HAIF - Houston's original social media

Galleria Expansion, Ritz Carlton Hotel & Residences at Sage / W. Alabama

I am now living in Los Angeles, but on a recent trip to Houston, I saw the difference in retail outlets in the Galleria and even Highland Village. Both places have gotten pretty big chains and specialty stores, like Burberry, Dior, Bose, Jimmy Choo, and Luca Luca.

Although most people don't care for this, since it is outside of most people's reach, I work in this industry, doing marketing for luxury brands, and I know that stores moving into a city at this pace signifies growth and confidence that the city is chic enough and diversified enough to open shop. In Houston, there have been 13 store openeings of a high caliber, those found in Rodeo Dr or 5th Ave. 10 years ago, that would have been impossible, I think that Houston is on the ap like never before.

But those are just my thoughts. Though it is not the architecture phenomenon we all wish for, at least people visiting---for pleasure or business---will see the Gucci store or the Sony Style store and not feel that they are in a country town with big freeways. Not to up-play it, but this type of thing makes a difference when producers look for a city to host a show in, like the REAL WORLD or and awards show. It puts us on the cultural map.

What do you guys think?

Treader

• Like 2
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New page could use a refresher of the proposed highrise hotel/condo building back in 2016.  This is at the corner of Sage & W. Alabama. https://houston.culturemap.com/news/real-estate/04-06-1

It's really easier to just keep walking.

The bottom floor from Nordstrom to Banana Republic is a gypsy market. "Have you heard of the Dead Sea in Israel"? "you must try this product"! "Excuse me, SIR, yes, you, come this way I'll show you my

Posted Images

Well Houston has always had stores, I can remember Gucci, and many others. To say recently, because of the new extension of the Galleria, there is more variety of luxury stores. Even "Hip Stores" Like Urban Outfitters have 3 locations around town, in the Galleria, Rice Village, and the Woodlands. I am glad to see more of them pop up everywhere, in-cluding the Galleria. I do like some of the new stores, but mostly not, because most appeal to the female crowd. But knowing people with (just a little bit of) money have more of a variety, is very nice indeed.

• Like 1

I was at the Galleria yesterday, and when I went to the Galleria III I saw a sign on that platform in the middle of the wing that said "Please pardon our dust as we prepare to renovate this area". Does anybody know what that's supposed to mean? Are they gonna renovate the whole Galleria III like they did the rest of the mall?? I really hope so.. that part of the mall is UGLY! lol Even though it is nice and quiet there..

• Like 1
Not to up-play it, but this type of thing makes a difference when producers look for a city to host a show in, like the REAL WORLD or and awards show.  It puts us on the cultural map.

Exactly TreaderCRC, I agree completely. Things like that do indeed make a difference in the overall image of a city. That was the point I was trying to make in a previous thread with regard to Virgin Record Stores in downtown, professional sports teams, etc. There are certain stores and amenities that cities of our size are expected to have and when visitors and business people don't find them, it can hurt the cities image to a degree. I'm not saying a Virgin Records will "put Houston on the map", but those types of things can add to a city's image and image can mean a lot.

I also have noticed the large amount of high end retail that has entered the Houston market over the past couple of years and hope it continues. I never shop at those places but I love what they do for the city's image considering the "oil soaked country bumkin' cowtown" image Houston seems to continue to have with so many people.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I love it. I love seeing Hermes, Chanel, Cole Haan, Louis Vitton, Versace and others in Houston. I took some out of town friends over to Highland Village and the Uptown area to shop and look around. We rode through River Oaks looking at all the beautiful homes. We traveled all over town, especially in the inner loop areas. My two friends were from Atlanta and Washington D.C. They were truely impressed. They were totally mezzmorized by Houston. They really were shocked. They loved it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The last time I went to the Galleria, there was a Ralph Lauren billboard to the right of the Ralph Lauren store saying opening some time soon. Is the Ralph Lauren store expanding? Almost every major city has a main Ralph Lauren store, and they are pretty huge. I always thought the one in the Galleria was pretty small compared to other cities.

• Like 1
The last time I went to the Galleria, there was a Ralph Lauren billboard to the right of the Ralph Lauren store saying opening some time soon.  Is the Ralph Lauren store expanding?  Almost every major city has a main Ralph Lauren store, and they are pretty huge.  I always thought the one in the Galleria was pretty small compared to other cities.

they probably are expanding becuase the store is pretty small by RL standards. I'd expect it to be 7,500 to 10,000 square feet when it reopens. Dallas has a Polo store, RL in Highland Park Village and soon another store in Northpark. I think the global store template is around 15,000 to 20,000 sq ft.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any info on the new Galleria stores opening up soon? I heard there was a Carolina Herrera store, a Michael Kors store, and also a Sean John store? I live in L.A. and I am writing an article about the Houston cultural change and this is a part of my article. If anyone has any info that would help me out. Also, what is gonna happen to the Lord and Taylor spot?

• Like 1
Does anyone have any info on the new Galleria stores opening up soon?  I heard there was a Carolina Herrera store, a Michael Kors store, and also a Sean John store?  I live in L.A. and I am writing an article about the Houston cultural change and this is a part of my article.  If anyone has any info that would help me out.  Also, what is gonna happen to the Lord and Taylor spot?

Some new stores I know of coming inside the Galleria are Aeropostale, David Yurman, Fox Sports Grill, Victoria Secret Beauty(don't know the difference from the other one in the Galleria), and Ylang-Ylang.

They have not specified where they are going to put Sean John. More than likely it will be in the Galleria by next year. They are looking for an area in Houston where there is 100,000 people in a 5 mile radius and the income of the families in the area are very high. With that said, it will probably be located in the Galleria or some area in Uptown.

• Like 1
I just don't see Sean John catching on in Houston.

What? Sean John is so Houston---like any other urban area, it will definately be a hit. Now if you were to say Dolce&Gabbana, now that is a harder sell to a conservative city like Houston.

Any news about the Carolina Herrera store? I know that the Galleria website has job postings for the brand, but I don't know anything further.

• Like 1
I dunno.  I think Houston has its own style, and not sure if he's it.

Then again, I have only seen the Sean Jean at Foley's and in GQ.

Yeah, and what they sell is the sportswear. It is kind of like Ralph Lauren, all you see is the cheap spotswear in stores like Foley's or Dillard's, but you don't get to see the apparel that can be compared to designers such as Gucci or Prada. The same can be said about Sean John, and I think this is what his new stores are more focused on.

• Like 1

2112, I think TreaderCRC meant compared to most other major American cities, Houston is indeed conservative. It's not the Most conservative, but definitely one of the most conservative. There are exceptions such as Dallas, Salt Lake City and Nashville, but overall Houston would be considered conservative when we are talking American cities.

2112, I think TreaderCRC meant compared to most other major American cities, Houston is indeed conservative. It's not the Most conservative, but definitely one of the most conservative. There are exceptions such as Dallas, Salt Lake City and Nashville, but overall Houston would be considered conservative when we are talking American cities.

I guess it's the "overall Houston would be considered conservative" I have a problem with; it just seems to proclaim the stereotype, whether its reall or not. Maybe it is. But there are so many ways to measure the idea.

I

OK. Its time I mentioned something I heard during the All-Star game. I was walking around Main Street during one of the big block parties, and I was next to a guy from who knows where. But what was interesting was his conversation on the phone to, I presume, a buddy of his somewhere not in Houston, because he was saying something like:

Anyways, I guess it depends on what you are talking about. I know that in the Hispanic community, when it comes to their party allegiance, it is largely liberal and consistently votes democratic. If we are talking about something as different as how women dress, then I would submit that Houston has some of the most awesome and liberal styles around: I remember on my last two trips to NYC, one in June and the other in July...I hardly saw any women wearing mini skirts, short dresses, and in general, hardly any highly arousing and revealing apparel. Maybe its because I am Hispanic and I am used to beautiful, non-pretentious Hispanic women wearing gorgeous sexy clothing and leaving only a little to the imagination. From this perspective, the New York women seemed snooty and conservatively dressed. But again, that
this is true.  i was at a wedding in a gallery off of n. main this summer.  the bride and groom were from new york.  the relatives of the groom wanted to know why there were so many prostitutes walking the streets here in houston.  they weren't trying to be funny, it was sadly/truly their perception of the way young women dress here to go out.  ;)   i was LMAO, and a bit embarrassed.

So they are not ashamed of being a woman and showing it. And I know most guys love it. So I dont understand what the problem is? It's kinda offensive when people that are not used to it, will just proclaim our women as prostitutes. Ive seen it several times also.

Its also cultural, I think. The Latin influence plays a big part, probably.

There's nothing wrong with it, unless your a nun or something I guess.

this is true.  i was at a wedding in a gallery off of n. main this summer.  the bride and groom were from new york.  the relatives of the groom wanted to know why there were so many prostitutes walking the streets here in houston.  they weren't trying to be funny, it was sadly/truly their perception of the way young women dress here to go out.  ;)   i was LMAO, and a bit embarrassed.

I'd have to agree with everyone, the women here are probibly the most attractive then some other cities. Maybe thats why were Strip Club Capital USA! (you can be proud and loud, or ashamed and discreet).

LA, NYC, Milan, Paris (etc) have always been known for there High-Fashion sencibility, but who really sees the clothes they wear on the run-way, when your doing about your everyday life?

Houston has many stores with "hip" clothing, or the lastest trends, but what is distinctivly Houston apperal? I think its just about everything. And the Galleria opening up new stores only throws more flavor (for lack of a better word) into the mix.

I'd have to agree with everyone, the women here are probibly the most attractive then some other cities. Maybe thats why were Strip Club Capital USA! (you can be proud and loud, or ashamed and discreet).

LA, NYC, Milan, Paris (etc) have always been known for there High-Fashion sencibility, but who really sees the clothes they wear on the run-way, when your doing about your everyday life?

Houston has many stores with "hip" clothing, or the lastest trends, but what is distinctivly Houston apperal? I think its just about everything. And the Galleria opening up new stores only throws more flavor (for lack of a better word) into the mix.

Wow, I didn't know that this thread would start such a discussion!

First, I would like to say that Sean Jean is divided between the cheap urban-style line and the newer, ridiculously more expensive couture line, so in that case, it will definately appeal to Houston residents, especially those shopping in the Galleiia and visitors as well.

Second, L.A. and New York have much better looking women, with an emphasis on L.A. Think about one thing, most of the most beautiful women (and men for that matter), if they know that this is a major quality in them, will seek out places where they can gain from this--whether it be to become actors, models, or entertainers, the place to do it is L.A. or NYC. If any of you have been to L.A., it is craiwling with lovelies like you have never seen. Houston doesn't compare--and I love Houston and know there is good looking people, but please, most are overwieght and don't dress well at all. For whatever its worth, a girl looks hotter in a pair of Seven Jeans and a Cavalli top than in Levi's and a Gap shirt. Statistically speaking, Houston has more discounted clothing stores than L.A. or New York, mainly because of demand.

In short, people in L.A. and NYC dress more fashionably and sophisticatedly than Houston (which I love), but does not mean that they dress hotter, which is another way to go. In time, Houston will be more fashion and aesthetically forward, but it is still young and coming into its own.

Lastly, Hispanis in all of Texas are increasingly REPUBLICAN, mostly voting for Bush in the last election (GO BUSH!!) and voting Republican more consistently in the last several decades. Further, in the Hisoanic Americans are more likely split when it comes to voting for the 2 parties---in Florida, the Cuban vote Rep., in CAlifornia, it is the Democrats who win, as well as NYC Hispanics, who vote Democratic. As for conservatism, Hispanics are overwhelmingly so, casting family values, marriege, and negative opinions on gay marriage as top priorities.

Sorry for the verbal vomit, thanks for reading!

TreaderCRC,

As a wise person once said, "New York is as much 'All in the Family' as it is 'Sex in the City'."

I think you're giving New York way too much credit. Sure, the beautiful people concentrate in cetain areas, but it's a pretty big place, with some pretty freak people, just like everywhere else.

And Puff Gun J Lo Daddy can hang it up. That couture won't fly in Houston, for many of the reasons you just listed.

Print It

articlepicMace.jpg

Didnt they just fix up the walls and stuff? They used to be solid half walls, and they replaced them with glass, I think...

I just don't understand putting the Fox Sport place in there . . . I don't know whether to blame the Galleria or the chain. Given that the Rainforest Cafe also opened and closed its Galleria location, I just have this feeling that the Galleria marketing crew goes in and frightens these marquis chains away from any more interesting part of town. BTW, they must seriously cover up the parking issues involved with the Galleria generally . . .

The Galleria is free to market itself however it wants, but I seriously doubt the Fox Sports Grill can be huge success in that location.

Rainforest cafe near the galleria? Where you getting your info? Galleria never had a rainforest cafe. The only three locations in texas is houston-katy mills mall, galveston island, tx, and dallas-grapevine mills. Besides, thats the best location is galleria cause it stays jumping, and crowded.

They are confusing Rain Forest Cafe with the late Planet Hollywood which was located in the Galleria. That awful place went out of business worldwide. It was not the Galleria'a fault.

By the way, I've never understood people's complaints about parking at the Galleria. I never have a problem parking there. It is surrounded by parking garages. There are dozens of entrances and exits from those garages. There are at least 5 places to valet park if that's your thing. Almost all of the parking is protected from the rain and the heat. And it's all free, except for valet. What's the problem.

I've often wondered why Simon never renovated Galleria III with the rest of the mall a year or two ago. I'm glad it's finally happening, as that section of the mall was in horrible shape, and the renovations to the rest of the mall just made Galleria III look that much worse in comparison.

Now if Macy's will just do a renovation to their store. Maybe it's just me, but I find the interior of that store to be so unappealing I can't stand shopping in there.

• 1 month later...

I've been to LA and I really didn't think the girls there were that attractive or cosmopolitan. Sure, there are some good looking people there, but on average it's nothing to write home about.

And I really wouldn't feel like Houston is missing anything by not having its own Real World or awards show. Out of all of the cities whose names have been thrown around on this site, Los Angeles is the last one Houston should aspire to become like.

TreaderCRC,

As a wise person once said, "New York is as much 'All in the Family' as it is 'Sex in the City'."

I think you're giving New York way too much credit.  Sure, the beautiful people concentrate in cetain areas, but it's a pretty big place, with some pretty freak people, just like everywhere else.

And Puff Gun J Lo Daddy can hang it up.  That couture won't fly in Houston, for many of the reasons you just listed.

Print It

articlepicMace.jpg

The Sean John Couture line has won incredible reviews from every major fashion critic in the last few years, icluding last year's Designer of the Year. Most people, and I'm assuming that includes most people on this thread have never seen any of it in person. You won't find it at Foley's! It is a very sophisticated line of clothing that has NOTHING to do with the hiphop sportwear that you see at department stores. It also cost a fortune, say $3,000 for a typical jacket, like all couture does. If you don't know the difference between Armani A/X and Giorgio Armani Black Lable or the difference between Polo and Ralph Lauren Purple Label, then you just don't understand.

To suggest that "couture won't fly in Houston" is to reveal a complete ignorance of the significance of couture in Houston, and the importance to the fashion industry of the buyers of couture in Houston. I suppose names like Lynn Wyatt, Becca Cason Thrash, Diane Farb, Caroline Farb, Frann Lichtenstein, etc. etc. mean nothing to you, but these are just a few of the hundreds of Houston women who buy couture. These people spend well into six figures on couture evey year, some of them every season. It may not matter to you or anyone that you associate with, but couture does "fly" in Houston.

• Highrise Tower changed the title to Galleria Expansion, Ritz Carlton Hotel & Residences at Sage / W. Alabama