The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

I just don't see Sean John catching on in Houston.

What? Sean John is so Houston---like any other urban area, it will definately be a hit. Now if you were to say Dolce&Gabbana, now that is a harder sell to a conservative city like Houston.

Any news about the Carolina Herrera store? I know that the Galleria website has job postings for the brand, but I don't know anything further.

• Like 1

I dunno.  I think Houston has its own style, and not sure if he's it.

Then again, I have only seen the Sean Jean at Foley's and in GQ.

Yeah, and what they sell is the sportswear. It is kind of like Ralph Lauren, all you see is the cheap spotswear in stores like Foley's or Dillard's, but you don't get to see the apparel that can be compared to designers such as Gucci or Prada. The same can be said about Sean John, and I think this is what his new stores are more focused on.

• Like 1

2112, I think TreaderCRC meant compared to most other major American cities, Houston is indeed conservative. It's not the Most conservative, but definitely one of the most conservative. There are exceptions such as Dallas, Salt Lake City and Nashville, but overall Houston would be considered conservative when we are talking American cities.

2112, I think TreaderCRC meant compared to most other major American cities, Houston is indeed conservative. It's not the Most conservative, but definitely one of the most conservative. There are exceptions such as Dallas, Salt Lake City and Nashville, but overall Houston would be considered conservative when we are talking American cities.

I guess it's the "overall Houston would be considered conservative" I have a problem with; it just seems to proclaim the stereotype, whether its reall or not. Maybe it is. But there are so many ways to measure the idea.

I

OK. Its time I mentioned something I heard during the All-Star game. I was walking around Main Street during one of the big block parties, and I was next to a guy from who knows where. But what was interesting was his conversation on the phone to, I presume, a buddy of his somewhere not in Houston, because he was saying something like:

Anyways, I guess it depends on what you are talking about. I know that in the Hispanic community, when it comes to their party allegiance, it is largely liberal and consistently votes democratic. If we are talking about something as different as how women dress, then I would submit that Houston has some of the most awesome and liberal styles around: I remember on my last two trips to NYC, one in June and the other in July...I hardly saw any women wearing mini skirts, short dresses, and in general, hardly any highly arousing and revealing apparel. Maybe its because I am Hispanic and I am used to beautiful, non-pretentious Hispanic women wearing gorgeous sexy clothing and leaving only a little to the imagination. From this perspective, the New York women seemed snooty and conservatively dressed. But again, that

this is true.  i was at a wedding in a gallery off of n. main this summer.  the bride and groom were from new york.  the relatives of the groom wanted to know why there were so many prostitutes walking the streets here in houston.  they weren't trying to be funny, it was sadly/truly their perception of the way young women dress here to go out.  ;)   i was LMAO, and a bit embarrassed.

So they are not ashamed of being a woman and showing it. And I know most guys love it. So I dont understand what the problem is? It's kinda offensive when people that are not used to it, will just proclaim our women as prostitutes. Ive seen it several times also.

Its also cultural, I think. The Latin influence plays a big part, probably.

There's nothing wrong with it, unless your a nun or something I guess.

this is true.  i was at a wedding in a gallery off of n. main this summer.  the bride and groom were from new york.  the relatives of the groom wanted to know why there were so many prostitutes walking the streets here in houston.  they weren't trying to be funny, it was sadly/truly their perception of the way young women dress here to go out.  ;)   i was LMAO, and a bit embarrassed.

I'd have to agree with everyone, the women here are probibly the most attractive then some other cities. Maybe thats why were Strip Club Capital USA! (you can be proud and loud, or ashamed and discreet).

LA, NYC, Milan, Paris (etc) have always been known for there High-Fashion sencibility, but who really sees the clothes they wear on the run-way, when your doing about your everyday life?

Houston has many stores with "hip" clothing, or the lastest trends, but what is distinctivly Houston apperal? I think its just about everything. And the Galleria opening up new stores only throws more flavor (for lack of a better word) into the mix.

I'd have to agree with everyone, the women here are probibly the most attractive then some other cities. Maybe thats why were Strip Club Capital USA! (you can be proud and loud, or ashamed and discreet).

LA, NYC, Milan, Paris (etc) have always been known for there High-Fashion sencibility, but who really sees the clothes they wear on the run-way, when your doing about your everyday life?

Houston has many stores with "hip" clothing, or the lastest trends, but what is distinctivly Houston apperal? I think its just about everything. And the Galleria opening up new stores only throws more flavor (for lack of a better word) into the mix.

Wow, I didn't know that this thread would start such a discussion!

First, I would like to say that Sean Jean is divided between the cheap urban-style line and the newer, ridiculously more expensive couture line, so in that case, it will definately appeal to Houston residents, especially those shopping in the Galleiia and visitors as well.

Second, L.A. and New York have much better looking women, with an emphasis on L.A. Think about one thing, most of the most beautiful women (and men for that matter), if they know that this is a major quality in them, will seek out places where they can gain from this--whether it be to become actors, models, or entertainers, the place to do it is L.A. or NYC. If any of you have been to L.A., it is craiwling with lovelies like you have never seen. Houston doesn't compare--and I love Houston and know there is good looking people, but please, most are overwieght and don't dress well at all. For whatever its worth, a girl looks hotter in a pair of Seven Jeans and a Cavalli top than in Levi's and a Gap shirt. Statistically speaking, Houston has more discounted clothing stores than L.A. or New York, mainly because of demand.

In short, people in L.A. and NYC dress more fashionably and sophisticatedly than Houston (which I love), but does not mean that they dress hotter, which is another way to go. In time, Houston will be more fashion and aesthetically forward, but it is still young and coming into its own.

Lastly, Hispanis in all of Texas are increasingly REPUBLICAN, mostly voting for Bush in the last election (GO BUSH!!) and voting Republican more consistently in the last several decades. Further, in the Hisoanic Americans are more likely split when it comes to voting for the 2 parties---in Florida, the Cuban vote Rep., in CAlifornia, it is the Democrats who win, as well as NYC Hispanics, who vote Democratic. As for conservatism, Hispanics are overwhelmingly so, casting family values, marriege, and negative opinions on gay marriage as top priorities.

Sorry for the verbal vomit, thanks for reading!

TreaderCRC,

As a wise person once said, "New York is as much 'All in the Family' as it is 'Sex in the City'."

I think you're giving New York way too much credit. Sure, the beautiful people concentrate in cetain areas, but it's a pretty big place, with some pretty freak people, just like everywhere else.

And Puff Gun J Lo Daddy can hang it up. That couture won't fly in Houston, for many of the reasons you just listed.

Print It

articlepicMace.jpg

Didnt they just fix up the walls and stuff? They used to be solid half walls, and they replaced them with glass, I think...

I just don't understand putting the Fox Sport place in there . . . I don't know whether to blame the Galleria or the chain. Given that the Rainforest Cafe also opened and closed its Galleria location, I just have this feeling that the Galleria marketing crew goes in and frightens these marquis chains away from any more interesting part of town. BTW, they must seriously cover up the parking issues involved with the Galleria generally . . .

The Galleria is free to market itself however it wants, but I seriously doubt the Fox Sports Grill can be huge success in that location.

Rainforest cafe near the galleria? Where you getting your info? Galleria never had a rainforest cafe. The only three locations in texas is houston-katy mills mall, galveston island, tx, and dallas-grapevine mills. Besides, thats the best location is galleria cause it stays jumping, and crowded.

They are confusing Rain Forest Cafe with the late Planet Hollywood which was located in the Galleria. That awful place went out of business worldwide. It was not the Galleria'a fault.

By the way, I've never understood people's complaints about parking at the Galleria. I never have a problem parking there. It is surrounded by parking garages. There are dozens of entrances and exits from those garages. There are at least 5 places to valet park if that's your thing. Almost all of the parking is protected from the rain and the heat. And it's all free, except for valet. What's the problem.

• Like 1