Sydney Harbour Subdivision

invincible569

Right now, Sydney Harbour has 3 builders constructing new homes in this waterfront subdivision. Princeton, J. Patrick and CastleRock are in today and they had David Weekley a couple months back. Does anyone know what the new home builders will be in this subdivision? They have tons of land/lots left and I havent seen it sell as fast as the other waterfront areas across Houston. If anyone has any information, please comment. I did look up the High School and the kids would be attending Cypress Woods. They are also calling the North section (Huffmeister), Sydney Harbour Estates.. but havent seen the reasoning why except the brick driveways and 3 car garages vs the other section (Cypress Rosehill entrance).

Here is the main link: http://www.sydneyharbourhouston.com/

We live in this zone. Great neighborhoods from top to bottom zoned to this school. Only one apartment complex, and its an expensive executive-style complex in front of Coles Crossing.

If you like 'lake' neighborhoods, you may check out Leyland Shores, its' pricey ($380's to $500's), but they've got big lots.

Cy-Woods is solid.

It hasn't even opened yet (opens this Fall), but this should be one of the best high schools in the state. Great demographics. Solid schools. Go for it!

None of the Cy-High Schools are in the top 1000 best high schools, but would be good for Cypress Woods (nice name), to make it.

How many more Cy's will there be. They are running out of them. Woods is probably the last one. Maybe there will be a Cy-Bridgeland, or Cy-Blackhorse, or Cy-290, or a Cy-Grand Parkway. I'm just playin...

Trae, quit being a troll.

As if those rankings are worth a damn.

Aren't you in highschool?

There are 2 more highschools under construction:

Cypress Lakes and Cypress Ranch

Cypress Lakes will relieve Cypress Springs High School. Cypress Springs is more diverse than other schools in the district, containing a lot of the 'cookie cutter' housing our friend Trae was talking about. There are two such schools like this in the district, Cy-Springs and Cy-Ridge.

Cypress Ranch will relieve Cypress Woods High School (which opens this Fall). Cypress Ranch will take in Blackhorse (where it's actually located), Bridgeland, Cypress Creek Lakes and others. Should be another nice school.

Sydney Harbor?

Yeah, when I think of the Opera House, the beautiful ocean, and the backdrop of Sydney's skyscrapers towering over one of Australia's most beautiful cities, I think of Spring-Cypress!

Where do they come up with these names?

There should be a law requiring these places to have honest names like...

Clear Cutlerville

Used to be Treesland

BigBoxatopia

Sprawlinglotgomery

Sydney Harbor?

Yeah, when I think of the Opera House, the beautiful ocean, and the backdrop of Sydney's skyscrapers towering over one of Australia's most beautiful cities, I think of Spring-Cypress!

Where do they come up with these names?

There should be a law requiring these places to have honest names like...

Clear Cutlerville

Used to be Treesland

BigBoxatopia

Sprawlinglotgomery

I made a similar post on the Katy board concerning Westheimer Lakes. The number of high

schools that Cy-Fair is churning out is starting to scare me. 3 more?!! You've gotta be kidding me.

The number of high schools they have now is the number of elementary schools they had back when I

started school. I remember when, if you lived anywhere past Hwy 6, you were out in the middle

of nowhere, and I'm only 25. It's a shame that there are no natural geographical boundaries in NW Houston that would put a check on all this senseless high school construction. I don't care if the

demographics support it. People should quit moving here. Native Houstonians only. Okay, I'm kidding.

Hehe.

You're definitely correct about Cy-Fair/Cypress area, Klein, Spring, and Katy. Sugarland used to be mostly native Houstonians, but that percentage has gotten lower in the last 10 years. The Woodlands was mostly native Houstonians and New York transplants, but recently (post 1995) has become the place marketed to upper middle income professional newcomers.

As for where I live now, I hardly ever see any native Houstonians, or even people who have lived here more than 5 years for that matter. I have a 6th sense for native or long time Houstonians, and the people I see while shopping or driving in my car to work are not either. Of course, everything has just gotten confusing with the population of Houston area surging now that it's well known for low cost of living.

I live at Beltway 8 and West Rd near Jersey Village. My area used to be a very quiet and tranquil suburb of Houston, but now it's become way overpopulated with apartments, schools, grocery stores, gas stations, strip centers, pretty much all clumped together at one intersection. Not even 6 years ago there was nothing there. Now it's a mess. Stupid commercial developers, thanks for ruining my lily white community.

I'm 26 and went to school in CFISD and remember the same thing. Anything past 1960 was just prairie. Today we were on 1960 and took it to 290/Cypress Rosehill and decided we won't go that way back to Tomball again. Yikes that traffic is horrible at 5:30.

I made a similar post on the Katy board concerning Westheimer Lakes. The number of high

schools that Cy-Fair is churning out is starting to scare me. 3 more?!! You've gotta be kidding me.

The number of high schools they have now is the number of elementary schools they had back when I

started school. I remember when, if you lived anywhere past Hwy 6, you were out in the middle

of nowhere, and I'm only 25. It's a shame that there are no natural geographical boundaries in NW Houston that would put a check on all this senseless high school construction. I don't care if the

demographics support it. People should quit moving here. Native Houstonians only. Okay, I'm kidding.

Hehe.

Wow! That is magnificent! I really thought I was looking at the actual Washington Monument!

::sarcasm::

Whoever developed and/or did the marketing for that subidivsion should be required by law to tear down the monument and put something normal in place like a retention pond or a subdivision park with swingsets or a swimming pool for the kids.

If any developer is reading this: get a clue! The whole lakefront property gimmick is old and the neighborhoods employing this concept are ugly and without character/soul. Stop with the cookie-cutter lakes already.

I disagree about the lakefront 'gimmick'.

Developers are required to have retention ponds to mitigate flooding. These days, they are built into the neighborhoods as landscape features, whereas in years past, they were just hidden in the back of neighborhoods.

I think these work well in areas without trees, providing pleasant scenery and features where once there was none.

Most of these neighborhoods are usually pretty nice. Have you ever been to the Lakes on Eldridge? Lismore Lakes?

Yes, I like to drive around and look at stuff in my spare time, so I'm sure I've seen them all at some point. It's all my opinion though, and that's why I'll live in the Woodlands or the Heights before I live in Sydney Harbor, if I'm going to live somewhere trendy. If I want to be modest, I'll just live off of 290 and Bingle or something. They have some great neighborhoods along 290 between Hollister and Loop 610 where fake lakes are nowhere to be seen. If you're right about the hidden retention ponds from years past, they certainly did a good job of hiding them in the neighborhoods built in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s, and in small town neighborhoods built in the same decades.

I have a question also. Are these people who want to live in Firethorne and Bridgeland wanting to be a part of Houston suburbia or are they trying to live in the city limits of a small town outside of Houston. Firethorne is very close to being in Monaville or Brookshire city limits. I believe it's actually in Fulshear. Bridgeland is very close to being in Hockley city limits.

Firethorne is a few feet away from Katy city limits. North Firethorne Road is actually where Katy city limit ends. The first half of Firethorne is in Katy ETJ. The second half that will soon be built will be in Fulshear's ETJ.

PureAuteur, I take it you're not a parent or a homeowner?

If you're right about the hidden retention ponds from years past, they certainly did a good job of hiding them in the neighborhoods built in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s, and in small town neighborhoods built in the same decades.
As the years go by, development standards change. In the early 90's they started requiring new developments have retention ponds or similar flood control devices. Towards the 2000's developers began building the retention ponds in as part of the landscape scenery. Most older developments don't have them.
Are these people who want to live in Firethorne and Bridgeland wanting to be a part of Houston suburbia or are they trying to live in the city limits of a small town outside of Houston.

I think they're just looking for a nice home, in a nice community, with nice schools. In short, simply looking for a nice place to raise a family.

Isn't everyone that has a family? I'm just wondering if these neighborhoods are being built to support the Houston economy or if they are just providing more neighborhoods for the little towns like Hockley and Fulshear, and they just happen to be near the outer ring of Houston suburbs?

Since I've said a few negative things reflecting my opinion, I'll balance it out by saying something positive that reflects my opinion. Longwood is a very nice subdivision. Every time I drive through there I admire how nice it looks, from the preservation of the trees to the home designs. The architectural style is nothing too unique, just standard nw houston suburban style but the designs are more original than some of the others I've seen. My parents were looking there in the early 90s, but decided to stay in the Jersey Village school zone, so we moved to the West Rd. community (Willowbridge, Winchester Trails, Winchester Country, etc.) I should have spoken up at the time, but I didn't really know any better. I could have been living in Longwood right now. I guess the plus side is that I can hop on the Beltway in 30 seconds.

I think they're just looking for a nice home, in a nice community, with nice schools. In short, simply looking for a nice place to raise a family.

With the combination of the persistently dangerous Cy-Ridge High and tacky houses on fake lakes, who could resist the allure of Cy-World to raise your family?

[No wonder Xanax is one of the preferred drugs. I'd have to be heavily medicated 24/7. And how embarrassing to tell someone you live in Sydney Harbor and have them answer back, "OH! I've always wanted to go to Australia! Your explanation would involve an uncomfortable degree of humiliation.]

With the combination of the persistently dangerous Cy-Ridge High and tacky houses on fake lakes, who could resist the allure of Cy-World to raise your family?

[No wonder Xanax is one of the preferred drugs. I'd have to be heavily medicated 24/7. And how embarrassing to tell someone you live in Sydney Harbor and have them answer back, "OH! I've always wanted to go to Australia! Your explanation would involve an uncomfortable degree of humiliation.]

Uh, oh....hysterical gay man expressing his hatred of all things suburban. :unsure: I doubt I'd want to live in the burbs if I were gay either. Then again, you don't have to worry about taking care of a family do you? It's a whole different set of concerns. I suppose gays are as out of place in the burbs as families are in the city. :ph34r: Why would your opinion be anything but surprising? Simple realities.

There just aren't a lot of places in the city for families anymore. There never really were. People escape the city for obvious reasons. Crime, pollution, overcrowding...you name it. We lived in Midtown for 6 years. Liked it when we were younger, but it got pretty old, especially after having a kid. Different strokes for different folks.

I find it humorous, that the same people who call a $600,000 custom home on a lakefront community 'tacky' will embellish and rave about some generic cheezy minimalist Mod home. Personally, I prefer my home in a nice wooded golf course community, but to each his own. Many of those lakefront communties are pretty damn nice, too...even if they do have cheezy names like 'Sydney Harbour'... ;)

Uh, oh....hysterical gay man expressing his hatred of all things suburban. :unsure: I doubt I'd want to live in the burbs if I were gay either. Then again, you don't have to worry about taking care of a family do you? It's a whole different set of concerns. I suppose gays are as out of place in the burbs as families are in the city. :ph34r: Why would your opinion be anything but surprising? Simple realities.

If you have issues with gay men and women, I suggest deal with it or keep it to yourself. You'd be surprised how many gay couples live in the suburbs-even Cy-Fair-with their children but not as many that are straight with children in the city. Your assumptions regarding race, economic status and now gays continue to reveal your true nature.

Archived