FM 518 Expansion

BWSchultz

I can't say for sure what's going on, but it look like they are clearing land on the south side of 518 west of 288 in anticipation for the widening of 518. The diagrams I've seen show minimum four lanes divided from 288 to 521, with more lanes designated for turning, particularly into the new shopping complexes centered around Business Center Drive and 518. In fact, if you look at the Shadow Creek Ranch Town Center pdf, you'll see how big they think this road will actually be. At 518/Business Center Drive, there are four eastbound lanes (2 left turn into SCR TC). Westbound, there are 5 lanes (2 left turn into Pearland TC).

The area I've seen being cleared is roughly from where the new Business Center Dr. hooks up with 518 to somewhere near Kirby. It looks like they knocked down a bunch of trees.

This is a KEY step in Pearland development, both residential and commercial. I would imagine they would pave two lanes on the south side of the existing 518 from 288 to 521 and then rip out the old 518 there and redo it. I hope they can bury the unsightly powerlines going down 518 right now. I'm so tired of passing F350s and contruction trucks on that tiny road.

This is the kind of progress I can get excited about!

• 3 months later...

It's been nearly one month since that article and nothing has happened along 518 since then. They cleared all that land south of 518 near 288 and installed sewer (I think).

The HEB is "supposed" to be break ground next week and be finished next summer. Construction will also be starting on the Dillard's/Macy's/B&N stores on the south side of 288. SCR home sales are slow (as is the rest of the country) but it's still changing quickly.

Fix 518 all the way to 521. By that time, there's going to be big problems on 2234 on the northern boundary of SCR. The people and tax dollars are there. It's long overdue to improve the infrastructure.

• 2 weeks later...
518 should have been expanded several yrs ago. not sure why you thought it is not a heavily used road.

Not sure but he may have been refering to the portion of 518 west of SH 288. Even so you are right, given the growth from SCR and the amount of traffic plus the construction of the Prominade they need to get ahead of the curve and expand the road. It's so hard to look at that area the same way anymore. As a kid my Father used to take me out on the 288 right of way before it was built and the land was just cleared to dove hunt in the fall. We would drive down Almeda Genoa to where 288 crossed it and turn south on the ROW and drive several miles. The highway department had built the brifges but none of the road yet so you could travel a long way. I also did a lot of hunting in the soybean fields west of 288 off 518 where SCR is now. That whole area was just two lane roads and farmland as far as you could see.

• 2 weeks later...

They cleared out many more trees this week along the south side of 518 near Kirby. I hope to see some serious work there soon.

Sort of related ... Business Center Drive is now open from 2234 Shadow Creek Parkway to 518. It's a long winding road. There's only one stop sign now at Discovery Bay, which enters into SCR. The new HEB will be along Bus. Center Dr.

In preparation for sprawling shopping centers. . .just screams Lowes and Walmart!

Yeah, that area is being cleared for Macy's, Dillards, Barnes and Noble, Ann Taylor Loft, and many other smaller stores. Think Sugar Land Town Center. Lowe's, Walmart, Target, Home Depot are already on the other side of 288.

• The title was changed to FM 518 Expansion

Archived