Villagio Town Center: Mixed-Use In Katy

westguy76

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't think you can call these failures:

1. Buffalo Wings and Rings - the owner was NEVER there - had a full time job elsewhere. Was his first ever restaurant. Overbuilt to the hilt for a Wing store, and paid no attention to demographics, his food was horrible, and he hired kids that had no concept of the meaning of work. My opinion - he never really tried.

2. Lord Byron's never opened for business, so technically he didn't fail.

3. The Paper Store is still open for business.

None of these 'failures' had anything to do with location. But I agree, more center-wide advertising would help.

I agree the wings place was not all that great. Paper store has been for sale for several months. There is still much to be desired regarding this property and since you handle the leasing for the owners, I know your opinions are a bit biased. I am also in the real estate business and perhaps, we should agree to disagree on the creditability of the owners.

I agree the wings place was not all that great. Paper store has been for sale for several months. There is still much to be desired regarding this property and since you handle the leasing for the owners, I know your opinions are a bit biased. I am also in the real estate business and perhaps, we should agree to disagree on the creditability of the owners.

Don't Feed The Troll !!

I think it can not be stated enough...advertising is the key in this market area...with all the various neighborhoods and such, the area is a bit disjointed in creating the buzz and warm and fuzzy's like a Sugar Land does...at La Centera, you have a vibe goin on there as well as massive daily traffic because of the schools and of course the large Target with all the fast food joints...in order for the tenants in the Villagio to make an impact in this market, they need the support of not only each other in creating that buzz as an entertainment mecca for the area, but they will need it from the developer/owner of the center. I like the vibe of the center and the energy that could be created with the right marketing campaign...you have the new greek restaraunt, Berry Hill's the italian place as well as the Tokyo Steakhouse, there is the Stadia, angel in the ox as well as the new italian ice cream place getting ready to open within the next 30 days...couple that with the pastry shop and the book store, I'd say that's a pretty good mix...with the owner/operators coming together and hosting courtyard events and such, that could go a long way for getting people into the seats...this center sits in the apex of the Grand Lakes and Cinco Ranch developments and the owners should bank on that...take the Lord Byron's place...did any of you know that it has a plus or minus 200 SF humidor in there? Or poker tables? That place could be a home run with the right group coming in...team up with the other bar/grills and it's like going down to the old Rice Village..they feed off of each other in a good way...they don't need to compete against each other...they need to work together and with the ownership of the center....heck I think I just convinced myself on what I need to do...lmao!

CandW nailed it. I drove through Villagio last Friday at lunchtime and the place is just dead. I really hope the developer can get their act together and promote this place and get the critical mass of retail tenant and office space filled so these places can make it. I don't see how these retailers and eateries can make it without a lunch crowd relying only on evening and weekend patrons. I'm no marketing genius but some kind of open house or festival with free food, drinks, a band, freebies or activity for the kids, etc if promoted and advertised properly will get people on site. I know for a fact that there are many people not even aware this developement exists and they live 3 miles away. These are middle to upper middle class people that don't mind spending money on eating out, drinks, etc.

bcnet...thanks for the compliment...but look at it this way...they don't need the lunch crowd to survive and prosper...the dinner crowd spends more money on both food and drink...look at your average lunch tab...maybe $10.00 per diem...dinner service will include you, the wife and plus or minus two kiddos...you are looking at a minimum $30.00 tab...factor in a couple of drinks for the parents on a weekend evening and you quickly go up to a $50 tab...another way to look at this environment is Downtown Houston...similar type of market just in reverse....they are a lunch crowd with limited dinner service...what does survive in the CBD are the bars...the restaurants for the most part close up around 4 p.m....there are a few that stay open later, but are limited....coming back to home, people are looking for an energized area with folks/neighbors hanging out in the courtyard, enjoying the afternoon/evening...the Villagio could have that....nightime is the right time, lol...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like Cinco Ranch and Grand Lakes may be getting a locally based and owned tavern in this center. I don't know the name of the new spot, but it's supposed to have an upscale look, with great customer service at a reasonable price point. They will be providing upscale "bar" food as well. From what I know, the executive chef that designed the menu for the original Ruggles is part of the operations team. I'll let you guys know more as I hear more.

Well, it looks like Cinco Ranch and Grand Lakes may be getting a locally based and owned tavern in this center. I don't know the name of the new spot, but it's supposed to have an upscale look, with great customer service at a reasonable price point. They will be providing upscale "bar" food as well. From what I know, the executive chef that designed the menu for the original Ruggles is part of the operations team. I'll let you guys know more as I hear more.

In Villagio?

Stadia Sports Grill

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...st&p=289651

After seeing many questions concerning the Villagio, I just wanted to share my opinions of the new stops in the Villagio center:

Ate at the new Stadia sports bar and grill. My take was it resembles a smaller version of the Fox Grill in Galleria. The food, at least what I had, was very good - much different than the wings place that was there before. I have a feeling this place will have staying power, not to mention the signage on the front is much more visible than the previous owner. I will be back.

But my biggest excitement is the new Irish Pub going in!!! This I believe, will be a big hit. Finally some traditional Irish food and music in Katy. WIth the oil and gas expats out here, it should be a good addition. On the other hand, they are predicting a Dec 26th opening, and I say no way. They still have work to do in there as plenty of contractors were working out there yesterday. I'd say more like mid January. I think the name was Angel and the Ox pub.

Overall, I'd like to see Villagio turn into something like a family friendly mini-Rice Village.

After seeing many questions concerning the Villagio, I just wanted to share my opinions of the new stops in the Villagio center:

Ate at the new Stadia sports bar and grill. My take was it resembles a smaller version of the Fox Grill in Galleria. The food, at least what I had, was very good - much different than the wings place that was there before. I have a feeling this place will have staying power, not to mention the signage on the front is much more visible than the previous owner. I will be back.

But my biggest excitement is the new Irish Pub going in!!! This I believe, will be a big hit. Finally some traditional Irish food and music in Katy. WIth the oil and gas expats out here, it should be a good addition. On the other hand, they are predicting a Dec 26th opening, and I say no way. They still have work to do in there as plenty of contractors were working out there yesterday. I'd say more like mid January. I think the name was Angel and the Ox pub.

Overall, I'd like to see Villagio turn into something like a family friendly mini-Rice Village.

Don't they already have a Pub place at La Centerra??

I agree with Standeck. I like Baker Street fine, but it's a chain and you know that it's a chain the minute you walk in. I'm hopeful that the Angel and the Ox is going to be a little more authentic.

BTW, you can register on their website to receive their newsletter which contains updates on their progress. www.theangelandtheox.com

The Gelato place at the back of the center is really great. I hope it gets the traffic it needs to stay. Very authentic and the Panini's are very good too. I happened to stop by on Sunday and it wasn't really visible that they were actually open but I was pleasantly surprised when I entered. Also it looks like the Greek restaurant is making the final touches before their grand opening as well.

Looks like the group is getting closer to finalizing a lease of space for a new bar in Villagio. They will be opening in the old Lord Byron's spot. New ownership group, new name and new attitude. I should have more information in the coming days. This place will still have an upscale feel that this area sorely needs, not be a chain like Baker Street and will have local ownership in place throughout operations. They are also thinking of doing a "party on the plaza" on Thursday nights with a live band. With all the food tenants, this place could be a rock solid fun destination for the area. Instead of having to go three different directions for food, you can get it all. Italian, Greek, Irish, Mexican, Japan and American. I heard the proposed name is Prospekts. I'll let you folks now more as it gets closer.

Looks like the group is getting closer to finalizing a lease of space for a new bar in Villagio. They will be opening in the old Lord Byron's spot. New ownership group, new name and new attitude. I should have more information in the coming days. This place will still have an upscale feel that this area sorely needs, not be a chain like Baker Street and will have local ownership in place throughout operations. They are also thinking of doing a "party on the plaza" on Thursday nights with a live band. With all the food tenants, this place could be a rock solid fun destination for the area. Instead of having to go three different directions for food, you can get it all. Italian, Greek, Irish, Mexican, Japan and American. I heard the proposed name is Prospekts. I'll let you folks now more as it gets closer.

I hope that you're right.

Went by Villagio tonight and the center was absolutely dead. Several more businesses have gone out, including Azzarelli's. The Gelato place is now open but was completely empty. Good news is that the Greek restaurant looks close to opening, but The Angel and The Ox has been pushed to a January opening.

This is very frustrating to watch. This is exactly the kind of center that we would all like to see thrive in the area and it is getting wasted by mismanagement.

I hope that you're right.

Went by Villagio tonight and the center was absolutely dead. Several more businesses have gone out, including Azzarelli's. The Gelato place is now open but was completely empty. Good news is that the Greek restaurant looks close to opening, but The Angel and The Ox has been pushed to a January opening.

This is very frustrating to watch. This is exactly the kind of center that we would all like to see thrive in the area and it is getting wasted by mismanagement.

I think that Azarellis moved to I-10 and Barker Cypress, by those two new hospitals that they are building, besides Bally Total Fitness.

I think that Azarellis moved to I-10 and Barker Cypress, by those two new hospitals that they are building, besides Bally Total Fitness.

According to their website, the I-10 location was to be their 2nd Katy restaurant, now it looks like it will be the only one.

I think the Villagio suffers from a lack of visibility. It's a couple of blocks away from 99 so it doesn't get the drive by traffic that La Centerra does and it's nicely landscaped which hides the stores a bit (no good deed goes unpunished)! Also, they don't do a lot of promotions that would draw from a wider area, it's almost a neighborhood thing which is nice if you live nearby, but it's going to be tough for the businesses to achieve critical mass.

Regarding Azzarelli's, I was one of their biggest fans and ate there at least once a week. Rumor has it that Bistro 829 is interested in the space.

Yep went by there this evening and the new sports bar was looking pretty empty. Don't see them lasting to long.

A sports bar with no one in it on Sunday NFL final weekend doesn't bode to well.

My husband & I wanted to go to Stadia yesterday for some football & food. They were locked up tight! Closed for New Years Day. While I understand some businesses are closed on New Years, but a SPORTS BAR on a BIG football day! We were not the only vehicle circiling. Sad that they are so new & already lost business.

My husband & I wanted to go to Stadia yesterday for some football & food. They were locked up tight! Closed for New Years Day. While I understand some businesses are closed on New Years, but a SPORTS BAR on a BIG football day! We were not the only vehicle circiling. Sad that they are so new & already lost business.

Absolutely Ridiculous!

I would agree with all your comments. As I have stated before, the center is in a good location to capture the east of GP residents. If the center owner along with the tenants grouped their ad dollars together, they could all be successful. It's my understanding that Azzareli's is not shutting down, they are rebranding and will reopen under a different name with a similar menu but more family friendly. As for the Stadia being shuttered on New Year's, they were not the only ones to do that, but when you are a new venture you have to step up to the plate and run it rain or shine...especially with the current economic climate...people in general expect certain types of establishments to be open and available to them most days of the year...for them to do that is just bad business IMHO...I am representing the group looking to fire up the old Lord Byron's location that I have commented on here...the team we have assembled are all very well versed in both real estate and in the food service industry. We are looking to capture the "cheers bar" concept because we know and understand and respect that is what this area is lacking. Not to blast Baker Street, but IMO going there is like going to Chili's..it's a national chain...the group I am heading up are all local's and will have owner representation most hours of the day to not only oversee the operations, but to service our neighbors needs....I know some of the next questions/comments:

Yes, we will be serving quality wines and import beer. We will also continue full bar service along with a limited menu that will in our opinion allow for better quality versus 75 choices. We will also provide better service from the staff and provide for regular hours of service versus whenever the manager decided to open the door. Smoking cigars will be limited and we will most likely not make them available. That is something the partnership is still toiling with.

When will we open? IF we can come to terms, we are shooting for a Feb/March opening.

I would agree with all your comments. As I have stated before, the center is in a good location to capture the east of GP residents. If the center owner along with the tenants grouped their ad dollars together, they could all be successful. It's my understanding that Azzareli's is not shutting down, they are rebranding and will reopen under a different name with a similar menu but more family friendly. As for the Stadia being shuttered on New Year's, they were not the only ones to do that, but when you are a new venture you have to step up to the plate and run it rain or shine...especially with the current economic climate...people in general expect certain types of establishments to be open and available to them most days of the year...for them to do that is just bad business IMHO...I am representing the group looking to fire up the old Lord Byron's location that I have commented on here...the team we have assembled are all very well versed in both real estate and in the food service industry. We are looking to capture the "cheers bar" concept because we know and understand and respect that is what this area is lacking. Not to blast Baker Street, but IMO going there is like going to Chili's..it's a national chain...the group I am heading up are all local's and will have owner representation most hours of the day to not only oversee the operations, but to service our neighbors needs....I know some of the next questions/comments:

Yes, we will be serving quality wines and import beer. We will also continue full bar service along with a limited menu that will in our opinion allow for better quality versus 75 choices. We will also provide better service from the staff and provide for regular hours of service versus whenever the manager decided to open the door. Smoking cigars will be limited and we will most likely not make them available. That is something the partnership is still toiling with.

When will we open? IF we can come to terms, we are shooting for a Feb/March opening.

I'm happy to read everything you wrote. I used to go to lunch at Azzarelli's at least once a month with clients and I loved the food. I want to see Villagio succeed and I'm all for a neighborhood bar. I live west of Grand Parkway but to have a nice neighborhood bar that you can get to know the owners will be welcome. Best of luck to you and I'm hoping you get your place opened for March Madness. I know there is a sports bar around the corner but I'd like the opportunity to choose which bar I watched the games at and I don't need EVERY game at once.

I have to agree about the neighborhood bar concept. I like Baker St. okay, and was thrilled when they first opened, and it's easy to bring our toddler there. However, I'd like a neighborhood concept, even though I live down at the end of Fry Rd in Cinco SW. I think the Lord Byron place along with the new Irish pub will be some nice additions to "bar hop" in the Villagio. What would happen to the humidor, just curious? B)

That's kind of the idea is to bring a bit of the Rice Village concept out to Cinco/Grand Lakes regarding being able to stay in one place to eat and play so to speak.

As for the humidor, not sure at this point. We have some ideas on the direction to take but not really sure at this point. Keep in mind this is not a done deal as there are several groups interested in opening this concept again. We are in a "wait and see what happens" mode. If it's not our group that is granted this opportunity, I am confident that whomever moves in will be very successful as long as they manage the concept correctly and respect the neighorhoods they are servicing. We like to thank of ourselves as your neighbors seeing as we do live in the neighborhoods around here. I am actually a Katy native and still live in the Katy area.

Archived