The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

April 9, 2005, 6:45PM

More is more along Houston's 'Designer Dash'

By CLIFFORD PUGH

Houston Chronicle

-------------------

This message has been edited to remove copyrighted material.

Please do not post copyrighted photos or articles from newspapers or magazines. We have already received a warning from the Houston Chronicle, and the legal departments of other publications have visited the site. If you would like to discuss a published article, please summarize the article and provide a link to the original source.

-------------------

Maybe the "design competition" I saw suggested in the Letters section of today's Chronicle can be for that Prada store you want.

We can only hope. Prada has a history of putting up really impressive architecturally stunning buildings that draw tourists just to see them.

Of course, if they just stick it in the mall then it will look like every other store. Might as well be an Orange Julius.

Back to the Galleria.....

Everytime I fly back into town I forget about lil ol Galleria 3 Back there behind Saks lol Is there another way to get to it besides thru saks? It always seem so dead back there or like someone is gonna jump out at you (maybe thats just me)

I like the Going thru Neiman Marcus idea and doing a SkyBridge type situation like the new Expansion what number is that G4?

How bout this its extreme but it could work. Turn all of Neimans into continuous mall retail space have the skybridge going across to the new G5 knock down Dillards Zone D'Smut an Shell, have a T section building situation Dillards,Harvey Nichols,Bloomingdales,Marshall Fields or Barneys ;) and Neiman Marcus's New Store. But I dont know what all you could put in Galleria 5: They almost have everything in the world of retail

G5 Line Up:

Neiman Marcus

Another Large Anchor Store

Prada

Dolce Gabbana or D&G (Im sure Galleria could convince them to come back)

H&M

Virgin Mega Store

Valentino

Hermes(if they dont go back to Wolfes Pavillion Project)

A 4th Armani Store (Already 3 of them why not go for 4 lol)

Charles David

Diesel

Manolo Blahnik

Marc Jacobs

Micheal Kors

Calvin Klein

Lanvin

Etro

Marni

PS: this took me a really long time to think of store lineups lol that mall has damn near everything!

This wouldn't be such a good idea...you're creating a big greenhouse that would bake whatever is in it, or at the very least run up a huge light bill from the 2 billion tons of refrigeration to keep it cool....

Since Houston is so hot, I wish the Galleria would build something like this.  It looks like an outdoor shopping district, because it looks like each store is a seperate building with its own storefront.  This mall is located somewhere in Birmingham England.

BullRing11.jpg

OR...we could build a bridge over 610, and make Galleria 6-10 on the other side! :P

You know what would be a good idea? Why don't they build a couple pedestrian bridge or two over Westiemer, especially since there will be so much urban style living going on at that side of the Galleria area. Or at least develop a pedestrian system Uptown similar to the one by St. John high School (if you've ever been in that area before. You know, it's somewhere near Greenspoint and Montrose. Um, yeah)

I don't think we should worry about the Galleria for too long. As much as I hate malls, it is above many in the country dealing with design and retailers. Regarding the G5 list hopefuly some of those retailers can head to downtown surrounding the Houston Pavilions because that is pretty much happened with Seattle when Pacific Place opened in downtown. I wouldn't put the upscale ones in downtown, but more like Diesel, Vigin Megastore, and H&M.

Yeah I have seen some of the other large east coast malls, and if they do decide to ever expand, its pretty key they don't make any sort of outdoor walkway to get to a new section or use the name for an entirely different complex. The Tyson's Corner Galleria in DC/ Northern VA is basically two different Galleria's, not really in walking distance, one with the more high end (Sak's, Neiman, Macy's), and the other with more mainstream plus Bloomingdale's. Needless to say, the setup is idiotic. Some of the stores like banana republic would have to repeat between the two just in case someone only went to one. Not to mention we complain about the traffic around the Galleria/ Uptown area, but Tyson's Corner is a joke. My sister works by there still and drives for 30-45 minutes to go 8 miles. Ridiculously dumb.

Also, I think King of Prussia in the Philly area is bigger than our Galleria, but also is split into two areas by an outdoor walkway. Again, it makes for a hassle because not everyone knows where the walkway is, weather, inconvenience factor.

I would like to see more built into the Galleria, because there still are some stores we don't have yet (H&M, Diesel, Bloomingdale's etc.) but I think that they are probably concentrating on getting Galleria 3 to stop sucking first. Even without that, I still like the Galleria more than any east coast mall I ever went to. Even if some were high end and had some different stores, I think our Galleria is a very pretty mall.

A little information about the Galleria's happendings. Bloomingdales is coming to the Galleria and is replacing Lord & Taylor.

Galleria 3 is slowing removing its retail stores and replacing them with more upscale restaurants.

Galleria 4 was to be built wilth Galleria 5 over that Church at Alabama and Sage. The Church wouldn't sell to the Galleria. I think the Galleria should work with the Church like the Citicorp tower did in New York City. The Church can stay, but the Parking lot can be replaced with more stores. The parking garage between Foley's and Neimans would be enough as I've only seen it full twice and it was during Christmas season when the entire mall parking lot is full.

A little information about the Galleria's happendings.  Bloomingdales is coming to the Galleria and is replacing Lord & Taylor.

Galleria 3 is slowing removing its retail stores and replacing them with more upscale restaurants.

Galleria 4 was to be built wilth Galleria 5 over that Church at Alabama and Sage.  The Church wouldn't sell to the Galleria.  I think the Galleria should work with the Church like the Citicorp tower did in New York City.  The Church can stay, but the Parking lot can be replaced with more stores.  The parking garage between Foley's and Neimans would be enough as I've only seen it full twice and it was during Christmas season when the entire mall parking lot is full.

What is your source regarding Bloomingdales?

What is your source regarding Bloomingdales?

I do not know the source, but I work with a few people who used to work at the Galleria and their sources told them that Bloomingdales is a defenitely possibility. It makes sense. Lord &Taylor will not be vacant for long. I am not sure if Lord and Taylor owns their building or if Simon owns it.

I've heard it from several head of stores in the Galleria that I know and they heard it from mall management. Nothing is final, but Bloomingdales is really interested in entering the Houston market and thinks that Uptown is a good location. When Lord & Taylor moves out, the location would be a great place to bring in another large department store.

If Bloomingdales for some reason doesn't take the space, I would love for Macy's to move since there location is so isolated from the rest of the mall.

A little information about the Galleria's happendings.  Bloomingdales is coming to the Galleria and is replacing Lord & Taylor.

If thats true what will happen to Foley's when Macy's buys it? There is still an emty space to fill.

Bloomingdales would be a nice addition.  But after all the mergers and acquisitions is there another department store not in the Galleria?  I don't think JC Penney and Sears are Galleria material.  Maybe Harrods ...

I fully agree with this, not too sound too snotty but there are plenty of other malls for those stores to go to. I'm not sure if there are any other large high end ones left. Most big department stores are either May or Federated. I know May had a Strawbridge's store, which I think was slightly higher than Foley's. Basically Lord and Taylor. Still, looking at Mall of Americas and King of Prussia malls, both had a Sears in them. Maybe an Alamo Drafthouse type Movie theatre?