The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

Or Saks relocating to the old(er) Macy's, and converting Saks into part of the mall, maybe even a Barneys. It will never happen though. My hopes were crushed when Saks began remodeling about 2/3 years ago. Saks Fifth Avenue in Houston is one of the most profitable, I beleive its a flagship and second largest store(sq ft) in the chain. Also I believe the building itself was designed by some super architect. Saks isnt going anywhere.

Louis Vuitton had/has plans to open a bigger store with a second entrance facing Westheimer Rd. Does anyone know anything about it?

Or Saks relocating to the old(er) Macy's, and converting Saks into part of the mall, maybe even a Barneys. It will never happen though. My hopes were crushed when Saks began remodeling about 2/3 years ago. Saks Fifth Avenue in Houston is one of the most profitable, I beleive its a flagship and second largest store(sq ft) in the chain. Also I believe the building itself was designed by some super architect. Saks isnt going anywhere.

Louis Vuitton had/has plans to open a bigger store with a second entrance facing Westheimer Rd. Does anyone know anything about it?

saks at the galleria is in the former marshall field's location, designed by philip johnson.

• Like 1

What are you talking about?? This is Houston...we're known for tearing down landmarks! I was thinking moving the Saks to the old Macy's would be a good idea...but I don't think they'd be willing to move to a less visible area and then deal with construction of the existing mall space for 1-2 years. I figured they'd at least settle if they had prime visibility from Westheimer.

That whole back corridor is sketchy.. but Im sure Simon figured that hardly anyone knows or even uses it, so why even invest in it. If Kim Kardashian were a section of the Galleria, she would be Galleria III.. Its worn, dirty, and needs to go.. lol.

• Like 1

I imagine a renovation of this space would cut down on the sketchy folks like myself directly cutting through Saks to get to Galleria III.

As it is today Saks represents the end of axis anchor thereby choking off pedestrian traffic to Galleria III. Utilizing a perceived "sketchy" part of the mall, it would take some parking away but give the remodeled "old" Macy's a direct processional mall connection (which is the only thing I think will keep this appendage from going gangrene). It would open up a huge expanse of display window front for Saks in addition. Although this idea would require the dismantling of a portion of 1/2 of the existing garage, it would add boutique retail tenant space facing Saks with the clerestory height potential to be quite a dramatic architectural compression and release of day lighting. It would give the existing Galleria III the food court/resturant circulatory pivot that it needs to remain viable while giving Saks greater pedestrian exposure around it's store as well as keeping the existing route through the store.

Creating a strong western anchor to the mall would strengthen the future possibility of an extension of axis across Sage Rd.

I'm against taking the space of the current parking lots and parking garage ramps in front of the Galleria along Westheimer Rd. for the same reason that I was against folks wanting to pull the Blvd Place bldg footprints all the way to the sidewalk even with implementation of future light rail.

Edited by infinite_jim

Burberry is doing this also. The current Burberry store closed last week and has moved to a temporary location down by Saks during the expansion. I am not sure when LV will do the same.

I hope the Vuitton expansion on to Westheimer does happen. I used to work at The Galleria, our store shared a back corridor with Louis Vuitton and other stores. Right behind Vuitton and Burberry was a huge empty space, Im sure thats the space being expanded on to. Likewise, directly above it behind Puma, Arden.B., and Abercrombie was another empty space. I remember peeking thru a door that read "PLANET HOLLYWOOD" and seeing a huge empty room. Im assuming at one point The Galleria had a "Planet Hollywood"?

I hope the Vuitton expansion on to Westheimer does happen. I used to work at The Galleria, our store shared a back corridor with Louis Vuitton and other stores. Right behind Vuitton and Burberry was a huge empty space, Im sure thats the space being expanded on to. Likewise, directly above it behind Puma, Arden.B., and Abercrombie was another empty space. I remember peeking thru a door that read "PLANET HOLLYWOOD" and seeing a huge empty room. Im assuming at one point The Galleria had a "Planet Hollywood"?

This from Culturemap back in November:

The Louis Vuitton store in The Gallera plans to nearly double its space, adding an entrance onto Westheimer, several VIP salons and new shopping space on a second floor.

Next door, the Burberry boutique will also expand to showcase more of the distinctive high-end clothing from Christopher Bailey's well-received runway collections.

Both stores will relocate to temporary space inside the mall next spring while the renovations take place. The newly remodeled stores are scheduled to opening in mid-fall 2012.

I suspect the Dior space will be used by Louis Vuitton, while the expansion since both Vuitton and Dior are owned by LVMH. Maybe Dior will come back with a rebuild store afterwards.. fingers crossed!!

Just walked by and you are correct. LV will use the old Dior space while the LV store is closed for expansion. The sign says the temp LV location in the old Dior will open Spring 2012 so hopefully soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I beleive I was right, also I notice across the second entrance from Prada another barricade with Louis Vuitton "opening Spring 2012". I'm assuming Louis Vuitton is leasing more temporary space. Maybe one location will hold Men's and another Women's.

The old Borders has a barricade up already but no sign of what is opening there. I hope H&M takes that space.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Forever XXI is taking the former Borders space, I saw the marketing beeing put up infront of the barricade. Its not H&M but alot better than what I expected, Simon has the tendency to lease space to anyone.

I expected Burberry to have an entrance facing Westheimer Rd, but it seems like it will not. I hope Louis Vuitton keeps its original plan to have a second entrance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Let me start this off by saying; 1) I know it's NBA all-star weekend, and 2) I've heard the horror stories of Galleria traffic from the last time Houston hosted it...

But, WTF is going on around the Galleria?  The traffic is worse than the Thanksgiving sales weekend... and that's saying something.  Who are all of these people and where are they going?  Is this just for shopping?

• Like 1

Let me start this off by saying; 1) I know it's NBA all-star weekend, and 2) I've heard the horror stories of Galleria traffic from the last time Houston hosted it...

But, WTF is going on around the Galleria?  The traffic is worse than the Thanksgiving sales weekend... and that's saying something.  Who are all of these people and where are they going?  Is this just for shopping?

Galleria is the number one shopping destination in the area, especially for the people with money that the All-Star Game draws. Lots of luxury retailers there. Also a good chance of seeing some celebrities walking around, if you're into that.

I try to avoid the Galleria on all days as a general rule.

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 1

It took my girlfriend a *full hour* around 4pm today (a Saturday!) to get from just west of the Galleria area to Max's Wine Dive on Washington - a trip that would normally be 15-20 mins.  Crazy traffic.  Is this really all attributable to the All-Star game?  Are that many people really here?  The Toyota Center only holds around 20,000, right?

Looks like the all-stars tweeted their locations at the Galleria, and waves of people came to see them.  Just crazy that it reached its legal capacity.  Has that ever happened before?

http://www.click2houston.com/news/HPD-The-Galleria-closes-early-due-to-large-crowds/-/1735978/18580904/-/x823ou/-/index.html 

My sister came in to town today from the Hill Country. She exited I-10 around 4 pm onto the West Loop. It took her just shy of an hour to get to US 59! There were no warnings on I-10, but they had the Woodway, San Felipe, and Westheimer exits closed. WTF? She said she literally didn't move for nearly 30 minutes.

Luckily, Kanomwan is open again after the annual pilgrimage to Thailand so we avoided to douchebaggery on the Westside.