The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

All I can find is a statement from Landry's saying it is expanding by leasing a new restaurant in Houston's Galleria - these are from articles about other locations closing, too... :huh:

The Rainforest Cafe at Oak Park Mall has closed its doors for good.

A Landry's Restaurant representative told KMBC that the restaurant closed Sunday night when its lease expired.

[...]

According to a spokeswoman with the mall, the restaurant seemed to be doing good business, and was a popular spot. However, the cafe ran the term of its lease and decided not to renew.

In a written statement, the company said, "We value our employees, their work experience and dedication to our company. Our employees are welcome to apply at other company-owned restaurants in the area. We are continuing the expansion of the Rainforest Cafe brand as we have signed a lease agreement with the Galleria Mall in Houston and are excited with an opening planned for Spring 2009."

http://www.kmbc.com/news/18414398/detail.h...&psp=news#-
Rainforest Caf

They should just build a TRex restaurant. Same concept and company but with Dinosaurs. They have one at Disney World. Real fun when the meteor strikes!

There seems to be some evidence indicating the meteor struck AFTER our dinosaur friends started dying out.

• Like 1

There was NEVER a Rainforest Cafe in the MarqE, the one opening is in the old Beniggans spot. I don't think its going to be as big as the one in Katy. I always wondered why The wasn't like a flagship Rainforest Cafe in Houston since its based there.

• Like 1

it was Surfers Paradise and that was a very small scale restaurant bar that wasnt great...

it was never a Rainforest Cafe...EVER

anyway...i will go to the Rainforest Cafe at the Galleria if they will promise to bring back the Bennigans Turkey O'toole!

man that thing was awesome

:P

What in the heck is a surfers paradise? Never heard of it... but then again this WAS a long time ago... maybe you're right

Hey I'd go to this new galleria place if they have the copper clover thing... :)

There was NEVER a Rainforest Cafe in the MarqE, the one opening is in the old Beniggans spot. I don't think its going to be as big as the one in Katy. I always wondered why The wasn't like a flagship Rainforest Cafe in Houston since its based there.

Probably because it's a gimmick.

• Like 1

It won't be the first one... There are at least 2 others, one of which is right here at Katy Mills Mall.

Edit: Just found a list of their locations. It appears that close to 1/2 of their approximately 37 locations are currently in malls.

I have only seen them in malls, but I personally think its over priced crappy food. I will just go upstairs to the cheese cake factory

Was that not a Rain Forest Cafe across from Cafe Adobe in the MarqE....Only reason I ask is the outside kind of looks like one of their places.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
RR had some tables and such outside... and that was on the outside corner. The RC (?) was on the INSIDE corner. Right across the walkway from Cafe Adobe. There was a waterfall, animatronic birds, and alligators or whatever. Even had the jungle flora and background noise... if it wasn't that then what was it?

I know exactly what you are talking about b/c we ate in the restaurant you are describing w/ friends probably 7-9 years ago. It was surfer/ tropical themed, but it was NOT a Rainforest Cafe. We also didn't ever go back and it's been gone now for at least 3-4 years if not more.

Dh and I first discovered RC in Vegas in 1999 as we were walking through the MGM Grand. We ate there and thought it was pretty good for a theme restaurant - comparing to Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood, etc type places. We have small kids now and live in Katy, so yes we do go to RC. We usually go once a year for ds's birthday as he loves it. The food is decent and the kids have fun - a fun place for a birthday dinner for our kids. We've been to the Galveston one once on a RAINY day to kill time since our plans changed due to the weather. It's about the same except for the ride addition.

Edited by soifan
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Looks like all the stores. Rainforest Cafe may open soon, and Club Lilly Lu is closed, but no one really cared for CLL at all*

*except for 8-year-old girls. IronTiger apologizes for offending you if you were said 8-year-old girl.

The place at Marq-E was Surfer's Paradise Bar and Grill. Definitely. Easy to confuse one cliche tropical restaurant with crummy food and silly themes, no worries. Same tackiness, for sure.

I've never "gotten" the hubbub about Rainforest, I've got a kid and even he wasn't into it all that much. Not sure why people are so protective of it, even my 4-year old would know to follow moonb007 over to Cheesecake Factory!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe it could go in the old Sharper Image, and provide a draw for Galleria III. Maybe.

I'll put that on the corner of fat chance and no ******* way. Galleria III still needs some serious renovation to make it more "connected" to the rest of the mall. I think I've been in Galleria III only once before, and it was by accident. I imagine their lease rates are a lot lower then the rest of the Galleria. But as usual, I could be wrong. Maybe H&M could be a big enough draw?

• 2 weeks later...

Their requirements for walk in foot traffic is not present in downtown Houston on a consistent basis.

Although a downtown location is desireable, they feel there was not enough "gravity" yet for the substanstial investment required.

I fear this will not happen for about 10 - 20 more years... :(

I can't believe that Fox Sports Grill closed! And no one mentioned it.

Everytime I walked by that place it was emtpy. It was located in a remote part of the galleria.

Price never really made those places of any interest, not when you can just go to a BW3, get food that is just as filling, and watch just as much sports, for way cheaper.

Maybe in an area of town that has an attraction of traveling business people, say, the Houston Pavilions. Or an area of town that caters towards people who think spending lots of money makes it better than the next place to watch the same football game, which would have been the Galleria, maybe not in the Galleria, uptown park may have been a more appropriate location, but then, I think when they opened, Champps was still over in the UP.