Prudential Building At 1100 Holcombe Blvd.

20sGirl

I certainly hope that they do not tear that thing down!

It is a very distinct classic tower in the shiny new skyline of the TMC (esp with everything going up!)

Hopefully, this wont be destroyed like the Shamrock hotel!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

By sheer chance, I was in this building a couple of months ago.

Did you know that medical researchers sometimes randomly call people, and ask them to volunteer? It's true.

Someone called, and asked for my basic demographic information, then told me that they were looking for someone like myself, as a control for a cancer study. As luck would have it, their offices were located in the Prudential Building.

I was impressed by the circular area above the main lobby, and the mural - also the fountains in front of the building. The rest of the interior was unexceptional. If you stand back and look at it as a whole, it's a respectable (typical) mid-century high rise office building, and a pleasing design. I hope it's lovingly photographed before its inevitable demolition.

So far as it being some sort of iconic structure, I don't see it. While I'm sorry to see a nice example of mid-20th century architecture go down, it's not so exceptional to rate the outcry about its destruction IMO.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I remember swimming at the pool of the Prudential. My step-father was an executive there. They had tennis courts and a lanai like the Shamrock.

Flagstones made a huge patio around the pool.

I also had a memory for so long, which I could not confirm. Looking out of a very high building, but seeing bushes and trees at the same height.

I went up in the Prudential a few years ago, and found the old boad room. It had planters outside the windows, which explained the memory.

I so hope, that IF the building is torn down, the wonderful curved mural from the lobby can be saved. And the fountain out front.

• Like 1

I was ON Cadet Don's show in about 1967. It was a birthday show, and he gave me a Cowboy hat. He had a puppet named Seymour, who lived in a flying saucer.

Later, I remember Cadet Don Davis. HE sings occasionally in Houston with a folk group called "Traveller".

• Like 1

Guest danax
So far as it being some sort of iconic structure, I don't see it. While I'm sorry to see a nice example of mid-20th century architecture go down, it's not so exceptional to rate the outcry about its destruction IMO.

Yeah, I know what you mean but it's just that those 50s-60s buildings were plain by design and as such, are all the more vulnerable to being erased from the short list of remaining high-rises from that era. It's like no one figures they're worth saving. It's about the best one in town, that I can think of anyway. As for the interior, it might have been remodeled several times or just be could be a plain-jane from birth as the Moderne style was giving way to something less exotic.

It could be said that any eventual extinction of that era building would be a form of stylistic natural selection based on general unpopularity that just happens to coincide with the buildings needing complete revamping due to age and with a city-wide redevelopment cycle.

• 4 weeks later...
A friend of mine who works at M.D. Anderson is positive that the Old Prudential building is not coming down.  Has anyone heard any updates on this?  Is it still slated for demolition and inferior building replacement?

Hey, I can remember the Prudential Building back in the early 1960s. I can remember riding around at night and seeing the neon "rock" logo at the top of the building. What's the name of the street that it's on?

Chet Cuccia

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard rumors that b/c of the proximity of all the new construction, it would be extremely difficult to implode. That being the case, taking it apart piece-by-piece would be more expensive than renovating the building. So... that might be good news... no telling.

• Like 1

I've heard rumors that b/c of the proximity of all the new construction, it would be extremely difficult to implode.  That being the case, taking it apart piece-by-piece would be more expensive than renovating the building.  So... that might be good news... no telling.

Anyone have a picture of this building. I am having a hard time visualizing it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

it is still up and in use - the new tower(s) being built in the medical center, though, will be used to consolidate offices in leased space (apparently in prudential and nabisco buildings...).

it does need a bath, but i doubt it will get one before it is put to rest...:(

• Like 1