METRORail University Line

ricco67

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe you could tell us what the route would be between Main and Kirby if you want it on Westpark?

No one else seems to have a clue.

There is no Westpark between Main & Kirby? I think Westpark deadends/starts at Kirby, thereby the nearest crosstreet would be something to the dischord of Bissonett.

I hope you were not being sarcastic.

Richmond would certainly be a good idea but why take it through the already high end retail (that does quite well now itself) and not take it straight down Richmond (whose retail & businesses, I believe, has suffered the past few years) to Hillcroft. Why accomodate Mass transit to people who can afford automobiles? Why not use the proposed light rail to renew urban areas such as exemplified by the existing rail line.

There is no Westpark between Main & Kirby? I think Westpark deadends/starts at Kirby, thereby the nearest crosstreet would be something to the dischord of Bissonett.

I hope you were not being sarcastic.

Richmond would certainly be a good idea but why take it through the already high end retail (that does quite well now itself) and not take it straight down Richmond (whose retail & businesses, I believe, has suffered the past few years) to Hillcroft. Why accomodate Mass transit to people who can afford automobiles? Why not use the proposed light rail to renew urban areas such as exemplified by the existing rail line.

To be fair, the Westpark corridor runs to Greenbriar, though it runs through an automobile dealer's parking lot! Imagine taking the light rail to purchase your SUV. :lol:

It also runs behind several businesses, including a Hooters. However, it eventually deadends at US 59, in an area where there is not even a feeder road.

Speaking of sarcasm, I hope you were not serious about running rail down Bissonnett, Jim. Can you imagine the uproar if THAT were suggested? As to why light rail should run where people can afford autos? The point is to get them out of their autos. Whether fair or not, rail bias dictates that the car driving public will get on a train, where they disdain busses. Also, METRO is trying to place the tracks where they garner the most riders, thereby justifying the building of more rail lines. The UH/TSU to Galleria line has by far the highest potential ridership...provided track is laid where people will USE it, as opposed to people's backyards, as Westpark would be.

BTW, while driving down Richmond today, I did not see that many trees in the median. Certainly, METRO, as part of the rebuild of Richmond, could and should line the street with trees. Further, I don't recall Mr. Culberson protecting very many trees along Katy Freeway when he helped expand it by a few hundred feet. Why the sudden conversion to Johnny Appleseed?

I think the reason is to avoid running the line right through the middle of a neighorhood. Afton Oaks (I think) starts at Weslayan and runs west all the way to I-610.

So isn't the Richmond line only inside the loop? Metro's corridor from the old Southern Pacific rail is primarily outter loop. It may even cut off around Post Oak unless they own that strip that disappears behind Chick-Fil-A and CVS. It would quickly hit a dead end at US 59 where there are historic buildings and residential areas. I don't get the issue here unless everyone thinks it should follow Richmond all the way to where? BW8? Highway 6?

To be fair, the Westpark corridor runs to Greenbriar, though it runs through an automobile dealer's parking lot! Imagine taking the light rail to purchase your SUV. :lol:

It also runs behind several businesses, including a Hooters. However, it eventually deadends at US 59, in an area where there is not even a feeder road.

Speaking of sarcasm, I hope you were not serious about running rail down Bissonnett, Jim. Can you imagine the uproar if THAT were suggested? As to why light rail should run where people can afford autos? The point is to get them out of their autos. Whether fair or not, rail bias dictates that the car driving public will get on a train, where they disdain busses. Also, METRO is trying to place the tracks where they garner the most riders, thereby justifying the building of more rail lines. The UH/TSU to Galleria line has by far the highest potential ridership...provided track is laid where people will USE it, as opposed to people's backyards, as Westpark would be.

BTW, while driving down Richmond today, I did not see that many trees in the median. Certainly, METRO, as part of the rebuild of Richmond, could and should line the street with trees. Further, I don't recall Mr. Culberson protecting very many trees along Katy Freeway when he helped expand it by a few hundred feet. Why the sudden conversion to Johnny Appleseed?

Red:

Westpark ends at Kirby. If there is a "Westpark corridor" behind Hooter's...wait!!! How would YOU know what's behind Hooter's???? :lol:

Anyway, I just got back from my doctor's office on Greenbriar there is no street dumping into Greenbriar at that location. [if it did run that far, I'd be concerned with my neice's safety as she lives in a complex north of North Blvd between Kirby and Greenbriar.]

But let's say it did run that far: where to next?

[Johnny Appleseed :lol: good one ;) ]

To infinite_jim:

Me? Sarcastic? Never. ;) Bissonet is another deal-killer. Talk about cutting down beautiful old trees to run a rail line down a mostly residential portion of the street...anyway, you get my drift.

B)

nmain, you ignorant slut!

:lol:

I know Westpark Road ends at Kirby, but the railroad ROW continues on for a couple of blocks, until it angles into US 59. A quick look at Google Earth will show what I am talking about. It is basically a gravel driveway.

BTW, is anyone signing up to speak at METRO at 1:00 PM Thursday? I can't due to trial, but I sure wish someone could make some of the points that we are bringing up.

METRO purchased the 100' railroad right-of-way that runs parallel to Westpark from Southern Pacific many years ago. They sold 50' to HCTRA so that the Westpark Toll Road could be built but they retain the other 50' for future rail service. Obviously, it would be ideal for METRO, at some point, to run the train down property they already own. The question is, how and where do you do it?

The Westpark ROW technically continues east of Shepherd, running concurrently with a Centerpoint easment just to the south of US 59, but it narrows to essentially nothing before it reaches Main Street. This, obviously, poses a massive engineering problem in that there's really no room to put the rail line. Squeezing the rail line into the sliver of space on the south edge of the Southwest Freeway would require some sort of stacking or tunneling method which is prohibitively expensive. Elevation is not an option because of the power lines and the arched bridges along 59, and running it within 59 itself (i.e. taking a lane or two of traffic out and replacing it with rail) isn't desirable either.

And then there's the ridership issue. Richmond is where the people are. Westpark is not. Especially in the area between the Spur and Shepherd, where UST, the Menil complex, scores of apartment complexes, etc. are. Not to mention all the commercial and office development between Shepherd and Greenway Plaza. Therefore, it just makes sense to run the rail from Main Street down Richmond to at least Greenway Plaza before making a turn across 59 and settling into the Westpark ROW.

The problem is that Richmond is only four lanes (two in each direction) between Main and Kirby. I drive that section of Richmond on an almost-daily basis; it's congested enough as it is and taking away two lanes of traffic to make room for the rail is simply not an option. Either the train is built above grade along this stretch (it needs to be elevated over Spur 527 anyway) or right-of-way will have to be taken along either side of the street to make room for the tracks.

There are apparently two main centers of opposition along Richmond: the Afton Oaks community west of Weslayan and a handful of business owners east of Shepherd. I'm not sure the Afton Oaks people have anything to worry about; METRO learned their lesson in 1989-91 when they tried to run the monorail through this affluent community. It's all but certain that this neighborhood will be avoided, most likely by the rail switching from Richmond to Westpark at Timmons or Weslayan. (I think a northward jog to Westheimer is a *very* remote possibility.)

Of bigger concern, in my opinion, is the opposition east of Shepherd. I can understand whatever concerns they have about construction impacts, possible loss of access, possible taking of right-of-way, and aesthetic impacts. Elevating the rail will mean cutting down the trees in the median and building a huge structure above the street. This will have significant aesthetic impacts. Keeping the train at-grade by widening Richmond will require parking lots and buildings to be taken, and it will likely involve some intersection closures as well.

However, we won't know the full extent of these impacts, and what possible mitigation measures would be necessary to minimize these impacts, until they are studied in detail. This is why Martha Wong is, well, wrong to demand that Richmond be taken off the table now before it has even been closely studied. What needs to occur here is careful analysis and planning (which usually occurs in the Preliminary Engineering / Environmental Impact Statement process) with lots of community involvement, not some cynical, politically-driven end run around the planning process.

METRO purchased the 100' railroad right-of-way that runs parallel to Westpark from Southern Pacific many years ago. They sold 50' to HCTRA so that the Westpark Toll Road could be built but they retain the other 50' for future rail service. Obviously, it would be ideal for METRO, at some point, to run the train down property they already own. The question is, how and where do you do it?

I thought this was going to be used for commuter rail, not light rail.

The Westpark ROW technically continues east of Shepherd, running concurrently with a Centerpoint easment just to the south of US 59, but it narrows to essentially nothing before it reaches Main Street. This, obviously, poses a massive engineering problem in that there's really no room to put the rail line. Squeezing the rail line into the sliver of space on the south edge of the Southwest Freeway would require some sort of stacking or tunneling method which is prohibitively expensive. Elevation is not an option because of the power lines and the arched bridges along 59, and running it within 59 itself (i.e. taking a lane or two of traffic out and replacing it with rail) isn't desirable either.

And then there's the ridership issue. Richmond is where the people are. Westpark is not. Especially in the area between the Spur and Shepherd, where UST, the Menil complex, scores of apartment complexes, etc. are. Not to mention all the commercial and office development between Shepherd and Greenway Plaza. Therefore, it just makes sense to run the rail from Main Street down Richmond to at least Greenway Plaza before making a turn across 59 and settling into the Westpark ROW.

The problem is that Richmond is only four lanes (two in each direction) between Main and Kirby. I drive that section of Richmond on an almost-daily basis; it's congested enough as it is and taking away two lanes of traffic to make room for the rail is simply not an option. Either the train is built above grade along this stretch (it needs to be elevated over Spur 527 anyway) or right-of-way will have to be taken along either side of the street to make room for the tracks.

There are apparently two main centers of opposition along Richmond: the Afton Oaks community west of Weslayan and a handful of business owners east of Shepherd. I'm not sure the Afton Oaks people have anything to worry about; METRO learned their lesson in 1989-91 when they tried to run the monorail through this affluent community. It's all but certain that this neighborhood will be avoided, most likely by the rail switching from Richmond to Westpark at Timmons or Weslayan. (I think a northward jog to Westheimer is a *very* remote possibility.)

Of bigger concern, in my opinion, is the opposition east of Shepherd. I can understand whatever concerns they have about construction impacts, possible loss of access, possible taking of right-of-way, and aesthetic impacts. Elevating the rail will mean cutting down the trees in the median and building a huge structure above the street. This will have significant aesthetic impacts. Keeping the train at-grade by widening Richmond will require parking lots and buildings to be taken, and it will likely involve some intersection closures as well.

However, we won't know the full extent of these impacts, and what possible mitigation measures would be necessary to minimize these impacts, until they are studied in detail. This is why Martha Wong is, well, wrong to demand that Richmond be taken off the table now before it has even been closely studied. What needs to occur here is careful analysis and planning (which usually occurs in the Preliminary Engineering / Environmental Impact Statement process) with lots of community involvement, not some cynical, politically-driven end run around the planning process.

Good post.

METRO missed their opportunity years ago for not planning how to use their aquired ROW on 59 between Kirby and Main. As usual no one cooperated with anyone-ie METRO w/ TXDOT w/COH, etc...You gave all the reasons a rail route on 59 isn't going to happen: the bridges; the power lines; the removal of freeway lanes. In addition, you would have the quaranteed opposition from Southhampton and Broad Acres.

Everyone recognizes the problem of widening Richmond between Main and Kirby to accomodate the line. As far as elevating the line over 527, I don't think that is neccesary-check out Fannin under Holcomb. in addition you state:

It's all but certain that this neighborhood will be avoided, most likely by the rail switching from Richmond to Westpark at Timmons or Weslayan. (I think a northward jog to Westheimer is a *very* remote possibility.)

Many think jogging north to Westheimer on Weslyan is a very real possibility considering the potential for ridership. Riders catching this line from UH, TSU, Rice, St. Thomas, TMC, Dowtown and Midtown most likely are going to want to go SOMEPLACE...not to the Edloe stop on Westpark to visit the Kroger store.

You will never make everyone happy so at some point the bullet needs to be bitten. To hold this important east-west line hostage to people like Wong and Culberson who have offered no alternatives except removing Richmond from any discussion would be a travesty.

This is why I believe a concerted effort will be needed to offset the underhanded attempts of Wong and Culberson to undermine this entire project. Until they can come up with something more substansial than "I am writing to add my support for the Richmond Area Residents and Businesses for Rail, and urge that the Houston METRO Board of Directors oppose extending light rail down Richmond Avenue or Westheimer."

http://ctchouston.org/blogs/robin/ we should hold their feet to the fire and make them justify their plan-not the other way around.

B)

Thanks for the info...and that's a nice blog you've got, too. :)

Thanks! I stumbled onto this thread and was very impressed with the discussion -- we need more of this, and less of the knee-jerk stuff I tend to see in transit discussions.

The discussion of what to do west of Weslayan is a good one. I'll have to do a post soon to explain my reasoning, but by no means do I think that jogging south to Westpark is the one right answer. Connections to the Post Oak area are critical for the success of this line. I'm thinking the right answer is through service onto the Uptown line (earlier post).

I've got a new post up now with a link to FAQs. I'd love to hear comments on hat I've left out and what I could say better or more fully: The Missing FAQ

Good post.

You gave all the reasons a rail route on 59 isn't going to happen: the bridges; the power lines; the removal of freeway lanes. In addition, you would have the quaranteed opposition from Southhampton and Broad Acres.

Exactly! Those neighborhoods are just as organized and politically-connected as Afton Oaks.

Everyone recognizes the problem of widening Richmond between Main and Kirby to accomodate the line. As far as elevating the line over 527, I don't think that is neccesary-check out Fannin under Holcomb.
Well, the line's probably going to have to be elevated over Main Street anyway, and I don't think there's enough room to go from a +1 elevation to grade level between Main and the Spur.
Many think jogging north to Westheimer on Weslyan is a very real possibility considering the potential for ridership. Riders catching this line from UH, TSU, Rice, St. Thomas, TMC, Dowtown and Midtown most likely are going to want to go SOMEPLACE...not to the Edloe stop on Westpark to visit the Kroger store.

Hey! That's *my* Kroger store! (Well, one of them, at least. I go there when I have a big grocery list, but for small or essential items I usually go to the "Combat Kroger" behind the U of H campus.)

Anyway, I don't disagree with you. Westheimer does make sense for many reasons. I just see a lot of technical issues with a Richmond - Weslayan - Westheimer alignment, not the least of which is the need to negotiate two 90 degree turns, elevate over the UP line while running within Westheimer, and interface with the Uptown/Galleria BRT/LRT line at Post Oak. Plus the simple fact that Westpark is METRO's right-of-way, and they want to get into it at some point (lest HCTRA comes back and tries to buy the remaining 50' to widen the Westpark Toll Road).

The point is, all of these possible alignments need to be studied and discussed. This maneuver by Wong and Culberson needs to be called for what it is: a sham.

Exactly! Those neighborhoods are just as organized and politically-connected as Afton Oaks.

Well, the line's probably going to have to be elevated over Main Street anyway, and I don't think there's enough room to go from a +1 elevation to grade level between Main and the Spur.

Hey! That's *my* Kroger store! (Well, one of them, at least. I go there when I have a big grocery list, but for small or essential items I usually go to the "Combat Kroger" behind the U of H campus.)

Anyway, I don't disagree with you. Westheimer does make sense for many reasons. I just see a lot of technical issues with a Richmond - Weslayan - Westheimer alignment, not the least of which is the need to negotiate two 90 degree turns, elevate over the UP line while running within Westheimer, and interface with the Uptown/Galleria BRT/LRT line at Post Oak. Plus the simple fact that Westpark is METRO's right-of-way, and they want to get into it at some point (lest HCTRA comes back and tries to buy the remaining 50' to widen the Westpark Toll Road).

The point is, all of these possible alignments need to be studied and discussed. This maneuver by Wong and Culberson needs to be called for what it is: a sham.

This line will intersect the Red Line at Main and Richmond-across from Sears. I imagine that would be a pretty major interchange and feasable to do it all at street level as every train will stop there. That would eliminate and elevated section at 527. [i hate elevated lines!]

We addressed the 2 90 degree turns earlier in this thread. I suggested the new owners of the HISD property and Central Market donate a slice of their property as well. I would imagine there would be stops at both intersections so land devoted to the stations and turns would only enhance the HISD property as well as Central Market.

Once again I agree with your statements regarding The Gang of Two. They definatly need to be called out on their underhanded way of dealing with this.

B)

I am still ROFLMFAO ! Somebody get my portable defibulator STAT ! ! ! :lol:

TJ:

Get some rest, brother. -_-

B)

Thanks! I stumbled onto this thread and was very impressed with the discussion -- we need more of this, and less of the knee-jerk stuff I tend to see in transit discussions.

That's why I like this board, too. There's actual, thoughtful, technical discussion of transit here, not the typical METRO-bashing that seems to occur elsewhere.

Good job with the FAQ, too. It addresses a lot of the accusations that rail opponents have attempted to use over the years.

This line will intersect the Red Line at Main and Richmond-across from Sears. I imagine that would be a pretty major interchange and feasable to do it all at street level as every train will stop there. That would eliminate and elevated section at 527.

METRO and STV engineers have already said that they cannot put a rail junction at street level. It would kill the Richmond / Wheeler intersection. Also, nowhere in the United States do two actual light rail systems cross perpendiculalrly at grade. The operational issues involved are enormous.

We addressed the 2 90 degree turns earlier in this thread. I suggested the new owners of the HISD property and Central Market donate a slice of their property as well.

Makes sense. I guess it all depends on the amount of property that will be required. The point is, it all needs to be STUDIED! By saying "you can't put rail on Richmond or Westheimer," Wong and Culberson are trying to keep all these issues from even being identified.

This line seems to be in a close proximity to Lamar High School (It's not next door, but it's close), so maybe a transfer station should be picked and a bus line can go between the transfer station and the River Oaks/Lamar Stop.

Im all for extending the light rail lines. Having traveled the world and still travel different points in the world on a nearly weekly basis, its a shame to see my hometown-Houston-behind smaller and less comparable cities when it comes to mass transit! I for one am no fan of buses but i would take a train in a heart beat! A world class city like Houston needs a world class transit system. Lightrail can open the door to many opportunities the city has yet to experience. Given the upward direction in fuel cost, it would be smart to plan and break ground on the futureof our city with the light rail lines! Having a viable mass transit system is paramount to future growth and development.

METRO and STV engineers have already said that they cannot put a rail junction at street level. It would kill the Richmond / Wheeler intersection. Also, nowhere in the United States do two actual light rail systems cross perpendiculalrly at grade. The operational issues involved are enormous.

Metro currently owns the entire block bounded by Wheeler, Main, 59 and Fannin. The current station is no where near the intersection. I can definatly see both lines crossing there.

BTW: I saw a group of hysterical Afton Oaks residents on 11News @ 6 tonight badgering a METRO official-maybe it was a practice session for tomorrow's meeting.

B)

OK, I just found this on the METRO website. METRO tells the public where it stands regarding the University Line, and they also give a timetable.

http://www.ridemetro.org/news/releases/pr51.asp

Also, there are public meetings coming up for the North and Southeast Lines, as well as some newsletters.

http://www.ridemetro.org/Metro_Solutions/meetings.asp

http://www.ridemetro.org/Metro_Solutions/corridors.asp

And yet Portland is planning to build several more of these in the middle of their downtown with their next LRT extension. With their streetcar line already crossing the existing LRT line downtown. Going from the current 4 downtown intersections with an at-grade rail crossing to 12, while also adding auto lanes to the currently bus only transit mall the new line will run down. Yeah, must be such a traffic nightmare that they decided to go from 4 to 12. I can see why similarly gridded midtown Houston can't handle a single one of these intersections.

Good thing that the experienced light-rail pioneers at Metro know better those urban and transit novices in Portland.

dtnroutes.jpg

Perhaps they can claim a streetcar exemption in the fine print?

portland19.JPG

So I guess what appears to be an even more complicated at grade junction and crossing of the Chicago El doesn't exist?

transit_chicago_el_crossing.jpg

And quick, someone alert the Germans that this type of junction won't work. Metro says so.

pict0305060560m.jpg

Such an honest and well-informed staff Metro has there. They'd never spout any BS pulled out of their arse simply to justify whatever they want to do.

Guest Plastic

It would be a very good idea if they don't do it like they did Main.

The only reason i'd pick Richmond is cause it has a sepereated road surface with tree in the middle. Those could be cut down and the rail be put in.

But I'd far rather a line down Westheimer. This is the main street of Houston. A monorail would work better honestly. Just install the rail supports on the sidewalks nobody's using and you've got yourself a railline. RUn it from Downtown to Westoaks on HWY6. Too many people use that route and htere's too little bus service.

They definetlyshouldn't runit on the ground and they definetly shouldn't take away a few lanes of the street.

And yet Portland is planning to build several more of these in the middle of their downtown with their next LRT extension. With their streetcar line already crossing the existing LRT line downtown. Going from the current 4 downtown intersections with an at-grade rail crossing to 12, while also adding auto lanes to the currently bus only transit mall the new line will run down. Yeah, must be such a traffic nightmare that they decided to go from 4 to 12. I can see why similarly gridded midtown Houston can't handle a single one of these intersections.

Good thing that the experienced light-rail pioneers at Metro know better those urban and transit novices in Portland.

dtnroutes.jpg

Such an honest and well-informed staff Metro has there. They'd never spout any BS pulled out of their arse simply to justify whatever they want to do.

I think I'm smellin' a trouble maker!!!

^_^

B)

Forgive me for going off on a slight tangent, but here's an example of the brilliant minds at Metro.

Yesterday I had to consult the schedule for the #8 South Main bus. It lists times of arrival for southbound buses at San Jacinto & Prairie, San Jacinto & Jefferson, San Jacinto & Elgin, etc.

One problem: San Jacinto is a northbound one-way street. At no point does a southbound South Main bus go down San Jacinto. It travels down Fannin, which is one-way southbound.

Metro needs to improve its accountability at every level.

I hope that they are still considering the line along Weslayan to Westhiemer. Sure it would be costly but it would bring riders to the front door of Houston's largest shopping center and business district.

Since HISD is selling Will Rogers Elem. and its administration buildings a turn on to Weslayan from Richmond could be accomplished with minimal expense at this point. Traveling down Weslayan may require either a lane width reduction or a slight increase in right of way. Along Westhiemer would be tricky but could be done.

Central Market has a nice wide open parking lot. With some concessions, a section of this lot can be acquired and the line placed from the median of Weslayan to the south side of Westhiemer. A station could be placed either here or in Highland Village. Highland Village may have to give up the symmetry of it landscaping but since there are numerous eateries nearby, a short train ride is all that is neccesary to bring Greenway Plaza workers here. (Plus, some Galleria bound shoppers may stop here instead of continuing down Westhiemer but dont tell the Galleria that.) Past Highland Village it gets expensive.

The UP tracks must be either negotiated by going under or over. Going over creates a aestheticly unpleasing situation and a steep grade to clear the tracks with the minimum 20 ft. vertical clearance. Going under is probably more expensive, but could be tied into an undercrossing for westhiemer as well. Only a 15ft. vertical clearance (maybe less) would be required. From here the line would go underground. Im not sure which side of the street the major utility lines are on but I wouldn't think that in this relatively new area that they would be more than 20 feet below street level. Also this strech of Westhiemer is narrow and busy. A surface line would just cause congestion. The line would pass a few apartment complexes and small businesses, which are planned to be converted into a mixed use development of some kind. A station may be placed in this area.

If any place in Houston shouldn't have any at grade crossings with a rail line, it would be the intersections at 610 and Post Oak. Since were already underground we dont have to worry about a 40 foot high flyover at 610. At the intersection of Westhiemer/Post Oak would be the terminus of the University line. This subterrainian station would probably include the Post Oak line, either also underground above the University Line or elevated above Post Oak. Again, no at-grade crossing at Post Oak/Westhiemer. A direct walking connection with the Galleria would ensure very high passenger volumes.

There are two, possibly three, stations along this alignment. From Weslayan along Richmond or Westhiemer, there is probably only one, the University line terminus. Even if the University line was projected to extend along westpark to say Hillcroft TC. there is nothing stopping the post oak line from doing the same.

All in all, ridership volume and return on investment are key here. This alignment provides the most choice of destinations and highest potential for development. At least, in my opinion.

Put it down Richmond. Westheimer would be a nightmare. Where would all that traffic be re-routed while construction is underway?

We're trying to build a system to handle Houston's transportation needs for the next 20-50-75-100 years. If it gets us to the best system for the long term, the pain endured during construction will be worth it, and it would be foolish in the extreme to decline to build the best system because we can't handle a couple years of construction.

Archived