The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

Don't believe Federated when they say they will keep regional names. I was in Atlanta when the company purchased the Rich's chain, stores that had a long and storied history in both the city and the Southeast. When the purchase was announced Federated announced that the Rich's stores would all be renamed Rich's-Macy's. The flagship Rich's in Atlanta's Lenox Square (which is a truly wonderfully designed and laid out space) took the double moniker while the mall's original Macy's space, which was considerably smaller and less desirable, was closed and completely renovated, then reopened as a Bloomingdale's. Shortly thereafter, surprise surprise, Federated unceremoniously dropped the Rich's name like a carton of expired milk with no apology.

When I was searching the Simon.com website for the galleria, under Restaurants it lists "BiCE - Coming soon!" Is this the same BiCE restaurant from NYC?

Does anyone have any info/perspective on this? I, for one, have never been to this restaurant before. AND, the BiCE website does not list any restaurants planned for Houston.

Also, do we know what's happening with the Lord & Taylor space yet? Definitively?

Steven.

So it looks like ours will open a little before dallas's. Am I allowed to put this article? Its not the chron. Oh well.

Bice's Ristorante Gets Trophy Opening With 10-Year Deal

By Connie Gore

Last updated: August 9, 2005 12:52pm

"Click says the Ruggeris will open a Bice's in Houston about a month before doors swing open at the Crescent."

• 2 weeks later...

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzz_log/?fr=fp-buzz-more

1. Houston Galleria -- Houston, Texas (5)

2. Crossgates Mall -- Albany, New York (28)

3. Memorial City Mall -- Houston, Texas (17)

4. Franklin Mills Mall -- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (25)

5. Mall of America -- Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota (4)

6. Garden State Plaza Mall -- New York, New York (15)

7. Galleria Dallas -- Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas (22)

8. Hanes Mall -- Winston-Salem, North Carolina (21)

9. Westfield Shoppingtown -- Chicago, Illinois (20)

10. Sawgrass Mills -- Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2)

Clicking through the links back to the source for size rankings that Yahoo! was using, it looks like our Galleria is number two in the country for number of stores, with only the Mall of America in Minneapolis beating us in that category.

• 3 weeks later...
tech_segway.jpg

(3/03/04) — At first sight of the Segway Human Transporter, most onlookers' reactions range from from amazement to confusion. That's because the sight of the "It" or "Ginger" is still unusual to most of the public, but the inventor and enthusiasts behind the Segway want to change that.

Houston businessman Wayne Kinsey has a long history with the transporter. He bid over $100,000 to charity for the bragging rights of being the first to own one.

"It's a simpler, easier way to get around," Kinsey said. "To us it's like the first car, first airplane, first computer - it's the type of technology that's a first of its kind. A lot of people were thinking, 'what's wrong with this guy, is he nuts?' No one would spend that kind of money."

Kinsey loved the 'It' so much that he's decided to sell 'It' himself. He's picked the Houston Galleria to be the first Segway retail dealer in America. Although with price tags a lot cheaper than what he originally paid, at around $4000 for the two different sized models, they're still not pocket change.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/technology/030...segwayshop.html

I know I've always wonder where in The Galleria this store was. I remember when Galleria 4 was almost completed reading somewhere that The Segway store was opening among other stores but I've never seen it. I even looked it up in their website and they have a Post Oak address and a number but I've never called it, The Galleria's website isn't that much of a help because there's some stores they don't add in theire Store Directory like Nordstrom and Bernini. Maybe it is in The Galleria but I've NEVER seen it........

lord & taylor's going to become 3 large restaraunts, and a border's books.

macy's is next to go, it's going to become a highrise residential building.

Where did you hear the first thing? I thought it was going to be more than four places. Though a large bookstore would be nice. I worry though about B. Dalton's though in Galleria III. That was always my hangout when I was younger and would get dragged to the galleria by girl friends.

lord & taylor's going to become 3 large restaraunts, and a border's books.

macy's is next to go, it's going to become a highrise residential building.

I dought that there only building 3 restaurants and a Borders but then again its too small to built more stores. I was hopeing Macy's wouldn't become a residential building insted it should become stores that's the only thing that would help Galleria 3 because I dought a residential building would help........

I dought that there only building 3 restaurants and a Borders but then again its too small to built more stores. I was hopeing Macy's wouldn't become a residential building insted it should become stores that's the only thing that would help Galleria 3 because I dought a residential building would help........

Couldn't it be both. Retail on the bottom two floors with access from the street. Then have like a 40 story tower on top of it. The main thing Galleria III needs is easier access.

i asked the pm about it, it's his project as far as mep, and that's what he told me. i trust he knows what he's talking about, but these things to change last minute.

seems everything i'm assigned is due yesterday, ya know?

Another bookstore always draws a crowd - not to mention Borders is usually quite large (in there two story locations), 3 rest. well I guess we can count on them being rather large. I think perhaps if there were two other stores then that'd be great but, if there are to many tennants in this re-use then the old question arises --- access --- heaven forbid they think that more parking is needed.

So a Borders and Barnes&Noble basically right across the street from each other? I pity the B Daltons. Is it gonna be like Borders taking up the 2nd floor of Lord & Taylor and the restaurants on the bottom floor? More questions, the residential going in at the Macy's, will it be built of top of the Macy's, using the Macy's as a shell, with access to the Galleria, or is the whole building be torn down? And then what's gonna happen to Galleria 3 afterwards? I say turn it into a movie theater or something, I dunno. Or if they leave the Galleria 3 there, maybe put in stuff that the people in the residential part would use, like a cafe, or a Crunch type gym place.