HAIF - Houston's original social media

Houston Radio Stations

Those scary stories might have been Mystery Theater, hosted by EG Marshall. They were still making these from 1974 to 1982

Wow man! You nipped it right on the bud! Mystery Theater was what I used to listen to. Man those stories were scary!

I could not remember the name of that program. Thanks Poppahop for taking down memory road!

Does the shadow know if there are any current story-telling type radio programs currently?

I'm sure there are. You just have to really look for it. "Prairie Home Companion" comes to mind. The BBC, available online, sometimes runs new radio shows.

Does KTRH still run "When Radio Was" late Saturday nights? That was always fun to listen to.

I'm sure there are. You just have to really look for it. "Prairie Home Companion" comes to mind. The BBC, available online, sometimes runs new radio shows.

Does KTRH still run "When Radio Was" late Saturday nights? That was always fun to listen to.

The best way to listen to the BBC is through their podcasts. I get BBC on satellite and shortwave, but you really only get a slice of their total output that way. Since I've subscribed to series like From Our Own Correspondent and Documentary Archives, I get way more news and information than I would have thought possible.

Seems to me you're the one who needs to chill. You're the one who said you still have stickers promoting Moby and Matthews on your car, but let's put that aside. I was just kidding, and it's not worth arguing about.

Let's be serious for a moment. I have known Matthews for a very long time, and I can tell you he has always been a self absorbed jerk with an over-inflated opinion of himself. I have to say I was not completely surprised when I read about his troubles in Sugarland.

I would be interested in getting your thoughts on where Matthews' life is now going to take him. I have zero sympathy for pedophiles, NONE, but it saddens me to observe that here is a guy in his sixties, who lost his career in the radio business when he got in trouble. The judge gave him probation and a chance to get his act together, but he blew that and now he's probably going to prison.

I have no idea how much time he'll do, but when he gets out he'll never get another job in radio or any part of the broadcasting business. His life is taking a very dark turn, and unless he has income or resources I don't know about, it's going to be very hard for him to make a living. I must say it appears to me that his life is probably over. I'm saying this because of what happened to a guy who was a living legend in Houston radio until his sad demise a few years ago.

Richard Dobbyn was the most creative, talented and funny radio genius this town has ever seen. He was also the most self-centered, self-absorbed, irresponsible, outrageous, racist, and amoral person in local radio history. He thought the world revolved around him, and he did and said whatever pleased him at the moment, with no regard for whether it was right or wrong. He got away with it for a long time because he was Richard Dobbyn.

He's the guy who, after a major riot at Texas Southern University in the late sixties, said on the air at KIKK that "the city needs to send some steamrollers over there and just blacktop Wheeler Street". He promoted altering KIKK's popular bumper sticker by razoring the letter "I" out of the logo, which left the letters "KKK", and which was used to adorn the bumpers of a lot of redneck pickup trucks.

He created KILT 20-20 News back in the early 60s, until Manager Dickie Rosenfeld got tired of his crap and fired him. Dobbyn then took that same news format to KIKK, and it made a lot of money for KIKK until KIKK's owner, Leroy Gloger, also got tired of his crap and fired him.

KILT and KIKK were the high points of Dobbyn's career, and after that he floated around Houston area radio for years, going downhill from job to job because he was also a famous drunk. A few years ago in the early 90s, he got a job working nights at KNUZ, probably with help from his old friend Arch Yancy, who worked with him at several stations years ago.

One night in the late 90s, Dobbyn fell in his apartment and hit his head on something. He was nearly dead by the time someone found him, and he was in the hospital for months. He ended up with brain damage, and when he got out of the hospital he lost the job and his apartment kicked him out because he had no money. It's believed that he also had a stroke, but whatever, the great Richard Dobbyn ended practically living on the streets. He finally died in September of 1999, and it just doesn't get any sadder than that.

Trust me, it's really true that nobody knows you when you're down and out, but no matter what he's done, I sincerely hope John Matthews doesn't end up the same way.

Did you know Matthews personally?

I remember he had a talk show on Sunday nights on 97 Rock in the early 1980s that was issues oriented. And I have to say, yes he did come off as a know-it-all jerk.

There was this one topic about English in America and what its status should be. Interestingly enough, he had some KKK honcho or white supremacist as a guest. One caller factually explained that English is not the official language of America. (That's a fact. English is the dominant one but not official) But Matthews kept overriding and insisting that it was. ("Yes it is, yes it is" before cutting off the caller.)

Then another time, there was the (historical) draft-vs-drinking age when the reactionary blowhard Matthews said that the two were different. The way it came from his mouth was like a "that's it and that's the way it is because I said so" kind of thing.

Well, I believe that if a young man can learn to pick up a gun and kill people (or learn to) then why shouldn't he be able to get himself a cheap pisswater six pack at eighteen years of age?

During the 80's, I used to listen to 97Rock with Moby & Matthews in the morning. Was it KSSR or KSRR?

KLOL 101 was always good in the evenings. I still have a lighter somewhere with 97Rock on it. It's probably not worth anything. I still have a 97Rock sticker on my guitar case.

In the 70's KRBE was a rock-n-roll station. I remember listening to Don McClean's "Bye, Bye Miss American Pie." They played a lot of Jackson Brown, Elton John, ABBA, Alice Cooper, Eagles, Joe Cocker, Fleetwood Mac, Elvis, KC & the Sunshine Band, David Bowie, The Doobies, KISS, etc. Those were the days!

Peace Man!

On REO Speedwagon's Good Trouble album and it would have to be the LP on the back of the cover, there is a picture of the band sitting on top of guitar cases and one of them has an old KLOL sticker on it.

Did you know Matthews personally?

No I didn't know him personally, but he and I were acquainted because we often came into contact with each other back in the late 70s when he was PIO and spokesguy for LifeFlight at Hermann Hospital.

He was always friendly and helpful, in those days, but later when he got into talk radio, it seemed to me that he succumbed to a malady that afflicts most of the people who go into that field.

Sooner or later, people who do talk radio start believing they really are "important" people, whose opinions trump everybody else's. Working for the single most obnoxious radio personality in Houston history -- Dan Patrick -- John Matthews fit right in.

Edited by FilioScotia
During 2000-2001, Houston had a station that played any type of music. Country, Rock, Pop, etc. Is that station still around?

Yes. It's KPFT - 90.1 the Pacifica station. It's called "block programming". It sets aside time periods for every kind of music. The result: KPFT struggles to stay on the air as a listener funded station.

No commercial radio station does block programming because it doesn't work. A station just can't be all things to all people and have any hope of making money. It's been proven time and again.

During 2000-2001, Houston had a station that played any type of music. Country, Rock, Pop, etc. Is that station still around?

or maybe he means the Jack format? Sort of like shuffle radio.

I can't ever remember a houston station doing it, but i might have missed it.

Dallas has one

http://www.jackontheweb.com/

quote from an us news & wr article

The format--no DJ s and a wide selection of songs played with no regard for smooth transitions (think Quiet Riot's "Cum On Feel the Noize" next to Billy Joel's "Piano Man" )--has been likened to the shuffle feature on portable MP3 players. Jack made its U.S. debut last year and is now in 23 different cities, from Dallas to New York ( www.jack.fm for stations where it airs).

the article says jack made its debut on '04 but i thought i remember hearing about it farther back.

KPFT still has shows dedicated to one type of music. I regularly listen to the bluegrass zone and the blues brunch with nuri nuri on the weekends. I know they have an irish music show and some other ones too.

but they don't do the "texas" music (i think that's what they called it) like they did for a year or two, where they played a lot of local stuff and eliminated a lot of national programming from pacifica. that may be what filio is referring to.

Edited by gnu
  • 2 weeks later...
or maybe he means the Jack format?

I thought it was the pioneer to the "Jack Format." It would have been in 2000 or 2001 and I seem to remember the DJ's stating that our nation's radio stations and the national association of broadcasters were listening in on that radio station's format. I thought it was the first radio station to break the already-established formats.

It had been an established radio station (country, I think) prior to being converted to this new format.

Anyone remember?

Edited by Gilder
Wasn't Paul Berlin on KNUZ? He was on at least one other station, but I seem to remember him from KNUZ.

Does the name Jim Wood ring a bell? I think he was one of Houston's first "shock jocks", and he got fired from KILT for singing a little ditty about "Flies between my thighs".

I remember, will never forget, Two-in-a-row-on-the-Jim-Wood-show! Is that what happened to him?! He disappeared overnight! It was very mysterious. We had to shift to Buddy McGregor on KNUZ.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

August 7 1983

Radio Station List: Houston TV guide

FM Stations

KSBJ ( 88.1 ) Christian music

KUHF ( 88.7 ) Jazz music and NPR affiliate

KJIC (89.3 ) Southern and country gospel music

KPFT ( 90.1 ) NPR affiliate

KTSU ( 90.9 ) Texas Southern University station

KACC ( 91.3 ) Alvin Community College station

KTRU ( 91.7 ) Rice University radio station

KKBQ (92.5 ) Contemporary hit radio-Top 40 ( Simulcast with KKBQ-AM )

KRLY ( 93.7 ) Contemporary music

KLEF ( 94.5 ) Classical music

KIKK ( 95.7 ) Country music

KSRR ( 96.5 ) Album-rock music ABC affiliate

KFMK ( 97.9 ) Adult contemporary music-oldies

KODA ( 99.1 ) Beautiful music station

KILT ( 100.3 ) Country music

KLOL ( 101.1 ) Album-rock music

KMJQ ( 102.1 ) Rhythm-jazz music

KQUE ( 102.9 ) Easy listing-oldies-big band

KRBE ( 104.1 ) Adult contemporary music

KFRD ( 104.9 ) Country music

KHCB ( 105.7 ) Christian radio station

KJOJ ( 106.9 ) Christian radio station

KGOL ( 107.3 ) Christian radio station

Edited by Marty

August 7 1983

AM radio list

KILT ( 610 ) Country music

KIKK ( 650 ) Country music

KTRH ( 740 ) All news-talk station: CBS-MBS affiliate

KKBQ ( 790 ) Top-40 music

KEYH ( 850 ) Contemporary Spanish music

KYST ( 920 ) All Beatles Music Mutual affiliate

KPRC ( 950 ) News-talk NBC affiliate

KFRD ( 980 ) Country-Mexican-Czech-Polish music station

KLAT ( 1010 ) Spainish music

KRBE ( 1070 ) Contemporary music ABC affiliate

KACO ( 1090 ) Country-top 40 music MBS affiliate

KTEK ( 1110 ) Country music

KNUZ ( 1230 ) Vintage rock and roll-oldies: ABC affiliate

KXYZ ( 1320 ) Contemperary Spanish music

KBUK (1360 ) Country music

KCOH ( 1430 ) Soul music; NBN affiliate

KLVL ( 1480 ) Spanish music

KYOK ( 1590 ) Rhythm and blues-jazz

July 1969

Radio station list

AM stations

KILT 610

KIKK 650

KTRH 740 CBS

KTHT 790

KPRC 950 NBC

KFRD 980

KODA 1010 MBS

KENR 1070

KNUZ 1230

KXYZ 1320 ABC

KWBA 1360

KCOH 1430

KLVL 1480

KYOK 1590

FM stations

KLVL 92.5

KBNO 93.7

KLEF 94.5

KIKK 95.7

KXYZ 96.5

KFMK 98.0

KODA 99.1

KILT 100.3

KTRH 101.1

KMSC 102.1

KQUE 102.9

KRBE 104.1

KFRD 104.9

KHCB 105.7

KNRO 106.9

Edited by Marty
How many of these can you post? I had started a thread on this once, but didn't get far. I like to see the changes in call letters.

That's all i got. I have several newspapers from the moon landing in 1969 , A 1983 TV Guide and a Northeast News from July 7 1981

Here's what I have, although it's in a different format than yours and isn't for one particular year. (Note: I don't have all the radio stations, just some of the more popular ones.)

1920s Radio Stations

920 AM – KPRC (since 1925)

1930s Radio Stations

920 AM – KPRC

1290 AM – KTRH (since 1930)

1440 AM – KXYZ (since 1930)

1940s Radio Stations – AM

740 AM – KTRH (switched frequencies mid 1940s)

790 AM – KTHT (switched frequencies 1948)

920 AM – KPRC (to mid 1940s)

950 AM – KPRC (switched frequencies mid 1940s)

1230 AM – KTHT (1944 to 1948)

1230 AM – KNUZ (from 1948)

1290 AM – KTRH (to mid 1940s)

1320 AM – KXYZ (switched frequencies mid 1940s)

1440 AM – KXYZ (to mid 1940s)

1940s Radio Stations – FM

98.5 FM -- KOPY

101.1 FM – KTRH

102.9 FM – KPRC

1950s Radio Stations – AM

610 AM – KLEE

610 AM – KLBS (to 1957)

610 AM – KILT (from 1957)

650 AM – KRCT

740 AM – KTRH

790 AM – KTHT

950 AM – KPRC

1230 AM – KNUZ

1320 AM – KXYZ

1950s Radio Stations – FM

98.5 FM – KFMK (from 1957)

101.1 FM – KTRH

102.9 FM – KPRC (to 1958)

102.9 FM – KHGM (from 1958)

104.1 FM – KRBE (from 1958)

Edited by Firebird65
  • 1 month later...

Back in '82, I remember hearing my friends talk about the morning zoo w/ John Lander on 79Q (790AM) so after I got my own transistor AM radio for Christmas, the first day I listen to it, guess what, they are starting on FM on 93Q (92.9 FM) I did not get a portable FM radio right away though. I listened to John Lander, Mr Leonard and the rest of them for the next 7 years until he was fired in 1990. I guess it worked out ok though I as I was in full fledged adolescence by then and I switched to Stevens & Pruett until I left for college.

I looked up John Lander on the web, he's on a mix station in Boston, and he looks really old now.

Back in '82, I remember hearing my friends talk about the morning zoo w/ John Lander on 79Q (790AM) so after I got my own transistor AM radio for Christmas, the first day I listen to it, guess what, they are starting on FM on 93Q (92.9 FM) I did not get a portable FM radio right away though. I listened to John Lander, Mr Leonard and the rest of them for the next 7 years until he was fired in 1990. I guess it worked out ok though I as I was in full fledged adolescence by then and I switched to Stevens & Pruett until I left for college.

I looked up John Lander on the web, he's on a mix station in Boston, and he looks really old now.

1982 was right about when I switched from being an AM listener to being an FM listener. It was because I got my first computer, and the interference was awful. I think people sometimes forget how long AM hung on as a dominant media force.

I know I'm resurecting and old thread but no one mentioned KAUM. They had the oval multicolored stickers with their call letters in the middle.

And lets not forget late night Dr. Demento although I can't remember what station he was on.

joe

Man, I haven't thought of Dr Demento in years! That was a funny show! :D

I see your Avitar is Holder's Pest Control. My brother was in Pack 321 Boy Scouts with Dale Holder's (owner) son. They used to live in a large house on the corner of Wateka Drive and Troulon Drive in Sharpstown. Did you know that Dale Holder has a tatoo of that "roach" image on his arm?

I see your Avitar is Holder's Pest Control. My brother was in Pack 321 Boy Scouts with Dale Holder's (owner) son. They used to live in a large house on the corner of Wateka Drive and Troulon Drive in Sharpstown. Did you know that Dale Holder has a tatoo of that "roach" image on his arm?

Well, I'm hoping Bubba will return someday in all his neon glory. :)

I went to school with Leo Holder, who owned Holder's at one time. Is Dale his son?

-----------

Edit: I just confirmed that Dale is one of Leo's four children.

Edited by 57Tbird
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
KYOK "1590 Raps"

Back in the 1970s there was a radio station in Houston that played a comedy show called Dr. Demento. A part of the show was a guy reciting: "Her name was Bertha. Bertha Butt. Head of the Butt Sisters."

Does anyone remember that radio station and/or that record?

Back in the 1970s there was a radio station in Houston that played a comedy show called Dr. Demento. A part of the show was a guy reciting: "Her name was Bertha. Bertha Butt. Head of the Butt Sisters."

Does anyone remember that radio station and/or that record?

I remember somthing like that. Now I'm just guessing but it could have been either "I don't wanna bump with no big fat woman" or The You can have her, I don't want her, she's to fat for me Polka.

joe

• 3 weeks later...
I remember somthing like that. Now I'm just guessing but it could have been either "I don't wanna bump with no big fat woman" or The You can have her, I don't want her, she's to fat for me Polka.

joe

Here is the song:

<H3 class=post-title>Her Name was Bertha, Bertha Butt, one of the Butt sisters </H3>a blast from the past. More specifically, a song from 1972 or so:

"Troglodyte"

(As recorded by Jimmy Castor Bunch)

JIMMY CASTOR BUNCH

What we're gonna do right here is go back

Way back into time

When the only people that existed were Troglodytes

Cave men, cave woman, Neadrothol, Troglodytes

Imagine the average cave man at home

Listening to his stereo

Sometimes he'd get up and dance

He'd move something like this "dance dance"

He'd get tired of dancing alone and look in the mirror