editor

Houston sightings

The scene is around 55-60 minutes into the movie.  It approaches downtown from the south, going along I-45.  Great scene, and once again the federal building appears as not being finished on the left.  It's been in brochures and in many other pictures/images showing it in it's current state.  Also, a highrise tower would look good where the Days Inn is at.  Just an observation.

• Like 1

This is Houston, right, but I only recognize one building. Saw it on my chromecast screen saver

10246539_618925911950_652368361227258671

This is Houston, right, but I only recognize one building. Saw it on my chromecast screen saver

That surely looks like Chase Tower to me

I think it's supposed to be looking up at Pennzoil, but somehow it has Tranquility Park's odd copper water feature towers that have quadrupled in size. But that is 100% JP Morgan Chase Tower on the right.

I'm not sure if they have been showing this on espn, but it's all over Univision. The first shot is of Houston and BG Group is really prominent

Well to be fair, it's a Mexican player on the USA team

The latest Chase App login screen has a shot of Houston. Seems to be a bridge crossing Buffalo Bayou. I'm not sure if I got this image because I am in the Houston area of if it is for everybody who uses the app.

a2dd561e6b46c0feb648902630ace230.jpg

• Like 4

Have seen a FedEx commercial recently with a guy pretending to have an office in his garage; the view in the background appears to be an aerial view of the southeast side of the downtown skyline.

I want to say that's NYC based off of that triangular roofed building right behind his head. Looks like a building by the Chryslar Building (obviously not in this shot).

If it's not NYC, I'd guess some random Canadian city like Calgary or Edmonton.

Houston's skyline is featured a bit in the new Erricson ad for network connectivity. I tried a YouTube search but it only yielded Sony phone ads. Houston Center and first city tower are clearly visible in the first shot, before it shows the bay bridge in SF. Then the signature western view and I think one more.

Edited by Montrose1100

Owning a car makes you a P**** and a F*****. Drive a Truck or else people will ask questions.

Edit: Weird how they cut the skyline like that? Why bother and not just keep it how it is originally aligned? I've seen some photos of Houston that are completely inverted. 

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 1

^Those were my thoughts too regarding that commercial.  Why cut the skyline like that?  Also, why would owning a car make you a pansy?  (too change a few words you used)

I drive a car - I commute - it makes sense!  And cars/trucks do not a strong man or woman make.

The commercials sucked this year.  Though I did like a few of the more touchy-feely ones.

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone here has seen the movie Boyhood, but it was fun watching that movie and seeing Houston as the backdrop.

I don't know if anyone here has seen the movie Boyhood, but it was fun watching that movie and seeing Houston as the backdrop.

Never seen the movie before!

Never seen the movie before!

Linklater's best since the 90's IMO. I especially liked seeing Hermann Park in the movie. That and the Jason Lane homerun.

• Like 1

I agree. Decent movie and fun to watch the parts filmed in Houston. I had a hard time identifying the neighborhoods the houses were in though.

Linklater's best since the 90's IMO. I especially liked seeing Hermann Park in the movie. That and the Jason Lane homerun.

This was actually the first movie of his I ever saw. What got me into the theater was of course the fact the filming was over the course 12 years! They really did work in a lot of different aspects of Houston which I was amazed by. I would have given them the pass if they just merely said it was in Houston and had a few establishing shots, but they went everywhere. U of H, Minute Maid Park (though it was probably Enron Field at that point still. Awesome to see Roger Clemens pitching!), Downtown, Hermann Park, when they first arrived at Houston you could see some background shots of the Galleria area, I remember them going to the Houston Zoo, Museum of Natural Science.

I don't think since Urban Cowboy has the actual city gotten a lot of screen time.

Immediately afterwards I was like...yeah why don't they shot more movies here :C

found this, looking for a voip service - chevron building

11081344_656785396240_564738555642591377

• Like 2

Fox 26 planning on doing a special on the diverse communities in Houston, which effects Texas & the entire United States next week! Wondering how people like TX Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick [R] will react when they see the Texas or America they know changing into a more racially diverse place ?

Does this explain why we're seeing Voter ID laws, etc., from the Legislature in order to hold back the inevitably of seeing the Anglo population declining as racial minorities becoming a majority in Texas?

I don't think the Anglo population is declining?  I think that the other populations are growing and the anglo population is stable?

Regardless I think the voter ID laws are a way of combating some democratic votes...  Frankly I'm in favor of Texas splitting into 5 states!  No reason Houston should EVER be affected by some senator or congressman/woman from Pecos or the Valley or elsewhere.  Won't ever happen, but if it does - I won't fight against it.

• Like 1

Fox 26 planning on doing a special on the diverse communities in Houston, which effects Texas & the entire United States next week! Wondering how people like TX Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick [R] will react when they see the Texas or America they know changing into a more racially diverse place ?

Does this explain why we're seeing Voter ID laws, etc., from the Legislature in order to hold back the inevitably of seeing the Anglo population declining as racial minorities becoming a majority in Texas?

You should get a job as a barista at Starbucks.

• Like 3

It's going to be interesting to see how this turns out.  Sometimes 26 sounds a whole lot like the national component, sometimes it sounds more like a product of Houston - a city that hasn't had a majority of anything for a while, and is often quite comfortable with things like what I call "collision cuisine" - like freshly house made banh mi with freshly house made churros for dessert.  On the same menu.  That offers beignets, croissants, and boudin kolaches at breakfast.  

Edited by mollusk

You should get a job as a barista at Starbucks.

In Dan Patrick's Texas, he doesn't want to see Texas go interracial for obvious reasons!

249 was in a fail video   @1.19 . I guess this counts as a Houston sighting lol

Edited by Luminare

It's going to be interesting to see how this turns out.  Sometimes 26 sounds a whole lot like the national component, sometimes it sounds more like a product of Houston - a city that hasn't had a majority of anything for a while, and is often quite comfortable with things like what I call "collision cuisine" - like freshly house made banh mi with freshly house made churros for dessert.  On the same menu.  That offers beignets, croissants, and boudin kolaches at breakfast.  

Didn't realize it was going to be a longer-term series. Looks fairly interesting thus far.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/category/298788/houston-the-new-face-of-america

This looks an awful like the Houston skyline in this episode of The Simpsons from 2011.

post-3723-0-77886100-1445982679_thumb.jp

Edited by JLWM8609
  • Like 9

The Brain with David Eagleman on PBS is pretty much all in Houston and has some incredible architecture shots from around town and inside buildings. It's a new 6 part series definitely worth watching. You can stream them online for free.

• Like 2