Houston sightings

editor

An article about Architect Ronnie Self's 3rd Ward house in the NYT Magazine today. Link.

Iol...there's no guarantee in Houston.

Gesturing at the 20 lanes of highway that stand between his property and the gleaming towers of downtown, Self said, ‘‘It seemed that it was pretty much a guarantee that no one was going to block your view.’’

Prairie Home Companion is live from the Wortham tonight. The show will be rebroadcast tomorrow afternoon.

They had a lot of local references (mostly inner loop) in the opening bits including a painful cover of California Girls ("Houston Girls"). Otherwise, Houston coverage has been a references to our cowboy culture. DBigTex. were you looking for a Houston stereotype?

EDIT: The mezzo-soprano, Susan Graham, was great. The rest of the show seemed phoned in.

Edited by Porchman

Channel 2 promised that we'd see scenes of Houston in the new series "Chase", so I watched it last night.

There was a two-second helicopter shot of the skyline and part of the 4th Ward. If there were other shots identifiably of Houston, I missed them.

Channel 2 promised that we'd see scenes of Houston in the new series "Chase", so I watched it last night.

There was a two-second helicopter shot of the skyline and part of the 4th Ward. If there were other shots identifiably of Houston, I missed them.

It's filmed in Dallas. They show the flyovers over downtown to indicate they are in their Houston office but most of the street scenes are Dallas. They do, however, talk about Houston neighborhoods a bunch.

It seemed like Chase was being really careful to make the show appear to be filmed in Houston. They have a lot of aerial downtown shots, they always venture out to nearby neighborhoods/towns (e.g., The Woodlands, Galveston, Sealy, River Oaks, etc.). However, last night's show clearly showed a downtown Dallas skyscraper in the background of the image. I was a little surprised to see this obvious Dallas evidence in the show that tries so hard to be set in Houston. Oh well, as I said a while back, I'd rather have a show filmed in Dallas and set in Houston than have a show filmed in Houston but set in Dallas. It's like the producers are saying that Dallas isn't cool enough for the setting of the show, they have to pretend to be the cooler city to the south to make a compelling show. A slap in the face to Dallas if you ask me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funky Winkerbean, Brazos Bookstore on Bissonett Street.

Hardly a positive reference, though, it being Funky Winkerbean. dry.gif

Though I haven't followed Funky in a few years, Funky is still a classic.

Considering he could have chosen any bookstore in America, the fact that he enjoyed his visit there enough to include them in the strip this week is a very very positive thing.

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20101207&name=Funky_Winkerbean

Though I haven't followed Funky in a few years, Funky is still a classic.

Considering he could have chosen any bookstore in America, the fact that he enjoyed his visit there enough to include them in the strip this week is a very very positive thing.

http://www.chron.com...unky_Winkerbean

A few years, eh? Well, what happened is that Les (that guy)'s wife Lisa died of cancer in 2007. A time jump of ten years happened, and now it's mostly a mouthpiece for Batiuk to get his views across all while letting characters decay in an increasingly bleak environment. Here we have author-avatar Les Moore selling his book about his wife's death. His fans are stupid saying things that no actual person would say (like "I respect your opinion too much to argue about it") and all the while he's being smug and acting like, well, a jerk. This quote from Comics Curmudgeon sums it up nicely.

"Sorry, Batuik, but your premises undermine each other. Premise #1: Les the literary genius is finally recognized by a respected media outlet for his massive contribution to the world of letters. Premise #2: Les is a misunderstood genius suffering fools who can’t even read a book title from a teleprompter. You see, if #1 were true, #2 wouldn’t happen. If #2 is true, then what value the praise? The only way for both premises to stand is if the lazy assholes are recognizing the smug asshole for achievements in the field of assholery."

• 1 month later...

so i was biking around houston on saturday and i noticed some filming going on downtown... The cops had all 4 streets around Jones Hall blocked off. There was a blacked out (lights and everything - black) ML 350 benz with a camera on it hauling ass around the corners with a Hyundai Elantra following closely behind it. At first I thought it could (by some small chance) be a car chase seen for a movie but the guy coordinating the whole thing told me it was just a car commercial. Still, be on the lookout!

so i was biking around houston on saturday and i noticed some filming going on downtown... The cops had all 4 streets around Jones Hall blocked off. There was a blacked out (lights and everything - black) ML 350 benz with a camera on it hauling ass around the corners with a Hyundai Elantra following closely behind it. At first I thought it could (by some small chance) be a car chase seen for a movie but the guy coordinating the whole thing told me it was just a car commercial. Still, be on the lookout!

They are filming something right now on Louisiana around the Alley & Birraporetti's. They would not let me use the sidewalk on the BB's side. I couldn't tell much from what I saw.

Edited by rsb320

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly a "Houston in the media" sighting, but the OPI cosmetics company has a couple of new colors, allegedly inspired by Texas.

One of them is called "Guy meets Gal-veston" http://www.mbeautylounge.com/nailpolish/opi-texas-collection/3113-guy-meets-gal-veston-opi-nail-polish.html

It's kind of purply-pink. Perhaps a Galveston sunset? (Though, I think Katy has better sunsets)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...