White Linen In The Heights

Does anybody know how things went during the White Linen in the Heights. Our tenant has the African art gallery, Valerie's Gallerie, on Studewood. Just wondering what the turnout was like. The promotion for it seemed good and the trolley idea was cool. We are up here in NE Texas and this forum is my way of staying in touch with the old home town.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anybody know how things went during the White Linen in the Heights. Our tenant has the African art gallery, Valerie's Gallerie, on Studewood. Just wondering what the turnout was like. The promotion for it seemed good and the trolley idea was cool. We are up here in NE Texas and this forum is my way of staying in touch with the old home town.

I went. Pretty much stuck to 19th street. The turnout was the best I've seen for an event like this. I think having it on Saturday, instead of Friday, helped a lot with the turnout.

I had a great time and the turnout was incredible, IMO. Spent most of my time on 19th but also visited a few other places. I would think this thing only has a great future with even more people and more places participating.

Guest Malvoe

Yeah, I was surprised/impressed by the turnout.

FYI, this is modeled after White Linen Night in New Orleans, which is (was?) a huge deal in the warehouse district. Lots of art galleries down there. I'm glad to see parts of Houston trying to be more...hip? arty? I don't know, something. Regardless, it was a good time.

We had a great time. We started at Buchannan's with the thought of using the "trolly" to take us to 19th street and beyond. We waitied 30 minutes and never had a trolly. Ended up driving over to 19th and parking by Harold's. Ended the evening at The Boom Boom Room. Pretty cool place. I don't know why they don't close 19th for an evening like White Linen Nights or the event they hold in December on 19th street. Would make things much more manageable and pleasant.

We had a girl night out there. It was fun and the turnout good. We too started at Buchanan's, then caught a trolley to olala on Studewood, then took a cab to 19th instead of waiting for a trolley. Ended the night with a trolley to Berryhills for some grub. Bought some cool items, we're ready for the next one.

The trolleys seemed to disappear as the night went on. I wonder if they underestimated the crowd and didn't have enough.

• 1 year later...

Rather than start a new thread.. I thought I'd dig this old one up..

Any guesstimations on participation numbers for this year? Last year I think it was about 20K.. but since my family and about 10 friends who didn't do it last year are doing it this year.. perhaps it will grow to 20,014.. :)

I've heard that suggestion also - maybe they will do it this year? I guess it would mess with the trolley thing they have going, but I'm sure it's not so difficult to have those be the only motor traffic. All you need are 2 cops at each closed end, and cones on the cross streets. So hard.

Anyway, it's going to be 5000 degrees outside this weekend, so I'm not super eager to get out there.

I've heard that suggestion also - maybe they will do it this year? I guess it would mess with the trolley thing they have going, but I'm sure it's not so difficult to have those be the only motor traffic. All you need are 2 cops at each closed end, and cones on the cross streets. So hard.

Anyway, it's going to be 5000 degrees outside this weekend, so I'm not super eager to get out there.

If it's too hot the Christmas thing they do is pretty good also. I did see an unfortunate notice on one of the 19th storefronts. It had to do with the Heights being dry and merchants being discouraged from even giving away alcohol. I hope they don't follow this, seems kind of silly to me. A dry district only means you can't sell alcohol and has nothing to do with consuming or giving it away. Am I right on this?

If it's too hot the Christmas thing they do is pretty good also. I did see an unfortunate notice on one of the 19th storefronts. It had to do with the Heights being dry and merchants being discouraged from even giving away alcohol. I hope they don't follow this, seems kind of silly to me. A dry district only means you can't sell alcohol and has nothing to do with consuming or giving it away. Am I right on this?

YES!... POWER TO THE PEOPLE!! ha ha But seriously... I've never been but wanted to check it out... I can hopefully get out of work around 8 or so tomorrow to catch it before it's over.

I'm sure thats a city lawyer doing a little CYA. With sponsors like St Arnolds I anticipate many frosty beverages to be handed out...

I'm sure thats a city lawyer doing a little CYA. With sponsors like St Arnolds I anticipate many frosty beverages to be handed out...

Ahhhhh, maybe that's it. They want you to consume the St. Arny's instead of the free drinks some of the merchants provided. However I'm pretty sure the alcohol loosened up some wallets and increased the sales. Isn't that the main point of this thing?

I whine about the heat, but we will still probably go check it out. We were shopping around at 1st Saturday last month and they were giving margaritas away somewhere. I'm not sure what good the dry area does anyway...doesn't Shade have a liquor license? I see a bar through the window. Street parties require alcohol, they better not try to ticket people.

I've been to the past 3 Christmas things (lights in the Heights if that's what you mean), and honestly this past year I was sweating my junk off. The year before was great, about 45 degrees I think. That is perfect weather. None of the extreme/10 UV warning nonsense.

I whine about the heat, but we will still probably go check it out. We were shopping around at 1st Saturday last month and they were giving margaritas away somewhere. I'm not sure what good the dry area does anyway...doesn't Shade have a liquor license? I see a bar through the window. Street parties require alcohol, they better not try to ticket people.

I've been to the past 3 Christmas things (lights in the Heights if that's what you mean), and honestly this past year I was sweating my junk off. The year before was great, about 45 degrees I think. That is perfect weather. None of the extreme/10 UV warning nonsense.

Lights in the Heights is good but 19th St. does a Christmas thing similar to Nights in White Linen also.

I didn't know it was an official Christmas thing, I figured it was just December's 1st Saturday action when we went by there last year. I guess there was more going on at night than usual. We'll definitely hit both this year, and White Linen if I don't get heat stroke doing the yard tomorrow morning.

Are there any special rules/ordinances allowing walking around the streets with alcoholic beverages during these events? I'm from Louisiana where basically anything is an excuse to forget about those laws, wouldn't want to end up with a ticket here. More likely one of my nutty friends would be guilty, but just wondering.

I didn't know it was an official Christmas thing, I figured it was just December's 1st Saturday action when we went by there last year. I guess there was more going on at night than usual. We'll definitely hit both this year, and White Linen if I don't get heat stroke doing the yard tomorrow morning.

Are there any special rules/ordinances allowing walking around the streets with alcoholic beverages during these events? I'm from Louisiana where basically anything is an excuse to forget about those laws, wouldn't want to end up with a ticket here. More likely one of my nutty friends would be guilty, but just wondering.

There has never been an issue in the past w/alcoholic bevs

It'll be my first so I don't know of any outdoor drink ordinance.. i guess we'll see..

I'll be in white.. since it will be around 100 out, i might just pre-soak!

As to the Christmas thing.. isn't there something like a Dickens' in the Heights or something? maybe I''m just making that up..

Archived