Houston sightings

editor

First of all l must admit I dwell in the higher realms of geekdom and watch old car commercials on youtube. But look at the beginning of this ad for the exciting 1979 Datsun 200SX. Is that Houston ca 1978 in the background when the Datsun is on the roller coaster? Could this have been shot at Astroworld? It looks Houston-ish.

The comments section says that's Long Beach, CA.

First of all l must admit I dwell in the higher realms of geekdom and watch old car commercials on youtube. But look at the beginning of this ad for the exciting 1979 Datsun 200SX. Is that Houston ca 1978 in the background when the Datsun is on the roller coaster? Could this have been shot at Astroworld? It looks Houston-ish.

Am watching Nostradamus 2012 on History Channel. At the part when they're talking about storms like Katrina and Ike, they had a shot of Houston, namely the Williams Tower.

EDIT: And again... Downtown Houston Skyline towards the end the end of the program. So nice be to associated with the end of the world, huh.

Edited by Geoff8201

Just watched Smallville Season 7 on blu-ray with my fiancee. In a scene near the very end of the season finale, Downtown is featured pretty prominently.You can easily see Wells Fargo, Chase, part of Bank of America, and Heritage Tower. If you'll remember sometime last year, Heritage Tower's lights were on in the shape of a seven. I guess they did that b/c they were included in season 7's finale.

Am watching Nostradamus 2012 on History Channel. At the part when they're talking about storms like Katrina and Ike, they had a shot of Houston, namely the Williams Tower.

EDIT: And again... Downtown Houston Skyline towards the end the end of the program. So nice be to associated with the end of the world, huh.

I spotted that a couple nights ago when I was trying to eat dinner in what apparently is a crappy time slot. It was hilarious. Some kind of so-called Nostradomus expert was trying to pin a particular quatrain as applying to the current financial crisis, but it just didn't really apply. In between the talking head trying to explain that "lightning strikes the temple" is supposed to mean that stock prices decline (at the temple-like NYSE building), the video shots cycled between images of corinthian architecture in Manhattan, a shot of downtown Houston as viewed from the East, and (I want to say) an image of basalt-encrusted lava flows. I just about fell off the sofa laughing.

The History Channel must really like Houston. Tonight on the 11:00pm episode of Modern Marvels, they did a story on how the Houston Chronicle runs both a conventional paper and electronic newspaper. They had people speculating about how one day, the traditional newspaper will be obselete, and even showed some behind the scenes views of the Chron.

I spotted that a couple nights ago when I was trying to eat dinner in what apparently is a crappy time slot. It was hilarious. Some kind of so-called Nostradomus expert was trying to pin a particular quatrain as applying to the current financial crisis, but it just didn't really apply. In between the talking head trying to explain that "lightning strikes the temple" is supposed to mean that stock prices decline (at the temple-like NYSE building), the video shots cycled between images of corinthian architecture in Manhattan, a shot of downtown Houston as viewed from the East, and (I want to say) an image of basalt-encrusted lava flows. I just about fell off the sofa laughing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did not realize that Jack Valenti, former longtime president of the Motion Picture Academy, was from Houston. He was investigated by J. Edgar Hoover's FBI for possibly being a homo. When in fact, it is rumored that Hoover was gay himself.

...just a tie to Houston I never realized.

I did not realize that Jack Valenti, former longtime president of the Motion Picture Academy, was from Houston. He was investigated by J. Edgar Hoover's FBI for possibly being a homo. When in fact, it is rumored that Hoover was gay himself.

...just a tie to Houston I never realized.

Valenti was a Houston ad executive and a graduate of the University of Houston. His friendship with Senator Lyndon Johnson got him a job as Special Assistant to the President in 1963. Because he was a powerful figure, JEdgar Hoover wanted a dossier on him, just like all the dossiers he had on practically everybody in Washington. He used them to shore up his power base at the FBI, and he knew so much about so many people that nobody in Washington would stand up to him.

There were rumors that Valenti had a relationship with a male photographer, so Hoover had some agents look into it. They found no evidence to support the rumor so the investigation went into the file of cases that were "Undetermined But Still Open". That's why I don't believe Valenti was gay, because if there was anything to be found, Hoover would have found it.

A few years later the Motion Picture Association of America hired Valenti to be the Chief Executive, a position he held for the rest of his life. His name lives on at the University of Houston, at the Jack Valenti School of Communications.

I've been told that the day Hoover died, the sound of a giant wind was heard all over Washington. It was the sound of thousands of current and former politicians and political appointees breathing a collective sigh of relief at the same time.

Jack Valenti was, without question, one of the most remarkable people Houston has ever produced. Read his bio on the Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0884122/bio

Edited by FilioScotia

• 2 weeks later...

HOUSTON-In a one-two punch, Houston and the Dallas-Fort Worth area scored the top two slots on Site Selection magazine's 2009 "Top Metro" rankings for 2009. The rankings put these two Texas cities as the most targeted areas for corporate location, relocation and expansion activity.

See full article here: http://www.globest.com/news/1364_1364/houston/177373-1.html

• 2 weeks later...

World News Tonight will broadcast from Houston Monday and Tuesday. They will be talking about how Texas is doing so well in the recession while the rest of the nation is not. The population increase, corporate relocation, etc.

Here is more info: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/tv/6325139.html

Edited by citykid09

• 3 weeks later...

During the George Lopez mega-marathon on Nick-at-Nite last week, there was an episode where his daughter and her baseball player boyfriend got arrested. When George and his (who might be an epic definition of a woman, IMO) wife went to pick her up, there's a map of Houston can you can clearly see. It's displayed rather prominently and often.

Big Constance Marie fan here :wub:

During the George Lopez mega-marathon on Nick-at-Nite last week, there was an episode where his daughter and her baseball player boyfriend got arrested. When George and his (who might be an epic definition of a woman, IMO) wife went to pick her up, there's a map of Houston can you can clearly see. It's displayed rather prominently and often.

Big Constance Marie fan here :wub:

I thought I was the only one that watched George Lopez every night. One of my favorite shows, I didn't watch it when it was in production, but in syndication on Nick at Nite. Then I watch Fresh Prince of Blaire. Yeah the wife is FINE!

• 3 weeks later...
Another Houston sighting, courtesy of the George Lopez show. Wells Fargo Tower and 1100 Louisiana shown as a meeting site from an older (2002-ish) episode.

Several days ago, I noticed that Houston was one of the cities repeatedly referred to on "Life After Humans" on the History Channel. In one segment, they talked about how a Texas computer game designer has stowed away a digitized copy of the human genome on the International Space Station. And then it looked like in the next segment they were going to have an asteroid strike Houston somewhere near downtown...but I missed that part.

Why must asteroids always strike downtown areas within the United States? You'd think that every now and again they'd strike some small town in a poor country that Americans can't pronounce the name of. ...or an inconsequential body of water. ...or a polar cap.