San Jacinto Monument At 1 Monument Cir.

The San Jacinto Monument IMO is a really wonderful piece of architecture in Houston.

It symbolizes Texas History almost as fine as the Alamo.

The only problem is its stuck way out in petrochemical/refinery heaven and is not at all a part of the Houston Skyline or anything of the like...

I think it would be quite interesting to have it relocated somewhere up Buffalo Bayou- possibly in the East End where they are going to redo Buffalo Bayou making parks out of it, etc.

Just off the Downtown Houston Skyline, but really a part of it...real close to town.

I think it'd also be interesting to move the Battleship up there as well...

I know its a crazy idea and of course it would not be the to close to where the battle of San Jacinto was...

I just think its wasted now because of where it is.

I think it could really add a great deal to Houston if it was right in town so it'd get much more exposure not just from locals, but tourists as well...

Thoughts?

i disagree...

all across Europe and other places around the world, monuments are not built just at the sight of battle.

Vietnam Memorial isn't in Vietnam...

I say place a small memorial at the current site...

Just hinking of ways to connect houston and texas' history with the world so to speak...

i disagree...

all across Europe and other places around the world, monuments are not built just at the sight of battle.

Vietnam Memorial isn't in Vietnam...

I say place a small memorial at the current site...

Just hinking of ways to connect houston and texas' history with the world so to speak...

If you take away that monument, you might as well move the U.S.S. Texas to Seawolf park, and turn San Jac battleground into a prohibited nature preserve, because absolutely no one would go to that sight. I totally see what you are saying, it just doesn't jive with Houston's sprawling nature.

It would be cool if the San Jacinto monument were downtown, or at least somewhere it could be viewed by the most people possible. How could you miss the Sam Houston statue in Huntsvile, and Texas heroes monument on Broadway in Galveston? But even I have never seen the San Jacinto monument in person, I have seen it on the net however. It should be a more accessible, intimate part of the city, imo.

One of those Texas historical markers would suffice at the battle site, and the monument itself could be moved. It's also not unheard of to move a statue, take the Clay statue in New Orleans for instance.

How many of us on have seen this statue on our visits to New Orleans? My guess would be, not many. Now had it been left at its previous location, (the middle of Canal Street) we would all be familiar with it!

Canal

plate4buy4.jpg

As it now stands in Lafayette Square

laffeyettesquareyq7.jpg

I understand that yall may want it more accessible to the masses. But it was built there because of what occurred there.

This isn't a statue to relocate, this is a pretty massive structure taller than the Washington Monument.

It would probably be easier and cheaper to build something similar where you want it( like the traveling Vietnam memorial AKA the moving wall-it's like it but smaller)

You can do what I plan to do..... just find the time and make an effort to get my bum out the site :D

Why not just plant lots of trees to block the views of the chemical-spewing neighbors? That area could use some landscaping. Half the year it's a hot, mosquito-infested uninviting field. A little horticulture could do wonders toward making it more attractive to visitors.

Jason in order to understand the enormity of the project that you and your friend Ghost are proposing, let me give you a little scale to the situation.

san_jacinto_monument-01.jpg

see those little things in a cluster at the bottom left of the pic, those are people.

well its an interesting proposal to say the least.

i understand the scope of a project like that...

i grew up in Pasadena and have always hated the fact that its mired in Chemical plants...

as for being at the site of the battle, true that...

as I said tho many memorials are built all over the world, that are not at the battleground....

think of arlington cemetary.

iwa jima

etc...

clearly the magnitude of such a project would prevent it from happening.

i just hate to see such a magnificent war memorial wasted...

interesting to think about tho...

Ghost is from Pasa-GET DOWN-dena ! I'm an ol' Redneck that grew up in Baytown, so Cheers to you. My oldman ran Flexitallic Gasket in Deer Park , all the plants around there use Flexitallic gaskets, for 15 years until I left for college in Mississippi, and he got a job over there. So don't feel bad about being an Oilfield kid, I think we are true Houstonians because our towns helped build Houston to what it is today.

I grew up looking at that Monument from the backyard of my Grandmother's house until 1983 when Alicia hit and wiped out Brownwood.

Guest Plastic

This is an idea so stupid even I don't likeit. I'd like to see you move The Washington Monument or Whitehouse from DC. That'd be like an

Israeli- Palistinian conflict.

wThere's noi need to move it. The Westside's got it own monument...........William's Tower. Besides it'll give atleast some reason for people to visit The East Side. The Battlegorund,The Bay,and petrochemical plants are about the only reason anybody would ever need to come to the Eastside of town.

And yes it would be an insignifigant monument without The Battleground.

Jason in order to understand the enormity of the project that you and your friend Ghost are proposing, let me give you a little scale to the situation.

san_jacinto_monument-01.jpg

see those little things in a cluster at the bottom left of the pic, those are people.

First off, allow me to ask why do people get so bent out of shape about these "what if" posts? Lets just have fun with them, maybe allow ourselves to get a little creative :) None of us actually expects the San Jacinto monument to be moved, or a "Mall of Texas" to be built.

TJones, since watching History Channel's Mega Movers I'm starting to believe almost anything can be moved! Surely it would be removed in sections also.

movedef8.jpg

I've often wondered what would happen to some of Galveston's stuctures, if one day the island was deemed uninhabitable. Maybe some structures could be saved and moved to the mainland? Sort of like an open air museum

Ghost is from Pasa-GET DOWN-dena ! I'm an ol' Redneck that grew up in Baytown, so Cheers to you. My oldman ran Flexitallic Gasket in Deer Park , all the plants around there use Flexitallic gaskets, for 15 years until I left for college in Mississippi, and he got a job over there. So don't feel bad about being an Oilfield kid, I think we are true Houstonians because our towns helped build Houston to what it is today.

I grew up looking at that Monument from the backyard of my Grandmother's house until 1983 when Alicia hit and wiped out Brownwood.

Ha- i left there as fast as I could...

we lived just down Richie Street and got the first wind of Champion Papers every morning...that and the acid rain...

Old man worked at Armco Steele Co up off Federal then over in your neck of the woods TJones- working at USSteel in Baytown till the american steel industry fell out...

I don't feel bad about being an oil field kid- everytime I see refinery row, i smell money...

i now work for an oil major...corporate tho...

First off, allow me to ask why do people get so bent out of shape about these "what if" posts? Lets just have fun with them, maybe allow ourselves to get a little creative :) None of us actually expects the San Jacinto monument to be moved, or a "Mall of Texas" to be built.

ya i too wonder why people get their panties in a twist...

we're all here cause we'd love architecture/skylines/real estate, etc...

so let just have fun discussing even issues or ideas we think are stupid...

ya i too wonder why people get their panties in a twist...

we're all here cause we'd love architecture/skylines/real estate, etc...

so let just have fun discussing even issues or ideas we think are stupid...

Those words should be written in a banner across the top of this forum. I get so sick of the childish insult games that get played here, although I blush to admit being sucked into a few of them...

I think moving the San Jacinto would be much more challenging than either of the moves pictured, given its enormous weight. That is stone on there folks, 584 feet of it if I'm not wrong, and it doesn't disassemble like the stuff at IKEA.

To me, all the oil refineries is part of the experience of going there. As a kid, I was awed looking at all those plants on the drive out 225. Of course, I knew nothing about environmentalism, or urbanism, or any other ism. It was just cool.

I also have great memories of flying home from college in Chicago and spotting its spire from the plane soaring above all the chemical plants. I was a homesick Houstonian, and once I was so excited to see it that I actually pointed it out to the lady in the seat behind me, explaining what it was (she was not from Houston), and she thanked me in a somewhat bemused way.

And every time I leave on a road trip for the East Coast, I always remember to look through that break in the trees along Interstate 10 and see it as a last goodbye on my way out... and as a first hello on my way back in.

Someone once said Houston reminded him of the Lord of the Rings, the two towers. The S.J. Monument being one, and the Williams Tower being the other.

I don't like the lord of the Rings, but thats a neat observation.

I like it in its current location. Not only is it the battle grounds it represents, but Its cool to see a giant star topped monument rising above the clustered refinary towers.

At night, it looks like Manhattan.

I am not sure why, But I love the Industrial environment its in, just like the Fred Hartmen Bridge. If only it didn't smell bad.

Someone once said Houston reminded him of the Lord of the Rings, the two towers. The S.J. Monument being one, and the Williams Tower being the other.

I don't like the lord of the Rings, but thats a neat observation.

I like it in its current location. Not only is it the battle grounds it represents, but Its cool to see a giant star topped monument rising above the clustered refinary towers.

At night, it looks like Manhattan.

I am not sure why, But I love the Industrial environment its in, just like the Fred Hartmen Bridge. If only it didn't smell bad.

Yeah, I agree. The massive scale and imposing nature of all those lit towers has always been awe-inspiring as far as I'm concerned. The 610, BW8, and 146 bridges are my favorite stretches of freeway in town.

From a certain angle off of the Fred Hartman bridge, you can even see as far as Downtown on a clear day.

Yeah, I agree. The massive scale and imposing nature of all those lit towers has always been awe-inspiring as far as I'm concerned. The 610, BW8, and 146 bridges are my favorite stretches of freeway in town.

From a certain angle off of the Fred Hartman bridge, you can even see as far as Downtown on a clear day.

Wait, you agree with me? :D:wub:

Wait, you agree with me? :D:wub:

Count me in. One of my favorite places to take out-of-towners was the 225 tank farms, then grab a beer at The Point Icehouse. That's the kind of stuff you just don't see anywhere else. Of course, if you don't like that kind of stuff, you probably don't like watching 'Modern Marvels', either. :huh:

• 5 months later...

TJones, since watching History Channel's Mega Movers I'm starting to believe almost anything can be moved! Surely it would be removed in sections also.

movedef8.jpg

I've often wondered what would happen to some of Galveston's stuctures, if one day the island was deemed uninhabitable. Maybe some structures could be saved and moved to the mainland? Sort of like an open air museum

I know exactly where your coming from as far as people (on this forum) getting all goofy about a mere suggestion. I have worked in a corporate environment for many years and we were always trained and had to follow strict guidelines and use common courtesies when exchanging email. People could end up in court, etc.

but to answer the question about moving structures. I too am seriously wondering how and when this could start. I am sure it could cost millions to get started. I am very much into renovations and saving historic homes and so on. $ would be the biggest hurdle for sure. When and if it starts, please have them put next door to me here in the near East End so we could become another Heights minus the high tax of course. Cheers!

of course it would not be close to where the battle of San Jacinto was.

You just answered your own question. It makes no sense to commemorate a historic battle anywhere but the very ground on which the battle took place. There are memorials and monuments for entire wars, and it doesn't make much difference where you put those, but a battle was fought at a particular place, and that's where the monument to that battle should be.

To people who lost loved ones at San Jacinto, it's not just a battleground. It's holy ground.

You just answered your own question. It makes no sense to commemorate a historic battle anywhere but the very ground on which the battle took place. There are memorials and monuments for entire wars, and it doesn't make much difference where you put those, but a battle was fought at a particular place, and that's where the monument to that battle should be.

To people who lost loved ones at San Jacinto, it's not just a battleground. It's holy ground.

Your correct,

I was referencing others threads about how some people in general rush and miss the point of a specific topic. I was also trying to emphasize the importance of moving homes not monuments. Since I am into renovations and restoration. I was not speaking of your particular comment.

Peace! or Like Rodney King said "Why can't we all just get along" (as LA was burning in cinders in the background)

Archived