The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

I've often wondered why Simon never renovated Galleria III with the rest of the mall a year or two ago. I'm glad it's finally happening, as that section of the mall was in horrible shape, and the renovations to the rest of the mall just made Galleria III look that much worse in comparison.

Now if Macy's will just do a renovation to their store. Maybe it's just me, but I find the interior of that store to be so unappealing I can't stand shopping in there.

• 1 month later...

I've been to LA and I really didn't think the girls there were that attractive or cosmopolitan. Sure, there are some good looking people there, but on average it's nothing to write home about.

And I really wouldn't feel like Houston is missing anything by not having its own Real World or awards show. Out of all of the cities whose names have been thrown around on this site, Los Angeles is the last one Houston should aspire to become like.

TreaderCRC,

As a wise person once said, "New York is as much 'All in the Family' as it is 'Sex in the City'."

I think you're giving New York way too much credit.  Sure, the beautiful people concentrate in cetain areas, but it's a pretty big place, with some pretty freak people, just like everywhere else.

And Puff Gun J Lo Daddy can hang it up.  That couture won't fly in Houston, for many of the reasons you just listed.

Print It

articlepicMace.jpg

The Sean John Couture line has won incredible reviews from every major fashion critic in the last few years, icluding last year's Designer of the Year. Most people, and I'm assuming that includes most people on this thread have never seen any of it in person. You won't find it at Foley's! It is a very sophisticated line of clothing that has NOTHING to do with the hiphop sportwear that you see at department stores. It also cost a fortune, say $3,000 for a typical jacket, like all couture does. If you don't know the difference between Armani A/X and Giorgio Armani Black Lable or the difference between Polo and Ralph Lauren Purple Label, then you just don't understand.

To suggest that "couture won't fly in Houston" is to reveal a complete ignorance of the significance of couture in Houston, and the importance to the fashion industry of the buyers of couture in Houston. I suppose names like Lynn Wyatt, Becca Cason Thrash, Diane Farb, Caroline Farb, Frann Lichtenstein, etc. etc. mean nothing to you, but these are just a few of the hundreds of Houston women who buy couture. These people spend well into six figures on couture evey year, some of them every season. It may not matter to you or anyone that you associate with, but couture does "fly" in Houston.

There is (was?) an empty lot next to Nordstroms.

There sure is.

And I think 27 makes a good point. Psychologically, people tend to shut off additions if they're hidden behind an established structure or unit. If you're just browsing, you may not think enough to keep moving through a store and around display cases, registers and whatnot. You may just decide that the mall is "over" and turn back around.

I think you could still do it but you would probably need to change the configuration of Neiman Marcus as well.

They could expand on the surface lot right next to Neiman Marcus and have a "Grand Entrance" at the Corner of Post Oak and Westheimer that would be more inviting to pedestrians in the area.

Like Citykid, I would like to see a Nike Town and a Virgin Megastore in the Galleria. I would rather an ESPN Zone downtown though.

zzzzzzzzz......OH! Sorry, I fell asleep in this forum. I was looking for men's jeans for $10.00 and Spalding tennis shoes - could you point me to the right direction?  :)

Glen

Bless your heart, and thanks for the reality check.

Whether Sean John Couture, Fendi or Allis-Chalmers opens a new store in The Galleria is a matter of utter indifference to me. I do not intend to spend thou$ands on a new jacket - or hay baler.

And now, darlings, forgive me...but Driver has the Maybach waiting out front, and I'm famished for some Beluga.

The "hot" argument is completely overblown. Its hot in Miami, New Orleans, Austin, San Antonio, Atlanta, Phoenix, etc... and they all have examples of walkable outdoor shopping environments. Citykid is right... if something is designed with sensitivity and properly for the climate, it'll work. Its interesting to note that the new additions to The Woodlands Mall and Market Street are pedestrian-oriented and completely open to the elements.

I work on Post Oak - a block from Westheimer. I walk across the intersection all the time... however, you are right on that front, Midtown. Uptown Houston should really concentrate on improving the pedestrian environment in the TIRZ... the sidewalks in the area are ridiculously narrow... might as well be cow-paths.

Galleria 5? I don't think it is really necessary, although some of the suggestions listed are pretty good. I'd love to see a decent movie complex integrated into the project again... not the biggest fan of the Edward's projects. I don't like to pay to park (Greenway) and the one on I-10 is surrounded by difficult to navigate construction... movie theaters seem like such a natural in The Galleria.