The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

Is there really a need for a Bloomingdales? I doubt that the local market really would have the demand. It seems that the traditional large anchor department store is somewhat of a dying breed, which explains the exit of Foleys and Lord & Taylor from the Galleria and the closing of the Town & Country Niemans.

Since they already closed the old movie theaters, and because Edwards is so close, I doubt the Galleria will consider building more theaters. It doesn't seem like a great fit with a retail environment.

Is there really a need for a Bloomingdales? I doubt that the local market really would have the demand.

I still think people will flock since it will be the only one in Houston

Since they already closed the old movie theaters, and because Edwards is so close, I doubt the Galleria will consider building more theaters. It doesn't seem like a great fit with a retail environment.

This would be great as it would be another entertainment factor to have uptown. Edwards is close, but it is in Greenway Plaza area. Uptown has shopping and eating cornered, but with Landmark and General Theatres gone, it needs a nice new complex, maybe a 12 screen theatre.

Edited by Pumapayam

Since it is the Galleria, what about a premium movie theater? Beer, wine, 20 kinds of popcorn, wide seats, reserved seats, etc. Add an extra dollar to every ticket to get ushers stationed in every theater and have them crack down on screaming kids, cell phones, people talking, etc.

I still think people will flock since it will be the only one in Houston

I don't think I've ever been in Bloomingdales. Are they that unique? I thought it was just another somewhat upscale department store.

Movie theaters were pretty overbuilt in the 1990s, it just doesn't seem there's demand for more screens in the mall.

Well the Bloomingdales can't go into the Macy's space because it has to anchor the Galleria 5 I've created in my head. And speaking of movie theaters, sorta in the same area of town, a friend of a friend of a guy who knows someone who knows someone else told me they're building a movie theater at Memorial City Mall, is this true?

Do we really need more movie theaters? We have so many mega 20 plus screen theaters all over town already. Isn't the 30 screen on Dunvale and the Edwards on Weslayan enough for that region? The only theaters that I think may be cool to have more of are Alamo Drafthouse or River Oaks style theaters offering a bit of variety both in ambiance and types of films.

I'm hoping that the Borders will be accessible from the outside and will go far to alleviating the "bunker" look of the Galleria. A nice multi-story glass facade will give the Galleria a lot of curb appeal from Westheimer. I like the renovation of the inside, but I'm hoping that something can be done to the exterior. That intersection is extremely important.

I agree very much with this. I REALLY would like to see the Galleria remodel the exterior as well. Good point :)

Bloomingdales would be nice (wishful thinking here.) But if I had my way, I'd expand and attach the Dillards department store building to the mall across the street, and make, like a MAD retail, another department store area, and food court in the current parking lot area of Dillards.

That is, of course, after Lord & Taylor and Macys were filled to capacity.

If I had my way, I'd expand and attach the Dillards department store building to the mall across the street.

I know that Neiman Marcus is not owned by Simon, the company that owns the mall. The mall just came out to NM's front door. The same goes for Dillards. A skywalk would be nice, but it is unlikely a common corridor would be built for something that is not really included in the Galleria mall, even though NM is included in the mall directory. NM was built before the Galleria was and the own the land it sits on, not Simon.

Edited by Pumapayam

What is going in that Lord & Taylor expansion at the Galleria, I heard new stores were coming in? Anyone know which ones?

From Town&country Happenings thread earlier this year

The original Macy's Location is were Simon is looking to put the residential according the Houston Business Journal article. No plans exist for the surface parking areas. The Lord and Taylor location is to be small shops.

Simon will not be building new retail square footage with all the space they are going to get with the Lord and Taylor room.

I still say it should be a Target or a Wal-Mart.

Better yet an assortment of these small shops should go up there: Dollar General, Pawn Shop, Godfathers Bail Bond Office, Jungle Juice Liquor, Sperm Bank Anonymous, Pay-Less Shoes, and A 24 hour adult book store.

I had my way, I'd expand and attach the Dillards department store building to the mall across the street, and make, like a MAD retail, another department store area, and food court in the current parking lot area of Dillards.

That is, of course, after Lord & Taylor and Macys were filled to capacity.

If you can do this because Neiman Marcus does not want to and because it is not owned by Simon. Why not attach the Dillard to the Galleria by via under ground and this way a subway rail station could be attach to the mall under the street.

Edited by eelimon

From Town&country Happenings thread earlier this year

Better yet an assortment of these small shops should go up there: Dollar General, Pawn Shop, Godfathers Bail Bond Office, Jungle Juice Liquor, Sperm Bank Anonymous, Pay-Less Shoes, and A 24 hour adult book store.

That sounds like the typical Houston shopping center. :lol:

I think it was a lame attempt to be funny. We need better comedians on here.

I'm hoping that the Borders will be accessible from the outside and will go far to alleviating the "bunker" look of the Galleria. A nice multi-story glass facade will give the Galleria a lot of curb appeal from Westheimer. I like the renovation of the inside, but I'm hoping that something can be done to the exterior. That intersection is extremely important.

Well its your luck there is lots an lots of glass when you go to that end an see the artistic rendering the whole damn wall facing westhimer is glass

Do we really need more movie theaters? We have so many mega 20 plus screen theaters all over town already. Isn't the 30 screen on Dunvale and the Edwards on Weslayan enough for that region? The only theaters that I think may be cool to have more of are Alamo Drafthouse or River Oaks style theaters offering a bit of variety both in ambiance and types of films.

That AMC on Dunvale is always flooded with obnoxious teens - the Edwards on the Katy Frwy too. I'm not talking about just another theater. I'm talking about a premium experience where, for a few dollars more, you could have better food, seats, service, etc. Ex: a theater that blocks cell phone signals.

How about instead of wishing for more chain stores you can find in any other city to fill the vacant space, we root for some home-grown retail to fill it up and become a Houston export chain? Maybe Tootsie's would like a little extra room. I bet a lot of tourists who can't find Highland Village would be thrilled to shop there if it was in the Galleria.

Can we say 'pedestrian friendly'?

I really don't get the Galleria. There's the Galleria itself, and the surrounding development around Post Oak - but do people circulate around the area? No. They drive to a destination, then leave.

It's horrible. Am I the only one who notices that crossing Westheimer or Post Oak on foot ranks as an Extreme Sport? Does anyone shop outside the Galleria itself without first getting in their cars and finding other parking spaces a few hundred yards away? To cross a street on foot...well! How bizarre. Get in your car, and hope there's another parking space there, a block away. Unless you're awfully brave....and I don't see very many brave people.

No. Bad as automotive traffic is already, I do hope it becomes worse. Maybe then people will insist on dedicated pedestrian crosswalks. People already walk quite a distance to their cars, and spend time finding parking spaces - couldn't the same time and effort be put to better use by making the whole area more pedestrian friendly? Wouldn't everyone benefit?

Can we say 'pedestrian friendly'?

I really don't get the Galleria. There's the Galleria itself, and the surrounding development around Post Oak - but do people circulate around the area? No. They drive to a destination, then leave.

It's horrible. Am I the only one who notices that crossing Westheimer or Post Oak on foot ranks as an Extreme Sport? Does anyone shop outside the Galleria itself without first getting in their cars and finding other parking spaces a few hundred yards away? To cross a street on foot...well! How bizarre. Get in your car, and hope there's another parking space there, a block away. Unless you're awfully brave....and I don't see very many brave people.

No. Bad as automotive traffic is already, I do hope it becomes worse. Maybe then people will insist on dedicated pedestrian crosswalks. People already walk quite a distance to their cars, and spend time finding parking spaces - couldn't the same time and effort be put to better use by making the whole area more pedestrian friendly? Wouldn't everyone benefit?

Given the target market of the Galleria, I doubt pedestrian friendly access will become a priority soon. Generally, I find the "upscale" shopper to be the type who is both too busy and too important to walk. Walking is for poor people. Forget the argument about exercise. This shopper prefers valet parking at the fitness club. I have even seen escalators to the club!

It may seem strange, but not if you understand the upscale consumer mindset. This is a person who patterns his/her life around what is advertised to them as hip or trendy. Given that walking is free, you will find no ads for walking...unless it is on a treadmill.

Will light rail through the Galleria change things? Perhaps a bit for some of the younger shoppers. But, for most, it will not. This is also why I don't see the Galleria ever becoming "urban" in the pedestrian sense, even with the highrises nearby. They will merely drive down the street to the restaurant. While Downtown, even the bigshots occasionally walk, in Uptown, no one does. It is so...common!

Given the target market of the Galleria, I doubt pedestrian friendly access will become a priority soon. Generally, I find the "upscale" shopper to be the type who is both too busy and too important to walk. Walking is for poor people. Forget the argument about exercise. This shopper prefers valet parking at the fitness club. I have even seen escalators to the club!

It may seem strange, but not if you understand the upscale consumer mindset. This is a person who patterns his/her life around what is advertised to them as hip or trendy. Given that walking is free, you will find no ads for walking...unless it is on a treadmill.

Will light rail through the Galleria change things? Perhaps a bit for some of the younger shoppers. But, for most, it will not. This is also why I don't see the Galleria ever becoming "urban" in the pedestrian sense, even with the highrises nearby. They will merely drive down the street to the restaurant. While Downtown, even the bigshots occasionally walk, in Uptown, no one does. It is so...common!

RedScare is 100% right, but I'm curious as to what the mindset is of the stores across the street from the Galleria. Who exactly is their target, and how can those businesses survive long term, if things don't change (pedestrian friendly)?

Way off topic- but two things I think would be cool. First, The Dillards store should be converted into a concert hall/theater of some sort. Though I had hope that the land at Yorktown/Westheimer would have been perfect for a concert hall/theater. Not necessarily the AD Players. In conjunction to converting Dillards, it's front parking lot could be a plaza/square. Of course- the gas station and exotic boutique would have to go and a decorative "sound barrier" erected.

And secondly, The front parking lot-Westheimer/Post Oak- of the Galleria also should be turned into a plaza/square.

Way off topic- but two things I think would be cool. First, The Dillards store should be converted into a concert hall/theater of some sort. Though I had hope that the land at Yorktown/Westheimer would have been perfect for a concert hall/theater. Not necessarily the AD Players. In conjunction to converting Dillards, it's front parking lot could be a plaza/square. Of course- the gas station and exotic boutique would have to go and a decorative "sound barrier" erected.

And secondly, The front parking lot-Westheimer/Post Oak- of the Galleria also should be turned into a plaza/square.

How do you plan on kicking Dillards out of their building? Does anyone know if that would be structurally feasible? Since you would be knocking out all of the floors. Interesting idea though.

I know it's convenient to make this a rich-vs-poor thing because it fits neatly into your view of society, but I don't think it is. I think it's an urban planning issue.

The same people who drive from Saks across the street to Barnes and Noble are the same people who don't mind spending four or five hours walking from store to store along the streets of Paris, London, or even Chicago.

As another person noted, crossing Westheimer is an extreme sport. Why would these people risk their lives walking across the street when they can traverse the same distance in more comfort and safety in their cars? Yes, it's slower, but for many people the benefits of safety outweigh the inconvenience. The distance from Saks to Barnes and Noble (for example) is less than the distance from Saks to the other end of the mall. So why don't they drive there? Because there's stuff to look at, it's a controlled environment, and it's safe. If the next Galleria expansion was to place a block of elevated retail across Westheimer, you'd cut down on traffic, increase sales, and eliminate the whole "walking is for poor people" argument. Remember, these are people who very often walk/jog/run as part of their regular schedule. In cities like Paris, Vienna, and New York it's done in the course of the day's errands. In cities like Houston it's done in a gym, because going outside is unappetizing.

Why would these people risk their lives walking across the street when they can traverse the same distance in more comfort and safety in their cars?

Remember, these are people who very often walk/jog/run as part of their regular schedule.

In cities like Houston it's done in a gym, because going outside is unappetizing.

After discounting my argument with your first sentence, you proceeded to agree with me. My whole point was that the target Galleria shopper, that shopper with a lot of disposable income, is wholly uninterested in the outdoor walking experience. For that reason, the Galleria has not gone to any great length to make the Galleria pedestrian friendly.

The fact that I am a bit more blunt in my assessment of the situation does not change the fact that we both said the same thing.

To compare Houstonians with Londoners, Parisians, Chicagoans, New Yorkers and Vienans(?) is comical, to say the least. In all of those cities, dense housing and extensive public transportation infrastructure, combined with retail establishments that are within walking distance of housing and transportation, permit, and even encourage pedestrian activity. Houston, with well over 80% of its population growth coming after World War II, was designed and built to be travelled by auto. Even if these shoppers wished to walk, which they don't, they would face obstacles to do so.