Humble Tower Apartments

guess

Anyone stay in these apartments. How are they. I noticed online that there are only 82 units. Does anyone know anything about the occupancy?

Thanks.

According to O'Connor & Associates as of 7/28, there was one unit available. They're often very very wrong, though.

I don't know about the occupancy -

I know the schools it is zoned to (Houston ISD):

* Gregory-Lincoln Education Center (K-8 campus, but Humble Tower is zoned for K-5 only!) - http://ms.houstonisd.org/GregoryLincoln/

* E.O. Smith Education Center (1-8 campus, but Humble Tower is zoned for 6-8 only!) - http://ms.houstonisd.org/smithms/

* Davis High School - http://hs.houstonisd.org/DavisHS/

Profiles:

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Gregor...onCenter_ES.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Smith_EO_1thru8.pdf

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Davis_HS.pdf

Yeah, I know not too many people who go loft shopping have kids - But this may be useful for the few who do, or for the few who wind up with kids through child placement, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually considered living there last year. I had lived at Post Rice for 3 years and was exploring my options. It is pretty nice for a lease property. I like that the building is preserved so well and that there are conveniences with the hotel next door. It also has a safe garage which is important. The building and units are tastefully done, but very "safe" as in tans, cremes, whites, etc. Humble Tower definately has a New York feel vs. many other downtown apartments.

• 5 months later...
Anyone stay in these apartments. How are they. I noticed online that there are only 82 units. Does anyone know anything about the occupancy?

Thanks.

In the spirit of Better Late than Never, I figured I'd go ahead and reply to this. I live in these apartments, and I am a very satifisfied customer. I've been here since April 2004, and I'm about to renew my lease for another year. I work two blocks away, so what I'm paying in a little bit higher rent is more than offset by not having to pay for parking, and only having to fill my gas tank once every couple of months. :)

This is also the quietest apartment I've ever lived in. But in order to get that peace and quiet I had to sacrifice what some might consider the coolest aspect of living in a downtown highrise: I have no view of the city. There are exterior apartments with city views (and street and rail noise), and then there are interior apartments with views of an empty hollow core (and some Marriot hotel rooms on the other side). Here, let's go the satellite view and you'll see what I mean:

Empty hollow core of despair

I'm about midway down on the right. Wait, hold on, and I'll go lean out the window and wave...

Okay I'm back. So anyway, I don't hear the rail, and when hurricanes threaten us, I'm probably in the safest home in the entire city.

I'm in an ~700 sq. ft, 1-bedroom unit, and I've been paying $1040 since I moved in (it's about to go up to $1060 on this renewal, though). That gets me:

• A nice, quiet, secure apartment walking distance to work
  • One reserved parking space in the garage
  • Washer & dryer in the unit
  • Walking distance to Warehouse Live, Meridian, Verizon theater, Toyota center, Minute Maid park
  • Rail access to Continental Club and Reliant park (rail tokens not included)

The not-so-great stuff:

• The walk to or from some of the more distant music venues *can* be kinda scary sometimes
  • My vision of how cool it would be to hang out at the hotel bar was waaay off the mark
  • If you give too much money to the neighborhood panhandlers, they might be waiting outside to greet you in the morning

Official (albeit dull) website

Has anyone tried the newish Saigon Express in this building?

I've tried it, and I wasn't that impressed. I ordered some sort of garlic tofu thingy, because I'm a big fan of garlic, and I'm pretty picky about the quality of meats (seems like most places are serving up chunks of fat & gristle these days). When I got my lunch back to my desk I discovered that they had given me something with beef instead of tofu and little-to-no noticeable garlic. And sure enough, the beef was mostly chunks of fat.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Anyone know the current occupancy? I'm considering moving into this building; though with only 82 units and prime DT real estate I've heard it can be tough to get in.

Also, are satellites allowed (DishNetwork Direct TV)? If so, is there a fee to "rent' out the space on the roof? I've read horror stories about Comcast so I would rather stay away from them if I can.

Any utilities included?

Are the walls well insulated for sound, or is it pretty easy to hear what your neighbors are watching?

Are the elevators always working?

Thanks.

I know this is a year later, but for future reference for others who may be interested... I called today for 1BR or Studio availability 3 months in advance, and they said they had no units available. She sounded like she didn't think that any would be available in the near future. A 2BR is going to open up a couple of months, though.

If they're fully occupied so often, why don't they raise the rents?

I know this is a year later, but for future reference for others who may be interested... I called today for 1BR or Studio availability 3 months in advance, and they said they had no units available. She sounded like she didn't think that any would be available in the near future. A 2BR is going to open up a couple of months, though.

If they're fully occupied so often, why don't they raise the rents?

Yeah, units don't open up too often at that property. When I was looking around last year, there wasn't anything available either. For whatever reason they continue to advertise in just about all the apartment locator publications.

Archived