Your Electricity Bill

flipper

green mountain seems to have cost about the same as when i had txu (which i had terrible terrible problems with).

i never had anyone bother me about signing up, but i have seen them around half price books in the village - but i just enrolled online.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) 1500sqft

2) 1920

3) ~$300

4) Reliant (ugh)

This old brick duplex is on the ground floor, with 5 window units, 3 which are usually on all day because of a nanny and the little one at home. I'd say it never gets lower than about 80-85 during the heat of the day.. the temp just about breaks even.

3 weeks and we go to a renovated 1930s house in the Heights. New insulation everywhere and new windows. I'm so looking forward to moving.

Another figure that would have been good to mention is your kwh usage for that bill. Also... do the bill values listed include add-ons to the the base energy usage charge? I've been comparing electricty costs with a friend in California and his bills are ridiculous for the amount he uses. I'm cooling about 1900 sq ft with my thermostat kept at 79. The average daily high temp for this period (to Aug. 3) was 99. Low average was about 79. The usage period was for 30 days (another relevant figure, since it varies). My energy charge was $185 for 1249 kwh, but a "Base Customer Charge" and Sales Tax added another $8 for a total of $193. I am in Central Texas and have TXU. My house was built in 1978.

Looking forward to my next bill, since our high temps have been, and continue to be, 100+.

Guest Sebastian De La Ghetto

1. 1600 sq ft

2. Built in 2006

3. $132

4. Dynowatt 14.5 cents

Keep at 80 all the time. Never feels warm. Run celing fan at night on occasion.

Looking forward to my next bill, since our high temps have been, and continue to be, 100+.

Yeah...high temps are just great. Not only does the house gain more heat because its hotter outside, but the efficiency of the compressor declines as the ambient temperature goes up because it is working against a higher head pressure.

Just got the new bill today.

3200 sq/ft Satterwhite Log Home (2 story w/heated pool)

800 gallon Caldera Spa (101 degrees always)

Built House in 1999 (Satterwhite Spruce Logs) Metal Roof

This Months Bill: $371.81

Usage 3197 @ $0.1162/kWh

Keep Thermostat on 70 @ all times Ceiling fans always on.

We like it cold and don't mind paying for it.

Dual Units Upstairs/downstairs

Dual 4 ton Lennox heat pumps

SEER 14

Mid-South Synergy Coop

286797726gHOPcL_fs_op_800x533.jpg

Can someone tell me if it is better to jack your A/C up to 84/85 during the day and make it cool back down to 77/78 when you get home from work ~OR~ raise it to only 81/82 during the day so it doesn't have to work as hard getting back to 77/78 when you get home?

I'm trying to figure out the best efficiency. If I should raise it to 90, then I will. I just don't want to run it too hard and negate my savings when it has to cool down in the evening. What is the "breakeven" point?

2500 sq ft, 2 story, 1 A/C unit

That would be $0.1162/kWh

That's cheap! IIRC mine was $.148/kWh which would have been $473 for the same amount of power.

Inverted the equation in my head didn't I? What a DFM

Yeah I don't complain much about my bill, as cold as we keep it in the house, and with all the exterior lighting and pool, spa, etc. could be a lot worse. I thought Mid-South was a COOP, but it's not, our phone (Consolidated COOP) is a COOP no the power company. Mid-South is just cheap.

Thanks for straighting out my calculation FUBAR

1.) 2100 sqft.

2.) Built in 1978

3.) $253

Average billing, so I am guessing it would be a little over $300 a month regular. I like it cold, and my cpu is always on and my kids tv is playing dvds constantly. I figure I could get it down to $100 a month, without any convienences. Without a refrigerator though, a pork chop might make you sick.

Inverted the equation in my head didn't I? What a DFM

Yeah I don't complain much about my bill, as cold as we keep it in the house, and with all the exterior lighting and pool, spa, etc. could be a lot worse. I thought Mid-South was a COOP, but it's not, our phone (Consolidated COOP) is a COOP no the power company. Mid-South is just cheap.

Thanks for straighting out my calculation FUBAR

dang! never heard of Mid-South and I work in the industry! That certainly IS cheap! If it is a REP, I'm switching!!!

1. 2,250

2. 12 years

3. $450*

4. TXU

* Swimming pool (pump & cleaner)

Entergy ( we have no choice in the woodlands)

Katiedid - be glad you don't have choice. You still live in a regulated market. Had you lived in the unregulated market, your bill would've been $700-$900.

1360 sf

2.5 years

$164 (versus $134 last summer)

Reliant, but switching to Commerce.

Before they switched out my 45 year old meter, it used to get stuck. I had bills as low as $10.43. :lol:

From October to April (7 months), my total electric bill was $89.98. The new meter spins like a top, though. :(

I mentioned in a previous post on this thread that a friend of mine, who lives in the Los Angeles area, was upset with his high energy costs. He sent me a copy of his last bill which I have posted below.

Looks like you would have to be a Cal Tech grad to understand it. Glad I live in Texas.

EnergyBillCal.jpg

• 1 year later...

1950 sqft

built in 1964

$330 for 2755kwh

Stream Energy

$0.119 (their current rate for a 1 year fixed rate is $0.1249 - http://order.igniteinc.biz for rate comparison.)

I keep the AC here at a MINIMUM of 72, and it is often below 70 to 66 or 68. Additionally I have a fridge/freeze and another freezer in the garage that run all the time as well as five computers that run all the time and four TVs (two large that suck up a pretty good bit of juice).

Archived