Frank Meyer Mansion At 9111 South Post Oak Rd.

theoriginalkj

Do any of your guys have photos or info on what I have always known as the "old Meyer property" at the NE corner of 610 Loop South & S. Post Oak, right across the freeway from the MeyerPark retail property. I know there were some scenes from a movie shot at this location, there appears to be the old footprint of a home, and there is (or was) a small retail building at the SE corner of this property that used to be a gas station ( i think ). Anyone have any citable information about this property or any photos? HCAD.org doesn't describe it at all except for the northern edge next to the bayou as being HCFCD (Harris County Flood Control District) ownership.

Kevin Jackson

Moderator edit: 

The Frank K. Meyer residential property was located at 9111 South Post Oak Road in 1967.

In present-day 2022, the Harris County Flood Control District water retention pond has an address of 4502 South Loop.

• Like 1

Do any of your guys have photos or info on what I have always known as the "old Meyer property" at the NE corner of 610 Loop South & S. Post Oak, right across the freeway from the MeyerPark retail property. I know there were some scenes from a movie shot at this location, there appears to be the old footprint of a home, and there is (or was) a small retail building at the SE corner of this property that used to be a gas station ( i think ). Anyone have any citable information about this property or any photos? HCAD.org doesn't describe it at all except for the northern edge next to the bayou as being HCFCD (Harris County Flood Control District) ownership.

Kevin Jackson

I have explorer and photographed the property. The foundation of the house and garage are still there. the house was roughly the same shape as the old Astrohall. The was(is) a fish pond out side the front door (south side of the old house). The old pond mainly grows weeds, but is still full of water. The driveway still circles around through the property. The shower of the main bath had the old baby poop yellow tile on the foundation.

I plan to add a small section on TF on the property, because of its relation to IH-610. I will pull some of the photos from storage disk and post them.

• Like 1

Hummmm, I can't believe I've never seen that place, being I'm

close by.. I'm kinda confused on the location though.. This sounds like a

good place to take my metal detector.. :) NE corner? Seems

that would be kind of near the old Fluor <sp>? building... I'm confused..

I would like to check it out though.. Maybe I saw it years ago,

but forgot about it.. I'd like to check it out.

MK

• Like 1

You are close. It is across Braes Bayou from the old Fluor building (now Aramco/condos).

It's bordered by Braes Bayou on the north, IH-610 on the west and south, and Willow Bayou on the east. The garage was still standing until the early '80's.

If you want to visit the original two gates face the west bound frontage road of IH-610.

• Like 1

The property has severe floodplain issues, which is why is hasn't been developed.

The Meyers are open to developing it...I'm sure there will be a huge uproar when they do. I think most folks enjoy seeing the little bit of nature there as they fly around the Loop. It would be nice to see the property preserved in its undeveloped state.

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's
  • Like 1

The property has severe floodplain issues, which is why is hasn't been developed.

The Meyers are open to developing it...I'm sure there will be a huge uproar when they do. I think most folks enjoy seeing the little bit of nature there as they fly around the Loop. It would be nice to see the property preserved in its undeveloped state.

After all, what better spot for a public park than underneath a freeway interchange?

• Like 1

After all, what better spot for a public park than underneath a freeway interchange?

Actually, we've got a public parking lot under the interchange (Metro Park & Ride lot).

How do you think that corner of the Loop would look if the trees were replaced with another Wal-Mart, or another Meyerland Plaza?

I'd rather see the trees. Judging by the posts above, it sounds like maybe I'm the only one that ever notices those trees... :huh:

• Like 1

Actually, we've got a public parking lot under the interchange (Metro Park & Ride lot).

How do you think that corner of the Loop would look if the trees were replaced with another Wal-Mart, or another Meyerland Plaza?

I'd rather see the trees. Judging by the posts above, it sounds like maybe I'm the only one that ever notices those trees... :huh:

By "under" I meant something more like "in the shadows of". The interchange does kind of loom over it.

I'd kind of prefer to see an apartment complex or an office building. Its not large enough and probably doesn't have adequate access for a big box retail store.

I pass by twice a day, myself. The trees are nice, but so are buildings.

• Like 1

I can definitely see how this area would have flooding problems.

I may have to get over there and see it for myself.

Maybe it got torn down around the time of the 610 being built?

I live in this "ghetto" or "hood" or whatever - Willowbend. It seems odd to live in a ghetto when the houses in my neighborhood are all appraised in the $200K and up range and seem to be increasing every year. I know it would be nice to get rid of the apartments on S. Post Oak and down further in the Willow/Gasmer area, but I don't think I'm going to go set fire to them myself. How do we go about getting rid of an apartment complex? We don't own it, we can't shut it down.

What S. Post Oak seems to be to me is a thoroughfare for people and trucks (recycling and dumping ground is at S. Main & S. Post Oak). They don't live in the area and they either drive through it or bus through it and use the area then head home, so they don't care about it. So our area around S. Post Oak (Walmart, Foodarama, Pawn Shops, Popeyes, Hunter's Pub, Wheel Rims Shop, the new CiCi's Pizza, Payless Shoes, Check Cashing Place, Dollar Stores, Drive Through Car Wash, Junk Shops) seems to cater to that element, where Meyerland gets the more upscale type places - though they also have Marshall's and Ross, not exactly Saks!

It's a shame that nicer retail and restaurants don't come to our area, but understandable since Meyerland is right down the street. Look at me, I do all my grocery shopping at the Farmer's Market at 3000 Richmond and then go to the Kroger at Buffalo Speedway and then Whole Foods in Bellaire... I just don't like the produce at S. Post Oak Kroger, and I don't like the prices at Meyer Park Randall's. I'm as guilty as anyone for not supporting local business.

I used to work at Walmart (not the one here) and I think that Walmart has the same layout as the one I worked in 12 years ago! They usually update them better than that! I will never again set foot in our Walmart. I just act like it doesn't exist. Please do the same. Go to the Meyerland Target or wherever.

Sorry for the unrelated rambling. Hope you get those pics posted.

Jason

Kevin Jackson

• Like 1

here's a great historical aerial Erik (the freeway guy) has of the 610. If you go to the bottom of it you can see a house surrounded by undeveloped land. Is this what you're talking about?

I also should mention a plug for a company that Erik told me about. They're called Positive Image (on Stella Link) and they have lots of these old aerials. I went over and ordered a great photo of Willowbend from 1958. It was a great history lesson and they were very nice people. They've lived in Willow Meadows for years.

Jason

http://www.texasfreeway.com/Houston/histor...62_bellaire.jpg

• Like 1

here's a great historical aerial Erik (the freeway guy) has of the 610. If you go to the bottom of it you can see a house surrounded by undeveloped land. Is this what you're talking about?

I also should mention a plug for a company that Erik told me about. They're called Positive Image (on Stella Link) and they have lots of these old aerials. I went over and ordered a great photo of Willowbend from 1958. It was a great history lesson and they were very nice people. They've lived in Willow Meadows for years.

Jason

http://www.texasfreeway.com/Houston/histor...62_bellaire.jpg

Erik doesn't own or maintain texasfreeway.com, Ron Jackson does.

Kevin

• Like 1

Maybe it got torn down around the time of the 610 being built?

Having known Kenny Meyer from downtown, the story is, if I recall correctly, that his parents were the last to live in the house. When they moved out, it was vacant for while and they had plans to move the corporate offices there. While still vacant, it burned down, probably due to the homeless "accidentally" starting a fire.

• Like 1

Do any of your guys have photos or info on what I have always known as the "old Meyer property" at the NE corner of 610 Loop South & S. Post Oak, right across the freeway from the MeyerPark retail property.

I drove by the property this weekend along the westbound 610 feeder on my way into the Bellaire area.

Survey stakes.

• 3 weeks later...

No, the property bounded by Bray's Bayou to the north, 610W-Northbound feeder to the west, 610S-Westbound feeder to the south and Willow WaterHole Creek to the east. As mentioned above, there was once a auto service station on the Westbound feeder that was apparently subdivided from the property. The service station has been demolished, I'm not sure about the foundation.

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&a...mp;t=h&om=1

• Like 1

You have just convinced me to never set foot in there again.

I worked at Wal-Mart, so I feel exactly the same way - embarrassed - about our crappy Wal-Mart. I will never set foot in that store again either.

Don't know if their managers or regional managers will ever read this, but that's all for me...

I do like the Randall's, but only for "infill" like you said. Buffalo Speedway Kroger usually doesn't have much of a line, they have excellent selection, friendly associates, and reasonable prices.

Jason

I, too, usually drive seven miles to do my big grocery shopping at the Kroger on Buffalo Speedway. But I sometimes go to the one on South Post Oak for "infill" shopping. I just got back from that store, as a matter of fact, and I feel compelled to rant.

Why oh why is a store that is right next to Meyerland--a stone's throw away from $300+K homes--so frikkin' GHETTO?!? I agree that their produce, for the most part, is crap. Today, they had only FOUR kinds of apples. Four?!? When I checked out, I handed my surly, bored-looking cashier my coupons. She tried to scan the first one, rolled her eyes, then handed it back to me and said, "it don't scan." Argh! Look, I used to be a cashier at Kroger (not this one, thank goodness) and I know that not all coupons scan, even when they're valid--AS MINE WAS. I handed it back to her and dug through my bagged groceries to prove I'd bought the product in question, at which point she finally agreed to get an override. Then, when I unloaded my groceries into the car, I discovered that the bagger had put canned goods in with my produce. Yes, the produce is bad to begin with, but why make it worse?

Grrr. That store pisses me off. And, because I used to work at Kroger, it embarrasses me. It's almost always dirty, the produce is horrible, and most of the employees are indifferent at best. (To be fair, there are a few exceptions.)

The Randall's across the street is lovely, but its prices are too frikkin' high. Foodarama is clean but its selection is underwhelming. The HEB on S. Braeswood at Chimney Rock is miniscule and has an even smaller selection than Foodarama, its fine array of Kosher products notwithstanding. Belden's is nice, and their baguettes are the best kept secret in town, but their everyday prices are just as high as Safeway/Randall's.

THIS AREA DESPERATELY NEEDS A DECENT KROGER AND/OR HEB!!!

Thank you. I feel better for having vented. :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I was wondering what was happening at that property.

If its going to be McMansions, then they're building it in an area where not only flooding would/will be an issue, but accessibility is going to be a royal pain. It would have been even worse if they were building an apartment complex, though.

Sucks to be whoever is going to move there unless they enjoy total isolation and lousy access to support businesses.

• Like 1

It's my understanding from tonights Meyerland board meeting that this property was purchased by the city of Houston for construction of a detention pond. I believe that some of the land around the pond will be used as a park.

I was wondering what was happening at that property.

If its going to be McMansions, then they're building it in an area where not only flooding would/will be an issue, but accessibility is going to be a royal pain. It would have been even worse if they were building an apartment complex, though.

Sucks to be whoever is going to move there unless they enjoy total isolation and lousy access to support businesses.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...