The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

what coulda been...

http://www.5plusdesign.com/projects/?p=0409&f=ca

The Houston Galleria, an upscale, mixed-use urban development centrally located in the Uptown District of Houston, is the largest mall in Texas and the fifth largest in the US. In developing a new image for the landmark Galleria, 5+design created two viable schemes that push beyond traditional solutions to transform this typical shopping center into a dynamic mixed-use destination. Introducing a strong sense of connection to the overall district combined with progressive and cutting-edge architecture, the design creates a place that is distinctive and exciting for the locals and tourists.

img0b.jpg

img1b.jpg

img2b.jpg

img3b.jpg

img4b.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i guess that i find it really surprising that there is no planned enclosed walkway, as per customers to and from the houston galleria. wouldn't this be most feasible, since it is located directly across the street.

That would look cool, but it would also eliminate pedestrian traffic. And we need more of that! Plus the Galleria doesn't own the land that the Hyatts are being built on.

I was in the Galleria today and if anyplace needs a walkway it is from Dillard's to Neimans. Speaking of (rambling) why is the Dillard's even still there? That whole place could be redeveloped!

That would look cool, but it would also eliminate pedestrian traffic. And we need more of that! Plus the Galleria doesn't own the land that the Hyatts are being built on.

I was in the Galleria today and if anyplace needs a walkway it is from Dillard's to Neimans. Speaking of (rambling) why is the Dillard's even still there? That whole place could be redeveloped!

i concur, regarding the need for more pedestrian traffic upon the immediate galleria vicinity.  however, i am all for eliminating any form of pedestrian accidents as well.  not to mention, expensive wet shopping bags during inclement weather conditions.  please trust me my pal, this hotel shall seem like a very long walk during one of houston's famous thunderstorms.  in regards to dillards, i have been hereby stating for quite a number of years, that this particular edifice should be completely torn down and reconstructed elsewhere.  nonetheless, a few months ago, i read that this particular diillards, shall indeed be torn down at some point.  this shall be in lieu, as per new plan to reconstruct it as part of an anchor for a new galleria 5.  not at all certain if this is indeed the truth, but this is what i read.  trust me, my fingers are indeed crossed.

• Like 1

Simon doesn't want Dillard's, because they don't feel that Dillard's is high end enough. And, they don't want Hyatt competing with their Westins, under the same roof. It's Pretty Simple.

I seriously doubt that Simon doesn't want Dillard's as a tenant. It's a major department store that would be a anchor tenant. Also Dillard's and Macy's are about neck and neck as far as their rank in department store class, especially since Macy's purchased Foley's. Also every store in The Galleria is not high end there are plenty of lower end stores in The Galleria. I think the amount of lower end stores in The Galleria will only increase due to the new retail developments coming online like River Oaks District. It has already been stated that some of the higher end retailers are jumping ship for River Oaks District.

Dillard's owns that stores location. I hope they sell the land for redevelopment and become the anchor for a new Galleria extension like Monarch stated. Maybe Simon can purchase the property for another Galleria expansion. Simon is going to have to do what it takes to stay competitive.

• Like 2

Simon doesn't want Dillard's, because they don't feel that Dillard's is high end enough. And, they don't want Hyatt competing with their Westins, under the same roof. It's Pretty Simple.

I seriously doubt that Simon doesn't want Dillard's as a tenant. It's a major department store that would be a anchor tenant. Also Dillard's and Macy's are about neck and neck as far as their rank in department store class, especially since Macy's purchased Foley's. Also every store in The Galleria is not high end there are plenty of lower end stores in The Galleria. I think the amount of lower end stores in The Galleria will only increase due to the new retail developments coming online like River Oaks District. It has already been stated that some of the higher end retailers are jumping ship for River Oaks District.

Dillard's owns that stores location. I hope they sell the land for redevelopment and become the anchor for a new Galleria extension like Monarch stated. Maybe Simon can purchase the property for another Galleria expansion. Simon is going to have to do what it takes to stay competitive.

All that, Fortune, plus, at the risk of over-burdening the forum with facts, Simon does not own the Westin Hotels.

• Like 1

If Simon/Galleria wanted Dillard's, "under the roof", then why aren't they?  They have been sitting just across the street for Decades.  You don't really think that Dillard's is holding out or opposing the idea, do you?  It's been a ongoing discussion for a long time.  Houston19514, you probably are correct that Simon does not own the Westins...But, I they do own contracts with them and you can bet that there is something in there about not introducing any competing hotels to the property. 

If Simon/Galleria wanted Dillard's, "under the roof", then why aren't they?  They have been sitting just across the street for Decades.  You don't really think that Dillard's is holding out or opposing the idea, do you?  It's been a ongoing discussion for a long time.  Houston19514, you probably are correct that Simon does not own the Westins...But, I they do own contracts with them and you can bet that there is something in there about not introducing any competing hotels to the property. 

I have no idea whether Simon wants Dillards "under the roof" (and all indications are, neither do you).  But to say they don't want Dillards because they don't feel Dillards is high end enough is patently ridiculous.  The Galleria has plenty of stores that are at or below the level of Dillards.  Starting with Macy's and going down from there.  A mall that has a Payless Shoesource is not going to thumb its nose at Dillards for being insufficiently high-end.

Re:  the hotels;  Perhaps; although I think it's unlikely.  But this is all a silly academic discussion anyway.  The idea of building a skywalk to connect the new hotels to the Galleria is a horrible idea for myriad other reasons and I doubt that either Simon or the hotel developer would have much interest in spending the money to build it.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

I have no idea whether Simon wants Dillards "under the roof" (and all indications are, neither do you). But to say they don't want Dillards because they don't feel Dillards is high end enough is patently ridiculous. The Galleria has plenty of stores that are at or below the level of Dillards. Starting with Macy's and going down from there. A mall that has a Payless Shoesource is not going to thumb its nose at Dillards for being insufficiently high-end.

My point exactly.

• 1 month later...