 69 at night so it's probably a little high for my home size. I'm actually getting a brand new unit tomorrow (downstairs) so hopefully the bill goes down a little.

Reliant

-1500 sf

-$267

-Green Mountain

Mrs. Porchman offices at home. Mrs. Porchman has explained to me, in no uncertain terms, that she does not do 78 degrees. And, in fact, Mrs. Porchman has conceded to 75 daytime, 72 bedtime. I installed a programmable thermostat to ensure this schedule is adhered to.

Hmmm...wonder how that boycott is going since they haven't updated their site in over 7 years.

-1500 sf

-$267

-Green Mountain

Mrs. Porchman offices at home. Mrs. Porchman has explained to me, in no uncertain terms, that she does not do 78 degrees. And, in fact, Mrs. Porchman has conceded to 75 daytime, 72 bedtime. I installed a programmable thermostat to ensure this schedule is adhered to.

Hmmm...wonder how that boycott is going since they haven't updated their site in over 7 years.

not so much worried about the boycott as the info (some of it).

I did a quick google search and posted the first one. more info on Green Mountain's shady practices can be found with a very simple Google search.

I think everybody knows you're paying so that a higher percentage of the grid will become renewable, not so they will directly attach a turbine to your house. If nobody paid specifically for renewable, there would be much less renewable going into the grid. At least that's how I understand it. I think a lot of people (okay some people) like that idea, even if their house isn't connected directly to a turbine.

That anti-Green Mountain website is interesting but I have a few questions. What are his sources? He says "Yes. All of the above are true." but he does not cite anything. Most of the articles he tries to link to just take you to another website energyjustice.com rather than the actual articles, and several headlines I looked up in google do not show up anywhere besides boycotgreenmountain.com.

I also wonder what might have changed since 2000. Some of the groups who he says are boycotting Green Mountain say nothing about the boycott on their websites. Maybe the boycotts have ended or never existed ?

I'm not defending Green Mountain, I'm just questioning whether that website is somehow biased or out of date. He says to support a different green energy company. Could he possibly have ties with this rival company?

I don't use Green Mountain, by the way. I am using a company that offers some renewable energy plans though.

I think everybody knows you're paying so that a higher percentage of the grid will become renewable, not so they will directly attach a turbine to your house. If nobody paid specifically for renewable, there would be much less renewable going into the grid. At least that's how I understand it. I think a lot of people (okay some people) like that idea, even if their house isn't connected directly to a turbine.

That isn't how they market their product though.

1360 sf

2.5 years

$164 (versus $134 last summer)

Reliant, but switching to Commerce.

Before they switched out my 45 year old meter, it used to get stuck. I had bills as low as $10.43. :lol:

From October to April (7 months), my total electric bill was $89.98. The new meter spins like a top, though. :(

Leaving Commerce ($.131) for Spark ($.115).

This year, my highest bill has been $203, but the house has central AC, versus last year's window units. At Spark's rate, my highest bill would have been $169, only $5 more than the window unit cost. Plus, my August bill last year hit $310. No way that will happen this year. This time last year, I probably could not get the house any cooler than the mid 80s. This year, I run at 78 or 79 degrees.

In the spring, when some days are warm, others not so much, I run the AC at 76 or even 75 to get the unit to run often enough to dry the air. As the temperature rises, the unit runs more often, so 78 is comfortable to me. This last week, I raised it to 79, as the unit runs so often that the inside air is dry always. I grew up without air conditioning, so ulta low temps like 72 or <shuuder> 68 or 69 are literally painful to me. Good thing too, since I would cry with a $450 electric bill.

Can someone tell me if it is better to jack your A/C up to 84/85 during the day and make it cool back down to 77/78 when you get home from work ~OR~ raise it to only 81/82 during the day so it doesn't have to work as hard getting back to 77/78 when you get home?

I'm trying to figure out the best efficiency. If I should raise it to 90, then I will. I just don't want to run it too hard and negate my savings when it has to cool down in the evening. What is the "breakeven" point?

2500 sq ft, 2 story, 1 A/C unit

My thermostat is set to go up to 87 or 88 during weekdays, which hasn't been a problem for me unless I forget about it and try to work from home one day.

This website seems to back it up that it is more efficient this way, but the downside is the longer period of time getting back to tolerable temperature conditions....

To maximize your savings, set the wake, return and sleep temperature to your desired temperature (78 degrees is optimal). Set your leave temperature 5 to 10 degrees higher than your desired temperature. Set your return time for about one hour before you actually return (4 p.m., in your case). If your house does not feel comfortable when you return, try lowering your leave temperature and/or setting an earlier time for your return.

http://www.exeloncorp.com/ComedCare_Main/C...nditioningFAQs/

People don't take in to account the amount of energy required to cool a home from 87 degrees. It requires running the AC for hours on end as opposed to maintaining a lower temperature.

i had mine on 83 and got home about 15 mins ago...i lowered it to 78 and it is already off. i think there are numerous factors to consider such as how well your house is insulated, what air volume the furnace moves, is your house in the sun, attic temperature, etc.

My apartment is pretty small but it only takes about 5-10 minutes to cool from 84 (the temp I normally get from leaving the air conditioning off) to about 79 which I find comfortable. It really depends how big your home is.

i had mine on 83 and got home about 15 mins ago...i lowered it to 78 and it is already off. i think there are numerous factors to consider such as how well your house is insulated, what air volume the furnace moves, is your house in the sun, attic temperature, etc.

No, you're just nuts for being comfortable at 78, lol.

My AC is set at 68 right now. But then again, I can't stand being hot or warm even. Even in the winter, I prefer being cold with a blanket than having the heat running.

No, you're just nuts for being comfortable at 78, lol.

My AC is set at 68 right now. But then again, I can't stand being hot or warm even. Even in the winter, I prefer being cold with a blanket than having the heat running.

it depends....i'm lying under the ceiling fan currently and am just fine....i can't have it too cold because i have arthritis in a knee and will wake up in pain. 68 is way too cold for me...76 would probably be the coldest. last night i had it on 78 and was using a blanket. now in my car, i have it cold.

in the winter, i have it cold in here. 65 or so but i wear sweatshirts, etc. anything above 70 and i'll have a bleeding nose due to dryness.

i have some friends that come over and both always tell me it is freezing in here. they like it at 80 which is too hot to me.

My apartment is pretty small but it only takes about 5-10 minutes to cool from 84 (the temp I normally get from leaving the air conditioning off) to about 79 which I find comfortable. It really depends how big your home is.
The size of your home shouldn't really come into play. If you have a small house, you should have a small unit. If you have a big house, a big unit. If the unit is too big for the house then the unit won't run long enough to get all the humidity out of the air. If the unit is too small then it won't get all the heat out.
1800 square feet 1 story1959 year builtPacific Gas and Electric (PG&E)7/19/07-8/16/07 Total Bill 52.44--gas 18.88--electric 32.92Previous month 57.36No AChighest bill in the past 12 months 140.00
You don't live in the same climate. It doesn't count.

2200 sf

Reliant

It will be interesting to see what next month's bill is - this one is from 6/21 to 7/23, and since July was unseasonably cool this year due to all the rain, the bill's not really representative of an average July in Houston. OTOH, 1572 kWh were used this billing period as opposed to 1944 the same period a year ago; about a week into last year's corresponding billing period, I replaced the 18-year-old HVAC system with a new, much more efficient one and had new insulation blown into the attic. It wasn't uncommon for us to get $400+ bills in the summer before then with the old system set at 75-76 degrees - now, we keep the new system set at a steady 77, as anything lower is almost uncomfortably cold. Also had a new roof installed two years ago, with new ridge vents where there previously weren't any and radiant barrier decking replacing the original wood shingles underneath the old composite ones. After sealing off all the exterior doors with new weatherstripping earlier this year, the biggest remaining energy efficiency issues are the original windows, but it's probably going to be quite some time before the budget will allow us to tackle those.

You don't live in the same climate. It doesn't count.

What do you mean it doesn't count? Do you mean I am forbidden from posting information from my last electric bill? I guess I didn't realize this was some kind of contest. If think it doesn't count, you simply should have ignored it.

What do you mean it doesn't count? Do you mean I am forbidden from posting information from my last electric bill? I guess I didn't realize this was some kind of contest. If think it doesn't count, you simply should have ignored it.

:lol: This seems to be a more Houston area electric rates thread but feel free to rub salt in our wounds. 60 bucks :lol:;)

The whole point of the thread was to compare what people are paying for electricity. Comparing what somebody in SF pays against what someone in Houston pays is a worthless comparison....rather a simple concept which you appear to be unable to grasp.

People don't take in to account the amount of energy required to cool a home from 87 degrees. It requires running the AC for hours on end as opposed to maintaining a lower temperature.

Like Jax, I turn my system off during the day and flip it back on when I come home. But I only set it at 81 degrees. It cools reasonably quickly. A couple months back, I tried leaving it on, testing the apparent rumor that it takes more energy to cool it down all at once than it does to maintain a constant temperature. My electricity use more than doubled.

Sevfiv pointed out that humidity can be bad for books over the long haul. This is true, but I don't own many valuable books, so it isn't really an issue. If I did and I lived in a larger home (with an appropriately-sized AC unit), I'd just invest in a small dehumidifier for whichever room had the bookshelves and still turn off my AC during the day.

The whole point of the thread was to compare what people are paying for electricity. Comparing what somebody in SF pays against what someone in Houston pays is a worthless comparison....rather a simple concept which you appear to be unable to grasp.

I grasp the rather simple concept, but chose to post what I pay for electricity. If the data I posted are extraneous, then you and others are free to ignore what I've posted and not use it for comparison purposes, which is also a rather a simple that you appear unable to grasp.

:lol: This seems to be a more Houston area electric rates thread but feel free to rub salt in our wounds. 60 bucks :lol:;)

Thanks, Marty. At least you were able to see (unlike some other folks) that I might have been gloating a bit by posting my electric rates. I don't get upset when Houston folks point out that Texas has no state income tax or how much less expensive their housing prices are compared to those in the SF Bay Area. 60 bucks is still cheap as I am a bit on the frugal side. Most of my neighbors who live in comparable houses have bills closer to 80.00 during this same period.

Thanks, Marty. At least you were able to see (unlike some other folks) that I might have been gloating a bit by posting my electric rates. I don't get upset when Houston folks point out that Texas has no state income tax or how much less expensive their housing prices are compared to those in the SF Bay Area. 60 bucks is still cheap as I am a bit on the frugal side. Most of my neighbors who live in comparable houses have bills closer to 80.00 during this same period.

A Californian gloating about low electricity prices is about as ridiculous as someone gloating about how little they spend on groceries when they eat out every night. You're still paying for it--just from of a different budget item. It also means that more of what you consume is susceptible to incompetence or malice.

Archived