The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

sorry I took so long to respond, the place I used to work at had a storage room in an area of the galleria, and our lease was not going to be renewed on news that they were going to build part of the store there. Manager said the leasing office said abercrombie was putting their fifth concept in there but it may have fell through. Ugh why can't Houston's Galleria have some of the stores that Dallas is getting. I've visited the one up there, it's nice, but the foot traffic doesn't even come close to the one here.

Uggghhh, why do so many Houstonians only notice what Dallas is getting that Houston is not, and not vice versa (which are at least their equal)?

omg the levis store is gone!??!omg

sad , i kmow , but the store was kinda shanky. i spoke to this guy that worked there he said theyre looking for space in the same mall. maybe after Buckle remodels theyll open next to it where "Past and Present" was.

Uggghhh, why do so many Houstonians only notice what Dallas is getting that Houston is not, and not vice versa (which are at least their equal)?

I think that tends to happen because they DO get a lot of things before we do. That is not to say Houston doesn't EVER get anything first but from what I've observed, when many companies enter Texas, they seem to make Dallas the first stop, especially when it comes to 'trendy' things.

And let's face it, in terms of the fashion industry Dallas is a important market for this region, so it seems quite natural that they tend to have the upper hand when it comes to stores. Of course there may be a few stores here or there that Houston has that are not in Dallas, however those few are not enough for Houston to be able to claim any type of shopping advantage over Dallas.

I think that tends to happen because they DO get a lot of things before we do. That is not to say Houston doesn't EVER get anything first but from what I've observed, when many companies enter Texas, they seem to make Dallas the first stop, especially when it comes to 'trendy' things.

And let's face it, in terms of the fashion industry Dallas is a important market for this region, so it seems quite natural that they tend to have the upper hand when it comes to stores. Of course there may be a few stores here or there that Houston has that are not in Dallas, however those few are not enough for Houston to be able to claim any type of shopping advantage over Dallas.

I, frankly, do not believe that any type of "upper hand" exists between the two cities when it comes to fashion. Just because Dallas happens to get a Ruehl no. 925 before Houston does not serve as an indicator. For instance, Houston has:

the only Emporio Armani in Texas,

the only De Beers in Texas,

the only Yves Saint Laurent in the South

the only Fendi in the South,

the only Marc Ecko Cut & Sew in the South,

two True Religion Jeans stores and two Michael Kors stores, after the mall in Cypress...

and tons....more....

So, If you wanna go by label presence, I think Houston holds its own. I definitely think that the fashion seen in Houston is much more edgy, "trendy" and stylish than that of Dallas. Now, that's just my opinion - fashion and style are definitely a matter of taste; and, as someone who loves edgy street fashion, Dallas can't hold a candle to Houston. Now, if you're looking for couture or evening-wear, Dallas holds its own, even though neither city is a fashion powerhouse: only New York can truly claim that status...LA, a distant second.

But, as for my opinion...Houston > Dallas in fashion. Also, remember fashion and shopping are two very different and distinct concepts. Ruehl's clothes are ass, typically Abercrombie wear...nothing special. But, when you hit up the boutiques in the Village or the Trash & Vaudeville-type places in Montrose, it's easy to see why Houston trumps Dallas.

Edited by jesuishouston

I, frankly, do not believe that any type of "upper hand" exists between the two cities when it comes to fashion. Just because Dallas happens to get a Ruehl no. 925 before Houston does not serve as an indicator. For instance, Houston has:

the only Emporio Armani in Texas,

the only De Beers in Texas,

the only Yves Saint Laurent in the South

the only Fendi in the South,

the only Marc Ecko Cut & Sew in the South,

two True Religion Jeans stores and two Michael Kors stores, after the mall in Cypress...

and tons....more....

So, If you wanna go by label presence, I think Houston holds its own. I definitely think that the fashion seen in Houston is much more edgy, "trendy" and stylish than that of Dallas. Now, that's just my opinion - fashion and style are definitely a matter of taste; and, as someone who loves edgy street fashion, Dallas can't hold a candle to Houston. Now, if you're looking for couture or evening-wear, Dallas holds its own, even though neither city is a fashion powerhouse: only New York can truly claim that status...LA, a distant second.

But, as for my opinion...Houston > Dallas in fashion. Also, remember fashion and shopping are two very different and distinct concepts. Ruehl's clothes are ass, typically Abercrombie wear...nothing special. But, when you hit up the boutiques in the Village or the Trash & Vaudeville-type places in Montrose, it's easy to see why Houston trumps Dallas.

but I can't afford Armani, DeBeers, Fendi, etc....haha :P I do understand that Houston has a few great places, but isn't that saying about the grass being greener true? If not, I have no reason to live :P

but I can't afford Armani, DeBeers, Fendi, etc....haha :P I do understand that Houston has a few great places, but isn't that saying about the grass being greener true? If not, I have no reason to live :P

One can argue that high fashion has never been easily attained by the middle class. You can have your Ruehl, Banana, Barney's, whatever you have; but, if you don't know how to put it together, it's as good as nothing. I just feel, from experience, that Houston is more fashion-forward, while Dallas buys what's "trendy"... Again, just a generalization from my experiences...and seeing the people that I hang out with, it may be skewed.

Well Missoni Is Coming to the Galleria. An Just Cavalli is doing a big expanison in the USA I wouldnt be surprised if Dallas & Houston got one soon.

i think someone here said Dallas will get a Roberto Cavalli soon Does anyone know whats opening next to Lalique and Missoni? where Bernini was? and in level 3 where Bag n Baggage was?

i think someone here said Dallas will get a Roberto Cavalli soon Does anyone know whats opening next to Lalique and Missoni? where Bernini was? and in level 3 where Bag n Baggage was?

well i know that houstontrunk factory is moving where bag and baggage because they are the same company, and a new upscale luggage shop from the same company is going where houston trunk is. they are all owned by the bag and baggage company.

• 1 month later...

I just heard that they are building a Valentino were chanel is now and chanel is moving where ysl is. YSL is moving where that old bernni suit shop was right across the hall. There is a lot of action going on in the galleria, does anyone know if any other retail is planning on entering the market.

The old looking part of the Galleria, I think Galleria III needs a major make over. The Macy's is very old and I can now see that since there are two and I can compare them. I think the old Macy's is very close to closing. Hopefully an upscale department store or mixed use development can go there.

The new Macy's was a Foley's before.

Macy's. I don't know anyone who shops its Galleria location. Its old and worn and smells of suburbia.

I just heard that they are building a Valentino were chanel is now and chanel is moving where ysl is. YSL is moving where that old bernni suit shop was right across the hall. There is a lot of action going on in the galleria, does anyone know if any other retail is planning on entering the market.

Valentino just announced that he was going to retire. He wants to go out at the top of his game. I haven't heard if he's turning over his line to another designer, but I would assume not.

The new Macy's was a Foley's before.

Yes, the Macy's in Galleria IV (the part South of West Alabama Street) was a Foley's when it was built.

Macy's. I don't know anyone who shops its Galleria location. Its old and worn and smells of suburbia.

You're referring to the Macy's in Galleria III. It is old and worn and was in need of renovation before Macy's took over the Galleria Foley's.

I still don't understand why Macy's insists on keeping both Galleria stores. Not only is the one in Galleria III in dire need of an upgrade, it's a pain to get to. The larger, newer, and MUCH nicer Galleria IV Macy's (the old Foley's) gets a lot more traffic, and is far more visible.

Turn the Macy's in Galleria III into a Bloomingdales. Also, why doesn't the entire Galleria complex get renovated to all look the same and be cohesive? Instead you have old and new parts of the mall. That is one thing I like about Northpark in Dallas. The entire mall looks the same.

Turn the Macy's in Galleria III into a Bloomingdales. Also, why doesn't the entire Galleria complex get renovated to all look the same and be cohesive? Instead you have old and new parts of the mall. That is one thing I like about Northpark in Dallas. The entire mall looks the same.

And I like that the Galleria in Houston doesn't look all the same. Same is boring. I think they should accentuate the differences and make Galleria I as disco swank as possible. They should dig up some photos of Kenneth Schnitzer's Summit Suite for inspiration.

And I like that the Galleria in Houston doesn't look all the same. Same is boring. I think they should accentuate the differences and make Galleria I as disco swank as possible. They should dig up some photos of Kenneth Schnitzer's Summit Suite for inspiration.

That cracks me up. :lol: I love Galleria 1. I remember the Bennigans used to be a total party place in the 80s for christmas shoppers who had dropped off. Meat market supreme. The last time I was there, people still cruised the rink. Kenneth Schnitzer, heh! Do you think many people remember?

When I was wee, we would occasionally get treated to a meal at El Fenix. They had the best chile rellenos ever. All that 70's spanish-galleon decor thing going on, white tableclothes too.

Edited by crunchtastic

wait if anything i would assume Valentino will open where YSL is, because both Valentino and YSL are own by Gucci. Chanel is a total seperate company, and Chanel is almost 10,000 sq ft , moving to YSL space would downsize them. Disney was suppose to move near Nordstrom but nothing has happened yet. I have no clue where Billy Reid will open, but we dont need Billy Reid, we need Ermenegildo Zegna.

To each his own. I hate that about any place I go to (school, Galleria, etc.).

I wonder if they'll ever build that rumored Galleria 5. Seems like they might not need to, with BLVD Place going up and also River Oaks District. Although I'm sure retailers would rather get space in the Galleria, it's like the Holy Land or something.

Also, the old Galleria 3 Macys, maybe they could turn in into an Angelica like movie theater. I know both Edwards are nearby, but with all the condos coming to Uptown, I think a theater in the Galleria will be fine. And then for the rest of the space in Galleria 3, just turn them into more restaurants I guess. Galleria 3 is just awkward, you have to go through Saks to get to it, and so many people get to Saks and think they are at the end, they don't know Galleria 3 is on the other side. It's no man's land over there.

Is the Galleria ever going to get a Diesel?

I'm not sure about disco swank, but I do kind of like it when structures have sections in multiple styles. IAH is a great example, where each terminal has a distinctive look.

:lol:

Northpark has a kind of timeless class, cleanness, and best of all, it's got lines like nowhere else that I know of. Still, it doesn't even come close to rivaling the Houston Galleria for sheer size and grandeur.

The only unfortunate thing about either is that they don't have any stores that I could bring myself to open my wallet for. I'm just not yuppie enough.