First Car

Heights2Bastrop

TBird posted a photo of his first car in the thread on old amusement parks. What was your first car? Do you have a photo of it? Any special memories associated with it (remember, this is a G-Rated site)?

This was my first car

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest danax

'64 Ford Falcon Wagon with fake wood grain, 260 CI V8 automatic. It was Mom's car until she got a brand new '74 Mustang (what a hunk of crap).

I worked for a year or so until I got my own Mustang. I did miss the fold-down rear seat in the Falcon though.. ;) .

'64 Ford Falcon Wagon with fake wood grain, 260 CI V8 automatic. It was Mom's car until she got a brand new '74 Mustang (what a hunk of crap).

It worked for a year or so until I got my own Mustang. I did miss the fold-down rear seat in the Falcon though.. ;) .

The "hand me down" family's red station wagon with brown side paneling..... and oh yes no carpet (I got it after a '70's Houston flood)...... installed an 8 track player.... to play Ted Nugent, Led Zepplin and Fog Hat.... and I was good to go!!!!!

1986 Chevy Cavalier...gray, automatic, 4 cylinders.

Bought it in 1992 and drove it till it died in 1996 with 150k on it. Drove it all through college and never spent too much in the way of maintenance. It was leaking oil like a sieve in its last days....I used to buy oil every time I filled up to top the engine off. :(

a786.gif

Then in '96, I bought my first NEW car...the '96 Honda Civic. That thing was great...drove it everywhere. Put 32,000 miles on it the first year and 30,000 the second year just driving around on road trips. Unfortunately it was totalled in a car accident in 2003...with 150k on it too. It was still purring like a kitten...I hated to see it go.

I figure my current car has some time left...it's only got 125k on it. Should be good for another 25k before the TimmyChan's 150k curse kills it.

The first car I was allowed to drive on a regular basis was a black '86 Dodge Caravan. Called it the Lil' Flyin Box.

The first car that was actually mine was a 1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo.

Its the square looking one in the background:

Image08.jpg

civic80.jpg

1980 Honda Civic - just like this one! Awesome car, it had over 300,000 miles on it and was still running when I sold it to my cousin, who failed to keep oil in it and it eventually died way too soon. It still had at least another 50 - 100,000 miles of life in it!

In August 1986, I used my summer job money to buy my first car, $1030 got me a 1969 Chevy Malibu. It was a sweet car. Plum colored. Drove like a piece and lasted less than a year. Got numerous saturday work detentions at Kinkaid for driving off campus for lunch (not allowed) and then having the old piece die on me at Antone's, Mr. Gatti's, or Chili's on Richmond.

1969malibu041206.jpg

On the times that it didn't die on me, I'd return to school to see my name written on the principal's board anyway. Seems as if a purple 1969 Malibu stood out amongst all the candy apple red bmws of the other students!

This is an actual photo I took in the tow yard after I flipped my '02 black Honda Civic the night before.

While not my first (I had a '92 black Honda Civic EX), this was my first NEW car.

I now have an '04 black Honda Element EX. I have a thing for black cars.

DSC03767.jpg

Grandma's hand-me-down from 1961

Exactly like this one. red, 4-door, 6 cyl, 3-on-the-tree,

and the orignal tube am radio with Conelrad/Civil Defense stations marked.

130705045126.jpg

70lemans_1.jpg

1970 Green Pontiac LeMans. It was my grandfather's car, then my brother's car, then mine. We figured out that the seatbelt buckles also doubled as bottle openers. I guess I have something in common with Mayor White's daughter! :P

We called it the Tuna Boat, because of it's size. When I looked over the hood, all I saw was a sea of green.

I had a dark grey 1982 VW Rabbit convertible with a black top, red pinstripe and red leatherette interior...LOVED THAT CAR! It was the most fun car I ever had! Now all I want is a lime green bug convertible...try to recapture those glory days, listening to Depeche Mode, Erasure, and New Order in that thing! Nowadays I guess it's more like Laurie Berkner for my 14 month old daughter LOL...

Well, I held out as long as I could.

2776olds_4x4.jpg

Here is my first car/truck. my MOM was very protective of me.

Actually, this is what my first car looked like. Same color, but alot better shape. I am currently looking for MY pictures. I had to bum someone else's online.

72b.jpg

And, of course all of you here already know Charlene ! My current ride.

24vp4zp.jpg

First car: 1962 Rambler Classic Sedan. Derelict family car restored by my mom and dad. Pink with white top, folding "Nash bed" front seats, pushbutton auto transmission. I still miss it.

amc_6201.JPG

In college I had a pair of mid-70's Chevy Suburbans. Not terribly reliable vehicles.

First car I bought and paid for myself: 1986 Honda Civic Wagon, white, 5 speed. I still have it, 200,000+ miles.

HON2004081272282_pv.jpg

My first nice car, stiil my daily driver with 125,000 miles: 1999 Audi A4 Avant

99audia4.jpg

Marty

First car I bought and paid for myself: 1986 Honda Civic Wagon, white, 5 speed. I still have it, 200,000+ miles.

HON2004081272282_pv.jpg

My mom had that exact car in the exact color. It was reliable and never fell apart, unlike the stupid 1989 Ford Aerostar we replaced it with, which started showing signs of failure within 2 years.

My mom had that exact car in the exact color. It was reliable and never fell apart, unlike the stupid 1989 Ford Aerostar we replaced it with, which started showing signs of failure within 2 years.

I have a good friend who bought the 2-door CRX version a year later in 1987. His job grew to involve a lot of commuting and when he sold the CRX about thirteen years later, it had 389,000 miles on it and the biggest reason he got rid of it was that the driver's seat was completely worn out and to replace it would have cost more than the car was worth!

Marty

I can't find a pick of mine, but it was a navy blue 1980 Olds Cutlass. It was all right angles. I loved that car, but it didn't last long.

When I went off to college in 91, I got an '86 Olds Cutlass Ciera that was my pride and joy. When I pretty much totalled it, I refused to let it go and patched it back together with doors and 1/4 panels from the junk yard. It moved from MA to TX w/ me and was like nothing seen before on the streets of Dallas- 4 colors on the drivers side and mismatched hubcaps.

When the engine finally blew, I had to let it go. I gave it gratis to the mechanic who had always admired my devotion to it and fixed it dirt cheap when it needed some love. I told him if he was able to use it for parts, I would be ok b/c it would live on in the bodies of the cars it helped.

Well, I held out as long as I could.

2776olds_4x4.jpg

Here is my first car/truck. my MOM was very protective of me.

Actually, this is what my first car looked like. Same color, but alot better shape. I am currently looking for MY pictures. I had to bum someone else's online.

72b.jpg

And, of course all of you here already know Charlene ! My current ride.

1474472_cutlass_supreme.jpg

Holy crap TJ, that car is nuts! Are you driving this thing in Cimmaron? The reason I ask is because I've seen that exact car (and paint job), driving down Red River Dr in Cimmaron several times. I almost hit a parked car one time breaking my neck when it drove by.

By the way, my first car was a 1974 Dodge Duster with a 318 Mopar. It was pretty fast until I through a rod and replaced the 318 with a 340. After that it was scary fast.

Holy crap TJ, that car is nuts! Are you driving this thing in Cimmaron? The reason I ask is because I've seen that exact car (and paint job), driving down Red River Dr in Cimmaron several times. I almost hit a parked car one time breaking my neck when it drove by.

By the way, my first car was a 1974 Dodge Duster with a 318 Mopar. It was pretty fast until I through a rod and replaced the 318 with a 340. After that it was scary fast.

That's me Gary, but don't tell anyone.

I have a good friend who bought the 2-door CRX version a year later in 1987. His job grew to involve a lot of commuting and when he sold the CRX about thirteen years later, it had 389,000 miles on it

Honda's are the best with reliability. That is the standard the rest of the automakers have to catch up too.

Archived