The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

OK that make sense. For some reason I thought the new high rise would be around the Macy/Norstroms wing close to the church

You mean like in the churches parking lot? I always wished Simon would/could work out a deal to buy out part of or all of the church property for another expansion.

Looks like Saks will take up all of the old Galleria III plus some. This is interesting--while Galleria III will be substantially gutted (the basic infrastructure, i.e. steel beams, etc.) but retained, most of the Macy's is gone. If they do build that residential high rise, I hope at least has good integration with the main mall.

I wonder if in the future, Simon will dispense with the "Galleria X" names entirely. After all, the Lord & Taylor wing is only unofficially (to my best knowledge) "Galleria V", it's still part of II technically. With the last true new "Galleria X" wing over a decade ago, and with Galleria III going away, I'm predicting that it won't have names like that anymore.

I wonder if in the future, Simon will dispense with the "Galleria X" names entirely. After all, the Lord & Taylor wing is only unofficially (to my best knowledge) "Galleria V", it's still part of II technically. With the last true new "Galleria X" wing over a decade ago, and with Galleria III going away, I'm predicting that it won't have names like that anymore.

Galleria V? there are currently only 4 sections of theGalleria. the original Galleria I, Galleria II, this Galleria III, and then Galleria IV, branching south from Galleria II. i always thought it would be cool to have a galleria V branching west off Galleria IV into the church property, but there hasnt been a 4th expansion/addition to the mall yet warranting a Galleria V.

i presume they will just keep the Galleria III name once the new wing is rebuilt, so the names will probably stick around. you may be right though.

and Subdude, that is where the stand-alone luxury retail box stores will be that they mentioned in the original expansion announcement.

What is the "Proposed New Luxury Pad" in the north parking area?

As an aside, calling the rebuild area the "Luxury Wing" is kind of obnoxious.

It's a separate building that will house a planned Chanel and Cartier store. I think The Galleria is simply suggesting what kind of stores they will be leasing space to in the Saks expansion. They have been closing and relocating quite a few stores to accommodate more desirable stores, same was done when the Nordstrom and Foleys wing opened.

post-1184-0-75627000-1395537520_thumb.jp

post-1184-0-01915100-1395537544_thumb.jp

post-1184-0-56915700-1395537568_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Galleria V? there are currently only 4 sections of theGalleria. the original Galleria I, Galleria II, this Galleria III, and then Galleria IV, branching south from Galleria II. i always thought it would be cool to have a galleria V branching west off Galleria IV into the church property, but there hasnt been a 4th expansion/addition to the mall yet warranting a Galleria V.

Yeah, Galleria V technically doesn't exist, and I don't call it that either. However, with Galleria III being destroyed and new retail replacing Saks, I feel that they may just no longer call it anything, and the old references of Galleria I, II, III, will fade into memory.

Yeah, Galleria V technically doesn't exist, and I don't call it that either. However, with Galleria III being destroyed and new retail replacing Saks, I feel that they may just no longer call it anything, and the old references of Galleria I, II, III, will fade into memory.

i dont know.. it just seems like the mall is so big, and with separate wings, it kind of makes sense to have names for the different corridors. especially if/when they plan on a Galleria V.

as for you mentioning in a comment earlier hoping the residential highrise would be integrated into the mall nicely.. if its going in that "square" below SFA then the only connection into the mall is either walking through SFA or a corridor through the parking garage. neither are super appealing, but i guess it will work. id like to see it with a big open sky lobby/atrium built into the new portion of the mall, with a private/key coded elevator bank going up to the residential floors. oh well, im just glad they are trying to finally implement residential into theGalleria. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2014/04/sneak-preview-of-galleria-renovation.html?page=all

• A stand-alone, 14,000-square-foot building dubbed “The Jewel Box” will be built on theCheesecake Factory’s existing parking deck facing Westheimer. The space will house luxury retailers who want visibility. Noble said several “new-to-market” tenants have expressed interest in the plans, but would not elaborate on which retailers are interested or how much rent the space will charge.
  • Saks Fifth Avenue will move into a renovated 198,000-square-foot space located next to its existing space. Saks is set to open in early 2016.
  • The existing Saks building will be renovated, providing 110,000 square feet of space for new restaurants and retail. Construction will begin on this space after Saks moves into its new building. Saks will stay open during the renovation.
  • Saks will take up part of Macy’s Inc. (NYSE: M), which will consolidate into its Galleria store facing Hidalgo Street.  The consolidation will affect 136 positions, according to the  Texas Workforce Commission. However, the company is confident that most of those employees will find jobs at other local Macy's stores.
  • A new multifamily tower will also be built on the former Macy’s site, but Noble wouldn’t give details on the project, only to say that it is part of the master plan for the complex, and that the team is focused on the retail component of the project.

• Like 3

actually, imo, i don't view it as "bland"... but quiet, clean, as well as ultra modern.  this is a concept illustration of the "luxury walk".  as per neiman marcus, all the way through to saks fifth avenue.

this particular luxury concept, reminds me a bit of the "dubai mall's" luxury wing.  extremely quiet, albeit, an understated elegance throughout it's area.  not to mention, the "mall of the emirates" also in dubai, which has a really cool luxury concept.  this concept,  makes you feel as though you are partaking an indoor "rodeo drive" shopping experience.

i would give almost anything, if the "houston galleria" could ever accomplish the sheer and utter magnificence, as per the mall's in dubai, uae.  once you've experience either of these two of the "world's largest shopping mall's"... you shall never feel the same way about shopping...  ever again.

The interior seems a bit bland, but I love the outside.

• Like 3

actually, imo, i don't view it as "bland"... but quiet, clean, as well as ultra modern.  this is a concept illustration of the "luxury walk".  as per neiman marcus, all the way through to saks fifth avenue.

this particular luxury concept, reminds me a bit of the "dubai mall's" luxury wing.  extremely quiet, albeit, an understated elegance throughout it's area.  not to mention, the "mall of the emirates" also in dubai, which has a really cool luxury concept.  this concept,  makes you feel as though you are partaking an indoor "rodeo drive" shopping experience.

i would give almost anything, if the "houston galleria" could ever accomplish the sheer and utter magnificence, as per the mall's in dubai, uae.  once you've experience either of these two of the "world's largest shopping mall's"... you shall never feel the same way about shopping...  ever again.

How do you decide what words to put in quotation marks? Is it completely random?

The existing Saks building will be renovated, providing 110,000 square feet of space for new restaurants and retail. Construction will begin on this space after Saks moves into its new building.

So it's going to be quite awhile before this new luxury wing opens? Assuming it'll take about a year after Saks moves to its new location to renovate, that puts it during the first part of 2017, or not for another three years. For some reason I thought it was going to be much sooner than that, but I guess it's more of a long term plan. Still, I'm excited to see the changes, and how they eventually incorporate the residential high rise. Although I'm not getting my hopes up too much on that, I remember Turnberry Tower never getting off the ground.

• Like 2

??  What are you talking about?

Moving Chanel and other high-end retail out of the actual Galleria and in separate buildings above the parking garage as pictured in the renderings.

I was joking around, as I could never afford to buy anything other than a spec of dust in those stores, and only gaze through the windows.

How do you decide what words to put in quotation marks? Is it completely random?

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""now you decide.

So it's going to be quite awhile before this new luxury wing opens? Assuming it'll take about a year after Saks moves to its new location to renovate, that puts it during the first part of 2017, or not for another three years. For some reason I thought it was going to be much sooner than that, but I guess it's more of a long term plan. Still, I'm excited to see the changes, and how they eventually incorporate the residential high rise. Although I'm not getting my hopes up too much on that, I remember Turnberry Tower never getting off the ground.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

http://blog.chron.com/shopgirl/2014/05/hm-to-open-at-the-galleria-this-fall/

H&M to open at The Galleria this fall

I can hear Houston shoppers now: “It’s about time!”

Yes, one of the world’s largest fashion retailers known for offering affordable fashion has announced a new store in the Galleria. The 20,000 square feet store in  is set to open in this fall.  It will offer more Houston customers access to its quality clothing including collections for ladies, men, young ladies and young men, with separate “store within store” sections for accessories, lingerie and its plus-size line, H&M+.

Currently, there are eight H&M stores in the Lone Star State.   The Swedish fashion retailer debuted in Houston at Baybrook and Willowbrook Malls in 2012.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...