Houston sightings

editor

It looks unfinished, right? The top of it

Can't tell but I suppose it could be. The album came out in 1971, the same year the chapel opened.

This from today's Guardian:

Houston, do we have problem? This night time image shows the lit-up 60-mile wide Texas city. Houston is home to five million people and is the largest area in the US without formal zoning restrictions on where and how people can build. This freedom has led to a highly diverse pattern of land use. The city has been called the energy capital of the world due to its role as a major hub of oil and power industries.

Houston-Texas-at-night-014.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Business Week visits Houston

A Free Day in Houston Texas

America's fourth-largest city has more than sprawl and humidity. A guide to the good stuff

By Lisa Gray

BW Magazine

Petrochem capital of the Americas, sprawl capital of the universe: Houston can seem like a city you can't escape fast enough. That's because you don't really know it. Start your crash course with a visit to sculptor David Adickes' studio—actually to his studio's parking lot, jammed with 18-foot busts of all 43 U.S. Presidents. The giant heads of state were intended for a $600 million suburban redevelopment project that tanked with the economy; in April, Adickes repossessed the busts he'd already delivered. Reunited, the heady crew embodies Houston itself: oversized, earnest, subject to wild financial swings, and peculiar as all get-out. If the Lone Star spirit carries you away, Texan POTUSes Lyndon Johnson and George W. Bush are available for $50,000 apiece.

Business Week link

• 1 month later...

The History Channel (I know, I know) was showing a program called "Life After People", about how cities would decay over time if people suddenly vanished. Part of the episode was about Houston, particularly the Chase Tower and Astrodome, the latter of which was forecast to become a giant bat sanctuary. Graphics from the show:

after-houston-thumb-200x300-346.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This past weekend COPS broadcast two incidents filmed in Houston. The first was a traffic stop (W Dallas - Taft area) in which a motorist had been observed buying drugs nearby. The second was also a drug bust, Spur 527 at W Alabama (Skylane Apartments) - just two blocks from da Mayor's house. There's a couple of nice, if typical, ariel shots of downtown.

"Cops" Season 22 Ep:32 can be viewed at Hulu.com

The History Channel (I know, I know) was showing a program called "Life After People", about how cities would decay over time if people suddenly vanished. Part of the episode was about Houston, particularly the Chase Tower and Astrodome, the latter of which was forecast to become a giant bat sanctuary. Graphics from the show:

after-houston-thumb-200x300-346.jpg

I know I'm a month late with this reply, but that sounds like the best idea for the dome yet! :lol:

This past weekend COPS broadcast two incidents filmed in Houston. The first was a traffic stop (W Dallas - Taft area) in which a motorist had been observed buying drugs nearby. The second was also a drug bust, Spur 527 at W Alabama (Skylane Apartments) - just two blocks from da Mayor's house. There's a couple of nice, if typical, ariel shots of downtown.

"Cops" Season 22 Ep:32 can be viewed at Hulu.com

On the first arrest, I just like how they simply refer to "Freedmen's town" as "The Neighborhood." Don't know if that was intentional or not, but interesting. I wish they'd just raid the area more often.

Ouch! The very first apartment I ever lived in was at 219 W. Alabama. I don't think they were called Skylane at that time but might have been. At any rate, I had a little efficiency with twin 'daybeds' which served as living room during the day and bedroom at night. Small kitchen, under counter fridge and two burner stove. Bathroom and closet. Still, the apartments were about 10 years old then (about 1966) and rented for $99 month furnished and all bills paid. I worked at Gulf Oil downtown and could almost roll out of bed and to the bus stop.

Of course, there was no Spur 527 then and if memory serves me, Travis ended about there and fed onto 59 south.

They were actually pretty nice back then and suited me.

• 2 months later...

The Clark's shoe store chain is using assorted pictures of Houston, with shoes and models in front, for their in-store displays, shop window decoration, and website. One poster features my old favorite the Sheraton-Lincoln building. The windows have been thoughtfully photoshopicly darkened so you can't tell the building is just a shell.

Take a look - Clark's website

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Porchman, it appears Sibilia Vargas has left Fox 26 and heading back to Los Angeles to be working at KCBS, the CBS affiliate in that area. I wonder if she ever intended to end her career in Houston because ever since Linda Cheek-Heinrich retired in 2002, the co-anchor spot in the mornings are cursed:

1. Taslin Alfonso (2002-2005): co-anchored the mornings with Jose Grinan and was domoted to the 12 Noon newscasts once Jan Jeffcoat took the morning slot and Taslin eventually went back to New Orleans, her hometown to work at the NBC affiliate WSDU.

2. Jan Jeffcoat (2004-2007): bailed on Houston and never looked back, she's currently at WFLD-TV Fox 32 in Chicago.

3. Sibilia Vargas (2007-2010): lasted only 3 years and went back to LA.

• 4 weeks later...

An article about Architect Ronnie Self's 3rd Ward house in the NYT Magazine today. Link.

If you’re going to build your dream house in a city that revolves around cars, why not plant it right on the side of a freeway? Ronnie Self, an architect, has done just that on a plot of land in a gritty but art-filled neighborhood with unobstructed views of the downtown skyline in Houston.