The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

Way off topic- but two things I think would be cool. First, The Dillards store should be converted into a concert hall/theater of some sort. Though I had hope that the land at Yorktown/Westheimer would have been perfect for a concert hall/theater. Not necessarily the AD Players. In conjunction to converting Dillards, it's front parking lot could be a plaza/square. Of course- the gas station and exotic boutique would have to go and a decorative "sound barrier" erected.

And secondly, The front parking lot-Westheimer/Post Oak- of the Galleria also should be turned into a plaza/square.

Interesting ideas, but I think parking is in too short supply around the area to give up spaces for a plaza. I wouldn't be surprised if the Macy's location ends up converted into a parking garage.

Interesting ideas, but I think parking is in too short supply around the area to give up spaces for a plaza. I wouldn't be surprised if the Macy's location ends up converted into a parking garage.

There isn't much parking in front of Dillard's. Most is in the garage to the south and the surface lot to the north.

WIth the talk of a Galleria expansion, where would they build? I'm no visionary, so there may be a way around it, but it seems the Galleria is getting pretty landlocked nowadays.

Well there is a lot next to the waterwall. And there is the chance that church may sell (though I doubt it)

Then there is the parking lot north of galleria 1. Plus the parking North of Dillards. Perhaps a deal could be made where a larger parking garage is built for Dillards and they sell the rest of their parking. Then there are always the few strip malls near it.

Or they could just tear down the transco and expand to the east :P:P

Or they could just tear down the transco and expand to the east :P:P

How is that even funny?

Anyways, the lot next to the waterwall should be turned into a Whole Foods grovery store so that the tenants of the hotels and the near by condos can walk to a grocery store.

It would really make work,live, and play feasible for a pedistrian lifestyles.

I don't expect to see any expansion of the Galleria for a long time. Their main issue now is using the space freed up by departing anchor stores. The Galleria is already so large that it borders on the inconvenient to get around, plus malls in general are losing business to big box retailers.

After discounting my argument with your first sentence, you proceeded to agree with me. My whole point was that the target Galleria shopper, that shopper with a lot of disposable income, is wholly uninterested in the outdoor walking experience. For that reason, the Galleria has not gone to any great length to make the Galleria pedestrian friendly.

The fact that I am a bit more blunt in my assessment of the situation does not change the fact that we both said the same thing.

To compare Houstonians with Londoners, Parisians, Chicagoans, New Yorkers and Vienans(?) is comical, to say the least. In all of those cities, dense housing and extensive public transportation infrastructure, combined with retail establishments that are within walking distance of housing and transportation, permit, and even encourage pedestrian activity. Houston, with well over 80% of its population growth coming after World War II, was designed and built to be travelled by auto. Even if these shoppers wished to walk, which they don't, they would face obstacles to do so.

This is a great point. Houston was largely built after WWII which constitutes an auto friendly city. I'm sure most here know about Ike's highway system across the country during this time, which obviously had a huge impact on how the newer cities were designed.

Also, I grow weary of constantly hearing about how other cities build there infrastructure. Could Houston have done a better job? Of course. Could we take some lessons on how to plan in the future? Obviously. That being said, the Houston area's issues with non restricted growth is what makes this city unique. As far as becoming more Urban, were getting there. That being said, let's not try to change the things that made this city what it is. That's not to say we can't continue in learning from others, however I'll bet there are alot of cities who wish they had what Houston has, a bright future.

Edited by Gary

This is a great point. Houston was largely built after WWII which constitutes an auto friendly city. I'm sure most here know about Ike's highway system across the country during this time, which obviously had a huge impact on how the newer cities were designed.

Also, I grow weary of constantly hearing about how other cities build there infrastructure. Could Houston have done a better job? Of course. Could we take some lessons on how to plan in the future? Obviously. That being said, the Houston area's issues with non restricted growth is what makes this city unique. As far as becoming more Urban, were getting there. That being said, let's not try to change the things that made this city what it is. That's not to say we can't continue in learning from others, however I'll bet there are alot of cities who wish they had what Houston has, a bright future.

I am kinda tired of the "Houston has to become urban to become a city" arguement as well.

That being said, I think if anyplace in Houston outside of Downtown needs to make a pedestrian environment the bigger priority than any other, it'd be the Galleria-area. Uptown is such a great place, but I can see it profiting much higher once people feel comfortable about walking from one store inside the Galleria to a shop outside the Galleria. I think both businesses would profit much more.

I agree with da Houstonian in Iraq as well. I think underground parking-only in the Galleria area would be badass, and a huge plus to the retail scene. Question is which business would be willing to invest in that, or where would funding for that come from. But he's right.

I would agree we should make Uptown more pedestrian friendly and I think there will eventually be a movement toward that. With the new pavillions going up on Post Oak and the addition of the new Randal Davis condos, it should bring this issue more to the forefront.

Once again, I'm tired of hearing how we need to become someone else, this is Houston, not New York.

I just don't see the Galleria area ever becoming a pedestrian or urban environment. The area is too large and dominated by large roads for that. And I'm not saying that it should be pedestrian friendly - it's basically a mall and strip-center oriented neighborhood, and that would be hard to change at this point.

Concerns about "being Houston" or "being New York" seem a little off-base. I think the appropriateness of a pedestrian-friendly or urban environment is very location specific, not city-specific. Does it make sense for the Galleria area? Probably not. Does it make sense for downtown? Yes, probably so. That kind of environment is dependent on density and scale. That is what makes me dubious that plazas or a pedestrian environment could ever really be meaningfully successful around the Galleria. I just think that redevelopment efforts should make sense in the context of their neighborhood, not to think that one framework makes sense everywhere.

I just don't see the Galleria area ever becoming a pedestrian or urban environment. The area is too large and dominated by large roads for that. And I'm not saying that it should be pedestrian friendly - it's basically a mall and strip-center oriented neighborhood, and that would be hard to change at this point.

Concerns about "being Houston" or "being New York" seem a little off-base. I think the appropriateness of a pedestrian-friendly or urban environment is very location specific, not city-specific. Does it make sense for the Galleria area? Probably not. Does it make sense for downtown? Yes, probably so. That kind of environment is dependent on density and scale. That is what makes me dubious that plazas or a pedestrian environment could ever really be meaningfully successful around the Galleria. I just think that redevelopment efforts should make sense in the context of their neighborhood, not to think that one framework makes sense everywhere.

While I agree that it will never be walkable like DT, I do think that eventually it will move toward a more pedestrian friendly environment.

As far as the area being to large I would dissagree. The area from the Galleria to where the Uptown Pavillions will go is only a few blocks. Why couldn't we build (as was mentioned earlier) a sky walk across Wetheimer to connect the areas?

They could build a skywalk, and it is just a few blocks, but it is just my perception that it will always be an auto-oriented area. There's nothing wrong with that. Post Oak and Westheimer both seem too wide and crowded to be conducive to heavy pedestrian traffic. Again, it's an issue of scale. A pedestrian environment works fine in Rice Village where the roads are relatively narrow and stores are close to the street.

While I agree that it will never be walkable like DT, I do think that eventually it will move toward a more pedestrian friendly environment.

As far as the area being to large I would dissagree. The area from the Galleria to where the Uptown Pavillions will go is only a few blocks. Why couldn't we build (as was mentioned earlier) a sky walk across Wetheimer to connect the areas?

Uptown has been moving toward a more pedestrian friendly environment for some years now. The street arches and landscaped sidewalks and crosswalks were huge improvements. The next step is probably pedestrian-friendly development of the commercial properties. That, of course will take a lot of time, but the Uptown Pavilions (or whatever it's official name is) is hopefully the first of many steps to come.

They could build a skywalk, and it is just a few blocks, but it is just my perception that it will always be an auto-oriented area. There's nothing wrong with that. Post Oak and Westheimer both seem too wide and crowded to be conducive to heavy pedestrian traffic. Again, it's an issue of scale. A pedestrian environment works fine in Rice Village where the roads are relatively narrow and stores are close to the street.

Yeah I don't think it will ever move away from being auto oriented, but I do think that a more pedetrian friendly area is emminent.

but I do think that a more pedetrian friendly area is emminent.

i am not sure if many have faith for anything to do with imminence in houston, and others are starting to feel that way about its eminence :blink::rolleyes:

Edited by sevfiv

seriously, though...it would be great to not only have better walkable areas in the galleria area, but also ones that will actually be used...

somehow, i only see usability for alot of the clientele taking the shape of an air-conditioned chute from car to storefront...heh

Edited by sevfiv

Maybe if more people drove scooters and motorcycles to work, then it might help that transition to a more pedestrian friendly area. Currently everyone jumps in their MUV's(monster utility vehicle) wastes gas to go down the block, while on their cellphone, not paying attention to what is around them, not looking when they change lanes, fiddling with their lipstick, makeup, tie, shaving, kids and many more. Not even remotly pedestrian friendly to me. Especially when you blow your horn at them after they cut you off, the old hand guester is given to you, and when you wind up passing them they sometimes do worse almost causing accidents.

Good luck if it ever gets pedestrian friendly :angry:

it's always funny when jackasses make more of an ass of themselves after the first time around...

anyhow, about scooters - less the occasional rainshower, i hear from several acquaintances that they are fun and extremely efficient.

the problwm is, with the "MUVs" and horrid drivers on the road, i would be terrified to drive alongside them...

Edited by sevfiv

• 5 weeks later...

I was at the Galleria and noticed they're putting a "The Oceannaire" restaurant in the Lord & Taylor space. I've been to one in California, it's pretty good, but kinda expensive from what I remember.

Oh, and the empty land next to Lakewood has been cleared and all that, what are they building there, I didn't see any signs. Is it maybe a church expansion?

• 1 month later...

There is also an Oceanaire in the Westin at Galleria Dallas - nice seafood restaurant.

Does anyone know what else is going into the former Lord & Taylor space?

I think the opportunities there are pretty exciting since the location is directly on Westheimer.

Also, any word on the current Macy's space and Galleria III?

• 2 months later...

Barneys CO-OP Houston Store.

Houston Business Journal

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto.../10/story4.html

Here is a quote from the article

"The perception is that Dallas is a more cosmopolitan city and that, consequently, a move to Dallas before Houston is less risky," he says. "Once those same retailers come to Houston, they are consistently surprised at the realization of what a great, great city we have."

Me and my girl are big DG fans, and I'd definately be a customer if they returned to Galleria.

Also, I was checking out what Editor said about Barneys New York. I don't recall ever being in one before, but look forward to checking this one out when I get the chance. And Jeebus, I understand what you're saying.

Barneys CO-OP Houston Store.

Houston Business Journal

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto.../10/story4.html

Here is a quote from the article

"The perception is that Dallas is a more cosmopolitan city and that, consequently, a move to Dallas before Houston is less risky," he says. "Once those same retailers come to Houston, they are consistently surprised at the realization of what a great, great city we have."

Yeah right!! "Dallas more cosmopolitan city" LMAO, True Dallas does get stores before we do but what's the point if they don't even last, just look at what happend to Willow Bend more than half of the stores that first open there were the first in Texas and now they're gone except for D&G. Dallas Galleria sits on a nasty part of the city. Northpark is real nice and does have stores we won't have in Houston anytime soon but the stores are soo small. I think the owners of Northpark just wanted to have a good store line up even if the stores are only big enough to sell socks and underwear. Well I know for sure Barney's CoOp is opening here on April 20 wich I will enjoy, and does eny one know when Bottega Veneta closed its Galleria store?