Houston sightings

editor

• 3 months later...

I've got two today...

The first is from The Onion: "No One Can Remember Seeing Houston Astros For At Least A Week"... http://www.theonion.com/articles/no-one-can-remember-seeing-houston-astros-for-at-l,28015/

The second is from a 1999 Bollywood film called Sirf Tum, during a song-and-dance routine called Dilbar Dilbar. The clips feature the Niels/Mellie Esperson Building, Tranquility Park, and the Waterwall (there's also another shot at around 4:18, but I can't tell from where)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMo-hhBdHtI

• 2 weeks later...

I saw three today.

Two different Hyundai commercials. One filmed on Smith Street, and the other on the East Freeway.

And there's a Men's Warehouse commercial where busy commuters in suits get off a light rail train, and it's clearly Houston Metro's Red Line.

The latest Lipton Iced Tea commercial has Lady Antebellum and they are playing at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Watch for it!

There is another one with them, their bus breaks down on Allen Parkway, and they get out into that historical park infront of Heritage Plaza.

• 4 weeks later...

Houston: The Rushmore School

by Kyle Ryan June 11, 2012

http://www.avclub.co...e-school,80949/

When we filmed the first season of Pop Pilgrims last year, we selected cities and picked three locations from each. I couldn’t make much of a case for Houston, and anyway, we had a great Wes Anderson location in New York with the Royal Tenenbaums house. This year, we let the locations, not the city, guide us, and considering what big fans we are of Wes Anderson here at The A.V. Club, it was easy to pick Houston and St. John’s. (I still haven’t received a citation from the city for bringing in literally dozens of production dollars.)

That wasn’t the only serendipitous part of Rushmore’s production. The crew distributed flyers at homes in the West University neighborhood, looking for a location for Rosemary Cross’ house.

• 3 months later...

Here's one of those list things for your amusement...

Not only does Forbes think we're the coolest city (because, of course, Forbes defines cool), but Forbes has named Lower Westheimer as one of the top Hipster Neighborhoods in the U.S.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mhj45jmeh/20-lower-westheimer-houston-texas-2/#gallerycontent

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/David%20Landsel/10-terribly-overrated-destinations_b_3030348.html  

10 Terribly Overrated Destinations (And Where To Travel Instead

And, coming in at #1 as to where to travel instead: Houston over Austin! Sure to cause some controversy, but still it's nice to be noticed.

Really good article. My question is though, when does Houston reach the level of a tier 1 type city as the article describes, become less affordable and therefore stagnant?

Probably not in our lifetimes. Houston has room to grow, literally, in all directions so that will work to keep housing costs down in the overall metro. The core may slowly rise in cost, but not to the extent that more geographic-bound cities like NYC or San Francisco will. I think the point of the article is that the paradigm for tier 1 cities is changing and Houston is the future.

Slightly off topic, as this is a Dallas sighting, not a Houston sighting...

But Dallas is dumping a metric assload of money into its tourism budget this year.  In Chicago, there are huge visit Dallas ads on the bus shelters, downtown information signs, subways, and transit buses.  They've even splashed out for bus wraps of the double-decker tour buses.  

Unfortunately, the ads themselves are unremarkable except for their frequency.  I couldn't find any of the actual ads online, but this is pretty close:

420563167_640.jpg

They were at least smart enough to run their tourism ads right after TNT did a big splash for its Dallas TV show.

Let's hope that if Houston ever gets serious about tourism advertising it doesn't choose a photograph featuring a traffic jam, a flooded bayou and a smog-shrouded skyline like Dallas did above.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, as this is a Dallas sighting, not a Houston sighting...

But Dallas is dumping a metric assload of money into its tourism budget this year.  In Chicago, there are huge visit Dallas ads on the bus shelters, downtown information signs, subways, and transit buses.  They've even splashed out for bus wraps of the double-decker tour buses.  

Unfortunately, the ads themselves are unremarkable except for their frequency.  I couldn't find any of the actual ads online, but this is pretty close:

420563167_640.jpg

They were at least smart enough to run their tourism ads right after TNT did a big splash for its Dallas TV show.

Let's hope that if Houston ever gets serious about tourism advertising it doesn't choose a photograph featuring a traffic jam, a flooded bayou and a smog-shrouded skyline like Dallas did above.

They should have edited out the haze in the picture before publishing it.