The Galleria Mall At 5085 Westheimer Rd.

QUOTE(houstonsemipro @ Sunday, May 7th, 2006 @ 7:11pm) *
Everything in one, retail, eatery, residental, and a cinema? I vote YES! For a cinema. Look at the world's largest mall, they have a cinema inside. What makes the galleria so different?

And the worlds largest mall is also a white trash mecca. There is a SEARS for gods sakes. Not quite the image the Galleria wants. NO CINEMAS.

the largest mall(s) are in china buddy...i dunno, are there sears/lots of trashy white people in donggsan?

seriously though, what about one of those artsy movie theaters? that would be something new and it wouldnt attract lots of spoiled 14 yr olds with credit cards...

Edited by zaphod

311xInlineGallery.jpg

Aug. 1, 2006, 11:32AM

RETAIL RENAISSANCE

More shopping is on Galleria menu

Eateries add new appeal to business spaces

By TARA DOOLEY

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

In a spot where dresses, shoes and handbags once helped lure shoppers into the Galleria, mall owners will soon rely largely on food to draw visitors from around Houston and the world.

J. Crew will open today in part of the space left vacant since Lord & Taylor closed in January 2005. The 100,000 square feet that once housed the department store on the Westheimer side of the Galleria will now offer goods from specialty shops and three restaurants.

The Galleria currently has 35 restaurants including upscale eateries in department stores and fast food options in the food court, Hascher said. But the property includes a hotel that draws convention visitors. Of the Galleria's 24 million shoppers annually, 28 percent arrive from outside Houston for shopping vacations. Of that group, 27 percent come from Mexico, Hascher said. The new restaurants will help keep these visitors at the mall for a meal as well as offer a place for corporate functions, she said.

More.

It would be nice if all the structures on the western half of the block Galleria IV is on were not there, and perhaps on the vacant lot west of it. (surrounded by W. Alabama, Hidalgo, S. Rice, & Sage).

Then perhaps with better design and planning they could have had the Galleria IV expansion cover the entire block its on now. (Hidalgo, McCue, W. Alabama, & Sage). Also with better parking & access, they could have changed the "main part" or "center" of the Galleria from the original to Galleria II & III. -perhaps by combining the two, to cover then entire block as well. It would be easier for shoppers to go to all parts of the Galleria, instead of just sticking to the Ice Rink.

Did they not ever try to make a deal of some sort with Dillard's? Perhaps having the Mall expand over Post Oak Blvd., maybe extend the glass atrium all the way to the west loop? (well, perhaps not through Neiman Marcus, but connecting to Dillards).

And the big drawing they have in Galleria II, on the north side (opposite Galleria IV.), the one that gives me hope about them expanding a little bit... are there plans for that?

They should tear it down and start all over. Perhaps with the store fronts closer to the roads, with underground parking... but really underground, not just 2 levels.

It seems the expansions are only temporary (atleast II & III). And maybe still going along with the original 70's mentality.

Micheal Kors will be coming to the Galleria in 2007 its in the latest Texas Monthly issue.

SWEET! can you post that article? RUEHL No. 925 has alredy assigned a store number for a Houston The Galleria location, Custo Barcelona is supposed to open in The Galleria by 2007 but I don't know where I was thinking in the new Lord & Taylor expansion. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Ermenegildo Zegna, Porsche Design, Hugo Boss, or Diesel.

Edited by JJ18

It would be nice if all the structures on the western half of the block Galleria IV is on were not there, and perhaps on the vacant lot west of it. (surrounded by W. Alabama, Hidalgo, S. Rice, & Sage).

Then perhaps with better design and planning they could have had the Galleria IV expansion cover the entire block its on now. (Hidalgo, McCue, W. Alabama, & Sage). Also with better parking & access, they could have changed the "main part" or "center" of the Galleria from the original to Galleria II & III. -perhaps by combining the two, to cover then entire block as well. It would be easier for shoppers to go to all parts of the Galleria, instead of just sticking to the Ice Rink.

I think all the condo owners at the Oxford would object.

Did they not ever try to make a deal of some sort with Dillard's? Perhaps having the Mall expand over Post Oak Blvd., maybe extend the glass atrium all the way to the west loop? (well, perhaps not through Neiman Marcus, but connecting to Dillards).

Neiman Marcus is independant of the mall, (the mall actually built up to the NM building, which used to be free standing back in the day) It would have to be a deal between NM and Dillards, not Simon (the mall owners) and Dillards.

And the big drawing they have in Galleria II, on the north side (opposite Galleria IV.), the one that gives me hope about them expanding a little bit... are there plans for that?

Can you explain this more. Does it expand into Halbouty building across the street?

They should tear it down and start all over. Perhaps with the store fronts closer to the roads, with underground parking... but really underground, not just 2 levels.

They would need a liftstation for that deep of a garage with all the flood issues Houston has..

I think all the condo owners at the Oxford would object.

Neiman Marcus is independant of the mall, (the mall actually built up to the NM building, which used to be free standing back in the day) It would have to be a deal between NM and Dillards, not Simon (the mall owners) and Dillards.

Can you explain this more. Does it expand into Halbouty building across the street?

They would need a liftstation for that deep of a garage with all the flood issues Houston has..

The picture is on the north side of Galleria II, where Sunglass Hut, Buckle, and other stores are. It looks "3-D" and has a few stores and a big store at the end of it. Galleria II is the Office Building with the Black Glass Facade with alot of open-air space. Including balconies with the businesses (that makes it look more like a hotel then anything) with Elevators, and that Huge American Flag.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read that Federated plans to keep both Macy's stores open in the Houston Galleria.

Does anyone know how they might be differentiated? (e.g. one men's/one women's, one high end/one mid-range, duplicate stores, etc.)

Demand is definitely strong for a large "store" there, but it will be interesting to see how it is distributed across the two spaces.

I have read that Federated plans to keep both Macy's stores open in the Houston Galleria.

Does anyone know how they might be differentiated? (e.g. one men's/one women's, one high end/one mid-range, duplicate stores, etc.)

Demand is definitely strong for a large "store" there, but it will be interesting to see how it is distributed across the two spaces.

Apparently, they are going to operate duplicate stores, each having mens, womens, etc etc. I understand that only the current Foley's building will have furniture, other than that pretty much duplicate stores.

It seems a little odd. Having duplicate stores doesn't seem like it would make sense for the long term. Here's my guess/hope of what's going on: Perhaps they are still considering bringing a Bloomingdale's into the current Macy's building; therefore they don't want to give up the building and so they'll just operate it as a Macy's for a while...

Apparently, they are going to operate duplicate stores, each having mens, womens, etc etc. I understand that only the current Foley's building will have furniture, other than that pretty much duplicate stores.

It seems a little odd. Having duplicate stores doesn't seem like it would make sense for the long term. Here's my guess/hope of what's going on: Perhaps they are still considering bringing a Bloomingdale's into the current Macy's building; therefore they don't want to give up the building and so they'll just operate it as a Macy's for a while...

That's what I was thinking exacly, two Macy's in one mall doesn't make sense, I think May Co. will surprise us all soon if they endup opening a Bloomingdale's in the Galleria, after all they are going to get rid of Houston based Foleys

I heard a commercial today talking about a new megastore going up at the new Galleria 5. I questioning how could there be a Galleria 5? How could I have not heard about this and where'd they build this? They just completed Galleria 3. It's not time for 5.

I heard a commercial today talking about a new megastore going up at the new Galleria 5. I questioning how could there be a Galleria 5? How could I have not heard about this and where'd they build this? They just completed Galleria 3. It's not time for 5.

Galleria 4 is the Foley's/Nordstrom addition finished about 3 yrs ago. Galleria 3 added the Macy's store in the 80's

the Sony Style store

That is funny that you mentioned the Sony Style store. Allthough their products may be upscale, their employees are nothing more than what you might find at a Best Buy or Circuit City...a bit on the ghetto side. The Sony Style stores actually do a diservice to their products intended upscale audience.

And once again MiDTOWNeR creeps out to provide such great commentary on why the state of new jersey is really an underrated source of well spoken people and a jewel in the mind of people everywhere. That and also taking away the crown of most negative person from houstonsemipro.

Where does this new jersey reference come from? It's like you remember one or two references of New JErsey in my posts and assume that I think New Jersey is great or something. Nothing could be further from the truth. New Jersey is not the only other place in which I have lived outside of Houston. And I RARELY hold up New Jersey as a example of what Houston should hope to be like. It is unfortunate how similar the two places really are actually.

I am a West Coast Dude and think West is Best!

Edited by MiDTOWNeR

Miss Sixty and Energie are opening , soo happy to know this because I like Energie jeans. I'm still waitting on a Diesel and Original Penguin store !! if I were in charge I would get rid of most tendants in Galleria III and open worth shopping at stores . A Macys has to go its pointless having two, we need Bloomingdale's or a full Barney's.

Just because they don't want to go home with you doesn't mean they're ugly. In fact, it probably means you either have bad taste or you're just jealous.

Houston boys are HOT!

Dallas and Austin have the boyz. Houston is where the men are. Get hot or get out. Isn't that our motto? No ugly boys in Austin or Dallas ..... pleeeeezzzzzz..... oh yeah ..... but Ripcord will cool you off. ;)

Bloomingdales would definitely make it in Houston. Sorry it fizzled in dallas. :lol:

That is funny that you mentioned the Sony Style store. Allthough their products may be upscale, their employees are nothing more than what you might find at a Best Buy or Circuit City...a bit on the ghetto side. The Sony Style stores actually do a diservice to their products intended upscale audience.

Where does this new jersey reference come from? It's like you remember one or two references of New JErsey in my posts and assume that I think New Jersey is great or something. Nothing could be further from the truth. New Jersey is not the only other place in which I have lived outside of Houston. And I RARELY hold up New Jersey as a example of what Houston should hope to be like. It is unfortunate how similar the two places really are actually.

I am a West Coast Dude and think West is Best!

A one-way ticket for you ....... care!!!!!! -_-

Edited by houstonfella

Miss Sixty and Energie are opening , soo happy to know this because I like Energie jeans. I'm still waitting on a Diesel and Original Penguin store !! if I were in charge I would get rid of most tendants in Galleria III and open worth shopping at stores . A Macys has to go its pointless having two, we need Bloomingdale's or a full Barney's.

There was a pretty good sized Barney's near Neiman-Marcus in Galleria I several years ago. Somehow, Houstonians didn't take to it, so it closed. Bloomies would probably do quite well in The Galleria.

Dallas and Austin have the boyz. Houston is where the men are. Get hot or get out. Isn't that our motto? No ugly boys in Austin or Dallas ..... pleeeeezzzzzz..... oh yeah ..... but Ripcord will cool you off. ;)

Bloomingdales would definitely make it in Houston. Sorry it fizzled in dallas. :lol:

A one-way ticket for you ....... care!!!!!! -_-

Heaven forbid someone prefers something to Houston.

There was a pretty good sized Barney's near Neiman-Marcus in Galleria I several years ago. Somehow, Houstonians didn't take to it, so it closed. Bloomies would probably do quite well in The Galleria.

Barney's opened stores in Houston and Dallas roughly at the same time some years back. And closed both at roughly the same time. I think it had more to do with Barney's having over-expanded and put itself into bankruptcy, and nearly out of business, than with Houston or Dallas not taking to their stores.

Well, a full-scale Barney's is returning to Dallas, imminently opening at NorthPark (where there was one before, which closed under circumstances similar to the Houston one). Maybe they will return to Houston as well, because the Co-Op we have in the Galleria now is the epitome of unimpressive.

We are Getting Energie And Miss Sixty In Houston i know the one in Dallas is opening soon where are they in the Galleria? Is the sign up yet?

I want Sisley,D&G,Cavalli to open in the Galleria

It was rumored H&M were coming here I dont know if that is true

We are Getting Energie And Miss Sixty In Houston i know the one in Dallas is opening soon where are they in the Galleria? Is the sign up yet?

I want Sisley,D&G,Cavalli to open in the Galleria

It was rumored H&M were coming here I dont know if that is true

Missy Sixty / Energie have been open in Northpark (Dallas) for quite a while, its a nice store. I love ENERGIE Jeans!,

I haven't seen a storefront sign yet, but I think they're opening near Puma. on the second floor of The Galleria I.

I know I want a D&G store tooo!! Plano TX doesn't need it !! we do !, well here's a list of stores I would like to see open

Porsche Design

Vans

Ermenegildo Zegna

Diesel

Juicy Couture

Boss Hugo Boss

Paul Frank

Original Penguin

Bloomingdale's

I herd these stores are planning to open

H&M

Michael Kors

Custo Barcelona

Valentino

Ruehl No. 925

Dolce & Gabbana

Escada

PRADA!!!!! - Yes PRADA I read it a while back in Papercity , wich also included Dolce & Gabbana, Valentino, and Escada.

Edited by JJ18