Houston sightings

editor

Probably not in our lifetimes. Houston has room to grow, literally, in all directions so that will work to keep housing costs down in the overall metro. The core may slowly rise in cost, but not to the extent that more geographic-bound cities like NYC or San Francisco will. I think the point of the article is that the paradigm for tier 1 cities is changing and Houston is the future.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that anytime in the near future. There's a huge number of homes under construction out on the west side. I'm guessing that the same is true in a number of other suburbs too. Houston is continuing to sprawl. :)

There is a new commercial about wireless technology (doesn't really explain) that is set in downtown Houston. I shows a lady on her cell phone and she finding out when the next bus will come. Then they show a METRO bus pull up. Its a national commercial, I saw it on CNN.

...aaaand we're the tenth "dirtiest" city according to Travel and Leisure huh.png

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-dirtiest-cities

Also, we (nor Dallas) do not make their "Top 27 Skylines", having been beat out by such skyscraper cities as Honolulu, Providence and New Orleans. (Note to self: Do opposite of whatever Travel and Leisure recommends.)

There is a new commercial about wireless technology (doesn't really explain) that is set in downtown Houston. I shows a lady on her cell phone and she finding out when the next bus will come. Then they show a METRO bus pull up. Its a national commercial, I saw it on CNN.

I saw the same commercial today for the first time on CNN and paused it when I saw the METRO bus. The lady boards the METRO bus (#2876 showing the #82 Downtown route on the sign for bus fans) at the stop on Louisiana and Lamar. Another version of the commercial shows self-reporting trash bins using wireless technology, again at the corner of Louisiana and Lamar.

Here's the bus version of the commercial. http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Iqs/ctia-the-wireless-association-bus-and-tractor

Edited by JLWM8609

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This a good article on building inventory etc because its not the cookie cutter article we normally get. Some good thoughts

www.globest.com/news/12_596/houston/economy/Boom-Times-Have-Another-Side-332843.html

On the new Travel Network show "Burger Land", host and burger gourmand Steve Motz tours the country looking for the best hamburgers. One of his shows last night (May 6) was shot in Houston. Motz went to four or five locally owned burger joints in the Houston area sampling their wares, and declared that these burgers were among the best he's ever consumed. What a job.

Motz says it's because the meat is not frozen. It's ground fresh and highly seasoned on the premises and the patties are hand made. The finished burger has a lot of ingredients the burger chains would never use. One place puts batter deep-fried bacon and jalapenos on top of the beef. Another place grinds bacon up with the beef. Is your mouth watering yet?

Here's a link to the Houston episode on the show's website, but the clip is only a couple of minutes long. I love the title though: Houston We Have a Burger!

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/fried-bacon-jalapeno-burger

Check out the photos. They'll make you want to jump in the car and go find one of those places. I live in east Texas and I can't wait for the next time I drive down to Houston. I am definitely going to get me one of those.

Edited by FilioScotia

On the new Travel Network show "Burger Land", host and burger gourmand Steve Motz tours the country looking for the best hamburgers. One of his shows last night (May 6) was shot in Houston. Motz went to four or five locally owned burger joints in the Houston area sampling their wares, and declared that these burgers were among the best he's ever consumed.

Motz says it's because the meat is not frozen. It's ground fresh and highly seasoned on the premises and the finished product has a lot of ingredients the burger chains would never use. One place puts batter deep fried bacon on top of the beef. Another place grinds bacon up with the beef. Is your mouth watering yet?

Here's a link to the show's page on the IMDb. You can watch the episodes, but the Houston ep isn't posted there yet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2375230/?ref_=ttep_ep_tt

It'll take a couple of weeks for the Houston episode to be added. What a job.

I found a gallery, and looks like he stopped at Blake's, Christian's Tailgate, Tookie's, and Stanton City Bites.

And Cavender's Boot City because we're all cowboys or whatever.

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/burger-land/photos/burger-land-houston-we-have-a-burger-pictures

On the new Travel Network show "Burger Land", host and burger gourmand Steve Motz tours the country looking for the best hamburgers. One of his shows last night (May 6) was shot in Houston. Motz went to four or five locally owned burger joints in the Houston area sampling their wares, and declared that these burgers were among the best he's ever consumed.

Motz says it's because the meat is not frozen. It's ground fresh and highly seasoned on the premises and the finished product has a lot of ingredients the burger chains would never use. One place puts batter deep fried bacon on top of the beef. Another place grinds bacon up with the beef. Is your mouth watering yet?

Here's a link to the Houston episode on the show's website, but the clip is only a couple of minutes long. I love the title though: Houston We Have a Burger!

Check out the photos. They'll make you want to jump in the car and go where you can get one.

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/burger-land/video

What a job.

I've stopped watching this type of show because they always exclaim that the food is great. It's a running joke in our house that Guy Fieri tosses his cookies off camera after some of his tastings. I'll start watching again when some host takes a bite and every once in a while tells us the food is only so-so.

I've stopped watching this type of show because they always exclaim that the food is great. It's a running joke in our house that Guy Fieri tosses his cookies off camera after some of his tastings. I'll start watching again when some host takes a bite and every once in a while tells us the food is only so-so.

They probably check out the restaurants beforehand and only film at the ones they like...

It helps to remember the purpose of shows like this one. It's not intended to be a food "critic" show that dishes the bad with the good. The show's mission is to find the good places and show why they have that reputation. He only has half an hour -- including commercials -- and he can't waste HIS precious few minutes with places that are less than great places to eat.

As for how they pick their featured restaurants, I'm guessing their production staff contacts food critics in each city well in advance to get a handle on the popular eateries and map out an itinerary. That's what I would do if I were doing this show.

It helps to remember the purpose of shows like this one. It's not intended to be a food "critic" show that dishes the bad with the good. The show's mission is to find the good places and show why they have that reputation. He only has half an hour -- including commercials -- and he can't waste HIS precious few minutes with places that are less than great places to eat.

So he wastes his precious half hour at places like Cavender's Boot City, because we all must be cowboys, or something. Also, Tookie's is less than great, so apparently he can waste precious minutes.

As to Guy Fieri, he went to Red Lion. Lame.

Edited by kylejack

As someone who worked in Houston radio and TV for 45 years I can tell you that the GHP does not buy positive media coverage. Furthermore, no news media outlet that cares about its reputation would sell positive coverage. The GHP does however buy advertisements in print and electronic media to promote itself and its members, but it does not buy news coverage.

That doesn't mean the media don't cover the GHP. They certainly do, but it is to report genuine news stories about the GHP and its work in bringing new industry and companies to town, but that coverage is not "bought".

That is what is known as earned" media coverage, or free media. It refers to favorable publicity a company gains through its own initiatives and promotional efforts other than paid advertising.

Examples: a big developer announces plans to build a new skyscraper or a new business complex. Or a big company announces plans to expand and hire thousands of people. That's news that can be defined as "earned" media coverage.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the answer to my question?

It's free media coverage.   (e.g., when the media covers Houston's high rankings in various recent surveys and studies.)   As opposed to paid media coverage, which is when GHP or Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau buys advertisements.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an interview in the WSJ with Annise Parker. I don't think Houston was ever really a "Redneck White City" since it's always had a high % of African Americans and a sizable but now exploding Latino population. Especially after JSC set up shop around Clear Lake giving it the nickname "Space City" would change some people minds. Even after 50+ years I guess the main problem is people hear Texas and instantly think "redneck".

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323744604578472873183655916.html?mod=hp_opinion

Even after 50+ years I guess the main problem is people hear Texas and instantly think "redneck".

I hear that all the time from folks I work with in California, particularly the younger ones. They seem to think that Texas is just a large desert with only rednecks and cowboys. I usually tell them they watch way too much tv.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

This is a Reuters news pieces on an interesting demolition practice being used in Tokyo: 'internal' demolition. The video is interesting in and of itself, but there's also a Houston sighting in here (although it's not labeled as such).

At the 1:08 mark, you can see the former Prudential/Houston Main Building in the TMC being demolished. It's used as an example of how many other cities (e.g., Houston) can use traditional demolition practices, but Tokyo needs something different due to its building density.

As noted, I think the entire video is worth watching.