The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

For a long time there were two Dillard's in Baybrook Mall. I hated it.

Two of anything in one place is one two many...or sometimes, two too many!

The 2 Dillards in Baybrook, and maybe First Colony?, weren't duplicate stores though. Didn't they split out the merchandise so all women's was in one and men's was in the other. I remember it was like that when they first split into 2 stores in one mall. I hated it too.

The 2 Dillards in Baybrook, and maybe First Colony?, weren't duplicate stores though. Didn't they split out the merchandise so all women's was in one and men's was in the other. I remember it was like that when they first split into 2 stores in one mall. I hated it too.

Yes, you are correct. Dillard's has had two stores in a lot of different malls, but they have never been duplicate locations. They split out the departments as you said.

Meaning, It doesn't kill me that D&G (or Dolce & Gabbana) isn't opening up a store in the galleria.

well it kills me , hahaha I wouldn't be surprise if they open up again in The Galleria. Galleria V really let me down I was expecting better stores . give us men a place to shop too .

well it kills me , hahaha I wouldn't be surprise if they open up again in The Galleria. Galleria V really let me down I was expecting better stores . give us men a place to shop too .

There is a galleria 5? Anyways, most of the stores that opened up in Galleria IV, are the ones not unique to the Galleria alone.

May I suggest something? eluxury.com If your looking for something in a specific brand, then I suggest the link above.

There is a galleria 5? Anyways, most of the stores that opened up in Galleria IV, are the ones not unique to the Galleria alone.

May I suggest something? eluxury.com If your looking for something in a specific brand, then I suggest the link above.

the old Lord & Taylor expansion is nicknamed Galleria V by some I'm not sure if its offical though.

And yes as Galleria IV was a mixture of new exclusive stores to Houston and old stores simply relocating , as stores relocated or closed they left room for the real exclusives to open in Galleria I & II.

the old Lord & Taylor expansion is nicknamed Galleria V by some I'm not sure if its offical though.

And yes as Galleria IV was a mixture of new exclusive stores to Houston and old stores simply relocating , as stores relocated or closed they left room for the real exclusives to open in Galleria I & II.

I don't think its official, since the map of the Galleria only includes "I","II","III", and "IV".

• 2 weeks later...
I can't really see anyone but the absolute richest of the rich in Houston supporting this super high-end retail.

Perhaps Houston's overall style is more accommodating of the somewhat less elegant, urban-type boutiques. You know, something like this -->

http://www.stylemaven.com/store_sanfrancis...rocerystore.htm

If you ever venture in any of these stores like LV or Gucci I see very young to very old. Kids like wearing the latest or what's in, trendy styles. I work in Nordstrom and I see kids purchasing $300 and $400 jeans all the time. As well as $1000 hadbags and they are not the richest of the rich.

Is there really a need for a Bloomingdales? I doubt that the local market really would have the demand. It seems that the traditional large anchor department store is somewhat of a dying breed, which explains the exit of Foleys and Lord & Taylor from the Galleria and the closing of the Town & Country Niemans.

Since they already closed the old movie theaters, and because Edwards is so close, I doubt the Galleria will consider building more theaters. It doesn't seem like a great fit with a retail environment.

Bloomingdales would be perfect. I went to the grand opening of the new Bloomingdales in San Francisco Centre. It was absolute madness. Thousands converged into the store. It's the largest outside of New York. It is truely a beautiful store.

• 1 month later...
I know that Neiman Marcus is not owned by Simon, the company that owns the mall. The mall just came out to NM's front door. The same goes for Dillards. A skywalk would be nice, but it is unlikely a common corridor would be built for something that is not really included in the Galleria mall, even though NM is included in the mall directory. NM was built before the Galleria was and the own the land it sits on, not Simon.

Exactly....that's why the floors don't line up.

Exactly....that's why the floors don't line up.

What's going on infront of Neiman Marcus by where Chanel and Tiffany & Co. are ?? Last time I went there was a wall in the middle of the walkway with arrows pointing to Neiman Marcus.

And what's going on by the new expansion a huge chunk of the floor was inside anothere wall (near Bally and Valleriano) ?

Please don't tell me that's going to be "the soft childrens play area" that was mention when that expansion was anounced. It won't be a good fit they're aren't any kid stores near there except for Dylands but that's in the second floor and Disney isn't that close either.

What's going on infront of Neiman Marcus by where Chanel and Tiffany & Co. are ?? Last time I went there was a wall in the middle of the walkway with arrows pointing to Neiman Marcus.

And what's going on by the new expansion a huge chunk of the floor was inside anothere wall (near Bally and Valleriano) ?

Please don't tell me that's going to be "the soft childrens play area" that was mention when that expansion was anounced. It won't be a good fit they're aren't any kid stores near there except for Dylands but that's in the second floor and Disney isn't that close either.

it was some open "bar" looking place. I saw some people selling art there once or twice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Can we say 'pedestrian friendly'?

I really don't get the Galleria. There's the Galleria itself, and the surrounding development around Post Oak - but do people circulate around the area? No. They drive to a destination, then leave.

It's horrible. Am I the only one who notices that crossing Westheimer or Post Oak on foot ranks as an Extreme Sport? Does anyone shop outside the Galleria itself without first getting in their cars and finding other parking spaces a few hundred yards away? To cross a street on foot...well! How bizarre. Get in your car, and hope there's another parking space there, a block away. Unless you're awfully brave....and I don't see very many brave people.

No. Bad as automotive traffic is already, I do hope it becomes worse. Maybe then people will insist on dedicated pedestrian crosswalks. People already walk quite a distance to their cars, and spend time finding parking spaces - couldn't the same time and effort be put to better use by making the whole area more pedestrian friendly? Wouldn't everyone benefit?

I think the nature of the Galleria will always be at odds with perdestiran traffic with the outside world. Mainly, because there is a sense of being surrounded by masses of parking garages, or so it seems. If I had the inlkling to visit other stores outside the galleria, I know it means having to walk through dark garages, that I am never quite certain how to exit. Heck, the galleria is so massive you sometimes feel you are in an enclosed other city, and leaving it is more like a day trip. That, combined with the feeling that, surely, whatever I want or need that day, can be found somewhere inside the Galleria, so that you pretty much decide there is no need to take the day trip outside the city of galleria. I wish there was a pedestrian scene for shopping in that area, because it allready has the critical mass of people who are there for that reason. But when you go to the galleria, I dont feel the urge like I would in say downtown. downtown, for some reason, seems to be begging for pedestrian shopping outside. But that's another topic.

Can we say 'pedestrian friendly'?

I really don't get the Galleria. There's the Galleria itself, and the surrounding development around Post Oak - but do people circulate around the area? No. They drive to a destination, then leave.

It's horrible. Am I the only one who notices that crossing Westheimer or Post Oak on foot ranks as an Extreme Sport? Does anyone shop outside the Galleria itself without first getting in their cars and finding other parking spaces a few hundred yards away? To cross a street on foot...well! How bizarre. Get in your car, and hope there's another parking space there, a block away. Unless you're awfully brave....and I don't see very many brave people.

No. Bad as automotive traffic is already, I do hope it becomes worse. Maybe then people will insist on dedicated pedestrian crosswalks. People already walk quite a distance to their cars, and spend time finding parking spaces - couldn't the same time and effort be put to better use by making the whole area more pedestrian friendly? Wouldn't everyone benefit?

I agree and have always envisioned a sky-bridge from the Galleria across to the Post Oak shopping centers.

• 4 weeks later...
It's a chain, so chances are the it's the same firm.

Not Arch related, but here's some info:

http://www.houstonpress.com/Issues/2006-12...ining/cafe.html

thanks for the link but ive read just about every single bit of info on the place possible, the only strand of information i need at all is who designed the space, nothing less. Thank you for your response though :)

Why don't you just email their HQ and ask?

I really doubt it's a big secret.

info@theoceanaire.com

I'll give it a shot, last time i tried this for other chains i got a snobby response stating that they cant give out thier design information, (genius did not listen carefully to the question, what i asked was WHO designed the space, not what the space was designed with or other information about the specific space) either way ill try that, Thanks

-Daniel