The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

I was also thinking maybe they could open up a California Pizza Kitchen for the Veranda food thingie 27 was talking about.  I know there is one at Post Oak and San Felipe, but maybe they could close that location, and actually that whole shopping center, and do something better with that land, like condos, office tower, or more of an "urban" retail center (I know, it's Houston, but still!)

NewMnd,

According to this story in houston chronicle, it seems that there are already some plans for shopping centers at Post Oak and San Felipe. Cant say if developers are actually going ahead with the plans but at least something is going on.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/b...sarnoff/2636415

"Oh, and it should have super keen architecture, since it will be facing 610 (maybe they can bulldoze over that Erotic Zone). 

NewMnd,

Yes, indeed, they need to bulldoze over that Zone Erotica with all the stuff in it. That thing stands out like a pimple in an otherwise upscale area. I am new in Houston and when I first drove into Uptown, this business immediately caught my attention since its so prominent and right by the freeway. Doesnt give you a good first impression of Galleria area.

Oh, and every time they show the loop on the traffic cam, there are a bunch of nice office buildings, and BAM! That nasty zone'd smut. Nasty.

Many cities that have low water tables have subways that don't flood. Much of the downtown tunnel system didn't flood during Allison, and the sections that flooded mainly flooded because of a failed bulkhead in the underground theater district garages.

You are absolutely correct. Look at Chicago -- the underground portions of its rail system are all well below the water table. In fact, two lines go underneath the Chicago River.

A better example would be Amsterdam, though. Almost the entire city is below sea level, and they have a subway.

Or we could just look at Houston -- in addition to the downtown tunnel system, there is the tunnel underneath the Houston Ship Channel. I've never heard of that flooding. There even used to be a second tunnel where the Fred Hartmann Bridge is now.

There's no reason not to tunnel beneath Houston other than irrational fear.

A subway would cost 10 times much as light rail from figures I've seen in various articles posted on HAIF. Why not a subway station for our most urban areas, like downtown, uptown, the med center & IAH. and then ground level for the rest?

Glen

That's the approach Metro has taken with the light rail extensions and possible subway segements. The only two places where I've heard any talk of a subway would be the downtown east-west line and a small subway segment on the line between the Northwest Transit Center and Uptown where the rail line would be tunneled under the West Loop.

As for the Uptown line down Post Oak, so far it's planned for running at grade in the median of the street. However that line is way off in the future, well after the Northline, Southeast, Harrisburg, and Westpark extensions are built.

Because many people in Houston for a long time have been against rail transit. There are various reasons. Some think it costs too much. Others say it's unsafe. Some believe Houston isn't big enough for it yet. Some think it's a conspiracy by the car dealerships and construction companies (which do seem to have an unusual amount of power in this city).

Doing all the rail at once feels like force-feeding -- shoving it down thier throats. Doing rail a little at a time is more palatable. As Hosuton's population shifts from the old families that have been here for generations to new people from other parts of this country and abroad the old grudges are becoming less powerful.

The Houston rail fight has been going on for decades, and it's only gotten this far. But I guess that's a topic for another thread. This one was supposed to be about the Galleria. ;)

I'm new to Houston (my excuse for everything), so I haven't been able to hear all the arguements for and against the light rail. My question is, why is it such a long based program? Why not have more put in now?

Glen

It's a long story. The short of it is that the existing light rail segment was built entirely with local money after Tom DeLay cut off federal funding for rail development to Metro early in the design stages of the existing rail line. DeLay insisted that Metro could get no federal money for rail development unless they put a rail plan on the ballot for local voters. That happened in November 2003 and the Metro Solutions plan, which included light rail, greatly expanded bus service, new park and ride lots and transit centers, and more HOV lanes, passed. After it passed Metro was finally able to proceed with planning for rail extensions and apply for federal funding to help pay for those extensions. Metro spent much of 2002 and 2003 developing the Metro Solutions plan and getting it ready for a vote, as well as completing the current rail line. But it could not really make much progress on the proposed extensions until the election was held and the plan was approved by voters.

Even if Tom DeLay had not pulled his little funding stunt, it would still be a few years before construction on the extensions started, although we might see it a year or two sooner. The whole process takes a long time, as Metro is required to go through a specific process of determining whether a corridor will be upgraded to rail service, then studying alternatives to rail in that corridor, then selecting an exact routing for the rail line, then going through environmental analysis, then designing the rail line and getting it funded, and then finally constructing it. That process takes several years. The Main St. line was sped up in part because it was built with local money only and that corridor had been under study for an advanced transportation system for quite some time.

I personally see a huge difference between even low end Armani and high end Armani clothing. You could pay $200 for a pair of pants that will last you a year or $700 for a pair that will last you for 10 years. I buy what I buy for the quality not for the label. If I could find something I like that will stay with me for the next decade then the price just doesnt matter as much to me.

Now on the other hand there are many items and retailers out there that are aiming for the label crowd. Weeding though all of that is an artform.

Why did Dolce & Gabbana leave Houston?

Will they come back?

Did you know Houston was the first location in the United States?

Check this out:

Dolce & Gabbana is a high-end designer company owned by Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana. Dolce & Gabbana are very popular for their designs in the Hollywood industry; they have designed clothes for Madonna, Monica Bellucci, Isabella Rossellini, Kylie Minogue, and Angelina Jolie, amongst others. The company is based in Milan.

Its first store in the United States opened in March 1995 in the upscale shopping mecca "the Galleria" in Houston's fashion district. Since then, a boom in interest in their clothes has called for openings of their boutiques in other major cosmopolitan cities all over the world. Their boutiques have become a symbol of high fashion and couture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolce_&_Gabbana

• 1 month later...

My GF works at the ESPN Zone in Downtown Disneyland. It is the highest grossing unit they have. Quite simply, nothing in Houston yet fits their criteria for where a unit could be located with enough space to do what they want.

Their requirements for walk in foot traffic is not present in downtown Houston on a consistent basis.

They want a stand alone building; not in a mall like Fox was willing to.

Although a downtown location is desireable, they feel there was not enough "gravity" yet for the substanstial investment required.

The article fails to mention that there's a Fox Sports Grill in Chicago.  I wonder if other locations were also left out.

They don't list a Chicago location on their website...

Fox Sports Grill locations

Do you know something they don't ;-)

I wonder if you are thinking of a Fox Sports Sky Box, like the on in Terminal E at Bush Intercontinental. I think they are a completely different animal from the Fox Sports Grill.

It's just another champps in my opinion. Not much sets any of the two apart. I don't buy the foot traffic that ESPN is waiting for downtown. Either they haven't visited downtown Houston, or they are using some bogus numbers. The lunch crowd alone would more than support an ESPNZone and the weekend crowd downtown is pretty substantial. Plus, it's Houston, people will drive just to go to the ESPNZone downtown. Clearly they need to research the Houston market better, instead of trying to box in every market into one category.

It's just another champps in my opinion. Not much sets any of the two apart. I don't buy the foot traffic that ESPN is waiting for downtown. Either they haven't visited downtown Houston, or they are using some bogus numbers. The lunch crowd alone would more than support an ESPNZone and the weekend crowd downtown is pretty substantial. Plus, it's Houston, people will drive just to go to the ESPNZone downtown. Clearly they need to research the Houston market better, instead of trying to box in every market into one category.

What you fail to notice is that ESPN Zones primarily locate in areas that have an urban business/tourist mix; Times Square, Dowtown Disneyland, Baltimore Harbor, LoDo in Denver. Houston- Downtown is nowhere near the caliber of the above places in terms of foot traffic and tourist appeal.

Despite their best efforts, downtown restaurants still look empty every time I pass by.

• 1 month later...